The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

A Request for more item spaces

Mordite
Mordite
✭✭
Several posters here have complained about the item limit on housing storage limiting what can be done, especially on larger homes such as the Grand Psijic Villa.

Put simply, I am not here to whine, but to suggest ways to accomplish this, and to monetize it, since that seems to be the best way to ensure that something gets the priority it needs.

(1) There is already a precedent in game for buying bank or inventory slots for either crowns or gold. A similar mechanism for adding item slots to an owned house seems reasonable, and it would provide a gold sink or crown store revenue stream while simultaneously making enthusiastic decorators happy.

(2) The added slots would not need to go to all houses owned,necessarily, but could be either a pool added only to the owner's primary residence or purchased on a specific house by house basis. The Primary Residence thing might cause issues with reassigning primary residence status while over the base item limit, that's a coding thing. But it seems fairly straightforward to implement either as a purchased token you activate within the house or as an option from the crown store menu of the housing editor.

Any thoughts from the community or feedback would be welcome.
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos have already said that the item limit is in place because of server load/catering for lower spec machines.

To introduce a Crown bought increase would be difficult, unless Zos want to admit they have been lying to us.

The only reasonable suggestion i have seen is to make houses with an outdoors and an indoors so the load restrictions do no longer apply as it is now 2 seperate realms.

This would not suit all houses, but Psijic Villa would have been a perfect candidate to test on.

The item slot increase has been talked about for years, with no changes - so pretty safe to say it will not happen despite the many, many threads about it.

Over to you Zos.............................
  • Mordite
    Mordite
    ✭✭
    They jacked up the memory and minimum hardware demands with Summerset when they went to multithread processing.

Surely the item limits could be altered to reflect this.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a good explanation as to why this probably can't happen.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/420541/explaining-the-house-slot-problem-and-why-it-is-difficult-to-solve/p1

And as suggested above many people have asked that indoors and outdoors be treated as separate instances. That would make people who own homes with no outdoors unhappy thinking it isn't fair. Not sure what to do about that. Was thinking maybe separate upstairs/downstairs or something like that but that opens up new problems.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/420541/explaining-the-house-slot-problem-and-why-it-is-difficult-to-solve/p1

And as suggested above many people have asked that indoors and outdoors be treated as separate instances. That would make people who own homes with no outdoors unhappy thinking it isn't fair. Not sure what to do about that. Was thinking maybe separate upstairs/downstairs or something like that but that opens up new problems.

The thing is, places with no outdoor space are a breeze to decorate. I seldom even hit the item cap on those.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they ever were able to increase the item limit on homes, I'd hope they'd just make it a base-game update. Wishful thinking, I know. If they were to monetize it, I'd only ever pay with gold. I'd live with the current limitations if the only way to increase was to give ZOS more crowns.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

People with no outdoors are unlikely to run into the item limit problem for two reasons:

1. They only have the indoors to furnish (which is pretty obvious).

2. Houses with no exterior are few and far between, and those are smaller homes which are much easier to furnish satisfactorily within the item limit.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'm personally fine, and work with the currently item limits in my houses, it would always be good to have more slots. However, I'd much rather see more of variety in the sizes of houses being offered. It just seems the small and mid-sized houses are disappearing with each update. And they seem to be getting larger and larger in general. Not that the houses aren't beautiful! They are! But some are almost as big as certain cities and towns in the game.

I would like to see ZOS ensure that for each new chapter that at least one house of each size/price (small, medium, grande) is included to offer as much variety to the player base as possible.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see ZOS ensure that for each new chapter that at least one house of each size/price (small, medium, grande) is included to offer as much variety to the player base as possible.

Agreed.

• Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Notable houses I'd deal with a load screen going in and out of the house from the courtyard if they could make them separate instances so we could put double the furnishings total in the house. 700 inside, 700 outside.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mordite wrote: »
    Several posters here have complained about the item limit on housing storage limiting what can be done, especially on larger homes such as the Grand Psijic Villa.

