Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

It's time to add furniture mats to the surveys

Carbonised
Carbonised
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Pretty much title. Back in the Homestead update, furnishing mats were left out of crafting surveys so ZOS had a way to limit the amount of mats that players could get from day 1. Well, it's been more than 2 years now, and there's no need to restrict mats from the players any more.
Surveys are already very time consuming and involves porting, load screens and running time, which is balanced by the material gains you get. Most surveys are worth the time and effort, except enchanting, which is arguably the worst surveys by far, seeing that everything you get from them has very low value and can easily be bought for gold for next to nothing.

So, I suggest we add furniture mats to the surveys, it's about time now. The added regulus, heartwood, bast, pelts and alchemy resin isn't worth a lot, but it's a nice little boon to add to the crafting surveys, for a dedicated crafter to use themselves, or sell on to others. The mundane runes can be worth quite a lot, and adding them to the surveys will make enchanting surveys so much more rewarding to get and to use, whereas now you're pretty much just wasting time to pick up a couple handful of runes worth 20 gold or less a piece.
As for decorative wax, since provisioning doesn't have any surveys, I suggest having a chance to receive an amount of them with your daily provisioning reward box. The chance and amount should of course match that of the surveys of the other crafting skills.
Provisioning also isn't the most rewarding daily quest, Ambrosia recipes are not that rare and cost very little, the mats you get from provisioning is also very cheap, and adding a chance to get some wax from the reward boxes is a nice addition as well.

Obviously ZOS would have to keep an eye out on the influx of mats so that there is no massive imbalance, but with the amount of new houses they release, I don't foresee that being a huge problem, as it does take an awful lot of mats to furnish a large house for just 1 person.

Edited by Carbonised on December 13, 2018 2:10AM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that it's time to add them to the surveys. Give them the same drop rate as nirncrux. Or lower, if necessary.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes PLEASE
    PC-EU @lientier
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes it is
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have even been running low on decorative wax lately..
    Edited by lientier on December 12, 2018 9:28AM
    PC-EU @lientier
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with op and it seems the drop rate is a little higher when stealing from containers than when looting for wax
  • videogamer951
    videogamer951
    Soul Shriven
    right on my friend!!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I disagree with the OP.

This time I don’t.

Not a bad idea ...
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with op and it seems the drop rate is a little higher when stealing from containers than when looting for wax

Tomb urns have the best drop rate: Vvardenfell or Summerset.

Heartwood has a lower drop rate than regulus or bast, and is used in more recipes in greater amounts. Mundane drop rate has been lowered lately or players are now taking mundane from nodes when they leave ta and essence runes.

I would LOVE furnishing mats in surveys, would really lower my farming time. Then I can spend more time decorating my houses and getting achievements fot dyes.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This! Please ZOS! Especially mundane rune--it's such a pain to farm, and it's needed for almost everything.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there possibly a case for specific furnishing surveys, that would get you nothing but those mats?

I have no idea how to add those, however, unless it's an even less frequent substitute for the other surveys. Chance related to how often you craft furnishings, so you don't see them at all if you don't do furnishings.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Is there possibly a case for specific furnishing surveys, that would get you nothing but those mats?

I have no idea how to add those, however, unless it's an even less frequent substitute for the other surveys. Chance related to how often you craft furnishings, so you don't see them at all if you don't do furnishings.

Well they did set precedent with the New Life Festival with the potential to introduce furnishing crafting writs.

Just add a single green/white-level furnishing writ to the daily writ board that would have the same rate of return for surveys as the other writs. Whatever type of furnishing you were required to craft that day would influence what furnishing mat survey you'd get. (Ex. blueprint = heartwood survey, design = bast/hide, praxis = mundane rune, etc)
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Well they did set precedent with the New Life Festival with the potential to introduce furnishing crafting writs.

Just add a single green/white-level furnishing writ to the daily writ board that would have the same rate of return for surveys as the other writs. Whatever type of furnishing you were required to craft that day would influence what furnishing mat survey you'd get. (Ex. blueprint = heartwood survey, design = bast/hide, praxis = mundane rune, etc)

Not really a great idea, no. The idea was to make the regular surveys more valuable, especially trash surveys like enchanting ones. The idea wasn't to add MORE surveys that would require even MORE time gathering, since some people already use a lot of time just to gather surveys. No need to complicate it, just add furnishing mats to the surveys.

The other part of the idea, furnishing writ dailies like crafting dailies, isn't necessarily a bad one, but it's another topic altogether.
  • xpixelatedtkox
    xpixelatedtkox
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, no one said you had to actually complete the surveys...
    Considering furniture mats are not as easily obtainable, it would be nice to have surveys for those as well.
    I'd much rather make my own furniture than buy it... but mats seem hard to come by.
    PC - NA
    Guild: Vanquish
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Feric51 wrote: »

Not really a great idea, no. The idea was to make the regular surveys more valuable, especially trash surveys like enchanting ones. The idea wasn't to add MORE surveys that would require even MORE time gathering, since some people already use a lot of time just to gather surveys. No need to complicate it, just add furnishing mats to the surveys.

The other part of the idea, furnishing writ dailies like crafting dailies, isn't necessarily a bad one, but it's another topic altogether.

I was simply responding to @ghastley's comment about how ZOS could potentially introduce furnishing mat-specific surveys, not saying I wanted that system to unfold.

Back to the OP's suggestion on adding furnishing mats to regular surveys, I will again state my wholehearted agreement. Using another current system in place that shows this could potentially be added with little/no issues, look no further than the jewelry surveys. Each node on a jewelry survey has the possibility to return a pulverized titanium trait grain. This shows that they can add any item to the node loot pool for surveys just like regular nodes.

We're on the same page here @Carbonised ;)
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necroing because OP still valid.

Farming furnishing mats is almost as grindy as jewellery mat farming. I farmed for 2 hours today and got 2 heartwoods, 4 mundane runes and 4 basts (plus a number of regulus). Ridiculous.

It struck me that we could have an additional crafting skill morph that increases the chances of getting furnishing mats from nodes, including survey nodes. That would make it optional since not everyone crafts furniture (I assume).
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    Necroing because OP still valid.

Farming furnishing mats is almost as grindy as jewellery mat farming. I farmed for 2 hours today and got 2 heartwoods, 4 mundane runes and 4 basts (plus a number of regulus). Ridiculous.
    Plus, they go so quickly. I’ll wait a week or so after diligently picking nodes on my travels, thinking I’ve amassed a good chunk of furnishing mats. Then I go to make some stuff for one of my houses, and 3-4 pieces later I’m out.
    Especially flour. Does a single apple really require *that* much flour? (though I’ve since discovered Cyro, of all places, has flour for days).
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    or like the tiny tiny gold furniture the tortoise uses 20 bonemold... o.O
    PC-EU @lientier
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    doomette wrote: »
    Especially flour. Does a single apple really require *that* much flour? (though I’ve since discovered Cyro, of all places, has flour for days).

I have never used flour in furniture at home.

Who thought this was a great idea in the game?
    PC
    PS4/PS5