Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Problem

• Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    Just a sidenote to the FPS issues for MAC based on my experiences and what I read here.

I'm using a 13'' MacBookPro, touchbar version. It does not have dedicated graphic card just the inboard intel chip. My fps with the old opengl version of ESO was at 18-23 fps, with the new molten version stayed at 18-23 fps, so for my 13'' macbookpro nothing has changed in terms of fps, neither better or worse, it's pretty much the same as before.

Reading here that macs with graphics cards lost fps and now around the fps I'm experiencing without the graphics card suggests that the problem lays somewhere at the utilisation of the graphics card in the new molten code, and you're basically back to the base level quality you would've get without one.

Edit: note I'm talking purely of fps here, as of bugs stutters glitches, I'm too getting plenty of those with the new molten version which wasn't there in the old.

I think you may be onto something here. The new iMac Pro's have AMD Vega graphics cards. At times my fps is slightly better than it was before. However the graphic glitches will obviously drop the fps, so it's no where near stable obviously. At the moment it is slightly playable. But I'm only doing simple story quests and writs. I don't plan on trying to dungeons/pledges or pvp (battlegrounds or cyrodiil) for the time being. To much screen freezing.
  • Thrawn75
    Thrawn75
    ✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    Just a sidenote to the FPS issues for MAC based on my experiences and what I read here.
    the problem lays somewhere at the utilisation of the graphics card in the new molten code, and you're basically back to the base level quality you would've get without one.

Don't know but I have a beefy iMac, purchased a few months ago - among the top of the line:

iMac 27" Retina 5K
    Intel Core i7 4,2 Ghz
    32 GB RAM DDE4 2400Mhz
    SSD 512 GB
    Radeon Pro 580 8GB

It's absolutely insane that this machine gets so bad FPS experience. Not reasonable, nothing at all.

The problem aggravates due to FPS fluctuation - for example, if I'm on a beach, it can run smooth in Ultra setting and it's a pleasure to play then - but as soon as I turn around and face some NPCs, FPS is a joke, no fun any more, magic or any sort of story immersion breaks. Then I reduce quality to avoid that but when going back to the beach it's no great looking anymore - no more magic ;)

• Thrawn75
    Thrawn75
    ✭✭
    Some areas seem to run better - perhaps it has to do with texture quality or budget?
    Not sure.

Full-screen still is broken though - I'd love to see the top bar gone again.

• Thrawn75
    Thrawn75
    ✭✭
    Reducing shadow quality seems to affect a lot.
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thrawn75 wrote: »
    Some areas seem to run better - perhaps it has to do with texture quality or budget?
    Not sure.
    Full-screen still is broken though - I'd love to see the top bar gone again.

Settings, Video, Fullscreen works, it's just not bound to any keys. I make sure to do it before selecting a character, otherwise UI addons may not lay out correctly.
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please please please if you just do ONE THING is the next patch, stop the client from crashing out every time the screensaver comes on, and every time I log off. It’s INFURIATING!!

Aaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

That’s better.
  • Thrawn75
    Thrawn75
    ✭✭
    kamimark wrote: »
    Settings, Video, Fullscreen works, it's just not bound to any keys. I make sure to do it before selecting a character, otherwise UI addons may not lay out correctly.

Doesn't matter - as long as it's in non-windowed fullscreen mode, glitching occurs. I have to switch back to fullscreen window mode.

• Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    kamimark wrote: »

Doesn't matter - as long as it's in non-windowed fullscreen mode, glitching occurs. I have to switch back to fullscreen window mode.

I don't mind the fullscreen mode graphical glitching enough to do windowed fullscreen. It's the V-sync glitching that makes my head hurt.
  • ethernut60
    ethernut60
    ✭✭
    Oh, and 32 bit apps have also been deprecated on macOS Mojave. So, you need to rush out a 64 bit Launcher app.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Reducing shadow quality seems to affect a lot.

