The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why can I not access game after latest Update today 22 October

• MetroGamer
    MetroGamer
    Soul Shriven
    MetroGamer wrote: »
    Bought this game on Steam over a year ago, had many problems to get it running due to Steam deploying a faulty launcher (missing "Bethesda.net_Launcher_Mac.version").
    Now that I have been playing this game for over a year now, most of the time as a subscriber, I am now confronted with a non-compatibility problem – without any warning. Should I read the System requirements each time I start a game that I have been playing? Seems to be so.
    Maybe Bethesda/ZOS should change them inside the Steam shop, too.

Launcher updated everything but won't start the game, without any warning. Thank you!

You seem to have a Metal friendly graphics card so would it be possible to try upgrading to Mojave through the macOS Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs?

I always recommend backing up your files and doing a clean install whenever doing an OS upgrade if you decide to take that route.

Thank you for providing this useful link!
    You're right, my GPU seems to be Metal compatible and I have flashed my Mac to version 5,1 already in preparation to upgrade my OS.
    MacPro 4,1 (Early 2009) • OSX 10.10.5 • Dual Quad-Core 2,26 GHz • 12GB • EVGA GeForce GTX760 2GB
  • khoukharev
    khoukharev
    Soul Shriven
    Evilspock wrote: »
    Point is it was already working, and opengl still works in mohave. There was no eminent need to drop it so abruptly with a botched new client. Opengl isn’t going to be dropped within the next month, more like a year.

ZOS has already made it clear they don't want to support 2 render paths for a client. When they went to dx11 for windows they got rid of all other rendering back ends including OpenGL. For each patch they probably have to hack together specific fixes for each render path which means maintaining two separate code bases and having to test and fix patches against both code bases. It adds overhead and takes developer resources.

Small patches can potentially break either code base and it wouldn't be smart to release a broken client without the intentions to fix it, the opengl renderer, as it would generate worse publicity than even what's happening now.

This is actually true. But it is different from the BS Bethesda/ZOS are trying to make us believe. It is not the case that it's no longer possible to provide compatibility to older Macs that use OpenGL. Actually, it is very much possible. They simply don't want to. I can see them saying "You don't like it? Ok, bite me!"
    Now they would only keep one render path. But it is not Apple decision, it is their own decision and they have to own it.