The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Is nightblade really better than Sorcerer?

Dr3sden
Dr3sden
✭✭✭
I see all this talk and it's leaving confused on what class to pick next as a character? Someone please advise?
Edited by Dr3sden on December 15, 2018 9:35AM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What do you want to do? If its DPS, then nightblade is the way to go, stamina or magic.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stam or mag? PvE or PvP? Solo? Small group? Large group? DPS, healer or tank?

You need to be more specific otherwise people will just say what's best for what they like to play.

BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Well. I mean sorcs are healers now.
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • Dr3sden
    Dr3sden
    ✭✭✭
    Horowonnoe wrote: »

really?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr3sden wrote: »

really?

You can bring them for minor prophecy and conduit synergy and they have the best burst heal in the game now that pets can't die.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

really?

To be more precise: One cutting-edge group did bring a sorc "healer" for their pad 3 vMoL HM burn. It worked, but mostly thanks to the group being that experienced and that good. Your average middle of the pack group is still better of with a templar/warden healer since they do need extra raw-healing and won't be able to utilize the benefits of a sorc healer - ability to bring another magblade instead of a sorc for conduit and minor prophecy - that effciently.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc is in a pretty bad place at the moment. Low DPS, low sustain, low survivability. And I say this as someone who loves Sorc and has mained one for years. I would recommend Nightblade or Templar. Nightblade requires more skill, Templar is easy.
  • Dr3sden
    Dr3sden
    ✭✭✭
    Sorc is in a pretty bad place at the moment. Low DPS, low sustain, low survivability. And I say this as someone who loves Sorc and has mained one for years. I would recommend Nightblade or Templar. Nightblade requires more skill, Templar is easy.

Will things be changed in future?
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Will things be changed in future?

There was some talk about sorc offense rebalance but it was confirmed that it is not coming next patch. And this is not something that will happen mid-patch too. So at least June of next year? Maybe even more.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pet Sorc is still one of the easiest classes to get good DPS on. They are not the best, but they aren't bad either.

I just wish the combat team would stop with the crusade against sustain and make all classes able to sustain a few rotations before going OOM.
    Playing since beta...
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I see all this talk and it's leaving confused on what class to pick next as a character? Someone please advise?

In case you are asking about a DPS role, then the question is not about sorc vs NB, but is "is sorc worth it at all"?

As of now, the answer is NO.

They got too much nerfed, as usual.

Mediocre, hard capped DPS. Mediocre defense at best (PvE). Abysmal "sustain" (basically, none). Dumb, boring rotation.
    Almost all class signature abilities taken away or made useless, so even "flavour" is not here any more.

Try asking again when the next expansion comes out, mid year 2019.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    sorc is kinda a joke atm. I definitely would not recommend it as a dps. Ive seen players say that its being used for healers but honestly sorc healers have always been a joke and they havent changed anything about healing for sorc. If i had to guess sorc healers arnt utilized as much for their healing but just to get the buffs without sacrificing a dps spot. Their just "off heals" material
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your crafting go orc sorc. Snicker.
  • Dr3sden
    Dr3sden
    ✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »

In case you are asking about a DPS role, then the question is not about sorc vs NB, but is "is sorc worth it at all"?

Mediocre, hard capped DPS. Mediocre defense at best (PvE). Abysmal "sustain" (basically, none). Dumb, boring rotation.
    Almost all class signature abilities taken away or made useless, so even "flavour" is not here any more.

Nerfs happen to Sorcs often?
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »

Nerfs happen to Sorcs often?

Every class has been getting nerfed lately. It's just that sorcs are really specialized and therefore can't compensate for nerfs well.
    Examples are Frag stun nerf, sorcs lack good stuns. Shield nerfs, sorcs rely heavily on shields. Sustain nerfs, sorcs have terrible sustain tools.
    Even buffs to other things can prove a real headache. The late rise of infused Oblivion enchants in PvP is a big problem, as sorcs don't have a lot of self-HoTs, as they were specifically designed to rely on shields.

To answer your original question, sorcs are not competitive these days. Not in PvE nor PvP. With a lot of knowledge and playing your cards right (PvE off-healer, PvP mobility), you can achieve some success, but you're not top tier.
    Nightblades are the dps kings in PvE, both stam and mag. They are a bit more specific in PvP, but can be top notch there, too. Magblades are strong in duels (unless against a mDK), stamblades can make good snipers or Oblivion and bleed abusers.
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people will be better on sorc, some on nightblade. If you like the look of a class then go with it, don't necessarily go with what people say is the best.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

really?

Since their pets do not die when in a group instance they have a solid emergency heal now. They are still not on par with the templar or warden for trial healing but are certainly better than a NB and probably a DK.
  • Dr3sden
    Dr3sden
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

really?

Since their pets do not die when in a group instance they have a solid emergency heal now. They are still not on par with the templar or warden for trial healing but are certainly better than a NB and probably a DK.

Sorc healing sounds fun... what could be improved for them over time?
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭

PVE Damage Dealer: Nightblade all the way.
    Veteran Maelstrom: Pet Sorc is still one of the easiest.
    PVP Stamina damage dealer: 50/50, Stamblade has insane burst damage but in the right hands a Stam Sorc is unstoppable.
    PVP Magicka damage dealer: Sorc, but not by too much.
    Tank: Used to be Nightblade but not so sure anymore thanks to the nerfs in Murkmire. Would say 50/50.
    Healer: Sorc with pets now that they can't die.

