Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

HEAVILY UPDATED: Magicka Controller passive — giving max magicka on the WRONG bar

TheYKcid
TheYKcid
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
[PC/NA]

"Magicka Controller", a passive in the Mages Guild (MG) skill line, is providing its 2% (or more, if stacked) max mag bonus to the opposite bar (ie. the one that DOESN'T have MG skill/s slotted) under certain conditions.

This affects all MG skills I've tested it on—Equilibrium, Meteor, and Magelight (although the "Inner Light" morph of Magelight, specifically, has a unique immunity, see more details below*). On occasion, the passive will appear to initially function normally, but becomes bugged upon the first barswap you perform. If you slot an MG skill on both bars, you get the bonus on both bars regardless of the bug's presence (as each bar would give its bonus to the opposite one).

What aspects of combat does this bug affect?
  • Ability tooltips — YES
  • Actual ability values, when used — NO
  • Sufficient resource check — YES (example: if your bar is only supposed to have 2.5k mag, but erroneously displays 3k because of the bug, then you will be allowed to cast a spell requiring 3k mag, despite not "actually" having enough mag. Converse also applies, and you will be prohibited from casting something if the bug brings your displayed magicka below threshold)

Notably, the bug's behaviour can be inverted with 100% reproducibilityevery time you relog, the bar on which you receive the max mag bonus gets inverted (ie. if it was stuck on your backbar, after relogging it will be stuck on your frontbar, and vice versa). Zoning usually has the same effect, though it has sometimes ceased to work for me until my next login session.

*Regarding Inner Light—slotting this particular ability morph will "lock" the Magicka Controller bonus onto the bar you put it on, even when you are experiencing a bugged state. It's possible that the Magicka Controller bonus is somehow associated/coupled with Inner Light's own innate 5% max mag bonus (evidenced by how the unmorphed and Radiant versions of the skill don't exert this effect).

Magicka Regen portion of the passive works normally on the appropriate bar in all cases. Going double-unarmed on both bars locks both to the same max mag value, regardless of how many MG skills are slotted, or the presence/absence of the bug.

This issue may be related to the bug affecting NB Magicka Flood passive which also adds a % to max magicka, and is known to sometimes affect the wrong bar. Pasts threads on the topic:
Edited by TheYKcid on December 12, 2018 4:53PM
PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not fixed as of PC/Mac v4.2.10 incremental patch.
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have reported this bug a week ago, with screenshots ect......no response so far

But i only managed to get the bug on my dk, other friends also mentioned to get the bug only on their dks
    Which class did youget the big on?

PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magsorc @SaintSubwayy
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @SaintSubwayy I've now tested on my other toons—one a DK and the other an NB. The bug occurs on the the DK but not the NB.

However if you look at past threads concerning the Magicka Flood passive, it's been reported that the bug may or may not affect different toons of the same class.

Even on the same toon, the bug may not be consistent. I did a few hours of PvP on my Sorc today, and Magicka Controller was giving me the mag on my frontbar as intended (via slotting Meteor). However, after I hopped to a different campaign, the mag boost flipped onto my backbar and stayed there for the rest of the day.

I can't see any obvious discernable pattern to the occurrence of this bug, and I really hope ZOS can figure it out.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can confirm this is unrelated to the barswap weapon model bug (where your character animates the swap, and your weapon models switch places, but your skillbar doesn't budge).

I just experienced the barswap bug, and my max mag boost from Magicka Controller remained on its original bar.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Made some heavy edits to the OP, in light of some new results I obtained from testing the bug further:
    • Relogging, and sometimes zoning, can either reset or initiate the bug (depending on the original state your character was in)
    • Further investigated the anomalous behaviour of the Inner Light morph
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    Made some heavy edits to the OP, in light of some new results I obtained from testing the bug further:
    • Relogging, and sometimes zoning, can either reset or initiate the bug (depending on the original state your character was in)

Thanks for the testing!

