Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

How do you feel the shield changes have affected pvp?

Tasear
Tasear
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gone to another skill that I will not mention for fear it will be next to be nerfed. The new build has worked well.

Of course this is when I am playing magicka.
    Edited by idk on November 13, 2018 6:04AM
    Options
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its fine if you adapt to the changes, people on forums will always find something to complain about.
    Options
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can still kill scrubs, so I guess we need more nerfs....
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
    Options
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty terrible in bgs, which you’d expect since every change is made with cp in mind.
    Options
  • JackWest92
    JackWest92
    ✭✭✭
    Used to play magsorc til recently. Didnt notice much changes other than bleeds destroying my shield so i struggle to live against players utilizing bleeds. I think thats more of an issue with bleeds than shields though. If it feels too bad you can always follow Speed Kills’s teachings and play argonian sorc without a shield but heals instead
    Edited by JackWest92 on November 13, 2018 8:17AM
    PC-EU

Archmage Regalliona EP Magicka Sorcerer
    Regalliona EP Stamina Nightblade
    Aims-for-the-bushes EP Magicka Templar
    Kills-with-patience DC Magicka Nightblade
    Regallion Thunderborn EP Stamina Dragon Knight
    Regalliona Flameborn DC Magicka Dragon Knight
    Regalliona Stormrage AD Magicka Warden
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I need yet another defensive set to compensate crit. It's doable, but this means even less sustain on a class people have already been struggling with sustain. And it means less damage, on the class that was supposed to be a glassy high-damage nuker.
    Sorc/mage design in this game is just awful.
    Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few comments for me..:

Sacrifices
    After a complete re-build - they seem strong enough - but the sacrifices made have been painful... Dropping 10k mag, losing mag sustain, losing a lot of stam sustain, and having to slot 2 skills not needed (or only on overload bar) before.. Boundless and Dark Exch.
    Sorc ability bars were already very crowded - now they are a nightmare. I only run one shield, one weak hot (and dark exch), and can't fit in an execute or a CC anymore (unless you count BoL or Atro landing as a CC...). This is VERY painful.

Options
    I feel pidgeon-holed into running light transmutation and resists monster-sets. I still don't think heavy is viable with the sustain issues, and not using shields could only be possible with maybe Argonian.. maybe..

Synergies
    Shields now work mechanic-wise exactly like health. EXCEPT when blocking comes into play. So WHY does magsorc now have buffs for blocking yet still has shield as his primary class-based defence. Blocking+heal is much, much more effective than blocking with shields.. Yet magsorc has trash heals to go with those block bonuses.. I don't get it. There is still the same issue that you can run a pet to get a decent instant heal to use with ice-staff blocking - but you STILL NEED A SHIELD TO KEEP PET ALIVE!!!! I hate this - another terrible synergy, and that shield uses the pet's poor resists, and is limited by his poor health, and gets no benefits from CP damage reductions, making it VERY costly to try to keep a pet alive via shielding.
    Honestly, its the terrible synergies for sorc (related to shields) that annoys me more than anything.

Buggy casting
    Something is broken - I made a separate post about it somewhere... https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/445184/fix-shields-please#latest
    Basically, as a primary defensive mechanic, they suffer from lag far, far worse than stam (off-cooldown) defences. This is all the more painful now with how impossible it is to build for stam sustain on a mag class while also having the resists/impen needed to keep shields worth casting.

Sorc Direction
    A slight tangent to the original question, but related. What are sorc's meant to be? If the intention in nerfing shields was to make them more of a glass cannon - it fails. Sorcs cannot be a glass cannon this patch because to fire that cannon, they need to stand and cast only offensive stuff for 4 seconds against the same target. One defensive cast in there messes up the whole timing and the burst is ruined.
    So, to be able to do this, sorc MUST be able to survive for 4 seconds without doing anything defensive. This used to be possible with a shield-stack before starting that 4-second rotation(but could still be interrupted by a CC or big incoming burst). Now, well, nothing changes except that for the sorc to build so that he can survive that 4 seconds with Murkmire shields, the cannon has gone (and to be fair - it hasn't been much of a cannon for a long while before that).

Others
    As a result of building to make your shield worth the cooldown (or 5 - see above) needed to cast it, you're significantly tougher when unshielded (and gank-resistant - NB's gonna hate that) - making shields slightly LESS necessary - but the alternatives still aren't there to do away with them completely as a build choice.
    Given the sacrifices that need to be made for shields now - there is no place in the game for shieldbreaker (and arguably infused torugs oblivion builds)
    Edited by Biro123 on November 13, 2018 11:04AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Biro123 nailed it

Why be a sorc when other classes have the same success or more with far less effort?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally i feel the changes to shields and the resulting changes to gearing are something positive overall from the perspective of magica builds.

