Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Problem

• JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7cGAxg3.png

Pre-Murkmire, I ran on Ultra High with no fps issues at all. Now, I'm getting about 2 fps in alinor and MAYBE 10 out in the wilderness. I know this is not an issue with my computer, so don't even try that.
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had to lower my $1200 100hz G-Sync monitor to 75hz (GTX1080) and it seems to have helped whilke on medium settings lol... although i still cant seem to hit all my light attacks on a parse and at times my characters still freezes at times for 4ish seconds then unloads all the stored damage all at once lol... but that's nothing new either... I have a DL speed of over 300mbs and single digit ping. Oh and this is in PvE, PvP is another story...

All other games i can play in 4k 100hz no problem.
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    Here you go, my wife also has the same issues and the same hardware.

Mojave 10.14
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac18,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 4.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 24 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM183.0161.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.41f1

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
    Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 24 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
    Edited by Montie on October 29, 2018 10:58PM
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Out of curiosity is anyone having this issue on a clean Mojave install? As in wiped the drive and installed from scratch instead of doing a patcher upgrade? Probably not relevant but worth a shot to get the devs some more info.
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity is anyone having this issue on a clean Mojave install? As in wiped the drive and installed from scratch instead of doing a patcher upgrade? Probably not relevant but worth a shot to get the devs some more info.

The game ran fine on Mojave before the Murkmire patch.
  • Wookyenub18_ESO
    9 FPS in Mournhold and fluctuates around that outside in Dashaan vs 35+ before Murkmire. Haven't seen FPS like this since Beta on an iMac 2010.

Have kept settings on High. Character lurches around and occasionally stops for 3 seconds. Seems like server side is good because can gallop at high speed. I can generally time attacks so they hit. But it's tiring to play Elder Slideshow Online so have limited my play and stay out of PvP and Dungeons.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (have NOT upgraded to Mojave)
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015) 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB VRAM
  • dm_critic
    dm_critic
    ✭✭
    67ro9fer35ue.png

I'm getting usually around 9-17 fps in towns. I set up bootcamp with Windows 10 on an external drive and loaded Steam/ESO. I'm getting 40+ fps on the same hardware in Windows even in crowded cities like Rawl'kha. On ultra-high quality I'm still seeing around 35 fps.

Like most other people here, I was getting significantly better performance on Mojave pre-Murkmire, basically equivalent to what I'm seeing on Windows 10 now. Currently Battlegrounds is barely usable for me even with dropping my graphics settings as low as possible.

I'm seriously hoping whatever fix drops isn't just some incremental band-aid that bumps performance by 5-10 fps. You've got nearly a year before Apple drops support for OpenGL and this really needs to be rolled back until it's properly tested and optimized.
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    dm_critic wrote: »
    67ro9fer35ue.png

I'm getting usually around 9-17 fps in towns. I set up bootcamp with Windows 10 on an external drive and loaded Steam/ESO. I'm getting 40+ fps on the same hardware in Windows even in crowded cities like Rawl'kha. On ultra-high quality I'm still seeing around 35 fps.

Like most other people here, I was getting significantly better performance on Mojave pre-Murkmire, basically equivalent to what I'm seeing on Windows 10 now. Currently Battlegrounds is barely usable for me even with dropping my graphics settings as low as possible.

I'm seriously hoping whatever fix drops isn't just some incremental band-aid that bumps performance by 5-10 fps. You've got nearly a year before Apple drops support for OpenGL and this really needs to be rolled back until it's properly tested and optimized.

Thanks for the fix. So...

- allocate 172GB of my SSD to Bootcamp
    - pay Microsoft $200 for a Windows 10 license
    - install PC client
    - install minion
    - move my addons and settting
    - install discord
    - install team speak
    - install mouse/controller software
    - update Windows 10000000000 times
    - move key and mouse bindings files.
    - shutdown my perfectly good OS that can do so many other things on the other 3 cores while I play the game so I can boot a shite OS so I can do one thing

ZOS, problem solved. Thanks so much for wasting my time and money. You can fire the developer, testing and marketing team that came up with the monstrosity that you launched last week; m'kay?