Have any poisons? specific items? enchants?

The old poison bug lowering your max stats is enough precedence to ask for all instances where this new bug takes place.
    We should check EVERYTHING to see if maybe it's a specific condition that is normalized.

Thanks!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    TheYKcid wrote: »

Thanks for the testing!

Have any poisons? specific items? enchants?

The old poison bug lowering your max stats is enough precedence to ask for all instances where this new bug takes place.
    We should check EVERYTHING to see if maybe it's a specific condition that is normalized.

Thanks!

@Minno

The poison bug (lowering max stats) had to do with consumables inheriting the level & quality of the poison. In previous patches it was food, and currently enchants are suffering from this as well (I have another bug report open on this issue). Knowing this, we would expect neither poisons nor enchants to be relevant to this issue. I did test to make sure, though, and can confirm that neither have any bearing on the behaviour of this bug

That said, your suggestion to test the effect of gear upturned something interesting. While unequipping armor and jewelry had no effect, I discovered that going double-unarmed resulted in both bars being locked to the same max mag value, regardless of the presence of the bug or however many MG skills you slotted on either bar.

Makes me wonder if the Wolfhunter update (that made unarmed an actual "bar" that you can swap to& from) is the root cause of this. I know for a fact that this new functionality confuses the outfit system. For eg. if you have an outfit over your frontbar weapon, swap to unarmed backbar, then swap back, your frontbar weapon will lose its skin and display the actual model underneath.

Updating the OP with this tidbit, thanks.
    Edited by TheYKcid on December 4, 2018 7:24PM
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Added a list to the OP detailing which aspects of combat this bug actually affects, based on more testing.

Ability tooltips are boosted/reduced by the change in mag. However, actually casting the abilities will result in the expected, non-buggy effect. Tested with offensive spells & mag-scaling wards.

Out-of-resource check (i.e when the game stops you from casting something that you have insufficient resources for) will strictly follow the amount of mag displayed on your UI, and is thus susceptible to this bug.

Seems to suggest a client-side issue?
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this too.
    Making the back bar shields bigger lol
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Malamar1229

It actually doesn't, interestingly! See my previous post.

Your skills will scale normally, as if the buggy extra mag wasn't there. While their tooltips will show higher numbers, it's all fake.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not fixed as of PC/Mac v4.2.11 incremental patch.
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrpaxman wrote: »

well not everyone has this bug, its kinda strange....but the spagetthi code doesnt simplify this for ZOS.

It's proven to be a Bug, since some ppl could recreate it, but others couldnt. So its a Bug, which is tied to something special that the chars having it, have different from the chars that dont have the bug.

It's not the communitys jobs to find the problem which causes the bug, nor to fix it.

And its always the same problem with the communication with ZOS....it doesnt exist!
    If they would atleas add a marker that they have seen the Bug, on the thread in which it is reported, that would help out.

Maybe markers for: Bug noticed, but not found the Code error / Bug noticed, code error found / Bug noticed, Code error correction in Progress / and Bug Fixed.

Just add that to the Forum post, ,maybe even with a color according tho the bug status.
    So ppl could see that the bug has already been noticed by ZOS, and they are already working on it, so we could help and provide infos to how we got the bug in the first place.
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree, just because ZOS has trouble replicating it doesn't mean they shouldn't pursue it further. They should keep trying til they do.

That said, I'll openly admit this isn't a serious bug. While the tooltips may lie, your server-side stats stay constant so your abilities will always do the correct amount of damage/healing etc. The only functional consequence of this bug is how it affects the check for sufficient resources (which I infer is client-side).

But it would be nice if we could at least get some indication/acknowledgement, so I wouldn't have to worry that all the testing & documenting I do isn't for nothing...
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrpaxman wrote: »

I love how gina was like "we cant reproduce this bug" and OP was like "hold my beer" ::posts screenshots before/after mage guild::
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual