The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Magwarden gear

HallowedUndead
Just need suggestions for gear to use on my magwarden (pve primarily). Looking to make it not as basic as just siroria and MS

Best Answer

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Necropotance and mad tinkerer? I love that combo on my pet sorc, would work the same on a magden that uses the bear.
    Answer ✓
  • TiZzA93
    TiZzA93
    ✭✭✭
    My magden uses necro/war maiden and maw of the infernal lol i use it in pve and pvp very fun watching a player running from the daedroth and bear. I dont use my magden in vet trials or the last 3 vet dung packs dont think i pull much dps with build
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mothers sorrow and julianos. lol xD dosnt really matter which of the stat sticks u pick. the other option would be to go with sth funny like already mentioned mad tinkerer or maw (u gotta yell dracaris everytime it procs :D)
  • HallowedUndead
    eso_nya wrote: »
    mothers sorrow and julianos. lol xD dosnt really matter which of the stat sticks u pick. the other option would be to go with sth funny like already mentioned mad tinkerer or maw (u gotta yell dracaris everytime it procs :D)

Lol, thanks to you all. I was really thinking mad tinkerer but ui didn't know what other set and moster set to use.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necropotence + Master Architect

Both sets synergize with the class. Siroria and SS blow them away in terms of DPS, but if you want to be unique, this is the next best set combo for magden.

ZOS really should nerf Siroria and SS. They've completely killed magicka set diversity.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on November 19, 2018 2:06AM
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The argument for Necropotence isn't as strong as it is -- and especially as it used to be -- for sorcerers, because wardens don't have anything that scales on magicka alone. But it's a solid choice, since all you need to get the bonus is the netch.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The argument for Necropotence isn't as strong as it is -- and especially as it used to be -- for sorcerers, because wardens don't have anything that scales on magicka alone. But it's a solid choice, since all you need to get the bonus is the netch.

All magicka skills scale with max magicka. 1000 magica = ~95 spell damage.

Bear damage also directly scales with max magicka.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on November 19, 2018 3:45AM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

All magicka skills scale with max magicka. 1000 magica = ~95 spell damage.

Bear damage also directly scales with max magicka.

Bear is a ultimate, it scales with everything, max mag and spell damage, also max Stam and weapon damage, even if you use the magic damage one. All ultimates work like this, this unique functionality of ultimates is what makes the atro so good on a Stam sorc.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, first of all, you have Siroria + MS? What's wrong with that? I guess MS is only BiS for classes that have the 10% crit damage passive, e.g. NB + templar. Then you should consider Spell Strategist.

Necropotence is kind of dead. To get the best out of it, you would need to be a +10% magicka race (which you probably are), slot Inner Light and Northern Storm, and stack magicka in general. This will give you +25% magicka, however it is also possible to stack serious spell damage, and you get +25% from Major Sorcery + Minor Sorcery in a group. Necropotence gave you big shields. It won't anymore.

I assume you are primarily interested in single-target DPS, since you steamroll trash mobs anyway? Examine this:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/427111/stat-based-armor-set-rankings

Spell Strategist comes with a factor of 3.875, beating Necropotence, although it arguably depends on whether you are stacking magicka or spell damage as a whole. If you PvP or run in non-optimised PvE groups, then Spinner should also be strong.

If you want something fun and non-meta, you could go for an ice build, e.g. Winterborn, Iceheart and A.N. Other. Kristofer ESO has been running such a PvP build for a while. Might be interesting to watch, as I'm sure he's optimised it to get the most out of Winterborn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_rW25nedM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . Necropotence is kind of dead. To get the best out of it, you would need to be a +10% magicka race (which you probably are), slot Inner Light and Northern Storm, and stack magicka in general. This will give you +25% magicka, however it is also possible to stack serious spell damage, and you get +25% from Major Sorcery + Minor Sorcery in a group. Necropotence gave you big shields. It won't anymore.

You get 20% more max stats from cp. So most mag builds will have 3
    43% more, 20% from 7% from inner light, 6% from undaunted passives and the 10% front being a high elf or breton, 33% without that. Northern storm can't me used with the bear, though if you did slot northern storm, it would be 41%. Also minor sorcery is 10% now, though you are not always with a templar and even then there are a lot of healer temps that don't use a dawns wraith skill. So it would be 30% more for spell damage. No one is saying that MS, SS and sioria are the best to use, the op is asking about nonmeta stuff. Also also, SS does not heal with heals, unless the heals you get are a percentage of the damage you caused to the target, like sweeps or swallow soul. So stacking max mag does help outside of wards.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on November 19, 2018 6:38AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Well, first of all, you have Siroria + MS? What's wrong with that? I guess MS is only BiS for classes that have the 10% crit damage passive, e.g. NB + templar. Then you should consider Spell Strategist.

Necropotence is kind of dead. To get the best out of it, you would need to be a +10% magicka race (which you probably are), slot Inner Light and Northern Storm, and stack magicka in general. This will give you +25% magicka, however it is also possible to stack serious spell damage, and you get +25% from Major Sorcery + Minor Sorcery in a group. Necropotence gave you big shields. It won't anymore.

