The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Master crafer .. great, but now what?

preevious
preevious
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello, crafting community !

I was thinking about us crafters, and I thought...
A dedicated crafter will have all traits learned on every crafts .. it's really not so difficult, it just takes time to learn the traits, and a bit of money to buy the pieces to study.
A truly dedicated crafter will try to get every style completed, wich take either a long time or a lot of gold ..(and a bit of crown, as we have 3 crowns exclusives).

So far, so good .. but what, now?
How do we keep crafters on their toes? How do we give them something new to strive for?
I mean, every update brings its lot new dungeons / mechanics while the craft remain largely unchanged..

A few solutions :

Adding styles : that's the solution currently used. From time to time, a new style is implemented. The problem being that a style is quick to obtain, and now, there are so many styles that they largely look like each other.
Adding a new trait : Would change things a bit, but while the trait system is great, the mechanic to learn them is boring .. it would not make being a crafter exciting again. Beside, a majority of traits goes unused.
Items to unlock colors and / or textures : that would be great, but only if it allows the crafter to use them to craft for other people. Also, it seems difficult to implement.

I wonder if there would be any solution to make crafters begin again
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One thing ZOS could do is actually make Jewelry crafting fun. I rarely do any JC on my characters because it’s difficult to get a good stockpile of improvement mats, and I’m scared to use the mats unless I’m absolutely sure it’s a item I really need. They are too valuable to experiment with. Also, I have never done a JC Master Crafting writ because of the same reason, the value of the improvement/trait mats far outweigh the writs you get in return.

I would still like to see Spellcrafting someday, but I know it would take a lot of work to do it correctly and prevent too many balance changes. The preview that was shown at Quakecon 2014 by Nick Konkle looked awesome. Finding pieces or complete spell tablets and being to combine the magicka learned to create new spells. And it would give purpose again to Eyevea, that underused piece of rock that everyone forgets about after doing the Mages Guild questline.

The main problem with Spellcrafting is that it didn’t look grindy enough. That’s something that ZOS would never allow :)
    Edited by Ashtaris on October 27, 2018 5:23PM
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish they would make the craftable sets at least decent. -- i have spent hundreds of hours and tens of millions of gold and yes, crowns also, to learn every single style --- yet i rarely get asked to make anything other than training armor for people leveling new characters.

• Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about you, but for me its furniture crafting.I still have some older patterns I haven't collected yet, and we just had several dozen new ones added
    Edited by Linaleah on October 29, 2018 9:25PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Purchasing all the furniture patterns will cost a zillion gold; the motifs are pocket change in comparison - so that's certainly a long term goal.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally I decided to become a master crafter to be of service to the community. To me, that meant not just being nine trait, but also knowing every single style in the game so I could make their gear in the desired aesthetic. At the time, crafted gear was the only way to control your aesthetics. It's definitely why I always ran one crafted set on all of my characters back then.

When the outfit system was announced, I was hoping I could create outfits for other players to extend this service idea. That isn't however, how the system was designed. My style knowledge is useless for anyone other than myself. I'm not sure why I bother working to know them all, other than the fact that someday I might create a character who benefits from a particular aesthetic.

So that's something that could change - let crafters provide a more meaningful service to the player base again. I don't know exactly what that might look like, but being able to tailor outfits for other players would be very neat.
  • WolfStar07
    WolfStar07
    ✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    When the outfit system was announced, I was hoping I could create outfits for other players to extend this service idea. That isn't however, how the system was designed. My style knowledge is useless for anyone other than myself. I'm not sure why I bother working to know them all, other than the fact that someday I might create a character who benefits from a particular aesthetic.

I don't see how. A player still has to know the particular style in order to change their outfit in the first place. And seeing some of the prices for various outfit style pieces, it can definitely be cheaper to just craft the item in the first place. You'd just miss out on the appearance of light armor while retaining the benefit of heavy armor.