The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "Experience The Elder Scrolls Online for Free this Week"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Experience The Elder Scrolls Online for Free this Week! The Free Play Event will begin on Thursday, December 6 and will run through Tuesday, December 11. Be sure to check out the article for all the details.
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on December 4, 2018 6:39PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • ceiron
    ceiron
    ✭✭✭✭
    No free crates!
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ceiron wrote: »
    No free crates!

Because it's Free Play, not ESO+ trial?
  • cynaes
    cynaes
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't want to hijack this thread, but I feel like communication from ZOS is really ... bad these days

- Undaunted event gone awry and group finder still wonky
    - -> getting reward boxes ranged from impossible to extremely difficult (and frustrating)
    - -> this isn't helped by the fact that the "port to certain dungeon"-exploit is suddenly rampant, so every other group you join wants to exploit, which leaves you with a) the option to exploit as well or b) endure a lengthy penalty for leaving (after having problems to join a group in the first place)

- Because of maintenance (to fix group finder) on saturday, I wasn't able to login (Steam problems) -> unable to get all login rewards (I do realize the last one is only 4k AP, but still)
    - After saturday there was no communication whatsoever on the problems with the undaunted event, but
    --> we get a new Crown Store Showcase
    --> we get an introduction to a new Crown Crate season

So everything in the business department seems to work fine.

And on top of that: A free play event to introduce more players, which will likely result in dungeon finder being even more unstable?

I do know that free play events are important for the future of the game, because they help getting new players onboard. And I'm happy about more/new players in the game. The more the merrier. But it feels like a shaft for current players (at the moment) and it might be a bit of a toxic environment for new players right now.

I also know that dungeon finder problems probably are in a different department (as is crown store, free play events, etc.), but it still feels like ZOS is ignoring the real problems and hoping to sit things out.
  • Mygalomorpea
    Mygalomorpea
    ✭✭✭
    ... Yet another server stress test? I would have thought that the free eso+ trial and the current undaunted event would show clearly that the servers can't cope with the current user count... And no insentive for the current players to log in either... Oh, but eso+ gets another free worthless miniature collectable like it is some sort of trading card game, so all is good...
    Edited by Mygalomorpea on December 5, 2018 8:40AM
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just make ESO F2P and get it over with.
  • Wolvenheim
    Wolvenheim
    Soul Shriven
    Mmm, at least I can get a copy on my PC now~
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear: If i already have a eso+ sub, i wont get to enjoy anything for free during that week right?
  • Pr0boszcz
    Pr0boszcz
    Soul Shriven
    How to actually start playing "for free" this week? My dad wanted to try the game so as soon as I saw the news we created him an account (yesterday) and today there's this subsite for the play for free: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/freeplay so we go here choose platform, then it asks to create an account, but we did that yesterday so we click the link at the top "Click here instead." and it shows error 500 "We're sorry, the page you're looking for cannot be found." - however if I try to open this link(https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39834) in a new tab it actually works and says "You do not need to create a new account to participate in The Elder Scrolls Online Free Trial on PC, you can simply log in with your existing account." and the word account is a link to the login page, so we login and then there's no option to download the game, just buy game or redeem code, while on the website it says "If you already own The Elder Scrolls Online for the PC, you can download the game client by logging into your account and clicking the Download Game link. " but such a button does not exist. I have also tried to login with the new account on my PC where I already have the client but it just gives a login error. So how to play "for free" this week?
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pr0boszcz wrote: »
    How to actually start playing "for free" this week? My dad wanted to try the game so as soon as I saw the news we created him an account (yesterday) and today there's this subsite for the play for free: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/freeplay so we go here choose platform, then it asks to create an account, but we did that yesterday so we click the link at the top "Click here instead." and it shows error 500 "We're sorry, the page you're looking for cannot be found." - however if I try to open this link(https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39834) in a new tab it actually works and says "You do not need to create a new account to participate in The Elder Scrolls Online Free Trial on PC, you can simply log in with your existing account." and the word account is a link to the login page, so we login and then there's no option to download the game, just buy game or redeem code, while on the website it says "If you already own The Elder Scrolls Online for the PC, you can download the game client by logging into your account and clicking the Download Game link. " but such a button does not exist. I have also tried to login with the new account on my PC where I already have the client but it just gives a login error. So how to play "for free" this week?