The changes that make it currently less fun overall to play around shielded builds are not directly related to the shield changes but rather to:

1. Sorc having inadequate healing compared to other classes - which further excerbates barspace issues the class already faced. You now have to slot singlepurpose healing and armor/mitigation skills on top of everything else with a class that was already struggling with skillslots before these changes.

2. Healing ward being nerfed to uselessness (this is massive on all magica staff builds) - most likely to avoid making blackrose resto OP in combination with this morph. Imo skills should never be adjusted with optional gear in mind. Utterly terrible change.

3. Shieldbreaker and obliviondmg not being adjusted even though shields did get adjusted.
    Edited by Derra on November 13, 2018 11:08AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    btw, although my post may have sounded overly negative, I do agree with @Derra in that the changes are positive overall - and will hopefully make other, positive class changes possible going forward.
    Edited by Biro123 on November 13, 2018 11:30AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a good change
    Edited by Maryal on November 13, 2018 11:54AM
    Options
  • leb91han
    leb91han
    ✭✭✭
    From what i m seeing sorc took lots of nerfs but its still playable (i honestly thought sorc was doomed before i was able to try the new changes) . But i am making lots of sacrifices in order to play . When i jumped to cyro with the same build i v been using since like 8 months it was hell my shields were burning like crazy it was hell . But i made many changes to the build so it feels much better now. But the true nerf i still feel is the healing ward, the resto shield. Why ? Because of the tight space on bars and abilities now even more then ever i have to get spell dmg from pots so no surge or any kind of healing other then ward and dark deal . I came across this guy in cyro was fighting him he s real good stam player and now he playing with bleeds , it was so tough coz in all the fight i was at mid health couldnt get it higher. Coz the only heal i get was ward and need full 6 secs for it to heal , which i couldnt do, not even once in the duel coz shields were burning so fast (even with the new changes and high resistances i added to the build) and dark exch didnt help much coz i was constantly reverb bashed coz i was able only to press it after i got stunned and reverb reduce the healing so it healed me very minimal . That sucks i dont have any kind of good healing in a good duel . But still i could use resto ulti . But i dont do that on duel so i was cornered and lost the duel simply coz of lack of space bar abilities. 😔
    Edited by leb91han on November 13, 2018 12:30PM
    Options
  • Betty_Booms
    Betty_Booms
    ✭✭✭
    The healing capability of the class is what lets it down the most. The best argument right niw is why be a mag sorc? It is literally outperformed on survivability, healing and damage by everythung else.
    Options
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblade can overcome the shield changes by building around Shade and clever movement. Oh wait..

Cloak spam or insta-die.
    Joined September 2013
    Options
  • Grind_Zilla
    Grind_Zilla
    ✭✭
    yep peeps on forum shud complain about the developers agenda towards gamers rather then fight amongst themself in some forum thread.
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As some guys have mentioned above, heling with a sorc is not good without a reliable shield. Matriarch is weak and has some delay, while DD has a cast time. I haven't tried clanfear, but the heal based in Health is not good imho.

I think that's a good start, maybe clanfear should give a HoT instead its current heal, so after you use the skill you just focus on keeping the shield up
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not as much as expected ... neither for better nor for worse.

The reason? Because the new meta is dominated by bleeds and oblivion damage. Shield spammers have much bigger problems than the nerfs caused. Cloakers, of course, are stronger than ever, since ZOS will never nerf NBs.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
    Options
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gained 2 new crafters so I guess it went well...
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
    Options
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a good change overall. Sorc is still doing decent, but lost some of it's enourmous strength that it had because of the shields last patch.

But as always... Good sorcs are still doing really well on the class. Look at Malcolm on PC/EU. Still rockin' that sorc and still killing whatever he fancies. Bad sorcs are failing miserably due to them being unable to adapt - and find other ways to get around the shields.

But in general, I think this change was good. For more than just sorcs.

Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
    Options
  • smarmyguy
    smarmyguy
    Elo been a sorc since xbox release.

You need to take a step back and completely redesign your load out. I've been running spinner lich infernal g and willpower for as long as i can remember. Yes it was over powered but I think the nerfs have been to much at once. They should have brought them in one at a time to find a good balance rather than nerfing nearly every skill and how sheilds work.

