The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do you bypass Steam to get in?

Cuwen
Cuwen
✭✭✭
I know how to get to the launcher without Steam, but how do you log in without Steam? I try and it says it's incorrect but I've tried in on the ESO website here just fine via my account. Some people are saying they're on the servers fine right now by bypassing Steam.
  • SixVoltCar
    SixVoltCar
    ✭✭✭
    They're not.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im beta player so i have a normal account (doesnt rely on steam) and afterwards also bought the steam version. to log in my account im using the usual way without steam with the normal log in i used back then. cant tell u if it would work now for u since im not on american servers
    Edited by Noctus on November 4, 2018 5:10AM
  • Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    I was doing PvP in a big group, and the users without Steam are still on. Lagging, yes, but still online. Steam users aren't. So I was trying to bypass Steam.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have an ESO account made through Steam, you have to redeem an ESO key on your ESO account page. Standard Edition is just fine. That'll give you access to the regular launcher.

Last time Steam was acting up, people were more than happy to throw down the $10 on an ESO key to get out from under Steam.
    PC-NA Goat
  • cheops
    cheops
    ✭✭✭
    You need to buy the base game from eso store to do what you want. There is no 'key' involved as the purchase is automatically attached to your eso account. People with older accounts logging in via steam don't need to do this.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People savvy enough to never buy a game like this via Steam don't have Steam issues.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam users who linked their ESO account to Steam before December 2016 are able to bypass the Steam login, those who linked their accounts after that time cannot.
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cheops wrote: »
    You need to buy the base game from eso store to do what you want. There is no 'key' involved as the purchase is automatically attached to your eso account. People with older accounts logging in via steam don't need to do this.

Yes, you can get a game key from a third party retailer.

Works just as good as buying it from the ESO Store. I had at least a dozen friends do exactly that the last time Steam logins were screwed up.
    PC-NA Goat
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible only if you have bought the game with ESO official site and THEN linked it to Steam.
    If you bought game with Steam only - you can not.
  • cheops
    cheops
    ✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    It is possible only if you have bought the game with ESO official site and THEN linked it to Steam.
    If you bought game with Steam only - you can not.

lol - why link it to steam at all.....

If you originally bought via steam and launched from steam then your eso account is flagged as 'steam user' but thats only to enable the (problematic) launching and autologon from the steam client. If you buy a version of the game which includes the base game from any other source (as pointed out by Phage) then this will free you from any steam dependancy to launch the game. You can move the game folder out of your steamapps folder to another location if you like. Updates are handled by the native bethesda launcher.