The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Population Discrepancies in Cyrodiil- possibly the last nail in the coffin?

• frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The population has been reduced several times in the past, and I believe for the best. As they add new content and new game mechanics, they forget to optimize it for pvp and the servers take a dumb everytime. Reducing the population cap helps maintaining a certain "quality of life" even thought I wish they would reduce it even more.

My personal sweet spot is when all populations are at 3bars. Still alot of opportunities to find fights and large organized groups / zergs don't impact the performances as much as when all pops are maxed.

I have been having alot of fun the past few days on PC NA in Vivec playing EP. We are getting double teamed extremely hard and it makes it easier to find fights without riding too much.
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • killahsin
    killahsin
    ✭✭✭
    I have always felt there was some hidden variable population cap fluctuation limit myself. Thats my ultimate conspiracy theory. haha
    frozywozy wrote: »

I have been having alot of fun the past few days on PC NA in Vivec playing EP. We are getting double teamed extremely hard and it makes it easier to find fights without riding too much.

I have been having a lot of fun on vivec this past week or so tbh. Servers exploded a few times but not to much.
    Edited by killahsin on November 2, 2018 4:50PM
  • Tzayad
    Tzayad
    ✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    Tzayad wrote: »
    Doomsayers gonna doomsay.

The population is fine, a new patch just came out, and there is an event going on. So either you're new to this, or just haven't noticed that this happens everytime a new patch comes out (more pronounced with an event going on at the same time).

It will pick back up like it always does in a week or two.

What's the fetish with coffin building and doomsayers? Can we at least get an original metaphor next time? At least then I'm not reading the same dumb *** every time this gets posted.

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit as I preferenced in the first sentence "over the past year." Also, I've been playing this game for damn near 5 years and I know what it's like to have a couple hundred people on both sides of a keep fight and now I know what it's like to have 50 people attacking and a dozen defending. Are you being disingenuous or are you the new one?

No new patch, but the event is going on, correct? Also probably the biggest game in recent memory was just released on console, Red Dead Redemption 2.

I'll admit that I'm on PC, but I have seen a downtick in population across campaigns, Vivec is actually in a playable state for me most of the time now due to the population decrease. But this is nothing I haven't seen before, and I've been playing since beta. On weekday nights, Vivec still gets poplocked with a 50+ queue sometimes. But again, I've seen this all before, and it always picks back up.

I can almost guarantee this is just normal fluctuation that happens all the time. The CONSTANT posts about the game dying are getting *** old. And there is no point to them! Just stop. If you see a problem with the game, send in a ticket, or create an actually helpful post, instead of a dumb one like this.

Also, I don't think "preferenced" means what you think it means.
    Beren Tinamion | Nightblade
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    Doomsayers gonna doomsay.

The population is fine, a new patch just came out, and there is an event going on. So either you're new to this, or just haven't noticed that this happens everytime a new patch comes out (more pronounced with an event going on at the same time).

It will pick back up like it always does in a week or two.

What's the fetish with coffin building and doomsayers? Can we at least get an original metaphor next time? At least then I'm not reading the same dumb *** every time this gets posted.

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit as I preferenced in the first sentence "over the past year." Also, I've been playing this game for damn near 5 years and I know what it's like to have a couple hundred people on both sides of a keep fight and now I know what it's like to have 50 people attacking and a dozen defending. Are you being disingenuous or are you the new one?

No new patch, but the event is going on, correct? Also probably the biggest game in recent memory was just released on console, Red Dead Redemption 2.

I'll admit that I'm on PC, but I have seen a downtick in population across campaigns, Vivec is actually in a playable state for me most of the time now due to the population decrease. But this is nothing I haven't seen before, and I've been playing since beta. On weekday nights, Vivec still gets poplocked with a 50+ queue sometimes. But again, I've seen this all before, and it always picks back up.

I can almost guarantee this is just normal fluctuation that happens all the time. The CONSTANT posts about the game dying are getting *** old. And there is no point to them! Just stop. If you see a problem with the game, send in a ticket, or create an actually helpful post, instead of a dumb one like this.

Also, I don't think "preferenced" means what you think it means.

I started this thread to see if people were experiencing the same thing I was in pvp across all platforms in hopes to start a conversation and to heighten awareness on this issue. A majority of the people who responded to this thread agree with my assessments but I'm still waiting for more opinions in order not to be biased. What's wrong with collecting data in order to prove an observation which in turn can be shared with the class reps on discord and eventually be shared to Zos? You tell me to create a helpful post but you've added nothing helpful to the conversation in this thread. Also, yes, I intended to use "prefaced" in my original response but my mobile had other ideas.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    killahsin wrote: »
    I have always felt there was some hidden variable population cap fluctuation limit myself. Thats my ultimate conspiracy theory. haha
    frozywozy wrote: »

I have been having a lot of fun on vivec this past week or so tbh. Servers exploded a few times but not to much.

How would you say things are compared to 6 months even a year ago. Even just 6 months ago all alliances had about 20 people in queue. It's been instantly in for the past couple of months even on the dominant alliance for me.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that would help at first, is to remove IC from the shared pool of players... give IC its own queue and separated instance and let players interested in IC port directly to it without the need of going through Cyrodiil first.

That would help first clarify how many people are left for oper world PvP on the surface, and then you can go making adjustments from there.

IMO ofc, the IC is like a limbo that could be holding half of the campaign population for a given alliance and even if they look that they'd be locked, there's nobody around to defend/fight... that kind of unknown makes hard to judge actual levels of activities on a given day... again IMO.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leeux wrote: »
    One thing that would help at first, is to remove IC from the shared pool of players... give IC its own queue and separated instance and let players interested in IC port directly to it without the need of going through Cyrodiil first.