See below my new build which is work in progress but im having some good results at the moment:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=97701

It also works with lich instead of shackle just slightly less stam and stam recov.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

PC Steve N Jake (Xbox eu) @Smarmyguy (PC)
    PC Steve N Jake (Xbox eu)
    Mag Sorc: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=97524
    Mag DK

@smarmyguy (PC EU)
    Mag DK
    Options
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @smarmyguy
    Dude... please stop copy/pasting this exact same post on every thread that mentions sorcs.

@Biro123
    Amazing post! You nailed it.

@Tasear
    As the Sorc Class Rep, are all of these question posts that you're making used for info gathering so that you can present a well-rounded perspective on issues to the devs?

In PvP, little seems different. Since we already had a 50% reduction to shield size tied to Battle Spirit, I think my shield (which was nerfed over 60% in PvE) is smaller, but pretty similar in PvP to what it was. My main troubles have more to do with lack of bar space. I certainly don't have any room to shield stack, even if I wanted to. It also stinks that the pets get hit by this reduction too. Their health is puny and unbuffable. I really don't think the size limitations should apply to them.

PvE is noticeably worse, especially in places like vMA. The shield gets dropped so quickly that it practically feels like a waste of resources, and the pets die much more frequently. A great example is the mechanical spider boss on the 3rd arena. If a shield is applied to the pets, it is gone the next second, as the boss launches bombs at them, and they are dead in about 3-4 hits. Previously, casting my shield once at the beginning of the fight would have been sufficient to keep them alive until the boss went down. It doesn't feel more exciting or challenging, it just feels like an annoying drain on attention and resources.
    Edited by dpencil1 on November 13, 2018 3:44PM
    Options
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These changes are horrible. I can't play light armor magblade anymore, I've basically stop grinding undaunted on my mag warden as well it's really no point. I'm finding the main reason that these nerfs hurt is because burst damage wasn't adjusted to compensate for the shield nerf. there were already players melting shields before the nerf so it's not surprising that survivability took a big hit.

Magicka users already had difficult times building characters. People think magicka players were just stacking magicka and calling it a day but that wasn't the case. Getting a decent magicka pool was just one thing you had to build for. You also had to build a lot of mag regen, and find away to get a big Stam pool and decent Stam regen. So magicka users already had to sacrifice a lot of damage. Now you have to add resistances and crit damage meaning you have to sacrifice even more damage.

The fact that mag characters had to build Stam sustain was the equivalent of Stam building for resistances since Stam doesn't need to build mag sustain. So now as a mag character you still need a big mag pool, you need to run a huge amount of mag regen, a big Stam pool, high Stam regen, high resistances, and high crit resist (no reason to even think about getting spell damage in there) where as Stam you only need to build resist, crit resist and weapon damage, which is basically all packed into certain Stam heavy armor sets. This is far from balanced. If you play medium add Stam regen in there. If we are going to be forced into playing heavy can we get a magicka version of 7th, and fury
    Options
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a sorc, but on NB I just dropped light armor entirely and rely on heavy armor for my defense now. The shields change by itself reduces build variety, but certain builds were still viable enough to be used.

The Healing Ward nerf, on the other hand, hurt exponentially worse, and is one of the reasons I've stopped playing this patch.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
    Options
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The changes made me significantly better in PvP!

(I switched mains to a stamden)
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

Options
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aside from the change to healing ward I like the shield changes
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
    Options
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the main problems with sorc is that our sustain is so bad that we have to use sustain sets and light armor to even be viable. This seriously hurts our build flexibility and options to deal with the shield changes. I've been running 1 sustain, 1 defensive(resistance buff) set, and I've been able to decently mitigate the changes that way, but I still much prefer the previous shields. Tbh, you can probably get shields that absorb more damage this patch than last patch, but your sustain will be terrible if you do so.

I'd imagine the changes aren't quite as impactful in CP PvP, but it is quite noticeable in non CP. The most shoehorned class is just more shoehorned now.
    Options
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive never had sustain issues on my sorc, when did this become a thing?
    Options
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing ward is now ineffective as a recovery tool now that the initial heal is gone and the Light Armor shields don’t feel like they are worth casting most of the time as they are shredded almost instantly for little to no resources... If mages are supposed to survive by kitting instead of damage shield face tanking then grace is gonna need to be buffed (or made to remove snares additivively instead of multiplicatively), magic mobility skills will need to have their expedition uptimes buffed, and magic root/snare removal skills will need to be introduced to classes that lack them
    Options
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    Aside from the change to healing ward I like the shield changes

How were you using healing ward in combat that can't be done as well now?
    Options
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

I haven't been hit by curse or crystal frags since the launch of murkmire. Literally very few sorcs in pvp including myself.... I've moved on to magplar. It is very strong this patch.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

Options