Years of nerfs

taleth
taleth
✭✭✭
All the nerf bat swings have really taken a toll on me. I used to love this game and it still has potential but it seems every time I make a build gear it out and start enjoying it; then bam a update comes and kills the gear sets and all the time and coin put into it. I am left back to drawing bord as a new carrot on a stick is introduced only to be nerfed in future. Games in past have done this to me and it makes it easy to jump ship when time comes but only to have them do same crap at some point. Is this just the life of mmos? Will there ever be a developer that makes surgical tweeks for balance insteat of a bludgeoning nerf bat?
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no this isnt life of mmos
    if you looked for example on gw2 you can see how they fixed something which they broke with balance with their last expansion, every other good mmo isnt like eso - slowly fixing broken thing or adding unneccessary thing breaking game more for you

and you are right with this game have potential but since good 3 years ZOS is wasting it in every next patch while destroying your fun via "their balance" ignoring 95% of good feedback, thats why I was quitintg from eso 2 times;
    1st at morrowind, get very sick with these changes here but then I back here after half of year but now more for like casual agaming instead of high lvl endgame ike before
    and here comes 2nd quit at summerset with more bad changes and to it more proc sets and as I see how these patches are going I dont see any plans to even think about returning again to ESO

its sad for me as I really liked this game and that was hard for me to find other game pleasant game like this but its still hard for me while Im able to find other just enjoyable but still this isnt same as ESO was and I still dont thing about return to ESO as I lurking on forums and patch notes and I see how its going
    and now writing it I just reminded myself how I was playing for yearas in runescape before ESO, these 2 games was my only in which I was playing over 1 year nonstop, in RS I was playing good 5+ years before ESO, then ESO hitted and was playing since beta till morrowind so almost 3 years, I havnt playing in any other game for that long almost nonstop and ZOS just broke me from ESO while RS is still on good way as I see
    Options
  • Latios
    Latios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve lost count of just how many gear sets I have that are totally useless now. All golded out, sitting in my bank.

I agree it’s bad. The problem is that you cant choose from many sets; there’s always a BiS for PvE that outperforms the other sets considerably. Some of them requires a lot of farming, too.

If ZOS wants to introduce new stuff, make them have a similar level of performance, so players won’t need to spend a lot of time and gold on new sets if they don’t want to. Also, they need to stop destroying old sets. And update those trash ones.. (hi, Ashen grip).

That’s what I like in PvP, at least. There isn’t a “master race kill everything build”. I started with Alcast’s Stamplar suggestions, but changed them considerably and I can always try new stuff if I want. There isn’t a “get this and mash buttons to deal maximum DPS”; you actually need to think about the pros and cons of what you”ll be wearing.
    The Eon Pokémon.
    Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taleth wrote: »
    All the nerf bat swings have really taken a toll on me. I used to love this game and it still has potential but it seems every time I make a build gear it out and start enjoying it; then bam a update comes and kills the gear sets and all the time and coin put into it. I am left back to drawing bord as a new carrot on a stick is introduced only to be nerfed in future. Games in past have done this to me and it makes it easy to jump ship when time comes but only to have them do same crap at some point. Is this just the life of mmos? Will there ever be a developer that makes surgical tweeks for balance insteat of a bludgeoning nerf bat?

I feel ur pain, i don't even run meta stuff and every change i manage to hold down - that setup then gets it in the knee next patch annoying.com
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The meta players are the ones who typically play the most, therefore they'll get bored if their sets aren't nerfed and they're forced to farm something new and upgrade it.

I can't remember an MMO (that I've played anyway) that didn't always do sweeping nerfs. I think the office must have a Jenga block for each class and they all take turns and the one that falls first is the one to get the hardest nerfs.
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
    Options
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main problem with eso is that they have this champ system and they want to keep power of the players at the same level despite the cp creeping up. I have no idea why they get this as a goal, but this is what they are doing and this is what annoys the most of the hardcore players. Especially keeping in mind eso nasty habit to make a long grind for the equipment and hide them behind the BOP, trials, PVP only (spell strategist anyone?) etc. I don't remember any other mmo who on purpose make players weaker to enforce them to get the new stuff all over again and again.

