Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Chatting with other players.

BexandWill
Just a quick question for everyone here. I've been playing the game
for since launch and it doesn't seem like anyone wants to talk. Seems
every player who I walk up to or try to say something to I get ignored.
Is anyone else having this problem?

I know it's not with the game. Have I just got really unlucky and everyone
I'm talking to just not seen what I've said. Since I've started I've had one
person respond to something I've said in zone chat where as local chat
so far has had no function. I've not heard any players in a group together
chatting in text chat either. Maybe I'm using it wrong or something. I have
tried fiddling with the settings but to no avail.

So are you finding it hard to meet & chat to players outside of the forums?

I've put a couple requests in to join verious guilds so that may later remedy
the issue but so far I've felt live I've been playing a single player game & that's
strange for something as big as an MMO. Maybe because I'm in europe? What are your thoughts? Does the game seem quiet?
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a couple of good but brief conversations in zone chat. So I know it does happen.
  • Reb
    Reb
    ✭✭✭
    I think a bit part of the problem is zone chat itself really, as usual its a bit toxic and a lot of people make a new tab to get away from it, your only option is to persevere with /say , joining a guild will help to :) .
    optional chat bubbles for the say/emote channel would be a big help, so hopefully they will add them eventually.
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    i think the main problem you are facing is that many people prefer voice chat and use 3rd party programs such as TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Mumble or even Skype, as its far easier and quicker to say things than type, especially in a raid or event, saying that tho i've had a good couple of chats in /zone
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • BexandWill
    Optional chat bubbles would be nice. As things said to you are always in the bottom right and sort of hidden away.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my main guild and we do talk within it , but yeah , i hardly ever talk to anyone outside it , maybe once a day tops. Even in groups or my other 4 guilds which i mostly just ignore just for the AH.

There is no need to talk with randoms and thus i just dont.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • BexandWill
    I would love to skype other players as well however I am the only one of my friends who is intrested in playing ESO so I don't have anyone to chat to. So I using in game chat trying to find more players to hang around with and quest with but I'm always ignored. Whether I'm thanking someone for helping me win a fight, trying to arrange a trade or anything at all. I never get any replies. Infact this thread has more replies in it then I have gotten ingame.
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    lol you've just not found the right players yet
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BexandWill wrote: »
    I would love to skype other players as well however I am the only one of my friends who is intrested in playing ESO so I don't have anyone to chat to. So I using in game chat trying to find more players to hang around with and quest with but I'm always ignored. Whether I'm thanking someone for helping me win a fight, trying to arrange a trade or anything at all. I never get any replies. Infact this thread has more replies in it then I have gotten ingame.

Because we all came to the forums to talk about the game , the people you saw ingame were interested in playing not talking , ofc , the ones that did not talk back.

When you speak in something big like the zone chat , there will always be someone bound to answer , but they are a fraction of the whole.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • BexandWill
    Apparently so. I'll keep at it, I was just wondering if anyone else thought that ingame chat seems empty %90 of the time.
  • BexandWill
    Because we all came to the forums to talk about the game , the people you saw ingame were interested in playing not talking , ofc , the ones that did not talk back.

Problem being that there are going to be a lot of quests and things to do in this game that two players or more are recommended. Ah well hopefully I'll get a a reply to my clan applacations.

• anarchopunkdrumsub17_ESO
    I think your problem is with society (as is mine) and not with the game chat. Generally safe to assume that people suck and are really narrow-minded. Also note I do not condone assumptions.
  • BexandWill
    Heh, you may have a point there. I'm more a social person so I figured even if my friends aren't intrested in getting into Elder scrolls it's an MMORPG so there are bound to be people to talk to. So far it's been a quiet few days.
    Edited by BexandWill on April 7, 2014 7:49AM
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It stinks, but the human dynamic dictates: The fewer people you put together, the more inclined they are to form a social bond. The more people you put together, the more inclined they are to form a mob mentality.

The mob mentality in an MMO is to reach one's personal goals with as little interaction with others as possible. The most interaction you're likely to get is someone swearing at you for some inane reason, or trying to scam you.

As was said, a lot also use voice chat. Now, if you enjoy immersion, or even roleplay, you probably don't want to use voice chat. Hearing 35 year old drunken neckbeards yelling about DPS parses to 14 year olds with squeaky voices gets really old, really fast. And gods forbid you enter a voice chat as a woman -- queue the "*** or gtfo" commentary.

Keep an eye out for the good people. The ones who talk. The ones who are polite in zone chat (if you can stomach Zone chat), and the ones who are mature on the forum. Those are the people you want to spend time with.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 7, 2014 7:56AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Kelara
    Kelara
    Soul Shriven
    I've had a few decent conversations in zone chat & I would definitely answer someone who spoke to me in the same location. In fact, I helped someone with a boss when they asked me in /say. I think it's worse at the moment because everything is new and shiny.