Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Workaround for stuck in combat!

DeadlyRecluse
DeadlyRecluse
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Disclosure: this is very, very stupid. We should not have to do this. But it seems to work.

Kill yourself. I'm serious.

I've taken to carrying damage health potions. If I'm stuck in combat in PvP, I climb a keep, jump off, and chug the pot on impact. There's very little opportunity for a random passerby to kill you, you can respawn at any unflagged keep (skipping transitus entirely), as you are still in combat so it reads a bloodport.

EDIT: It sometimes, but not always, clears the "in-combat status, but even if that status persists you can bloodport to wherever you need to be.
Edited by DeadlyRecluse on December 13, 2018 5:23PM
Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried it, doesn't always work
    Beta tester November 2013
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Tried it, doesn't always work

That's a pity.

...wonder if there's a method to the madness. It's worked pretty much flawlessly for me.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In-Combat is totally broken. As near as I can tell, if you engage an enemy player but neither of you dies (one of you walks away), you're stuck in combat until you force-close the app and relog. No fast-travel, no mounting, nothing.
    PS4NA
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In-combat laughs at death. It shall haunt you in the next life and forever. There is no escape.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In-combat laughs at death. It shall haunt you in the next life and forever. There is no escape.

This is absolutely bizarre.

It works sometimes, and it always works for short-circuiting transitus, which is nice....

what a weird bug.
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    can't believe that ZOS employees are totally ignoring every single thread reporting the combat bug. it's a shame.
    Edited by frozywozy on December 13, 2018 5:12PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kill a mob, it will end combat.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Those helpful mobs inside keeps, yes.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't work all the time. I've tried this and still be stuck in combat. The only thing I've found that works fairly consistently is dying.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acknowledging reported problems seems to be ZOS's pet peeve, they just never ever ever ever ever want to do it. But sometimes, just to remain enigmatic, a problem gets a response within minutes of being reported.
    It's all part of the communication improvements they would like us to believe are happening. If I had a guess, eventually we'll see an acknowledgement and the possibility of the issue being addressed in the next update.
    "Update" meaning sometime in February, not in a patch, silly.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you do this, make sure you keep those potions quick slotted at all times, since you can't change what's in your wheel while in combat.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow reported for telling me to kill myself jk
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jumping off top level in keeps/outposts has worked every time to get me out of combat....even if troll king or some random heal makes the ring a round the rosy more painful than it should be.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 bucks says the incombat bug is related to the cyro map updating everyone's position so it can create crosses on the map UI lol
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like dying, reviving in Southern High Rock and being stuck in combat....
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    Acknowledging reported problems seems to be ZOS's pet peeve, they just never ever ever ever ever want to do it. But sometimes, just to remain enigmatic, a problem gets a response within minutes of being reported.
    It's all part of the communication improvements they would like us to believe are happening. If I had a guess, eventually we'll see an acknowledgement and the possibility of the issue being addressed in the next update.
    I think Tasear was popular because they would acknowledge so many issues, a basic and essential step of customer service that ZOS completely fails at.

Unfortunately, what I think we have with ZOS is a company with a financially successful product that has the luxury of completely ignoring and basically mistreating certain segments of its customer base like AvA players because we're a small part of their income.

I would bet that some at ZOS revel in it because to them we're just angry, unappreciative customers that can go somewhere else if we don't like it. Sort of like your cable company when they're the only high speed internet in town.

@ZOS_Ginabruno "We understand you're experiencing $issue. We're sorry for the inconvenience. I've let $party_responsible know it's happening and I'll get back to you when we know more about it. Thank you very much for your business."
    Edited by zyk on December 18, 2018 11:06PM
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    I think Taesar was popular because they would acknowledge so many issues, a basic and essential step of customer service that ZOS completely fails at.

Unfortunately, what I think we have with ZOS is a company with a financially successful product that has the luxury of completely ignoring and basically mistreating certain segments of its customer base like AvA players because we're a small part of their income.

