Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Access to someone else's account

TheElvenShadow
Years ago I created an account for ESO and played maybe half an hour before going back to whatever I was doing at the time.

Earlier this year I created a new accout, using Steam this time.

Today when I logged into the PTS, using my Steam account, imagine my surprise when I see a copy (cause PTS copies the live server from time to time) of the account I created years ago!

Not really any security implication UNLESS this will also happen when PTS code is applied to the live servers...
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Current copy on PTS is the European server. Are you sure you just aren't seeing your European side of your current account?
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • TheElvenShadow
    Runs wrote: »
    Current copy on PTS is the European server. Are you sure you just aren't seeing your European side of your current account?

Both of my accounts are on the European server
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t really see any issues with using your old account on PTS ... you have the same access for creating template characters and the content is the same as everyone else (EU and NA).

The only minor problem is if you want to play character copies on your Steam account. (If so, start an online support ticket to get help).

Gameplay on PTS does not copy over or “transfer” to the live servers.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 18, 2018 11:02AM
  • TheElvenShadow
    I don’t really see any issues with using your old account on PTS

That's the thing, I'm not using my old account. I am using my new account. And when I login to the live server, I get access to my characters in my new account. When I login to the PTS (still using my new account), I get access to my characters in my old account.

If the code that handles login logic is applied to the live server, then the same issue will happen there.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you use the same email address? I sense that there is more to this.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the thing, I'm not using my old account. I am using my new account. And when I login to the live server, I get access to my characters in my new account. When I login to the PTS (still using my new account), I get access to my characters in my old account.

If the code that handles login logic is applied to the live server, then the same issue will happen there.
    What's currently on PTS is not the next patch - it's the current one (or possibly even behind live right now?). So live already has whatever code is on PTS, and you aren't having the problem on live, right?

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said, if playing your Steam account characters on PTS is important to you, start an online support ticket and list your ticket number in the forum thread here.

Also, to repeat, PTS is not in any way related to the live servers.

If you change your account that PTS points to for character copies (through the above support ticket), that does not change you being able to log into your Steam account and regular ESO account separately.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 18, 2018 5:36PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you install the PTS on Steam?

If not, you probably have the PTS installed in your old game folder, which is outside of Steam.
    idea.gif
  • TheElvenShadow
    Did you use the same email address? I sense that there is more to this.

Yes. That I did, and is probably what messed things up.

I've played on the PTS previously, and those times I've seen copies of my characters from my (new) Steam account.

Was really surprised to see the characters from my non-Steam account today.
  • TheElvenShadow
    As I said, if playing your Steam account characters on PTS is important to you, start an online support ticket and list your ticket number in the forum thread here.

Thank for your insight. No, not important. Just worried if some login logic would hit me later on.
  • TheElvenShadow
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Did you install the PTS on Steam?

Installed from the launcher. Though when I start the game, live or PTS, I do not have to enter login information since that is taken from Steam (which is the process that launches the ESO launcher).

I guess the issue is that the PTS gets the e-mail from my Steam account and logs me in to the non-Steam account for that e-mail instead of the Steam version.
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you set up your new account with a different log in? I’m confused. When you have a steam copy of the game, and buy a new copy through eso to get away from Steam, your log in info doesn’t change and your account stays the same. All that is done through the eso server side. Not your end, not Steam. So you should have still had the exact same characters the whole time unless A. You are in EU when you started the first time and NA the second time. Or vice versus. Because then the PTS characters will change every time they swap over PTS copies from one to the other. You may just be missing your chance to see your toons from the other server. Or B. You created a whole new log in, in which case the PTS would only be registering the wrong info if you are using your old log in. You can log into any computer that has ESO installed on it, and once you do the security approvals play your eso acct. only restriction to this is if you go through Steam, you would have to log into your Steam on that person’s computer too. What you are describing sounds exactly like a difference in which server is currently copied to the PTS when you are logging on because NA and EU take turns.

If you try and use the same email that is already attached to an eso acct it doesn’t let you make a new one. It tells you sorry, that email is already registered to an account. Whether you went TO steam or came from it, your log in info would’ve stayed the same password and email.
    Edited by AyeshaBelladonna on November 20, 2018 2:56PM
    NA EP CP1200+
    Original: Mag/Templar Erestem Nightblossom (Tank/Healer Hybrid, Alchemist, general nuisance)
    Alt's? at this point...so many to play, so little time!

**RED or DEAD** Long Live EP!

Leather Lace- GM, ESO Grand Designs GM, Ankle Biter for Lone Wolf United, CO-GM of Tower of Wayreth,
    Master Furnisher & Housing fanatic, PvP junkie
    Beta Tester, part of the 2013 Club