The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

In combat... can't mount, can't change spells, can't change quickslots

shipv
shipv
✭✭
Is this a new feature or is it broken? Since the last major update there are new changes to the "combat status" and what you can and can not do while in "combat status". You don't even have to be the person in combat, someone in your group might be in combat.. so you are in combat.

So now you can't change siege weapons if you (for example) loose your last ballista, or need to slot oils, if the battle is underway. Many situations you can't mount, for miles, because you were in combat like 5 minutes prior.

I think the cyrodiil community is fairly patient with the niggardly development cycles devoted to them. This is extremely annoying and frustrating though and it's having a very detrimental affect on game play, at time affecting the outcome of personal and group battles.

I've been pretty happy with cyrodiil despite the bugs, up until now. So my question is, is this the new normal or do we have to be patient some more until this gets fixed?
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, it’s terrible. There are several threads about this. Feel free to add there, too.
  • Aedrion
    Aedrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change is based on the assumption that the game is properly able to determine when combat ends. As many other games in the genre, ESO is trying to make the choice of skills and items in quickslots you take into combat with you more important by not permitting you to swap them once engaged.

On paper, this change creates incentive for clever and balanced set-ups before entering a fight, be it PvE or PvP.

In practice, however, it's entirely different. Due to how the game determines the in-combat state, engaging guild groups means you're in combat until you, or all of them, die. This means that once a siege battle begins, you cannot swap skills, potions or siege equipment.

As a result, this change has been a disaster for PvP. When prior, I could swap from an open field set-up into a keep set-up with the correct equipment, skills and potions, now I cannot due to perma-combat. You also can't morph or learn skills, as an aside.

So it's simple. Either the game's way of determining combat is changed, or this change is rolled back. There is no alternative.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a new feature Zos provided us with Murkmire. Many of us have commuted in the forums but Zos has chosen to remain mum on the subject. They have refused to reply to any of the threads and/or pin one to the Dev Tracker section that would indicate they are looking into it.
  • shipv
    shipv
    ✭✭
    If they insist on keeping this they should add more slots to quickslots then. There is not enough to slot repairs, potions, and siege. To mitigate this you have to leave your group, go hide to TRY to get out of combat, make changes, then try to get back in your group. This is bad, very bad.

The not being able to mount because of combat is just irritating. It serves no purpose. If there's an exploit, fix the exploit.. don't break the game.

One of these broken changes alone are very annoying... all of them together make me want to enter cyrodiil less and less and I've been a daily visitor for the past 10 months or so out of the year I've been playing. Sick of falling behind and getting sniped because I can't mount and loosing sieges because I can't slot weapons.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shipv wrote: »

I've been pretty happy with cyrodiil despite the bugs, up until now. So my question is, is this the new normal or do we have to be patient some more until this gets fixed?

I tend to think they will fix it sooner or later. I think it is not as easy as many think.

For me it is often a spell i casted while in combat and that keeps ticking. After recasting it is ending properly. A purge helps also in some cases.

Edited by mague on November 27, 2018 12:06PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acknowledgement should be happening. Ive come to expect lack of communication though.
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just if It helps... It happens to me more often while using pirate skeleton
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Is this a new feature or is it broken? Since the last major update there are new changes to the "combat status" and what you can and can not do while in "combat status". You don't even have to be the person in combat, someone in your group might be in combat.. so you are in combat.

So now you can't change siege weapons if you (for example) loose your last ballista, or need to slot oils, if the battle is underway. Many situations you can't mount, for miles, because you were in combat like 5 minutes prior.

I think the cyrodiil community is fairly patient with the niggardly development cycles devoted to them. This is extremely annoying and frustrating though and it's having a very detrimental affect on game play, at time affecting the outcome of personal and group battles.

Definitely not a new feature or intended. We're aware that it's happening and are looking into how we can get this fixed.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not a new feature or intended. We're aware that it's happening and are looking into how we can get this fixed.

With all due respect, the Devs have never been able to fix the “stuck in combat bug“, and I have no confidence that they’ll suddenly figure it out. There’s no question that it’s worse now than it was before but it has never not been a problem.

Just give be us back the ability to change skills and quickslots regardless of combat status, so long as we’re not actively taking or dealing damage.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Reverb wrote: »

With all due respect, the Devs have never been able to fix the “stuck in combat bug“, and I have no confidence that they’ll suddenly figure it out. There’s no question that it’s worse now than it was before but it has never not been a problem.

Just give be us back the ability to change skills and quickslots regardless of combat status, so long as we’re not actively taking or dealing damage.