Did it? I tried this and it didn't seem to do anything. I'll log in and try again now.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    This may sound like a dumb question. But I'm going to go ahead and ask it anyways. Would it make any difference at all if I tried to submit a ticket detailing my problems obviously. But also, including that I have cancelled my + sub? It seems like it would be an effort in futility at this point.
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like Alex at ZOS has acknowledged most of the issues that we all have already stated multiple times in this thread.

So the main issue now is when will we actually see this fix as promised below:
    Hello everyone, we have some updates on the Mac client issues:

The flickering bug has been fixed internally and is currently in testing. It's mostly a timing issue on our side with the new API, which is why changing your video settings can impact whether or not you experience it.

We have some crash fixes as well, including the crash you can encounter when exiting the game.

We also have additional performance improvements in testing, which should help those of you running at higher graphics settings.

All of the above will be pushed in a future incremental after they've been vetted.

We would also like to clear up some of the concerns in your comments here about future Mac support for ESO. We intend to continue supporting ESO on the Mac, and this is why we made the switch to Metal via MoltenVK. This way we could ensure that, whenever the time comes that OpenGL is phased out on the Mac completely, we're ahead of it and you can continue to play the game. We recognize the missteps in this initial implementation, but we're committed to working on improving the Mac experience until the issues are resolved. To that end, we're also in discussions with support from Apple on how we can better leverage their API to improve the game. In the meantime, thank you everyone for your patience while we've been working through these new issues.

*Also, if you are new to this thread, iIt would be helpful if you post your system specs when posting new issues.*
    Edited by keto3000 on November 26, 2018 5:52AM
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • yacoob
    yacoob
    ✭✭
    keto3000 wrote: »
    So the main issue now is when will we actually see this fix as promised below:

Given it was Thanksgiving last week, I wouldn't expect those changes today :|
  • ethernut60
    ethernut60
    ✭✭
    Wodinn wrote: »
    This may sound like a dumb question. But I'm going to go ahead and ask it anyways. Would it make any difference at all if I tried to submit a ticket detailing my problems obviously. But also, including that I have cancelled my + sub? It seems like it would be an effort in futility at this point.

No, because they have the WORST tech support. Beyond trhe initial auto response it will be either:
    1. ignored
    2. summarily closed
    3. if someone does respond you'll be put in an endless loop of answers that are not even related to your issue.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Ok
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    ethernut60 wrote: »
    Wodinn wrote: »

No, because they have the WORST tech support. Beyond trhe initial auto response it will be either:
    1. ignored
    2. summarily closed
    3. if someone does respond you'll be put in an endless loop of answers that are not even related to your issue.

I figured as much
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday, I finally broke down and adjusted my Mojave and Bootcamp partitions so I could install ESO under Windows, something I never thought I would have to do to play the game.

The Windows client is getting about 60 fps with all settings as high as they can go at 2560x1440, so my iMac is definitely fast enough—both CPU and GPU—to run the game well. And, of course, no half-second pauses every several seconds and no fluttering around of polygons to the point where I feel like I am about to have an epileptic seizure, even though I don’t have epilepsy.

Since the antialiasing in this game is as bad as FFXIV’s, which is basically awful and just makes the game look worse, I tried supersampling by setting the game engine to render at 4096x2304 (or thereabouts) to see how it would look on the iMac’s Retina display. Even at that resolution, on the Windows client without antialiasing, I am getting about 30 fps at the highest graphics settings and the game looks amazing... no more fluttery leaf edges on trees as you move around... or at least they are greatly minimized.

It’s been a week since the last update on the Mac client. Are we any closer to a solution? Yes, it’s pampered, first-world gaming problems, but I’d rather not have to swap over to Bootcamp every time I want to fire up ESO.
    Edited by nathan_bri on November 27, 2018 2:04PM
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh I didn't think of partitioning... hmm will consider it..

And yes when I set my PS4 Pro to 4k mode on a supersampled 1080p output there is no antialiasing...

