The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Non horse mounts available in game (not crown store)

happyhughes2001
happyhughes2001
✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

Is there anyway in game to buy mounts other than horses (with in game currency).

My daughter recently started playing and as you can imagine is really impressed by the cool mounts in the game.

The crown store has not really been of any interest to me over the years, but I can see how it entices some players.

Thanks
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You definitely cannot buy any non-horse mounts in the game without crowns, I have plenty of free ones from free crown crates and from events outside the game. I don't think there are any non-horse mounts rewarded for any in-game activities.

While I don't care about cosmetics and have never spend a cent on them, my 2 year old sometimes walks in while I am playing and we look at the different pets I've acquired over the years and the pets other people use. Almost tempts me to consider buying pets in the future, but hell no.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on November 20, 2018 6:52PM
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there's the Indrik. There's an event around it currently.
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They shoud at least have Guars available in Morrowind stables. They are pretty common in the wild there in contrast to horses. Even the stablers have Guar in the stables but why do they not sell them?

And how do they taste? I think like chicken
    Edited by Knootewoot on November 20, 2018 7:15PM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • happyhughes2001
    happyhughes2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for replies.

I will check out the event and Morrowind stables.

I was just wondering if there was any quest specific rewards. Do you get one for completing the dark brotherhood quest line?
  • jamgrs
    jamgrs
    ✭✭
    Some time ago you could get a nix-ox, a white wolf and a Psijic horse as mounts. They were all part of different promotions, events and such. Best advice I can give you for now - check "News & Website Article Discussions" section of the forum and Bethesda's twitter. I'm sure they'll give away other mounts in the future.
    Edited by jamgrs on November 20, 2018 7:39PM
    Edited by jamgrs because of typos
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anyway in game to buy mounts other than horses (with in game currency).
    No, there is not.

There are -some- ways to get a mount without paying crowns, sort of... like getting lucky with daily reward crown crates or the current indrik thing... there has been a certain senche back in the days of loyalty rewards, and other promotional stuff like the nix-ox...

But generally... if you want a "nifty" mount, you gotta shell out crowns. Well, or find someone else who might agree to buy it for you as a gift I guess.
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    They shoud at least have Guars available in Morrowind stables.
    They should have, but they have not.
    They also should have camels in alik'r stables, and such... but again, looking towards further profits, they put all the "special" mounts into the crown store.
    Makes one wish the game had stayed subscription powered because then ALL those might have been in-game instead of the crown store, but alas... ship, sailed, sunk, long time.
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, you can always buy crowns with gold, from other player. Beware of scammers, though.
    XBox One - NA
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, there is not.

There are -some- ways to get a mount without paying crowns, sort of... like getting lucky with daily reward crown crates or the current indrik thing... there has been a certain senche back in the days of loyalty rewards, and other promotional stuff like the nix-ox...

But generally... if you want a "nifty" mount, you gotta shell out crowns. Well, or find someone else who might agree to buy it for you as a gift I guess.
    They also should have camels in alik'r stables, and such... but again, looking towards further profits, they put all the "special" mounts into the crown store.
    Makes one wish the game had stayed subscription powered because then ALL those might have been in-game instead of the crown store, but alas... ship, sailed, sunk, long time.

Good luck leveling all those mounts individually like we did back then!

Edit: I'm sure they would have implemented the changes though once they started adding fancy mounts.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on November 20, 2018 8:39PM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    No, there is not.

Edit: I'm sure they would have implemented the changes though once they started adding fancy mounts.

As someone with 15 characters I'd much prefer leveling account-wide mounts to the current riding skill per character.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    No, there is not.

As someone with 15 characters I'd much prefer leveling account-wide mounts to the current riding skill per character.

You misunderstood.
    Back in the day, the "mount levelling" was -individual- too! So instead of having one "riding" per character, you had one set of stats per mount per character, and all mounts were character specific, so if you had one character with a black horse, none of the other characters had access to that until they got one individually.
    Same for the training, if you bought a new, better horse... you started training it from scratch.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, there is not.

You misunderstood.
    Back in the day, the "mount levelling" was -individual- too! So instead of having one "riding" per character, you had one set of stats per mount per character, and all mounts were character specific, so if you had one character with a black horse, none of the other characters had access to that until they got one individually.
    Same for the training, if you bought a new, better horse... you started training it from scratch.

I have to admit my memory just ain't what it used to be (I'm nearly 70 after all :)) but I remember it as account wide mounts with account wide mount skills. Am I remembering a rosy idealized version?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, there is not.

You misunderstood.

I have to admit my memory just ain't what it used to be (I'm nearly 70 after all :)) but I remember it as account wide mounts with account wide mount skills. Am I remembering a rosy idealized version?

Yes.

Account wide mounts were introduced one update before the subscription became optional (I want to say update 6, but I may be remembering wrong), which is when we got the system we have now.

Before that it was like @TheShadowScout described - each character had to unlock and train each mount individually. Even the white horse which came with the Imperial Edition - you had to find a stable and pay 1g to unlock it and then it was only available to that character, others had to buy it seperately. Instead of training riding skills you fed the horse, so it only affected the one horse.

