The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Non-magic fighting

Droku
Droku
✭✭✭
Hi. I woud like it to get a possibility to fight without magic like in Skyrim or other elder scrolls games. I like to play normal warriors who just fight with normal weapons and no spells.
It seems that this is not really feasible in ESO. I can not find a alternative to play without spells or blinking effects. At least none wo have any chance to be good or at any rate usefull. If you not use all that magic and bright stuff, there is no chance to play acceptable and get any chance in pve or pvp.

And this is realy sad and kills the elder scrolls feeling for me personal.

Yours sincerely
Droku
Edited by Droku on December 13, 2018 10:34AM
Malacath sei Zeuge unserer Taten
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    um. well play a stam class. you can use two handed swords and stuff. and use morphs that benefit you as a stamina class.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you are willing to use the magicka skills long enough to get to the stamina morph, you can do this.

The only magicka skill my Stam Sorc uses is crit surge, and I could technically replace that with Vigor for dungeons and questing.

Ultimately, it comes down to what level of content you want to do, the harder the content, the more likely you are to need to use ALL your resources in one fashion or another. But for questing, its perfectly possible to use ONLY stamina. For harder content, you'll have to work to the point where you get those desired stam morphs, and you probably won't be meta, but the level of content you can do is more determined by your DPS which means figuring out your rotation until you get the number you want.

Now, if what you were hoping for was using only the weapon lines and no flashy class skills as you level up...

Well, that's be a little harder.

I'd definitely use Dual Wield and take the healing morphs on Twin Slashes and rapid strikes just to have self-healing. And those effects arent too bad.

If you can stand it, a Bow back bar, and fighters guild skills would be a natural complement. You'll want Caltrops from PVP, and Endless Hail from Bow. With that, you wont be meta, but you should have decent DPS. You only need about 10k to complete most normal dungeons anyways.

For PVP, you're looking at either a Bleed or a Sniper build, I suspect, with going stam only.

Ultimately, ESO is not set up to allow you to role play every character concept under the sun the way Skyrim is (and even Skyrim had a stealth archer meta). You can create most character builds in ESO, as long as you know your limits in PVE and PVP, I find it easier to level and then create my character concept with max level gear, but if you want to level as a stam only character, the above is how I'd do it.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 13, 2018 2:10PM
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if we had some class that, combined with different already disposable skill trees, could be completely centered in stamina. Some kind of barbarian or generic warrior.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you really want to, it's entirely possible to run with just stamina class+weapon+guild skills.

There was a thread awhile ago with people floating hypothetical versions of this, as well as options for magicka builds that don't use any class skills.

Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only magic ability I use on my Stam DK is Flames of Oblivion. Have yet to see a problem in endgame PVE stuff
  • Droku
    Droku
    ✭✭✭
    Hey. Thank you all for the answers.

I think I did not express myself clearly, I'm sorry for that.
    I don't talk about the resource "Magicka" i mean magic stuff like lightnings, fire, light effects etc.
    So i don't want to play "every character concept under the sun" i just like to play a normal warrior character. So i don't wish some special stamina build, i only woud like to see the possibility to play a very normal character with physical weapons and abilitys that don't look magic.

But anyway i think the problem is, that there is no "normal" class to choose,
    respectively that there even are "classes" and every one of them is special and element-based in it's own way.
    But if i don't use some class abilitys and only take weapon skills, there is no way to play good enugh to keep up with the other players or be useful.

And that's just too bad, because I think immersion is very important in every elder scrolls game.

Yours sincerely
    Droku
    Malacath sei Zeuge unserer Taten
  • RogueShark
    RogueShark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably not really what you're looking for, but if you wanted to play a werewolf, none of their abilities are flashy or overtly 'magical'. You are, of course, turning into a frickin' werewolf tho, so it's not quite just being a dude with a sword. But you can pull off decent DPS with just the werewolf skills.
    PC NA
    Will heal DPS for memes.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you can always come up with an RP build for generic overland questing, and a serious content build for playing through things that need you to bring your A game. Realism is not this games strong suit and such I think if you want to go play magicless skyrim/oblivion/morrowind you should do so, but multiplayer games are at their core competitive environments where everyone is trying to get the next edge on the competition to complete content faster. In the end you might just have to bend to the fact that you are going to need to use the flashy stuff every so often.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • Thorstienn
    Thorstienn
    ✭✭✭
    Droku wrote: »
    Hey. Thank you all for the answers.

I think I did not express myself clearly, I'm sorry for that.
    I don't talk about the resource "Magicka" i mean magic stuff like lightnings, fire, light effects etc.
    So i don't want to play "every character concept under the sun" i just like to play a normal warrior character. So i don't wish some special stamina build, i only woud like to see the possibility to play a very normal character with physical weapons and abilitys that don't look magic.

But anyway i think the problem is, that there is no "normal" class to choose,
    respectively that there even are "classes" and every one of them is special and element-based in it's own way.
    But if i don't use some class abilitys and only take weapon skills, there is no way to play good enugh to keep up with the other players or be useful.

And that's just too bad, because I think immersion is very important in every elder scrolls game.

Yours sincerely
    Droku

You can totally do it. And quite successfully I would imagine. Your suggesting something that sounds alien to many players as it "seems" anti meta and therefore would be useless.
    You are correct there is no generic class, so you have to just look at the options and pick what would work best, when you remove aspects of that classes damage;
    magicka builds obviously not.
    Stamplar, no: Aedeic spear line gives a lot of DPS and is very magical looking.
    StamDK, no: breathing poison, floating fire balls, green claws in the sky.
    Stamblade, maybe: lots of stabby action, but not sure if you like the red magical haze everywhere, and spectral bow is borderline.
    Stamwarden, maybe: pretty much weapon abilities, but "magical-ish" animals fighting with you.
    Stamsorc, yes!: only magical-ish ability you use anyway is hurricane. Without it you lose defense buffs and maybe 4% DPS (less as you will replace with a FG skill that would re-increase damage some)

TL;DR
    Totally viable for all game content (minus leaderboards runs). Go meta stamsorc build, swap hurricane for fighters guild skill of your choice.