I think more PS4 Pro owners should be aware of this...

or should I say... there is antialiasing... as in there are no jaggedy edges
    Edited by moonio on November 27, 2018 4:26PM
  • elgirth
    elgirth
    Yo developers, zos, anyone and everyone that is poorly handling this problem, can we get a date or more information on when this is going to actually be resolved or if it even will be?? It's been over a month and as "hard" as you might be trying to fix this problem that you caused, it is still terrible even with the increase from 10-20 fps and "updates"... What is actually going on? Why do so many of us have to suffer because of some insanely poor mistake on your part? On behalf of admiring, dedicated and monetarily supportive fans, give us some progress reports, give us some answers, give us a refund or give us windows that we can actually enjoy the game on. Please..
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    elgirth wrote: »
    Yo developers, zos, anyone and everyone that is poorly handling this problem, can we get a date or more information on when this is going to actually be resolved or if it even will be?? It's been over a month and as "hard" as you might be trying to fix this problem that you caused, it is still terrible even with the increase from 10-20 fps and "updates"... What is actually going on? Why do so many of us have to suffer because of some insanely poor mistake on your part? On behalf of admiring, dedicated and monetarily supportive fans, give us some progress reports, give us some answers, give us a refund or give us windows that we can actually enjoy the game on. Please..

^^ This !

As I have said countless times, including in this thread, the incredibly erratic updates that fail to deliver any specific information whatsoever is just an appalling way to treat customers.

"We know and we're working on it"..........long silence..................nothing.

FFS ZoS, get your collective fingers out - if you don't yet have a fix, at least COMMUNICATE WITH US! I really am on the verge of closing all of my accounts and just moving on - there are games out there whose publishers learned the lessons of EA and know how to deal with the people who ultimately pay their salaries.
  • yacoob
    yacoob
    ✭✭
    Last update was on 21st, in this thread, and it sounded promising. There hasn't been a patch since that announcement, so I'm giving them the benefit of doubt and will wait till Monday 3rd of Dec before complaining further.
  • ethernut60
    ethernut60
    ✭✭
    Sub expired today and will not be renewed indefinitely, if ever. Yes, I have it installed on a Windows 10 partition on my MacBook, but their whole mishandling of this debacle has left me very bitter towards ZOS. I'll be spending my time in Destiny 2 for awhile.
  • moonio
    moonio
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped subbing on PS4 a while ago, out of solidarity lol.. I don't even play on Mac, but I wanted to!!
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    Got a refund for my 6 month sub, cancelled and stopped logging in a few days ago. The way they treated this is horrible so not sure if I will ever come back.
    Edited by Montie on November 29, 2018 1:58PM
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    You’d think ZoS would stick a crowbar in their wallet and spend some money on infrastructure and quality control. It’s like they are amateurs with the Mac client and now the server fiasco, where three friends and I are stuck for 30 minutes accepting queue after queue, never to get in. I finally said, “Screw it.” and logged because I have better things to do with my time than play a broken game.
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Sub expired today and will not be renewed indefinitely, if ever. Yes, I have it installed on a Windows 10 partition on my MacBook, but their whole mishandling of this debacle has left me very bitter towards ZOS. I'll be spending my time in Destiny 2 for awhile.

Help me understand this. You're upset with a game developers poor handling of its Mac client and it has made you feel the need to go play more of a game that has zero Mac support?
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭

Help me understand this. You're upset with a game developers poor handling of its Mac client and it has made you feel the need to go play more of a game that has zero Mac support?

They pretty much explained it already. "...but their whole mishandling of this debacle has left me very bitter towards ZOS."

Honestly, I feel the same, way. I would rather go spend my time on just about any other game than a ZOS game right now.
  • Puodas
    Puodas
    ✭✭
    Anything new for mac client in todays patch? Has anyone tested yet?
  • ethernut60
    ethernut60
    ✭✭
    Puodas wrote: »
    Anything new for mac client in todays patch? Has anyone tested yet?

It flickers worse now.
    Edited by ethernut60 on December 1, 2018 11:31PM
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There was nothing for Mac in this patch, and no further patch until a week on Monday. The patch was solely to attempt (again) to patch the group finder.