Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Gametiquette guides? Player DOs/DON'Ts?

• chipz88b14_ESO
    These responses are interesting. I am also an ESO fan with little MMO experience (the only other MMO I ever played was Runescape). It makes me question if some of my actions up to this point would cause others to think I was a jerk.

The only thing I have to add to the original question: A few days ago I was I was in an area where a quest boss spawns. There are a few books to read there, so I was reading away when I noticed a lower level player come in to fight the quest boss. I didn't get involved at first, but when it seemed questionable if the player would win I unleashed my most powerful spell on the NPC to ensure the player's victory. The player was grateful.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    I've been node jumped a couple of times, particularly early on when I was still getting an idea what the game and controls were about. Meh. I seem to find nodes everywhere and if they need those three pieces of raw jute to make their life complete, then more power to them.

But when it happened tonight - I approached a node, paused, started to click on it and was pushed out of the way by someone so they could get it - I was pretty annoyed.
    Edited by MaxBat on April 5, 2014 5:43AM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, I play a destro staff DK and I'm always careful not to pull (with the chain) or knock (with the staff) a mob away from someone else. I've had it done to me and although it's probably just mindless button-mashing and not meant badly, it's quite annoying.
  • LimeFox
    LimeFox
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the node stealing thing... had that happen while fighting enemies too. :/

I wonder if at some point the devs will "cap" the amount of stuff you can harvest in a day - for example, no more than 50 or 100 iron ores, no more than X number of maple, etc... I know it would aggravate some crafters - me included! - but I am concerned about material farmers and gold farmers clearing out an area to the point I can't find anything. If I ever get to the point I have to buy mats because people are strip mining a zone down to nothing, I'll be a bit peeved about it. So far I've really not had that problem though. I'm finding Keen Eye is very useful for getting there first!
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sockmunkey wrote: »
    Dont be a *** and use that chain attack to literally pull a mob away from someone who clearly doesn't need the help. If you want to help, fine, help. But dont literally snatch the critter away forcing the original player to go chasing after it.
    Now I could envisage THAT is an irritating thing to a lot of people, though it doesn't bother me personally. I don't use the chain attack if other players were attacking it before I did, just out of politeness.

• leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... hmm... good point about the chain attach... I sort of used it to attract enemies away from the main fighting... But I think I only did that when the other player was fighting another monster and was in the process of being attacked by a second or third one.

In any case, as I leveled up I found that I'm using the chain attack less and less...

But I'll try to be sure that when I use it from now, I don't grab any monsters from others, unless it's strictly necessary.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Vilified
    Vilified
    ✭✭
    Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Always a good rule for any situation involving people, even across the internet.
    Ayita of the Dominion
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resource nodes tend to be plentiful and respawn frequently. If an army of farmers were there, I could see an issue, but for the most part resources seem to be plentiful.

Chests, on the other hand, are a limited resource and they do not seem to respawn as frequently. These are the times I see people hanging back waiting for the monster to be distracted so they can get to the chest first without entering combat.

If PVP were enabled across all of Tamriel, I feel chests would be easily located simply by searching for a group of players fighting.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Metella
    Metella
    ✭✭
    LimeFox wrote: »
    So far I've really not had that problem though. I'm finding Keen Eye is very useful for getting there first!

Drat, I keep forgetting that the nodes are first come first served :/ I don't think I've stolen any from other players, though. Was planning to leave all my crafting stuff to my crafting character (a runaway Altmer in Daggerfall, skipping through the fields around town in his rags, picking flowers and crafting...) but I guess I should probably level my main 2 characters' crafting at least enough to get Keen Eye - how far does that mean? I'm a little worried as although I've found a reasonable amount of iron (comparable to a similar playtime in Skyrim, if not a little more) I have found a total of FOUR alchemy ingredients. As in, items, not different varieties. Is there anywhere to buy them cheaply in town?

Sorry, this is maybe a bit of a threadjack, I can't remember if I've posted on this thread before, but am v grateful for all the responses, and the OP for asking! I've been a bit worried about some of this, esp whether it's worse to help someone out who might not need/want it or to leave them to fight (and thus maybe look like an unhelpful jerk!)
  • Morana
    Morana
    ✭✭✭
    While not stealing chests that others are clearing mobs to get, also don't hover spamming the interact key waiting for them to fail their try. That's just plain rude. They were there, it's theirs, even if it takes a couple of tries (lag or a long day at the office can make even a simple lock difficult). If they run out of lockpicks and leave, then have at it.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Morana wrote: »
    also don't hover spamming the interact key waiting for them to fail their try. .

Don't agree I'm afraid. They can have the first attempt. In most cases, I don't even wait to see if they fail, but if their nerve doesn't hold and I've waited around (which will have taken longer than they took to kill the chest guardians), then I will grab it.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that worries me is that after the chest is unlocked it transitions to a new chest that can be opened with a second select using "E".

Is it possible for someone to spam "E" and catch the recently unlocked chest before the person who unlocks it can get to what is inside?

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a guide. It's a bit old, but still is a good start.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RakeWorm: Thanks for the link! I'll take a look at it now...