We have a pretty good idea what's causing it, but the complication is figuring out the best way to actually fix it.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ever since Summerset, my biggest complain about Quickslots is that, well, they often simply won`t work. You often have to press it twice, sometimes even three times for it to work. It`s not just popping a pot in combat that fails to work unless you franctically spam it, even setting down a siege while nobody is hitting you will often require you to press "Q" twice. It's as if the keypress simply gets lost.
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they insist on keeping this they should add more slots to quickslots then. There is not enough to slot repairs, potions, and siege.

Not directly related to this bug, but a pretty good point. In PvP, you need multiple quickslots just to have siege weapons available. A typical keep defense requires you to have balistas, catapults, oil, siege repair and wall repair as a bare minimum. You typically want a second ballista slot for coldfire. Add at least one defensive pot (tri-pot or health pot), and another utility pot (detect invis for those that try to remain inside the keep after it has been succesfully defended)... Ultimately, PvP requires far more quickslots than PvE. Something should be done to take that into consideration IMHO.

Adding more quickslots would be tricky, since it relies on being able to quickly select through a mouse/controler move. Perhaps a key modifier for a second series of quickslots, which could be devoted to sieges?

Otherwise, we need to be able to quickly and reliably change quickslots content, something not easy to do while in combat as the game has trouble determining when combat has ended.
    Edited by RMerlin on November 29, 2018 3:27PM
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If nothing else quickslots shouldn't be tied to combat at all. The ability bar is locked down to prevent people from rotating a greater variety of skills in a fight, makes sense. So quickslots, where the most powerful aspect is your potion cooldown.. has just that a cooldown... so why is it limited to out of combat switching? Likely inextricably tied to the ability bar somehow :\
    Joined September 2013
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a pretty good idea what's causing it, but the complication is figuring out the best way to actually fix it.

You really should just allow for changing skills and gear during combat, assuming you haven't TAKEN or DEALT damage in the last 5 seconds or so. You may know what causes the "Lingering" combat effect, but without a real way to fix it, it remains a huge issue that ends up wasting large amounts of time in PvP.

Last patch we were able to switch skills in combat (due to a bug that was fixed) and I didn't see a single person complain about it. It allowed rapids to be used for transport around cyrodiil without fear of getting stuck in a fight, and allowed skilled players to tactically switch skills in combat to adapt to the fight - something that is popular in other PVP games such as dark souls. I know ZoS is all about catering to the general population in terms of the skill floor & ceiling in pvp - but please just give us this.
    Edited by React on November 29, 2018 3:29PM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I appreciate the bug is finally acknowledged, your post points to a general trend. Too many bugs stay in the game because apparently they can’t be fixed.

Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RMerlin wrote: »
    If they insist on keeping this they should add more slots to quickslots then. There is not enough to slot repairs, potions, and siege.

Not directly related to this bug, but a pretty good point. In PvP, you need multiple quickslots just to have siege weapons available. A typical keep defense requires you to have balistas, catapults, oil, siege repair and wall repair as a bare minimum. You typically want a second ballista slot for coldfire. Add at least one defensive pot (tri-pot or health pot), and another utility pot (detect invis for those that try to remain inside the keep after it has been succesfully defended)... Ultimately, PvP requires far more quickslots than PvE. Something should be done to take that into consideration IMHO.

Adding more quickslots would be tricky, since it relies on being able to quickly select through a mouse/controler move. Perhaps a key modifier for a second series of quickslots, which could be devoted to sieges?

Otherwise, we need to be able to quickly and reliably change quickslots content, something not easy to do while in combat as the game has trouble determining when combat has ended.

The key modifier will never happen because it cannot be implemented on console. The only option would be to have the quickslot "wheel" be linked to front bar / back bar and have two quickslot wheels independent of each other that way.

To be honest, the whole quickslot thing on console is an oxymoron. There's nothing quick about it. On PC I assume you can toggle the wheel up and point to the slot you want with the mouse, click and go. On console you have to hold down on the D-pad to bring up the quickslot wheel, navigate with the thumbstick that may, or may not, get you to the slot you want, hold it in exactly the right spot while you activate it, hoping you don't move a smidge and highlight an incorrect slot a split second before you activate it because if so, you'll be doing the process all over again.

Oh yeah, and if you don't hold down on the D-pad long enough you'll just trigger the currently selected quickslotted item which is typically either one of two things: An expensive pot that you just waste, or some Argonian dance emote you forgot you had slotted causing you dance your way to your doom.

Clarification.
    Edited by Feric51 on November 29, 2018 4:21PM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You know. My wardens have been plagued by this stuck in combat thing for some time now. But you could work with them.

ZOS makes some changes so now I can’t mount, go through doors, change quickslot or skills.