They are actually lucky that there is no other MMO with comparable graphics in the same setting (there are several in scifi and survival, but nothing in fantasy. I am not counting chinese *** like BDO or archeage - their graphics is closer to cartoon-ish).
    As soon as Blizzards or someone will make similar graphics in fantasy setting - this game will lose 80% of the players. But of course it will depends on how bad that other game will be messed up. There are no ideal mmos - they all have been messed up to some degree. It just a question what will be less annoying for the player. :)

But for now - welcome to Elder Slow Nerfmire :)

-vovus
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
    Options
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The newest set I run on my main is now a year old. Full disclosure: my main is a tank.
    Options
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't despair at the changes in the game. The people who cry the most are the ones who run setups, particularly certain sets, which are obviously unbalanced at release, then throw a tantrum when they're brought back in line with the others. My solution is simple: I don't run those kind of sets. For example I never bothered crafting Sload's. Instead I run sets that give constantly high stats, which are useful for the type of content. For example if you combo 2 out of 3: Burning Spellweave, Law of Julianos, Mother's Sorrow (and even Infallible Mage if you're running solo or in less optimized groups) with a monster set of your choice on a PvE magicka DD you're probably within 2-3% of the maximum DPS output you could be doing as long as you're doing the rotation and the mechanics properly. Similarly in PvP, if you run a sustain set, a mitigation and/or damage one and a monster set you're quite effective if you know what you're doing. Slap something like 5 Bone Pirate 5 Veiled Heritance 2 Bloodspawn on a stamina char and you'll be set to go. When it comes to class skills, or broader changes, people will learn and adapt. If they fail to adapt it means they're too attached to a certain play style - often a skill-less one like pet sorc in PvE or brainless rune prison sorc in PvP - and they are unable to think of and learn something more effective. Good players will always find a way. bad ones who just copy what they hear it's META and don't put effort into understanding how builds work, won't.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Options
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NO MORE NERFS
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tactx wrote: »
    The meta players are the ones who typically play the most, therefore they'll get bored if their sets aren't nerfed and they're forced to farm something new and upgrade it.

I can't remember an MMO (that I've played anyway) that didn't always do sweeping nerfs. I think the office must have a Jenga block for each class and they all take turns and the one that falls first is the one to get the hardest nerfs.
    Many MMO like WOW does it different, they update item levels regularly instead, this can also include relative nerfs as stuff on next level is not that much better but another class get much better gear.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why is this double posted?
    Options
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we go again !
    Options
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With ESO+ sub, I have my bank full of some duplicate motifs but the rest is all golded gear that now is completely useless.

I purchased every "wooden coffer" that can be obtained off the writs vendors and those coffers, too, are full of now useless golded gear and weapons.

Since in the past it used to be impossible to transmute stuff, I even have golded sets and weapons that are duplicates except for the trait. I think I have 8-9 Julianos staves!

ESO is truly a disaster in this.
    Options
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    With ESO+ sub, I have my bank full of some duplicate motifs but the rest is all golded gear that now is completely useless.

I purchased every "wooden coffer" that can be obtained off the writs vendors and those coffers, too, are full of now useless golded gear and weapons.

Since in the past it used to be impossible to transmute stuff, I even have golded sets and weapons that are duplicates except for the trait. I think I have 8-9 Julianos staves!

Not useless deconstruct
    Options
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

I feel ur pain, i don't even run meta stuff and every change i manage to hold down - that setup then gets it in the knee next patch annoying.com

Seriously, I also run a non-meta build and it has endured through so many of the changes, the nerfs, even getting buffed at some times with everything going to crap. I don't like following meta due to time investment vs risk of loss for that specific set and use. It isn't fun for me when I invest tons of gold and time into getting a build set up and get to use for two weeks or two days... then nerfed to oblivion by 40-60%. I'm looking at you, Swift. So grateful I didn't invest personally into you while it lasted.
    Options
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I don't despair at the changes in the game. The people who cry the most are the ones who run setups, particularly certain sets, which are obviously unbalanced at release, then throw a tantrum when they're brought back in line with the others. My solution is simple: I don't run those kind of sets. For example I never bothered crafting Sload's. Instead I run sets that give constantly high stats, which are useful for the type of content. For example if you combo 2 out of 3: Burning Spellweave, Law of Julianos, Mother's Sorrow (and even Infallible Mage if you're running solo or in less optimized groups) with a monster set of your choice on a PvE magicka DD you're probably within 2-3% of the maximum DPS output you could be doing as long as you're doing the rotation and the mechanics properly. Similarly in PvP, if you run a sustain set, a mitigation and/or damage one and a monster set you're quite effective if you know what you're doing. Slap something like 5 Bone Pirate 5 Veiled Heritance 2 Bloodspawn on a stamina char and you'll be set to go. When it comes to class skills, or broader changes, people will learn and adapt. If they fail to adapt it means they're too attached to a certain play style - often a skill-less one like pet sorc in PvE or brainless rune prison sorc in PvP - and they are unable to think of and learn something more effective. Good players will always find a way. bad ones who just copy what they hear it's META and don't put effort into understanding how builds work, won't.

