The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Whats with the 5 piece bonuses ?

H3IIi0N
H3IIi0N
✭✭
I’ve always wondered why they say for example, “dealing 1300 Physical Damage every 0.4 seconds for 1.2 seconds. This effect can occur once every 3 seconds.”

Why not just state a total ? Does 3900 every 3 sec...

Its like every piece has this. Does 986 damage every 3 seconds for 6 seconds. Just put the total amount.
Denubis Djinn Dunmer DK - XB1 NA EP
Derpy Derpwnz Khajit NB - XB1 NA AD
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well we kinda like to know how often things happen so we can calculate maximum efficiency
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you know exactly where your dmg is coming from and so you can build around it properly. For example, implosion has a chance to proc from each physical damage, so one instance of 3900 damage would be worse than three lots of 1300 damage. If a set misleads you by simplifying the information then you might miss out and find it harder making a build.

Edited by Crixus8000 on December 13, 2018 5:22AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    H3IIi0N wrote: »
    I’ve always wondered why they say for example, “dealing 1300 Physical Damage every 0.4 seconds for 1.2 seconds. This effect can occur once every 3 seconds.”

Its like every piece has this. Does 986 damage every 3 seconds for 6 seconds. Just put the total amount.

Because that would be a different effect.

"X damage every Y seconds for Z time," will (usually) be direct damage. It will scale with Master-At-Arms. This most often gets attached to abilities that apply a ground area effect. In this case, the proc will only do damage at those moments, for that amount. If something exits the field, they won't take the rest of the damage.

Abilities and 5pc bonuses that say, "X damage over Y seconds" are damage over time effects. These scale with Thaumaturge, and usually refer to abilities that attach to a target and continue to deal damage during the duration.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . "X damage every Y seconds for Z time," will (usually) be direct damage.

That's damage over time and if it is getting buffed by MaA that is a bug
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And why not? That's a better and accurate description. Many things of this game you don't know how they really work because the description is very poor.
  • mxxo
    mxxo
    ✭✭✭✭

I dont get why you want to have it less accurate, makes no sense. It makes a difference if damage hits already after 1 sec or later after 3 seconds. So its good to know.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the descriptions for skills and sets would be better if written in the same style like "10k dmg over 10 secs in 5 ticks @ 2k dmg every 2 secs"
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No. We need to know how often something procs, as it can have knock on effects on Skoria proc rate and so on. We need to know whether something is a channel or not. We need something to gauge how effective it may be in PvP. The distance and the proc frequency factor into that. Is it burst or pressure? We need to figure out how likely it is to proc Crit Surge heals and other secondary effects. We need to know whether it may be buffed by Thaumaturge CP or Master At Arms. Need I go on?
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    because it's a DOT, and it's telling us how much damage it does and how often.