Put simply, I am not here to whine, but to suggest ways to accomplish this, and to monetize it, since that seems to be the best way to ensure that something gets the priority it needs.

(1) There is already a precedent in game for buying bank or inventory slots for either crowns or gold. A similar mechanism for adding item slots to an owned house seems reasonable, and it would provide a gold sink or crown store revenue stream while simultaneously making enthusiastic decorators happy.

(2) The added slots would not need to go to all houses owned,necessarily, but could be either a pool added only to the owner's primary residence or purchased on a specific house by house basis. The Primary Residence thing might cause issues with reassigning primary residence status while over the base item limit, that's a coding thing. But it seems fairly straightforward to implement either as a purchased token you activate within the house or as an option from the crown store menu of the housing editor.

Given how they treated outfit slots, if they added item slots to houses it would be something like 2500 crowns per item, per house, per toon.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mordite wrote: »

Just seen your post @Mordite .

I'm sorry to say that I think this is a very, very, VERY bad idea.

Firstly, if @ZOS decide that increasing the item slot limit is after all possible, then it would be less than ethical to cash in (pun intended) on the hopes and requests of the vast majority of house owners.

Secondly, and even more appalling, would be the notion of charging for each individual property owned by players.....whether by primary residence or by specific house by house basis. In the end they both come to the same result anyway, which would be a below the belt way of boosting @ZO$' finances at the cost of the housing community....because they know exactly how very much increased item slots are desired. I would go so far as to guess/hope that very few of our house owners would fall for that ploy, and most would prefer to make do with the current limitations.

But all this is second-guessing what @ZOS are likely to do, and I do have enough faith in their integrity to believe that they won't go down that route.

If I may ask, are you an 'enthusiastic decorator'? And if so, how many houses/properties do you own?

If the answer comes back as yes, and you have a number of homes, then I am totally astonished by your suggestions.

• Lasinagol
    Lasinagol
    ✭✭✭
    Housing is pretty much the only reason I play anymore. The item limit is a pain, yes, but if Zos is stonewalling because of us console scrubs...then what is possible with next gen consoles and will ESO be compatible with them....if so...then the housing could become quite epic...
    Altmer Supremist, filthy spell slinger since Nerevar was assasinated
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The precedence OP brings up for purchasing more bank or inventory space is from a system that was built with that in mind so it is not really precedence as OP suggests.

I am certainly not suggesting we do not need a means to get more spaces for furnishings in our homes. Unfortunately this is just one of several areas Zos has shown their incompetence to think things through when they designed a system for the game.

While the reason Zos has capped furnishings at current levels is based in a flawed design, their reasoning is because they do not want to rent more server capacity to handle the housing. It is really a pathetic excuse considering how much revenue they make off housing.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You will get a lot of why it cant happen in this thread. But the long and short of it is that ZOS is simply to lazy to do it. Instead they are going to sell us 900 houses all on Kmart blue light special for the price of a one night stay in a 3 star hotel. When that dries up they will cash in on the very large houses with very few slots with a sudden miracle of now they can add slots to houses like bank and inventory. We will be able to purchase these on the per house basis for 1000 crowns for 100 slots.

Create a problem, then sell the solution. It is the American way.
  • Mordite
    Mordite
    ✭✭
    The reason I suggested ZOS "cash in" is my hope that greed will trump laziness.
  • Mordite
    Mordite
    ✭✭
    Although, upon reflection, given the reviews of Fallout 76 Beta I have seen, incompetence IS a nontrivial concern.
  • Khaleesi8688
    Khaleesi8688
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are numerous notable homes with either no outdoor space or no actual door going from indoor to outdoor so I don't think seperated instances would be a very good option since it couldn't be applied to many of the larger homes. Pariah's Pinnacle, Earthtear Cavern and Erstwhile Sanctuary quickly come to mind.