P.S.The game requires DX12 so don't bother with VMware fusion or other hypervisors.
    Edited by Jeth on October 30, 2018 5:05AM
    -Jeth
  • Earthtourist
    Earthtourist
    ✭✭✭
    5vcoyh2a33zg.png
    Study finds that hearing an opposing viewpoint causes no real harm.
  • Emrani
    Emrani
    e9je0jvurbhh.png
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    I think every Mac is affected by this problem.
  • dustgollum
    dustgollum
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks everyone. As Gina mentioned earlier in this thread, we are aware of this issue and working on some improvements to Mac performance that will go out in an upcoming incremental patch. In the meantime, if you have not yet done so could you please reply to this thread with your "About This Mac" info?

Thank you!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac15,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 32 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM151.0217.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.22f16
    MD Radeon R9 M290X:
    Graphics:
    Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M290X
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 2048 MB
    Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6810
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C408A0-730
    VBIOS Version: 113-C408A0-017
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.730
    Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
    Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina
    Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. As Gina mentioned earlier in this thread, we are aware of this issue and working on some improvements to Mac performance that will go out in an upcoming incremental patch. In the meantime, if you have not yet done so could you please reply to this thread with your "About This Mac" info?

Thank you!

Hi Jessica. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Can I provide some feedback, which I hope will be taken as constructive? When you and Gina engage with us on issues like this, the problems do not seem so bad! Just knowing that the problem is acknowledged is often enough to keep players like me from getting overly frustrated.

It would be great, however, if we could have a bit more engagement - and a bit more information if at all possible. It sounds like every Mac player is affected. Maybe that isn't enough people for this to be considered an "urgent problem", I don't know..... but to us individually it is because our gaming experiences are significantly worse than they were, and right now we have no idea how you guys see the problem, or when we're likely to see a resolution (if at all).

So, all I am asking - as a paying customer several times over and more importantly, as a serious ESO advocate - please give us bit more?
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    pb4qe84zguyg.png
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    Customer service recommended I try to remove add-ons, minion and redundant host developer files. This did not improve the frame rate for me, in case anyone was considering the same solution...

At least this person actually read the ticket and tried to help. Took a week to get to that point, but hey... I'll take what I can get.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)
  • Deserttiger
    Deserttiger
    ✭✭
    Seems to me they should just be telling people what the real problem is instead of having people do all this extra work for nothing. I’ve pretty much just stopped playing. Subscription cancellation is next.
  • Garamore
    Garamore
    Soul Shriven
    Tried all the suggestions and no change. Down to 4-5 fps in trials and dungeons. Really need to roll back as its unplayable as is. Should also provide a refund for eso plus for the duration that takes.
  • Shomar133
    Shomar133
    Soul Shriven
    l70qi2rrbdbk.png
  • Grimsinger
    Grimsinger
    ✭✭
    k53kwrvecem1.png

Same. :(
  • elgirth
    elgirth
    I am really a huge fan of this beautiful game but this is just downright wrong and unacceptable. Game was running impeccably prior to the Murkmire update and now it is pretty much unplayable. FPS is pretty much permanently shifting between 0-20 at all times everywhere in the game. Nothing I do fixes the issue, even running all settings at low. I previously ran everything at max pretty much and it was just buttery smooth always. I have never experienced anything like this in my 30 year gaming history so it's unfortunate to say the least. There needs to be some sort of compensation for the many of us who cannot freeze our ESO Plus accounts and are stuck paying for a game that is pretty much unplayable in it's current condition. I find it pretty unfair and ridiculous to all the dedicated paying customers that they would actually release something like this. I hope they are working hard to resolve these issues.

air69d8ogx8e.png
  • Thrawn75
    Thrawn75
    ✭✭
    OMG! Was busy for a month and finally went back to the game to find it utterly unplayable!
    What have you done guys? This was a real gem and the latest patches have [snip] it up in bad ways.
    Please fix this asap or provide a refund.