Each of the gold purchased horses had their own advantages - the brown one was cheaper but started with no skills and each of the others started with 10 points in something and could raise that skill to 70 instead of 60. (If I remember correctly the paint horse was carry capacity, the bay was speed and the black was stamina.) So buying a horse was a commitment - you picked the best one for you and trained it up and if you swapped you had to start over.

I'm pretty sure they scrapped that system and went to the one we have now partially because they were planning to introduce new mounts in the crown store and knew they wouldn't sell as well if players had to abandon all the training they'd done and start over each time they got a new one.

Pets were similar - they were inventory items and you could only use them on the character who was carrying them. If you wanted to swap them you had to go to the bank.

(And we had to walk 10 miles in the snow, up hill both ways, to do it!)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    No, there is not.

You misunderstood.

Yes.

Account wide mounts were introduced one update before the subscription became optional (I want to say update 6, but I may be remembering wrong), which is when we got the system we have now.

Before that it was like @TheShadowScout described - each character had to unlock and train each mount individually. Even the white horse which came with the Imperial Edition - you had to find a stable and pay 1g to unlock it and then it was only available to that character, others had to buy it seperately. Instead of training riding skills you fed the horse, so it only affected the one horse.

Each of the gold purchased horses had their own advantages - the brown one was cheaper but started with no skills and each of the others started with 10 points in something and could raise that skill to 70 instead of 60. (If I remember correctly the paint horse was carry capacity, the bay was speed and the black was stamina.) So buying a horse was a commitment - you picked the best one for you and trained it up and if you swapped you had to start over.

I'm pretty sure they scrapped that system and went to the one we have now partially because they were planning to introduce new mounts in the crown store and knew they wouldn't sell as well if players had to abandon all the training they'd done and start over each time they got a new one.

Pets were similar - they were inventory items and you could only use them on the character who was carrying them. If you wanted to swap them you had to go to the bank.

(And we had to walk 10 miles in the snow, up hill both ways, to do it!)

Ah yes... it's now coming back to me :)

Still... the way I misremembered it (account wide mount skills) would be best.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that would be it. Or maybe... remembered what people dreamed about when they were cursing about the choice to buy a horse -now- or save up for one of the good ones later... ;)

As has been said, they only changed the mounts to "character-specific rididng" with the coming of the crown store, to make it easier for people to "upgrade" their old horseys to nifty new mounts, again and again, so they can keep raking in profits from the next new mount there...
    ...on the bright side, the horses before only had 50 feedings in -total-; to be distributed among the stats as the player choose (with the special horses having an inneate +10 bonus to one stat), so things were often a bit iffy... after, we got 180 riding strainings, and could max -each- stat to 60 instead of having to choose if we wanted to ride the gatherers pack horse today or the fast cyrodil racehorse or the tough warhorse...
    And that will never happen.
    Since they -do- sell horse training lessons in the crown store...
    ...so making the whole thing account wide would destroy and future profits from that, AND vex those of little patience but heavy wallet who already did shell out for it.
    Anyone who suggests that at ZOS would likely get fired after the suits in charge had a litte laugh about it... :p;)

The best we can reasonably hope for might be a way to have riding training stack like enlightment for those who cannot log in daily, but play more on the weekends, but... once again, I doubt they will do that to make them despair and boy crown store riding lessions again...
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ...so making the whole thing account wide would destroy and future profits from that, AND vex those of little patience but heavy wallet who already did shell out for it.
    Anyone who suggests that at ZOS would likely get fired after the suits in charge had a litte laugh about it... :p;)

The best we can reasonably hope for might be a way to have riding training stack like enlightment for those who cannot log in daily, but play more on the weekends, but... once again, I doubt they will do that to make them despair and boy crown store riding lessions again...

Yup. It's a pet peeve of mine especially in MMOs that once upon a time were sub-only and then switch to a model that includes a cash shop selling "convenience" items among other things. Inconveniences that may have been improved to more reasonable levels as the game matures just never get addressed and there are even some extra inconveniences deliberately added.

I miss the sub-only MMO days - obvious inconveniences were usually addressed eventually.

Unfortunately that system no longer works for the majority of MMO gamers these days who seem to dabble in many MMOs at the same time - it could get very expensive in a hurry. It would certainly still work for a serial MMOgamists like me who only commits to one MMO at a time.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that would be it. Or maybe... remembered what people dreamed about when they were cursing about the choice to buy a horse -now- or save up for one of the good ones later... ;)

As has been said, they only changed the mounts to "character-specific rididng" with the coming of the crown store, to make it easier for people to "upgrade" their old horseys to nifty new mounts, again and again, so they can keep raking in profits from the next new mount there...
    ...on the bright side, the horses before only had 50 feedings in -total-; to be distributed among the stats as the player choose (with the special horses having an inneate +10 bonus to one stat), so things were often a bit iffy... after, we got 180 riding strainings, and could max -each- stat to 60 instead of having to choose if we wanted to ride the gatherers pack horse today or the fast cyrodil racehorse or the tough warhorse...

I trained 12 account horses/mounts from start to finish.
    I HATE getting riding lessons now in crown crates, because they wont let me trade them in for crown gems.....

XD
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.