I would bet that some at ZOS revel in it because to them we're just angry, unappreciative customers that can go somewhere else if we don't like it. Sort of like your cable company when they're the only high speed internet in town.

@ZOS_Ginabruno "We understand you're experiencing $issue. We're sorry for the inconvenience. I've let $party_responsible know it's happening and I'll get back to you when we know more about it. Thank you very much for your business."

+1 Awesome for the NiN in your sig
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Equilibrium spam and ravage health pot works 100% of the time for me.
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slaughter-fish + very tall Cliffs are actually your friends in this patch.
    Use them liberally and often.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ruckly wrote: »
    Equilibrium spam and ravage health pot works 100% of the time for me.

This used to be my default mode for bloodporting. With the in-combat bug, though I find I can keep room on my quickslots for ravage health pots, but I can't give up a slot for equilibrium.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To avoid combat bug from happening:

- Don't join big groups, preferably play solo. I know this is *** for many people, but works fine for me since I usually am solo or duo.

- Finish all your fights. This is probably the most important one. If you hit any passerby you will be stuck in combat until that person dies. Either make sure to only attack people you or the people around you can kill or make sure you get killed. That's especially important for fighting nightblades, if I see someone cloaking around and know I will most likely not be able to catch him I just won't even bother to attack him at all.

To leave combat (sadly not 100% reliable, but close enough usually):

- Dying is the easiest way. There are lot's of cliffs, towers and water with slaughter fish. You can combine this with the suicide pots many people mentioned here.

- Killing something. Since the Murkmire patch I learned about a lot of places in cyro with PvE enemies just because of this. Guards and players also work, but have their own difficulties.

Also do note that the problem is way worse during primetime.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NupidStoob wrote: »
    - Don't join big groups, preferably play solo. I know this is *** for many people, but works fine for me since I usually am solo or duo.

I get the bug a couple times a night when solo. It might make it better but certainly doesn't eliminate it.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just use Godsbane whenever I need it.

OH WAIT WRONG GAME.
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »
    can't believe that ZOS employees are totally ignoring every single thread reporting the combat bug. it's a shame.

If they acknowledge it, they'll be held accountable to fix it. Can't have that.
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Switch to another campaign then come back to the one your were in. Works every time however you will be back at one of your factions gates and will have to travel back to where you were.

We should not have to do any of these walk arounds's if ZOS would do their job and fix the Combat Bug Issue that has been going on for some time. But like all the other major issues they turn a blind eye.
  • brittany7734
    brittany7734
    Soul Shriven
    Stuck in a wall, in combat, can't kill the things keeping me in combat and they cannot kill me for respawn, so should I just delete my main????? Whaaaaatttt????? Soooo annoyed right now!
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuck in a wall, in combat, can't kill the things keeping me in combat and they cannot kill me for respawn, so should I just delete my main????? Whaaaaatttt????? Soooo annoyed right now!

submit a ticket, they will move your toon.
  • brittany7734
    brittany7734
    Soul Shriven
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

submit a ticket, they will move your toon.

Thank you. I didn't know there was a way to do that but after looking for it I found it.... Hopefully the fix it... Thanks for the help. Its pretty bad that its such a common problem that one of the options to select while submitting the ticket was "Stuck in Combat." Kinda sad...
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pathetic they won't fix this game-breaking bug after months and months.

They actually have done patches to restrict what you are able to do while stuck in combat.

This is why I can't them seriously about performance. They can't even fix a simple combat bug, I doubt they will be able to do anything with performance.

Though from what I understand they'd said they could fix this, they are just choosing not to. Not a priority.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killing oneself is not a workaround. I have been left in combat even after reserecting at a keep that was not in combat or even had combat near it.

It would seem, though I could be wrong, this is related to the changes Zos made last year to prevent us from changing skills when we were in combat if we had not taken or given damage for a short duration.

That was a very small issue the worked to stop that caused a much bigger issue that would be easy fix. Considering Zos has not said anything to the contrary and has not pinned this to the Dev Tracker this only reasonable explanation is they do not consider this important.