The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Random drops may be immersive, but worthless- please fix.

Izariel
Izariel
✭✭✭
I love that this game is more immersive than many others in this genre. I love that you can run into a dungeon and just find random stuff in a tomb or in a secret laboratory. This is very good for gameplay. However, it absolutely sucks in how you have implemented it. This stuff is absolutely worthless. It feels amazing to find a sword laid out in a long forgotten tomb only to get back to town and see that it sells for 0 gold and in most cases yield no materials when taken apart.

This is so frustrating. I see things now and want to pick them up but end up just ignoring them because as they are now, they just take up bag space. This makes this entire endeavor worthless and leaves me with the conclusion you may as well be WoW with no meaningful environmental interaction.

Please- make these sellable at least. Give them more variety. If I make it deep into a dungeon crypt and find a sword hanging on a wall give it a small chance to be a legendary weapon. This would actually be exciting and make dungeon delving far more exciting.
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what you're saying is that there should be more Orc-related stuff in the game?
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.

I've also noticed lately that more worthless items are dropping. Why? Just don't drop anything at all! It's not like having ESO plus gives us infinite inventory space. Selling worthless items is a huge time suck for me, and I'd rather be running content then adding up hours of emptying my bag of worthless crap.
  • Izariel
    Izariel
    ✭✭✭
    I am one of those people that like to scan every inch of the ground to see if i can find something interesting. This was fun for me...until i figured out that pretty much anything picked up in this way was nothing more than a waste of space.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least stop giving me Voidsteel, Shadowhide, etc. drops after I've reached the top level. That stuff is totally useless. And I'm not asking to replace it with Rubedite, Rubedo Leather, etc. either. Just remove it from the game at that point. It only takes up inventory space.
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izariel wrote: »
    I am one of those people that like to scan every inch of the ground to see if i can find something interesting. This was fun for me...until i figured out that pretty much anything picked up in this way was nothing more than a waste of space.

How true! I search everything and coming up with worthless junk so frequently too often makes it a waste of time. Just take the junk out of the game.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do "random drops" and "immersive" have to do with each other?
    Please- make these sellable at least. Give them more variety. If I make it deep into a dungeon crypt and find a sword hanging on a wall give it a small chance to be a legendary weapon. This would actually be exciting and make dungeon delving far more exciting.

Scenery-loot (the stuff sitting in racks and on tables) used to be worth something, I believe, but they got rid of it's value (and crafting/dismantling value) because it's too easy to farm. (interior spaces, like buildings & boats below deck, respawn just by logging out & in. It's an easy way to farm containers for recipes, for instance. All the stuff in racks & on tables comes back, too.)
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do "random drops" and "immersive" have to do with each other?

Scenery-loot (the stuff sitting in racks and on tables) used to be worth something, I believe, but they got rid of it's value (and crafting/dismantling value) because it's too easy to farm. (interior spaces, like buildings & boats below deck, respawn just by logging out & in. It's an easy way to farm containers for recipes, for instance. All the stuff in racks & on tables comes back, too.)

Scenery Loot was never worth anything. At launch, you couldn't pick it up at all. People complained that it wasn't immersive, so ZOS made them into items you could pick up, but gave them 0 value so that people wouldn't use them as an easy way to make money. Stolen items have a worth (though you have to launder them for them to yield good deconstruction materials), but the "free" loot lying around everywhere is worth nothing.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is too funny. This crap wasn't in the game at the beginning and was only added because the Skyrim players complained so much that they couldn't run around and pick up worthless junk like in Skyrim.

Many of us fought against this change, but got over ruled. Nothing better than to fill up your inventory with worthless junk with 0 value that is worthless to even deconstruct.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thread title is a little misleading. Not clear at first that OP is talking about scenery loot.

I wish they would just get rid of the 0g garbage. Doesn't even provide meaningful inspiration. Even more so, get rid of all the garbage you can steal around writ dropoff areas. What is the point of that? Are they trolling us?