[snip]

[Edited to remove picture at OP request]
    Edited by ZOS_Bill on October 31, 2018 11:20AM
  • Thrawn75
    Thrawn75
    ✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    They changed the renderer (from patch notes):

We have switched the Mac renderer from OpenGL to MoltenVK (Metal) to support the upcoming release of the upcoming MacOS Mojave.

So either Metal is garbage, the ZOS devs used it poorly, or the current MacOS implementation of it is garbage.

This doesn't bode well for another game (simulator actually) I greatly enjoy that has been working on converting from OpenGL to Vulkan for a while now. I'm not aware of the differences and similarities between Vulkan and Metal and how they are implemented. Perhaps Metal is just really awful. Too early to say, and this isn't the forum to find that out on.

So this is the reason - I noticed so much difference in performance that assumed some fundamental change was introduced.
    Now, why in hell did they release such a change without proper testing?? It's mind-blowing that they have just release this pile of *** - please fire whoever is happy with this patch being released. Now I'm waiting for the rollback or fix or a direct download patch so we can get back to the game. THANKS!

• Puodas
    Puodas
    ✭✭
    For now, I’m using GeForce NOW service to play this game. Sine I have beta access. Sadly I can’t add addons there, but atlest I can play...
  • HowTaoBrownCow
    HowTaoBrownCow
    ✭✭✭
    Puodas wrote: »
    For now, I’m using GeForce NOW service to play this game. Sine I have beta access. Sadly I can’t add addons there, but atlest I can play...

I did not know that GeForce NOW was a thing that existed. I dual boot into Windows for some games, but I'm bookmarking that for future use, thanks!
    Censored
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, got the same problem, but it seems like I am the only one here so far to use an eGPU.... Thus, here the info:

macOS Mojave
    Version 10.14.1 Beta (18B73a)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
    Processor 2,7 GHz intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
    Startup Disk MacintoshHD
    Graphics Radeon RX 570 4096 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

So yeah, the eGPU is affected, too. Btw, that is a Sonnet Puck eGPU, one of the officially supported ones.

I really hope you guys find a quick solution for that.

C.
    Edited by Carmina on October 31, 2018 6:04PM
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carmina wrote: »
    Hey, got the same problem, but it seems like I am the only one here so far to use an eGPU.... Thus, here the info:

macOS Mojave
    Version 10.14.1 Beta (18B73a)

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
    Processor 2,7 GHz intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
    Startup Disk MacintoshHD
    Graphics Radeon RX 570 4096 MB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

So yeah, the eGPU is affected, too. Btw, that is a Sonnet Puck eGPU, one of the officially supported ones.

I really hope you guys find a quick solution for that.

C.
    @Carmina - prior to this, how was your experience with the eGPU and ESO?
  • Puodas
    Puodas
    ✭✭
    Puodas wrote: »

I did not know that GeForce NOW was a thing that existed. I dual boot into Windows for some games, but I'm bookmarking that for future use, thanks!

Well it is not perfect, as I mentioned before that I can't add addons :( Also I've noticed in cities with high end GPU they use (TI) FPS is still max 30 which is kind a weird.
    Apart from that, you need to have good internet speed ~50mpbs stable, but that is not a problem for me since I have 1gbps.
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose there is any update on the status of a fix for this? What about compensation for ESO+ subscribers who have payed for a service that they have not been able to use on Macs for the past 9 days?

Thanks in advance.
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose there is any update on the status of a fix for this? What about compensation for ESO+ subscribers who have payed for a service that they have not been able to use on Macs for the past 9 days?

Thanks in advance.

LOL!

Edit: I posted and asked for answers. You are asking for them to fork over cash because of their incompetence and/or neglect. Care to place odds on which happens first or ever??? If it was possible I'd bet the over on ∞.
    Edited by Jeth on November 1, 2018 3:36AM
    -Jeth
  • Alaf
    Alaf
    ✭✭
    Since the release the last update (10/22), I'm having some fps issues (other members of my guild are also experiencing that), they are a lot lower than before. Especially in trials. I've been playing this game for 3 years and I never have this problem before. I don't have this issue in other games (new games), I already have done everything suggested in forums, like erase all addons, update my GPU drivers, repair the game, etc.

):