That's most of the roles a character can have at least. All in all, Nightblade got hit the biggest with the nerf stick in Murkmire. Don't really care what people say, ZOS gimped 2 main abilities that made NB's so versatile. Sorcs are fine, despite what people say.

To summarize, if you want to focus on PVE damage dealer, then go Nightblade, if you want to heal and tank, go Sorc. If you mainly PVP then you need to decide if you want to go stamina or magicka.

Hope this helped!
  • kaevix
    kaevix
    ✭✭✭
    Probably Literature class, I heard that teaches you the difference between "than" and "then".
    Why, when an AV actress leashes her pet slave and sits on his face she's called sexy or a babe, but when I do that to my pvp opponents, I'm called toxic?

Why, when someone swaps toons to a different faction to farm 25k AP for transmutes, it's seen as a bit of naughty fun, but when I delete my DC rank 50 Grand Overlord with 4000 hours clocked to create an EP Argonian, I'm called a faction swapper?

Say no to censorship lads.
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    kaevix wrote: »
    Probably Literature class, I heard that teaches you the difference between "than" and "then".

And how is this helpful?
  • kaevix
    kaevix
    ✭✭✭
    kaevix wrote: »

And how is this helpful?

This comment isn't really helpful, but I'm sure the class will be.
    Why, when an AV actress leashes her pet slave and sits on his face she's called sexy or a babe, but when I do that to my pvp opponents, I'm called toxic?

Why, when someone swaps toons to a different faction to farm 25k AP for transmutes, it's seen as a bit of naughty fun, but when I delete my DC rank 50 Grand Overlord with 4000 hours clocked to create an EP Argonian, I'm called a faction swapper?

Say no to censorship lads.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on your skills
  • cbritomiranda
    cbritomiranda
    ✭✭
    For Damage Dealer, StamBlades are the undisputed top class, they are better than sorc and any other class by far. we talk about damage today, we talk about nightblade. they have the best spam skill for stamina, a proc skill that deals a lot of damage (similar to the damage of a execute skill), has one of the best (if not the best) execute in the game, etc. etc.

I'll give you an example of a group content that is easy to do today for any organized group, which is Veteran Aetereal Archive. Do you know how many "magick class" you need in vAA today?
    Only one Sorc, because of liquid lightning. It is not because of sorc DPS, it is because of liquid lightning synergy.
    if you have a really good stamina group, maybe you even ignore liquid lightning and find a way to use another synergy.
    with a stamina-only group, I've seen groups finish it in 13 minutes.
    this input of things that are putting in the game, this amount of sets, this absurd amount of CP that increases with each patch: Today in vAA the tank pulls all the astronanarcs, pulls the boss, pulls all axes and holds it. you know why?
    because the fight against the last boss does not last a minute. They litteraly burn the boss, does not give time even for stamina run out.

If you want to play for fun, any class deals damage and makes you able to play the game. But if you want to be TOP, go from StamBlade, this is the current reality of ESO
    Edited by cbritomiranda on December 17, 2018 2:15PM
    Arielle Pendragon [] High Elf - Sorcerer [DD]
    Ataena Zastee [] Khajiit - Nightblade [DD]
    Marie Pendragon [] Breton - Nightblade [DD]
    Angeline Pendragon [] Breton - Templar [Healer]
    Freyja Stone-Singer [] Nord - Dragonknight [Tanker]
    Raelys the Flame [] High Elf - Dragonknight [Healer]
    Anne-Marie Pendragon [] Breton - Warden [Healer]
    Fairynn Frost-Moon [] Nord - Warden [Tanker]
    Asrin the Wise [] Khajiit - Sorcerer [DD]
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nb will get you higher dps numbers. Honestly, if you have issues with ani cancelling and weaving, id skip magblade.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you want to do? If its DPS, then nightblade is the way to go, stamina or magic.

So what I am trying to understand, is why is one class provided all of the DPS? I made a Dunmer magblade and honestly the magicka performance on it is so much better than my High Elf magsorc. I just wonder why ZOS has decided to waste so much time and effort on magsorcs, if they aren't give them a significant contribution to the DPS role.

It's not just DPS either. Nightblades have a tremedous agility advantage over every other class, so casting feels much more responsive and quicker. On my magsorc casting is slow, unresponsive, and casting just feels slow, cumbersome and sloppy.

So, yes, magblade is a way better build than magsorc.
    Edited by Mintaka5 on December 17, 2018 5:16PM
  • ConstanKar
    ConstanKar
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade is much better than sorcerer unless it's a bosmer healer sorcerer.
    Best leecher EU
    The one and only Älg
    Nikel belongs to the Pact!

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would say it's very much based on player skill.

PvE wise Sorcerer has an easier entry level for a player to be good, where's a Nightblade requires much more skill with weaving and rotations to be great.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Sorc is proably second to worst class at the moment both magical and stamina Sorcerers are outshined by the other classes what a sorc can do another class can probably do it better at this point there's absolutely no reason to play a sorc anymore unless you really like pets and sadly pets in this game need a rework to really be effective.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

really?

In some circumstances (see PTS forum) sorc pets still die even in group instances.

So, no. The emergency heal is still not solid.