But I hope that some time in the future the more veteran players have their hand at making one for TESO too :)

I'd do it, but I think it will take me years to become experienced enough in this game, with the kind of free time I have now to dedicate to it :blush:

Cheers!

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    I'm not so concerned about kill stealing as I am about people who hang back until the monster attacks me, run past me to get whatever treasure is behind the monster, then turn around and run past me again on the way out, leaving me to finish off the monster.

This is a major issue in online games.

I had suggested the following to ZOS:
    - When a player enters 'n' radius of a treasure or collectable, 'flag' that as belonging to said player for 'x' seconds and/or until monsters within that radius are defeated. If they do not collect it within 'x' seconds, or the monster is not killed, it is open for someone else. A player cannot 're-flag' the object for 'x' seconds after their previous flag expires (to avoid abuse).

That would cleanly solve the issue. Feel free to suggest the same to them.

Actually....a better solution for this would be to make nodes/chests in dungeons and open world lootable by everyone....but Zenimax is too afraid that'd ruin the "economy". Not having an auction house ruins the economy, as players can now jack prices up to whatever they want without anyone to come along and undercut them.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that worries me is that after the chest is unlocked it transitions to a new chest that can be opened with a second select using "E".

Is it possible for someone to spam "E" and catch the recently unlocked chest before the person who unlocks it can get to what is inside?

Yes. And I've had people take the stuff in a chest I'd just unlocked when I realized I didn't have enough inventory space and stopped to make room.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭

You don't actually have to hit E to open it after you unlock, it automatically does it. Someone can't sneak in and grab that E just as you unlock it. But if you close the chest, to open your inventory or something, then it becomes free to anyone.

• leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metella wrote: »
    <snip>Sorry, this is maybe a bit of a threadjack, <snip>

Do not worry, no problem from me... I think the thread already served a very useful purpose...

For me, at least, the clarifying of the non-existence of kill stealing/loot stealing which was the main reason I didn't stop to help more actively when needed.

And also made clear that are some of possible stealing of resources (like the locked chest thing above, that I didn't knew) exists and one has to be careful of that while playing.

And also remarked some annoying conducts to be aware of, so we don't do the same :)

I was thinking of editing the first post adding a sort of summary of the things mentioned (with credit to the persons that said it, of course) for easier reference.

Maybe tomorrow I'll take some time to do that :)

Cheers!

EDIT: Fixed bad quoting
    Edited by leeux on April 5, 2014 8:58PM

My chars
    I only PvP on AD chars

• Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Morana wrote: »
    While not stealing chests that others are clearing mobs to get, also don't hover spamming the interact key waiting for them to fail their try. That's just plain rude. They were there, it's theirs, even if it takes a couple of tries (lag or a long day at the office can make even a simple lock difficult). If they run out of lockpicks and leave, then have at it.

Oddly there is no reason to even bother ninjaing the chest. If you stand near it while it is picked after they take their look you will get one to open.

• Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well OP,

Don't
    pick up flowers, ore, chest´s if you see someone fighting a mob at the same spot. Its a good chance they fight that mob to get the chest, ore etc. I often had people stealing my chest in this game, they see I fight and open the chest and leave... ya that's not very nice.

Try
    to help if needed, but don't necessarily attack every mob you see someone having a fight with. But as others said, there is no kill stealing in TESO so its more about taking their challenge away than the actual loot.

Don't
    knockback mobs from a tank, don't taunt them off.

Don't
    stand with your horse infront of an NPC, to block the view of others.

Don't
    tell others how to play, its disrespectful to be a teacher if no teaching is desired.

Don't
    jump into the water if you see someone fishing, they don't want to fish you.

Don't
    use Caps lock in conversations.

Don't
    ninja invite people to your guild or group. Ask them first, we have a shared quest & loot system so parties are not needed unless you know each other or want company.

Don't
    talk about RL stuff in public chat´s. Nobody wants to know how long your hair is or how often you had sex this month. (yes some people indeed think this is a wonderful topic at MMOs)

Don't
    pull many mobs and let them run after you. One AOE and another player has them in his or her belly... the claws or swords of them.

Templers can heal yes, I play a hybrid of tank & heal - only selfheal however, works well. ;) You can spec as an AOE or pure healer too as a Templar, not tried that yet however :D
    Edited by Audigy on April 5, 2014 9:39PM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind when someone helps with an attack when doing a quest and several players are all trying to get the same thing done. What does irritate me is when I am out in the open away from any quests and get uninvited help with a fight I have well in hand. Later on it might not be as much an issue. I am playing a character type I haven't really played before and my success in battles will depend on dodging more than I have had to do in the past. So early in this game I am going out and finding a variety of creatures I can fight and just practice blocking and dodging for a while before finally thumping them. I know people are just helping, but gets a bit irritating. Would be nice if we had an "oh @#$#&quot; button we could hit when we really did need help on those fights. I usually stop and watch a battle when I see one and only step in if it is obvious the player needs the help. I play slow anyway so stopping to watch others fight kind of fits into my style anyway.

I tend to curse at the little troll standing on top of my monitor when someone grabs one of those runes I just killed a spider to get to, so for the sake of my trolls self esteem would be nice if people stopped that.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."