Same trouble here... Doesn't help increase interest in the game when the free trial doesn't work. Please look into this, @ZOS_GinaBruno or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom Thanks.

edit: @Pr0boszcz Evidently the issue is the account was created through the normal mechanism instead of their special mechanism that activates a special trial version code for the game... and can't use the same email address over again, so have to get another email/id set up.
    Edited by Tevalaur on December 7, 2018 12:02AM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • HakaiDo
    HakaiDo
    ✭✭
    Free Trial doesn't work.

I tried to open a new account with this link https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/de/freeplay, activated the account from the email received and I am getting a login error. "Login failed. Your username or password may be incorrect or inactive at this time."

Like I said, account is activated and I can login through the website so password is correct.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

Edit: PC EU.
    Edited by HakaiDo on December 9, 2018 8:37PM
    PC EU - @HakaiDo

Elenwen Stormwatch - Magicka Sorcerer
    Lilith Varen - Magicka Nightblade
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @HakaiDo That is the same error/issue that I saw albeit from a different account creation method. My suggestion would be to try https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/freeplay to create another account, activate it, and use it -- hopefully in time to enjoy some of the free-to-play period as it's almost over...

Good luck from another player!
    Edited by Tevalaur on December 9, 2018 9:11PM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • HakaiDo
    HakaiDo
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip @Tevalaur but I tried the link you gave me yesterday. I tried one with en-us and de in the URL, neither worked. I definitely activated the account, as I have received another mail, stating that the activation was a success.
    PC EU - @HakaiDo

Elenwen Stormwatch - Magicka Sorcerer
    Lilith Varen - Magicka Nightblade
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HakaiDo wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip @Tevalaur but I tried the link you gave me yesterday. I tried one with en-us and de in the URL, neither worked. I definitely activated the account, as I have received another mail, stating that the activation was a success.

I wonder if the en-us link still took you to a different creation page for the platform or put you back to de because it could tell that's where you are from... Yes, the accounts definitely activate. The problem is that any other method (in my experience) activates it as an account with no rights to play the game instead of the free-to-play trial version showing on the account page.

Too bad @ZOS_GinaBruno or customer support can't find a way to get a generic code out for the free-to-play event so it could be added to any account through any creation method/timeline rather than their finicky method as it stands.
    Edited by Tevalaur on December 10, 2018 8:41PM
  • Medieval3D
    Medieval3D
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I must protest... there is no other way I could try to make notice you (company) about a big problem respect Crowns...(this is a post I made Im pretty sure will get unnoticed that is way Im posting it here)

How do you let Steam sell Crowns??!!... so irresponsibly... I have lost 21000 Crowns buying at Steam Bookmark

Hi, first TES games are mostly only games I play, for real, love them, I like ESO I was waiting for offer sales at this end season of the year just for get new content for ESO, I have the base game; Imperial version (dlc) and Orsinium, I acquired the Imperial dlc from Steam but the base game from official site. I really want to buy ESO content but is impossible without a credit card, even payapal ask for credit card... that is way I looked for Steam... at my country (I'm from Chile southamerica) you can buy with a linked bank account Steam wallet and games... so I said why not to get Crowns at Steam... (by the way I linked my ESO account to Steam, supposedly but now I know isnt true...)

Just bought the 21000 Crowns pack... waiting for get a redeem code, key code or something..., I lost my money 86.5158 usd dollars to trash, now I must ask for a ticket to Steam to be refunded at least could get the possibility to get back my Steam wallet credits...

Dont you see a big problem here??, I have read ton of post happened the same, saddly I should have don that first before purchase the fail 21000 Crowns... the last time I got something about ESO on Steam worked so why now would not work...

First problem is about the accessibility, why is not allowed key redeem codes for Crowns or for ESO content, is really sad...

The company is being very irresponsible with associated distributor of ESO games as Steam, I would prefer be a huge notice or something before one get Crowns for Steam, or a huge notice on ESO official site about "IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET CONTENT WITHOUT A CREDIT CARD FOR GET IT (wait until next update or something to be more a new ways to acquire ESO content)"....

I should get refund in osme way for lost my time and money...

The company Zenimax Online and Bethesda I guess have indireclty the fault ton of people is lossing money because allows quite "official" third party distributors as Steam sell whatever about ESO without any warning or responsability...

I'm pretty sure I might get a response here on the forum about: "it is said in some lost corner of the official site having ESO bought at official site and Steam are not compatible", such kind of comments worth nothing, I mean how reading such comment will get my money back?...

(edited)

By the way I solved the problem but I had to purchase the game again through Steam, anyway wasnt that bad due the game was in offer :), but still I say there is irresponsibly, I hope things could be more clear in future and the game keeps improving
    Edited by Medieval3D on December 26, 2018 1:58AM
    Medieval