I assume you are primarily interested in single-target DPS, since you steamroll trash mobs anyway? Examine this:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/427111/stat-based-armor-set-rankings

Spell Strategist comes with a factor of 3.875, beating Necropotence, although it arguably depends on whether you are stacking magicka or spell damage as a whole. If you PvP or run in non-optimised PvE groups, then Spinner should also be strong.

If you want something fun and non-meta, you could go for an ice build, e.g. Winterborn, Iceheart and A.N. Other. Kristofer ESO has been running such a PvP build for a while. Might be interesting to watch, as I'm sure he's optimised it to get the most out of Winterborn.

Necropotence gives +6500 magicka, the equivalent of around +650 spell damage.

Spell Strategist is stronger, but it's also stronger than any other set in the game. Necro is right in line with other sets not named SS or Siroria, like Julianos, BSW, and MS.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    . Necropotence is kind of dead. To get the best out of it, you would need to be a +10% magicka race (which you probably are), slot Inner Light and Northern Storm, and stack magicka in general. This will give you +25% magicka, however it is also possible to stack serious spell damage, and you get +25% from Major Sorcery + Minor Sorcery in a group. Necropotence gave you big shields. It won't anymore.

You get 20% more max stats from cp. So most mag builds will have 3
    43% more, 20% from 7% from inner light, 6% from undaunted passives and the 10% front being a high elf or breton, 33% without that. Northern storm can't me used with the bear, though if you did slot northern storm, it would be 41%. Also minor sorcery is 10% now, though you are not always with a templar and even then there are a lot of healer temps that don't use a dawns wraith skill. So it would be 30% more for spell damage. No one is saying that MS, SS and sioria are the best to use, the op is asking about nonmeta stuff. Also also, SS does not heal with heals, unless the heals you get are a percentage of the damage you caused to the target, like sweeps or swallow soul. So stacking max mag does help outside of wards.
    I agree with you on the healing, ofc. The only thing with your calculation is, you get 20% from CP, and so on, anyway. The real question is, by how much does that lift the 3K Necro 5-piece bonus? I argued, in a different thread, that magicka stacking is best for magicka builds, like you are doing now. I was put straight! When you play around with the UESP build editor, you can get marginally better tooltips on abilities by stacking spell damage instead, and that may have been before SS, as far as I recall.

Yeah, the OP is asking about non-meta, but Necro or Spinner and so on are just more stat sets. You want to go totally non-meta, I'm really not sure. You want to be more specific. Is it a frost build you want? A lightning build? Thunderbug is certainly fun, but wasn't all that effective on my magplar in the end. Another good thing about SS is that it lends itself to being single-barred. I like vMA resto on my off bar, as it gives me more sustain, but I always just run modified PvP builds that retain some self healing. Love Race Against Time for mobility + damage buff as well.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necropotence, burning spellweave, skoria.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    . The only thing with your calculation is, you get 20% from CP, and so on, anyway.

You could say the same thing about major sorcery, you are going to have netch up 100% of the time anyways, for the sustain if nothing else.
  • HallowedUndead
    fred4 wrote: »

In terms of Siroria, I'm just tired of running it on every magicka character. And for MS, I'm not opposed to using, just looking for a unique and overall fun build. Rn looking at mad tinkerer, maybe MS (still thinking about second set), and a monster set (i'm currently looking at some sets to use. trying to get Zaan just for the badassery)
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don’t mind somewhat lower single target output, I’ve been enjoying a heavy attack build using masters or perfect Blackrose lightning staff front bar, vma backbar, willpower jewelry, master architect/infallible aether on the body, and zaan/valkyn/iceheart monster set.
  • HallowedUndead
    jypcy wrote: »
    If you don’t mind somewhat lower single target output, I’ve been enjoying a heavy attack build using masters or perfect Blackrose lightning staff front bar, vma backbar, willpower jewelry, master architect/infallible aether on the body, and zaan/valkyn/iceheart monster set.

Looking at IA, is it worth running with mad Tinkerer? I was getting pieces of it in Hel Ra and some group members said it is for healers. But looking at it, can't a dps run it, especially if there is no healer running it?
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jypcy wrote: »

Looking at IA, is it worth running with mad Tinkerer? I was getting pieces of it in Hel Ra and some group members said it is for healers. But looking at it, can't a dps run it, especially if there is no healer running it?

Absolutely, although it is a common suggestion for endgame healers to run it. So just make sure that you and the healer aren’t both running it, because the debuffs won’t stack, but it works fine on either with this build.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Both sets synergize with the class. Siroria and SS blow them away in terms of DPS, but if you want to be unique, this is the next best set combo for magden.

ZOS really should nerf Siroria and SS. They've completely killed magicka set diversity.

Not really, siroria is indeed strong, but it has a requirement, you have to stand in the circle and you can;t get away for more than 5 seconds.

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »

Not really, siroria is indeed strong, but it has a requirement, you have to stand in the circle and you can;t get away for more than 5 seconds.

Right, but both sets are so strong, even with the requirements, that there isn't any reason to use anything else. At least before you'd see DKs running BSW, sorcs running Necropotence, wardens running Master Architect, etc. Now it's just Siroria + SS for everyone.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on November 20, 2018 7:13AM