That would help first clarify how many people are left for oper world PvP on the surface, and then you can go making adjustments from there.

IMO ofc, the IC is like a limbo that could be holding half of the campaign population for a given alliance and even if they look that they'd be locked, there's nobody around to defend/fight... that kind of unknown makes hard to judge actual levels of activities on a given day... again IMO.

That's a great point that I've never really thought about much. Thank you.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

• theyoungerbrother
    theyoungerbrother
    ✭✭✭
    Vet players tired of not being heard. Leaving for other games. I may leave for one that is hope is similar but understand the fierce nature of PvP and wants a high morale online experience
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *Logs in*

*See's bridge is destroyed*

*Logs out*
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • An_An
    An_An
    ✭✭✭
    I play in Kyne (PC NA) and it has declined in pop soooo much in the last few months. I literally recognize everyone I play with or against. Sometimes we get new players who last about a week or so though.
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly for me it’s all based on performance. I was Xbox NA and I did nothing but PvP for about 2-1/2 years until the disconnects and bugs started making me lose interest. I’ve taken really long breaks from ESO and every time I want to come back I quickly learn that performance still hasn’t improved. And of course performance always sucked even worse right after a DLC.

Also, I posted about dynamic population caps in 2015, it’s always been a problem but the ZOS folk are likely zergers which it would hardly affect.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So after this week I'm not so sure the population is actually dying. both EP and AD have had decent size ques in Vivec as well as being pop locked most of the afternoon into the night. DC had 3 bars in both Vivec and shor for a period of time yesterday.

I'm starting to think the problem is something else. If you like big Zerg alliance vs alliance battles than there is plenty of action, but if you are trying to find smaller fights the map is a ghost town it's either you are in the 100 v 100 fight or you don't fight anyone at all. So if you are a solo player or even a smaller group player and you are looking for fun winnable fights you are going to have a bad time. So the PvP population is alive and well it's just more congested than ever before.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So after this week I'm not so sure the population is actually dying. both EP and AD have had decent size ques in Vivec as well as being pop locked most of the afternoon into the night. DC had 3 bars in both Vivec and shor for a period of time yesterday.

I'm starting to think the problem is something else. If you like big Zerg alliance vs alliance battles than there is plenty of action, but if you are trying to find smaller fights the map is a ghost town it's either you are in the 100 v 100 fight or you don't fight anyone at all. So if you are a solo player or even a smaller group player and you are looking for fun winnable fights you are going to have a bad time. So the PvP population is alive and well it's just more congested than ever before.

You know I think you bring up a fantastic point and I have noticed it as well. I think the biggest problem is with dc itself. They only attack but don't protect. So when I'm solo protecting with 10 randoms against 30-50 ep/ad it's rough. Ep/ad do protect their keeps so when dc tries to attack, they show up in huge numbers. So, it looks like we're completely outnumbered no matter what we do... but it's because dc is an one dimensional alliance.

That being said I've been playing mostly in shor now. If I'm going to get ran down by a dozen people at least I can experience it without lag.
    Edited by usmguy1234 on November 14, 2018 1:17PM
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox EU - Most PvPers I know took a break when Murkmire released and went on to play other games until they fix bugs.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's a combination problem. A 60+ zerg by itself is not the end of the world because zergers are usually pretty awful and can be taken down by a good medium sized group. The lag by itself is not a total deal breaker (although still completely unacceptable, given the amount of cash this game is netting someone), as you know that everyone is lagging equally and you can adjust your play-style to accommodate it. The zerg and the lag together is game breaking though because you can't fight through load screens and disconnects, and no one wants to put time, effort, and sometimes money on the table when the only thing determining a "winner" boils down to whoever the rng decides to Dashboard first. Even trying to play on the outskirts of the map by myself or with a couple of friends feels futile, because at some point, either one of the zerg-blobs or a load screen is going to get you.

Personally, as much as I love this game and the PvP format, I just don't have the drive to play through that as much as I used to. It's frustrating and ultimately boring. I haven't lost interest in the game, but I have lost interest in making excuses for and developing workarounds for a problem that should be handled by the company we're all paying to handle it.

On the plus side, I have started saving a lot more money by not spending it on crowns anymore.
    Edited by p00tx on November 14, 2018 7:13PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP has taken a huge dive since last patch or even before, the lag is so bad. AD use to compete for the crown there but we just lost by like 25k pts lol the most ive ever seen. We are not even going in there any more other then to get tiers up for crystals.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    p00tx wrote: »
    I think it's a combination problem. A 60+ zerg by itself is not the end of the world because zergers are usually pretty awful and can be taken down by a good medium sized group. The lag by itself is not a total deal breaker (although still completely unacceptable, given the amount of cash this game is netting someone), as you know that everyone is lagging equally and you can adjust your play-style to accommodate it. The zerg and the lag together is game breaking though because you can't fight through load screens and disconnects, and no one wants to put time, effort, and sometimes money on the table when the only thing determining a "winner" boils down to whoever the rng decides to Dashboard first. Even trying to play on the outskirts of the map by myself or with a couple of friends feels futile, because at some point, either one of the zerg-blobs or a load screen is going to get you.

Personally, as much as I love this game and the PvP format, I just don't have the drive to play through that as much as I used to. It's frustrating and ultimately boring. I haven't lost interest in the game, but I have lost interest in making excuses for and developing workarounds for a problem that should be handled by the company we're all paying to handle it.

On the plus side, I have started saving a lot more money by not spending it on crowns anymore.

Agreed. This game has become more zergy than it's ever been imo. I hardly see other solo players much anymore.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a moment thought this was a necro .
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a moment thought this was a necro .

It is. I'm just going with it.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk