The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why does my game keep breaking??

Elara_Northwind
Elara_Northwind
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Each time there is some sort of update, or patch, my game stops working, and the launcher tries to tell me to install the game again, even though it is already installed. I have had to delete and reinstall the game countless times over the last month or two, and I just went to log in this morning, and it has happened again :confounded: I can get to the log in screen if I open the game without the launcher, but I cannot actually log in because the launcher did not download the last patch. Does anybody know of a way that I can download the last patch without the launcher somehow? Or fix my launcher so it stops breaking? It's driving me insane! :sweat_smile:
Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    I've been struggling to play this game for two months already... I figured out running the Blizzard Launcher solves all my problems. Its then that I realize its NOT my PC, its NOT my router, its NOT my ISP and its not Africa.
    Edited by Korax on December 3, 2018 11:15AM
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been 'repairing' my game for days now. It is so frustrating too, because of the event! I was really excited about doing it and getting my boxes each day, but I can't even get in to the game! :cry: It took a few days when Murkmire was released for me to be able to play too. I can't be doing this each time there is an update/patch! It is ridiculous! :joy:

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Elara_Northwind @Korax
    Each time there is some sort of update, or patch, my game stops working, and the launcher tries to tell me to install the game again, even though it is already installed. I have had to delete and reinstall the game countless times over the last month or two, and I just went to log in this morning, and it has happened again :confounded: I can get to the log in screen if I open the game without the launcher, but I cannot actually log in because the launcher did not download the last patch. Does anybody know of a way that I can download the last patch without the launcher somehow? Or fix my launcher so it stops breaking? It's driving me insane! :sweat_smile:
    According to ZOS, Internet Service Providers and various other enterprises which control the Internet infrastructure have adopted policies and practices that can cause the Launcher to fail when it atttempts to update the game installation and game client.

Does the Launcher actually display a message that instructs you to re-install the game? Ordinarily, you should be able to avoid re-installing the game by using the Launcher's Game Options menu to select Repair Files. The Launcher then verifies whether the game installation is correct, and, if it finds a problem, it will download the file(s) that are needed to correct each problem that it finds. (See the Note below.)

However, a recent problem is that when the Launcher attempts to download an update to the game software, it either displays the message "download stalled", or it downloads part of the update before it stops ("stalls"). Then Windows eventually displays a notice, and ends Launcher's run because it has "stalled".

Many players report that the Launcher does not stall when they use a VPN to connect to the Bethesda TESO network and megaserver. So that is probably the easiest alternative to adopt for updating the game installation and game client. Note that you should not need to continue using a VPN to play the game after it is updated.

There are also tedious and time-consuming workarounds, one of which is to download the update files with a browser and install them in the "patchdatabuild" folders which Launcher created before it attempted to download them. If you don't want to use, or cannot use, a VPN, then please read Message #393 in the discussion about the November 13 failure. It describes two work-arounds for updating the game installation and game client. Scroll down a bit until you find the post on page 14 by hobbes2424_ESO:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/434017/eso-launcher-crashes-on-update-9-04-2018/p14

NOTE: Also, each and every time that the game client crashes -- exits to the Windows desktop without displaying a Crash Report for the player to record what they were doing when the crash occurred -- then the player should use the Launcher Game Options > Repair Files feature. Almost certainly, the game client did not have an opportunity to "close" one or more files which it was reading and/or writing. If any open files were damaged, and their installation is not repaired, then there is a risk that the game client will malfunction when it is re-launched. If it does, then the game client might corrupt the state of the game which is recorded on the megaserver by sending it incorrect data. There is nothing that a player can do to rectify the corruption when that happens, and it will be unlikely that Bethesda can remedy the corruption, too. This outcome is, ordinarily, very unlikely, but when it does happen, it is disastrous. Better safe than sorry. :neutral:

Edited by Shadowshire on December 4, 2018 5:12PM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Elara_Northwind @Korax
    According to ZOS, Internet Service Providers and various other enterprises which control the Internet infrastructure have adopted policies and practices that can cause the Launcher to fail when it atttempts to update the game installation and game client.

Does the Launcher actually display a message that instructs you to re-install the game? Ordinarily, you should be able to avoid re-installing the game by using the Launcher's Game Options menu to select Repair Files. The Launcher then verifies whether the game installation is correct, and, if it finds a problem, it will download the file(s) that are needed to correct each problem that it finds. (See the Note below.)

However, a recent problem is that when the Launcher attempts to download an update to the game software, it either displays the message "download stalled", or it downloads part of the update before it stops ("stalls"). Then Windows eventually displays a notice, and ends Launcher's run because it has "stalled".

Many players report that the Launcher does not stall when they use a VPN to connect to the Bethesda TESO network and megaserver. So that is probably the easiest alternative to adopt for updating the game installation and game client. Note that you should not need to continue using a VPN to play the game after it is updated.

There are also tedious and time-consuming workarounds, one of which is to download the update files with a browser and install them in the "patchdatabuild" folders which Launcher created before it attempted to download them. If you don't want to use, or cannot use, a VPN, then please read Message #393 in the discussion about the November 13 failure. It describes two work-arounds for updating the game installation and game client. Scroll down a bit until you find the post on page 14 by hobbes2424_ESO:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/434017/eso-launcher-crashes-on-update-9-04-2018/p14

NOTE: Also, each and every time that the game client crashes -- exits to the Windows desktop without displaying a Crash Report for the player to record what they were doing when the crash occurred -- then the player should use the Launcher Game Options > Repair Files feature. Almost certainly, the game client did not have an opportunity to "close" one or more files which it was reading and/or writing. If any open files were damaged, and their installation is not repaired, then there is a risk that the game client will malfunction when it is re-launched. If it does, then the game client might corrupt the state of the game which is recorded on the megaserver by sending it incorrect data. There is nothing that a player can do to rectify the corruption when that happens, and it will be unlikely that Bethesda can remedy the corruption, too. This outcome is, ordinarily, very unlikely, but when it does happen, it is disastrous. Better safe than sorry. :neutral:

@Shadowshire thank you so much for all of that info! Super helpful :smiley: I got all excited about 20 minutes ago, thinking that my game had finally sorted itself out, the play button even appeared, but nope. Fatal Error 12 now :sweat_smile:

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One habit I have gotten into when I have a Launcher issue is to reboot the PC. Also, if I get two game crashes in close to each other, a reboot is called for.

Now, for the last 2 or 3 months, and really going back longer than that, I have no real updating issues that even required an reboot. So, two possible causes, well, 3.

1. The ports for the game are no longer open on your Router.
    2. You have not allowed the Launcher in Windows Firewall, game is not enough.
    3. There is some new app you installed that is causing conflicts, so do a Clean Boot (google for instructions
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Elara_Northwind
    @Elara_Northwind @Korax

@Shadowshire thank you so much for all of that info! Super helpful :smiley: I got all excited about 20 minutes ago, thinking that my game had finally sorted itself out, the play button even appeared, but nope. Fatal Error 12 now :sweat_smile:
    You're welcome!

According to the Support Knowledge Base, Fatal Error 12 means that you need to run the Launcher Game Options > Repair Files utility, which I described in the Note at the end of my response to your dilemma. Following is a link to the instructions for running it:

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2421/kw/Fatal%20Error%2012

There are additional instructions for uninstalling the Launcher and re-installing it, perchance the Launcher program itself is corrupted. They make some assumptions about where the Launcher is installed and the mention of multiple versions of the Launcher seems outdated. However, if using the set of Support instructions do not resolve the problem, or you need further assistance using them, then please let us know. :wink:

Edited by Shadowshire on December 7, 2018 7:19AM

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    One habit I have gotten into when I have a Launcher issue is to reboot the PC. Also, if I get two game crashes in close to each other, a reboot is called for.

Now, for the last 2 or 3 months, and really going back longer than that, I have no real updating issues that even required an reboot. So, two possible causes, well, 3.

3. There is some new app you installed that is causing conflicts, so do a Clean Boot (google for instructions
    Gee, and I thought that rebooting the hardware or the operating system to resolve problems with an application program was abandoned after MS-DOS was no longer the Microsoft OS. Most users skipped (or missed) using Windows 2000, which was a modification of Windows NT that ran on servers. But Windows XP and its successors have been the mainstay since about year 2000.

So, I have no idea why it apparently works for you. But with my current usage of a computer running Windows 7 SP1, rebooting either the hardware or the operating system to resolve problems with Launcher makes no sense.

As to the router ports, after they are configured and the configuration is applied, it should remain indefinitely. If it doesn't then the player needs to replace the router.

You are right about configuring Windows Firewall to permit Launcher to receive unsolicited incoming packets. However, simply configuring the router ports for Port Forwading or Port Triggering is not enough.The player also needs to configure Windows Firewall to allow unsolicited incoming packets received at those ports through the firewall, else they will be "dropped". I forgot about that after I had to re-install Windows 7 SP1 on the computer, but it has since been done.

• Atreidus
    Atreidus
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. I had found a common problem at the beta already: The launcher needs admin rights to be working fast, smooth and without an crash.

Is your launcher having got them?

ps.: a port opening is not neccesary at every system. The oposite: it seems to allow suspecious persons to miss using them.

Result after 1 installation and now no admin rights: "Install again". Why ZoS is not including a permissions request at the launcher as standard? Win 7+ etc.(now 10) is not giving out any permissions without this.

Fast solving: close and relaunch with admin rights. Do NOT! install again please.

After the launched launcher(how ironic): click this small cog wheel at the lower left box of your launcher and do a repair to be sure all files are ok.

ps. What i menat is the "harddrive - access - permission".
    Edited by Atreidus on December 6, 2018 1:53AM
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Elara_Northwind
    Atreidus wrote: »
    Hi. I had found a common problem at the beta already: The launcher needs admin rights to be working fast, smooth and without an crash.

Is your launcher having got them?
    @Atreidus is correct. To run the Launcher with Administrative Rights:
    1. Click the Right Mouse Button (RMB) on the Launcher's desktop shortcut to show the context menu.
    2. Click the LMB on Properties (near the bottom of the menu).
    3. Select the Compatibility tab on the dialog that Windows displays.
    4. In the Privilege Level section near the bottom, check the box for "Run this program as an administrator".
    5. Close the context menu.
    .... After the launched launcher (how ironic): click this small cog wheel at the lower left box of your launcher and do a repair to be sure all files are ok.
    Yes, if you haven't done that recently, then repair the files.
    .... ps.: a port opening is not neccesary at every system. The oposite: it seems to allow suspecious persons to miss using them.
    Yes, there is a risk that a hacker scanning for open ports can find them, at least on the router. An alternative to using Port Forwarding is Port Triggering, which opens the port only when a packet arrives, then forwards it to the corresponding port on the designated computer. This will ordinarily prevent "scanning" utilities which implement algorithims to detect "open ports" from finding them since such a port is open for only a few milliseconds. (All routers do not have Port Triggering as a feature, however.)

As far as I know, while there is a router between the Internet connection and a computer, a hacker cannot discover which, if any, ports are open in the computer's firewall to incoming packets. However, when they find a router port open, they can send a packet to it to see whether it reaches a computer. Whether they can discover that the packet was also passed through the computer's firewall, and what the outcome was afterward, I do not know.

The Bethesda/ZOS Support instructions simply list the ports which must be "open", and they mention that the same ports must also be "open" in the firewall, too. Other instructions state that the computer's anti-malware software must be configured to not interfere with packets received from and sent to the megaserver.

The risk is that the list of ports which must be open is public information. Anyone who wants to target computers that are used to play TESO will almost certainly know which ports to scan. That significantly increases the likelihood that they will find a computer with which someone is playing TESO (assuming that the player using it has, in fact, opened them).

The instructions which I have read don't include any specific procedure to use for opening ports, either on a router or in a firewall. And I have not read any instructions for configuring anti-malware to permit packets to be exchanged. My computer runs Windows 7 Microsoft Security Essentials, which does not have a feature for monitoring traffic through ports.

• Atreidus
    Atreidus
    ✭✭✭
    Some providers are even monitoring the traffic at your routers and trying to protect it. Even Your Wifi/Wlan(at your own box[es]).
    But no warranty.
    At my Norton 360(i dont say, which build) - Firewall there dont need to be ports opened manual. (Teso/MMO -whise. Servers? i am not sure to 100%).
    Edited by Atreidus on December 7, 2018 5:59PM
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My game is finally working! Thank you so much to everyone who commented to try and help, it was very kind and helpful :smile: I missed the undaunted event, but at least my game is working at last :smiley:

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Gee, and I thought that rebooting the hardware or the operating system to resolve problems with an application program was abandoned after MS-DOS was no longer the Microsoft OS. Most users skipped (or missed) using Windows 2000, which was a modification of Windows NT that ran on servers. But Windows XP and its successors have been the mainstay since about year 2000.

So, I have no idea why it apparently works for you. But with my current usage of a computer running Windows 7 SP1, rebooting either the hardware or the operating system to resolve problems with Launcher makes no sense.

As to the router ports, after they are configured and the configuration is applied, it should remain indefinitely. If it doesn't then the player needs to replace the router.

You are right about configuring Windows Firewall to permit Launcher to receive unsolicited incoming packets. However, simply configuring the router ports for Port Forwading or Port Triggering is not enough.The player also needs to configure Windows Firewall to allow unsolicited incoming packets received at those ports through the firewall, else they will be "dropped". I forgot about that after I had to re-install Windows 7 SP1 on the computer, but it has since been done.

Ever done a Ctrl Alt Delete and bring up the task manager after a crash and see one or more instances of an app or process that us not svchost?

As for the admin thing, that works too, but I thought everyone ran their machines as an administrator, so you don't need to run an app as an admin.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"