Before it was broken, but kind of worked. Now it’s a mess. Just put it back to how it was.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Feric51

No, on PC you just install Greymind’s Quick Slot Bar and never bother with the wheel again.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    @Feric51

No, on PC you just install Greymind’s Quick Slot Bar and never bother with the wheel again.

Sure, go ahead and rub it in.

#jealous
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Put a distance trigger in the combat mechanic........ a certain distance away from any combat auto takes you out of combat.
  • baronzilch
    baronzilch
    ✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    You really should just allow for changing skills and gear during combat, assuming you haven't TAKEN or DEALT damage in the last 5 seconds or so. You may know what causes the "Lingering" combat effect, but without a real way to fix it, it remains a huge issue that ends up wasting large amounts of time in PvP.

Last patch we were able to switch skills in combat (due to a bug that was fixed) and I didn't see a single person complain about it. It allowed rapids to be used for transport around cyrodiil without fear of getting stuck in a fight, and allowed skilled players to tactically switch skills in combat to adapt to the fight - something that is popular in other PVP games such as dark souls. I know ZoS is all about catering to the general population in terms of the skill floor & ceiling in pvp - but please just give us this.

If there is a timer of any kind it's the same as now - I don't see how that would change the nature of the bug.

Absolutely no to the second. Not a lot of people knew about that bug, but, if it becomes a feature there will be an add-on that will allow for ungodly rotations in a single fight made quite quickly after that. There is a slot limit for a reason.

And I'll add this bug sucks a ton. Probably one of the most frustrating parts of PvP right now.

@ZOS_GinaBruno: Why not make Keep Recall Stones castable in combat? They are interrupted by getting hit, right? So, not actually usable in 'live' combat... if your not getting hit within the 10 second (?) cast time, why not let people port when stuck in combat 'mode'. That would at least alleviate the porting/riding dilemma. Not being able to get to your next objective is the frustrating part. Also make the port clear all combat queue stuff, so on landing they are free of combat 'mode'.
    Edited by baronzilch on November 29, 2018 8:58PM
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy. 7 minutes of... waiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhwOAvrEPo

It looks like if one guy you fight doesn't die and leave away, you're stuck in combat until he dies. I say this because sometimes you just leave combat for a few seconds then get in combat again.
    Edited by Sarousse on November 29, 2018 9:29PM
  • Stapes
    Stapes
    ✭✭
    Surely sheathing your weapons is a viable option to remove you from combat? Can this not be made to over ride any combat action providing you have no negative affects on you? Also keeping it so you automatically draw your weapon when attacked. That way you can't just ride off into the sunset when being attacked.

I really just want this to enhance my immersion to be honest. Seeing everyone sheath their weapons after combat is epic B)
    Nocturnal
    Australian ESO member since Beta
    Aldmeri Dominion
    890+ CP
    Jade Skyblade 50* Magicka Templar
    Jedrzej 50* Magicka Dragonknight
    Stâpês 50* Stamina Nightblade
    Skyblàde 50* Magicka Nightblade
    Akâiden 23* Stamina Templar
    Stapés 38* Stamina Warden
    Siluca 50* Magicka Sorcerer
  • shipv
    shipv
    ✭✭

thank you, this is encouraging. I'm confident if it's being worked on it will be fixed. Happy to be patient in the meantime.

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps if you could list the cause and potential complications so that we may offer some insight?
    Edited by Joy_Division on November 30, 2018 4:40PM
  • Aerrimus
    Aerrimus
    ✭✭
    Why not allow mounting while in combat? This would allow for some more creative armor sets and different strategies. You could even allow some skills to be used while mounted. Of course, you'd probably have to lower defenses to compensate for the speed increase but it could be a fun change.

Pros:
    Creative armor sets
    Creative game play
    No more horse simulator

Cons:
    Some builds based on escaping would have problems outrunning others

• valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read "We know what it is but no idea how to fix it without breaking 10 other things" This is the ZO$ model, don't fix problems, keep throwing out DLC and Crown Store stuff and wait for everything to go away.

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fix this "stuck in combat" %$#@. So tired of it. Just do it already. Whatever you do is prob better than what it is like now.
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you are at ist, try fixing the 4975 days, 20 hours 14 minutes and 33 seconds of burning or whatever dot is miscalculated during combat.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reviving this. Can we at the very least be allowed to change our Utility slots(siege, potions, etc)? Combat bug sucks but Im sure while waiting for a fix you can open this small change that doesnt have any bearing on combat balance just pure annoyance when you can't slot siege.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by Jakx on December 20, 2018 6:46PM
    Joined September 2013