To be fair, I leveled a few characters in gear crafting by stealing scenery loot in Craglorn. But they nerfed the inspiration, and rightly so.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Scenery Loot was never worth anything. At launch, you couldn't pick it up at all.

Ah, good to know. Wonder where I picked up my wrong info. /ponder
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HJDrGrU.jpg
  • Izariel
    Izariel
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I was not sure what to call it. "Scenery loot" is important to this game. I hardly think it would be game breaking to allow someone to pick up some items and get maybe 40-50 gold a piece. If they want to sit there all day and farm it over and over be my guest but we both know that are better ways of making far more money.

Why is this even an issue? Are people so threatened by someone just wanting to pick up some loot and getting a SMALL amount of gold from it? That is just sad.

Please reverse this change and allow scenery loot to have value.
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HJDrGrU.jpg

A golden potato would be a great April Fools day random reward...just saying
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vuron wrote: »
    This is too funny. This crap wasn't in the game at the beginning and was only added because the Skyrim players complained so much that they couldn't run around and pick up worthless junk like in Skyrim.

Many of us fought against this change, but got over ruled. Nothing better than to fill up your inventory with worthless junk with 0 value that is worthless to even deconstruct.

Not just Skyrim - Oblivion and Morrowind were the same. (I never played Arena and only briefly played Daggerfall so I don't remember if they had random lootable items everywhere.)

I'm not sure if it was a bug but merchants in Morrowind would instantly forget how much they liked you as soon as you exited the conversation so I always made sure I picked up a stash of low value items to sell without haggling to make them like me before selling the valuable stuff.

The difference is that in previous TES games all those items were worth something, or almost all of them anyway. It might not be much - it might not even be enough to justify carrying it back to town because you could drop it and pick up lots of lighter, more valuable items instead - but at least it wasn't literally worthless. Of course the other difference was that they didn't respawn, so you couldn't keep farming the same house or cave or whatever over and over. Once you'd looted it you had to move on.

But I doubt it would break the economy in ESO if they gave those items a low value (say 1-10g each) and/or the chance to salvage into 1 ingot/plank/cloth. Maybe with a low chance that when you pick an item up it would turn out to be one of the ones that can drop from enemies and so worth more.

That would be much more immersive than all these items which are often displayed as if they're valuable and important, or at least useful, being utterly useless.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every item in the game that can be picked up should at least be worth 1 gold and 1 basic mat.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason that it is worth nothing is because there were several times in the past (for instance old orsinium) where you could pick up 100 swords that were worth 2-10gold each, sell them to the merchant, walk 50 meters away and they would respawn.

You could pull 200-300k per hour unlimited times, it was game breaking.

So in typical use a grenade to kill a fly fashion, they just murked the value of all these items.

The reason that you have random drops being useless or worthless is because you need to have garbage to make the decent drops feel better. If all you have is legitimate drops that can be sold or deconned or whatever, when you do pick up that blue furnishing plan or a purple page, it gives you a much bigger dose of happy juice than comparing "decent" things to "Great" things.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd just like to know why anyone would consider randomly generated worthlessness a source of entertainment. :/
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theyancey wrote: »
    Every item in the game that can be picked up should at least be worth 1 gold and 1 basic mat.

I believe all the 0 gold items can be deconned, which will give at least one crafting mat.. which is worth at least 10g.
  • PouletRico
    PouletRico
    ✭✭✭
    At least stop giving me Voidsteel, Shadowhide, etc. drops after I've reached the top level. That stuff is totally useless. And I'm not asking to replace it with Rubedite, Rubedo Leather, etc. either. Just remove it from the game at that point. It only takes up inventory space.

You won't receive them if you're max lvl in the crafting line, or if you have skill points in the crafting passive, I can't remember. I'm do not receive those mats on my characters (at least when I decoy stuff).
    @PouletRico - EU PC Megaserver
    PouletRico - TankDK - EP
    Experimental Kamikaze - StamDK - AD

I'm doing my best, but I'm not a native speaker