I don’t think the majority of complainers care a thing about changing old sets. Heck, half the fun left in this game is trying out new sets and combinations. I think that most of the complaints stem from such heavy-handed changes all at once, forcing people to change entire play styles, or be left behind. And even that wouldn’t be so bad if everyone had to adapt in this manner. However, it seems that, especially with the latest changes, most magicka builds are being forced to make changes that will put them even further behind stam builds, and they weren’t meta to begin with.
    Options
  • KingMagaw
    KingMagaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS will continue to make wide sweeping changes because of 2 main reasons i see:

They are trying to balance PvE and PvP at the same time, cannot work.

They have run out of content. Why create new content, when you can drastically change the current and have sheep farm, farm and farm just to keep up with incompetent changes.
    Options
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking about the Torugs Pact enchant proc build?
    Adjustments are needed, or you'll end up with a game that all players are using only your "working" build.

The current balance trend however does not make me happy by any mean. My problem with it is that it greatly facilitates the numbers.

We need solo/duo builds out there that are able to counter-sustain groups but at the same time to have a penalty when playing grouped.

An idea would be to bring really strong sets in the game that would give strong self heals and damage but on the other hand would inhibit the synergies or heals from other players or even a debuff when healed by others.

We need more options to PVP. If grouping is the only option left then PVP-ing will be boring, very boring.

Also before implementing my gear idea please make sure you get rid of invisibility, I know its complicated, but whose idea was to bring invisibility in PVP area?
    Options
  • tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    tactx wrote: »

Many MMO like WOW does it different, they update item levels regularly instead, this can also include relative nerfs as stuff on next level is not that much better but another class get much better gear.

I remember them nerfing the crap out of my Gnome Necromancer so badly (vanilla). I ended up switching to Rogue.
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
    Options
  • Concret
    Concret
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, whithin the last year people only had their DPS increased from 50k ST to 80k+
    Stop nerf, we want sub 10min trials clears !
    Options
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the worst part of this game, having to constantly rebuild and pretty much relearn how to play every time the massive ZO$ style nerf hammers fall.
    Its tiring and frustrating and i very nearly quit for good this time with it, after a few weeks hiatus i came back and have just finished spending about 500k on new build designs and spent the last few days testing stuff and im still not comfortable.

Please ZOS keep DLC and balance patches separate and as the OP said - be more surgical.
    Perhaps listen to the feedback as well, Lots of players and the class reps put an awful lot of effort into those feedback threads.

( Right now i should be enjoying the new zone, thats what the DLC should be. Not this )
    Edited by Starlight_Knight on November 6, 2018 6:57PM
    Options
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the biggest issues are these:

They don't have people in the studio (or very many of them - I know they have a few) that play the game on the level of some of the hard core players that know the game like the back of their hand. So they rely on feedback - which is a good thing at least if they don't have the former.

BUT - I wouldn't let a guy operate on me just because a Dr. explained a procedure to them. Obviously this isn't as important as surgery, but you get the same miscommunications and missteps in trying to understand and work off pieces of info and not experience. That's assuming you are getting your info from a reliable source - as we see from the forums, opinions are all over the place and even the reps sometimes aren't on the money. Or even people we look to for info like streamers or people from top end raid guilds don't really experience what the game is like for the general player. (Anyone that has run a dungeon or trial with a polished group vs a group of even decent players can tell you the huge difference in difficulty of that content and managing your role).

The other problem is they refuse to make small tweaks most of the time like they first talked about years ago. It would be way easier to tweak something a little % here or there in small patches as time goes by and see how it plays out than just bam - giant nerf or buff on big patch with 100 other big nerfs and buffs. (And the more experience someone had with the game, the easier it would be for them to know which things to tweak in a short period of time). They did do this recently with something and I hope to see more tiny changes like that instead of sweeping changes every major patch.

And the last thing is with their "always worry about what new stuff we can add to make money" mentality might be good for short term business, but bad for long term game health. Looking at old useless sets and making them useful, even if in a niche scenerio, would be great for the game even if it doesn't make people buy the new shiny DLC. Same with looking back at old sets they nerfed and then nerfed something else b/c that didn't work, which double killed the set (looking at you Black Rose, with nerf to it's ability, then nerf next patch to the ability it buffed and never doing anything with the old armor set).

As a vet player always looking for something to do, I do not want to farm a new build because they killed an existing one. I want to do it because there is a new interesting set that could be stronger, or even if equal works better for me in a different way. Nothing irritates me more than breaking down good gold gear because they couldn't figure out how to balance something and just killed a set. (Or holding it for years using up inventory hoping they will come to their senses).
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
    Options
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be well built like you but then I then I took a nerf to the knee.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
    Options
  • taleth
    taleth
    ✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

Are you talking about the Torugs Pact enchant proc build?
    Adjustments are needed, or you'll end up with a game that all players are using only your "working" build.

The current balance trend however does not make me happy by any mean. My problem with it is that it greatly facilitates the numbers.

We need solo/duo builds out there that are able to counter-sustain groups but at the same time to have a penalty when playing grouped.

An idea would be to bring really strong sets in the game that would give strong self heals and damage but on the other hand would inhibit the synergies or heals from other players or even a debuff when healed by others.

We need more options to PVP. If grouping is the only option left then PVP-ing will be boring, very boring.

Also before implementing my gear idea please make sure you get rid of invisibility, I know its complicated, but whose idea was to bring invisibility in PVP area?

No not talkin about torugs enchant thing more of things like killing unique builds by changing skill functionality like my melle mageblade or overload gank sorc etc. Yea overload gank hit hard but when overload was down I was a gimp sorc. Or the ability to soft stun a enemy with my old mageblade skill that knowone really used but got changed to some dumb heal that kills ya. It seems all builds lost diverity in classes and are pigeonholed into certain template playstyles. Certain gear made those playstyles work and now are junk so we are left with 5% usable sets out of the 95 junk sets.
    Options
  • taleth
    taleth
    ✭✭✭
    Why use telvar to get any of them sets or fragments for that matter. Why get any overland set except for necro, legion, sprigg or spinner. Dungeon sets same probly only 20% desireable. Always adding new sets nevery truly improving old sets to boost a desire to pve. Maybe add sets that boost certain class skills. Set that halfs time on snipe or boost concealed weapon by 50% or gives true unpopable invisablity.
    Options
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Every year has tons of nerfs..
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Julianos can just be recrafted. Why so many is it shock, fire and resto?
    On the other hand Julianos is progression gear or secondary set on a healer. Crafted sets is trivial to fit between other sets.
    Edited by zaria on November 6, 2018 9:31PM
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No

On the other hand Julianos is progression gear or secondary set on a healer. Crafted sets is trivial to fit between other sets.

64 to 72 Rosin. Even on PC, that's gotta be a good bit of gold.
    Edited by EvilAutoTech on November 6, 2018 9:37PM
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why use telvar to get any of them sets or fragments for that matter. Why get any overland set except for necro, legion, sprigg or spinner. Dungeon sets same probly only 20% desireable. Always adding new sets nevery truly improving old sets to boost a desire to pve. Maybe add sets that boost certain class skills. Set that halfs time on snipe or boost concealed weapon by 50% or gives true unpopable invisablity.
    Crafting sets who give improved chance for gold tempers as reward for the worthy.
    Sets who make it easier to detect sneaking enemies , obviously an trial set.
    Not so sure about class sets.

Vicious Serpent is perfect for easy content and huge trash groups, useless on long boss fights with few adds, obviously an trial set.
    Honorable mention to night silence, had an version with magic enchants for magsorc and templar to do TG and DB questline,
    Options
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nerfs are just reversed buffs.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No

64 to 72 Rosin. Even on PC, that's gotta be a good bit of gold.
    Yes, it is, however Julianos has never been nerfed as I know, its has just been bypassed by other sets.
    And yes I know the issue, have the bank and alts full with stuff, just did one purge.
    Options