Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can no longer play in windowed fullscreen.

Montie
Montie
✭✭✭
The recent patch still has not fixed all the fps issues with your latest Mac changes. But now I can no longer play in a a maximized fullscreen window. If I switch it over to full screen instead, then it never lets go of the keyboard if I need to do something in another app on another screen and God help me if I try to switch to another app because then my only recourse is to forcefully restart my system.
  • Gaelord_the_2nd
    I experience the exact same problem. The little "expand" icon in the top left corner is not there anymore. And as is described above playing in fullscreen isn't an option because you can't get out of it and because it messes up the graphics of the game.
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here... the option is not available anymore... :( btw... if you press command +m you only expand the window but not enter into fullscreen mode.

ek8nu5hz2c6b.jpg
    Edited by Delpi on October 29, 2018 3:53PM
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • lolmer
    lolmer
    ✭✭
    Same, after the patch 4.2.6 https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/443312/pc-mac-patch-notes-v4-2-6#latest I also can no longer maximize my window on OS X Mojave on two different MacBook Pros (one 2015 15" and one 2017 15") in Windows Fullscreen mode (nor Windowed). Fullscreen mode fills the whole screen, but then I cannot CMD+TAB (ALT+TAB ;) ).
  • Atlan_daGonozal
    Atlan_daGonozal
    ✭✭✭
    Neither fullscreen options work here any more. What a pain!
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Yep just upgraded my MBP and noticed the same problem. Also the visuals seem to be all out as well.
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.
  • Hal_Moore
    Hal_Moore
    ✭✭✭
    Same. I can only minimize it and can no longer split screen. I can only access windowed fullscreen using the window options or CMD+F unless i go into gameplay settings in game and select Fullscreen instead of windowed.
  • tmexx
    tmexx
    Soul Shriven
    Same!
    Plus my system seems to be stuck in mouselook mode and spins uncontrollably. NOT PLAYABLE AT ALL.
    Please Help!
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭
    Same here as well. Fullscreen Windowed is no longer a selectable option - even when selected in settings it leaves the bar across the top at all times instead of rolling up.

The only way I have found to enter Fullscreen is by selecting it in the settings menu - this is much less desirable since it prevents me from interacting with programs running on my other screen.
  • Thrawn75
    Thrawn75
    ✭✭
    Yeah, hi the full-screen icon is now disabled? It worked like a charm before. I can't understand why something that works is changed to bad. Who took that decision, can explain it? Thanks.
  • Zicarius
    Zicarius
    ✭✭
    Same issue

Used to be able to do full screen windows, put it into full screen with the window options, then have multiple desktops (a mac thing) to be able to use 3 fingers to switch windows to view discord. Now I can not do that.

My options are full screen, but not be able to change desktops to see discord. If i want to access discord or another program I would either have to exit eso, or exit full screen. Which does not sound so bad, but it is annoying when I used to be able to use quick gestures to get to another plain desktop and then go back to full screen.

The other option would be never using full screen.

If that doesn't make sense Im happy to clarify. But is annoying now. Basically now I cant use full screen if I want to use discord chat, open a webpage or more.

GUILD LEADER OF MIRKWOOD FOREST!

Mirkwood Forest is a social guild that welcomes anyone regardless of level or experience! Find out more!

Mirkwood Forest's Recruitment Forum: Click here to visit our Recruitment Forum!
    Mirkwood Forest's Website: Click here to visit our website!
    Mirkwood Forest's Discord: Click here to join our Discord!
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭
    It would be nice if we could get some acknowledgement from ZOS that this is a problem - Not Working as Intended -

Seems that a missing feature that is provided as an option in their standard interface not working would deserve a response?
  • mike2751
    mike2751
    Soul Shriven
    When I enter the game I can get full screen mode in settings but this is not stored when I exit the game. So each time I launch the game I have to go to Settings and set the screen to 'fullscreen' from 'windowed(fullscreen)'. This has only happened since the last update. Other changes to settings are stored for future launches of the game. It cannot be beyond the wit of man to ensure that a choice of screen display is stored in the UserSettings.txt file as it was previously
  • Raijindono
    Raijindono
    ✭✭✭
    Has ZOS replied to this issue? It's really broken. If I toggle between fullscreen and window with CMD + M or CMD + F, then my mouse arrow/cursor sometimes gets locked in the middle of the reticle and is jumpy. The only way to fix it is to reload the UI.

I have a feeling us losing fullscreen-windowed mode is related to this bug fix:

RE: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/441713/pc-mac-patch-notes-v4-2-5
    Mac Game Client
    If you Alt+Tab while in full screen mode, the client will appear to lock up. Pressing Alt+Enter or Cmd+M will unfreeze the client.
  • Gaelord_the_2nd
    Any news on this issue? Or has it drowned in the sea of fps-complaints? For me this is a much bigger issue.
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭
    Well they say that if you don't like something then vote with your wallet - I am cancelling my ESO+ as of today.

I am likely to still play so if I see that the Mac client gets the attention that it is due then I may activate my ESO+ again.

I will miss the convenience of my + membership but if ZOS is unwilling to communicate their intentions and acknowledge the significant multiple issues that they introduced to the Mac client with their premature switch to Vulcan then I will learn to live without buying crowns or monthly subscription
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's "funny" is it was like the day after I unsubbed from WoW that ESO started going crazy on me. Perhaps a mistake but ESO is so much more my style...makes me sad...

edited to add: And when I quit the game, I get a "eso quit unexpectedly"
    Edited by Ostacia on November 16, 2018 1:20AM
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭
    Since the current graphical glitches happen in Fullscreen mode it is advisable to play in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode.

Any response from ZOS to update that this is a function that will be returning soon??

Anyone received help through an in game ticket response?
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to bump this issue back into the forum again. I appreciate the fixes from the latest patch and look forward to seeing what further improvements happen for the Mac client :)

I just wanted to report that the Fullscreen and the Windowed Fullscreen are not function as expected under Mojave with dual screens.
    1. The green and red buttons are not available (grayed out) in Windowed mode as they are in all other Mac apps.
    2. While the game is in Fullscreen Mode there are still significant issues while trying to interact with other apps running on the second screen. (the best option is to go into Windowed Mode since alt/tab is currently minimizing the ESO window)
    But again I appreciate the forward progress with some of our Issues
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome now if I am in full screen I have to reboot my MacBook Pro to quit the game. Quality right there
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭
    I want to raise this issue back up to the top of the forum again

This is in my top three complaints that have effected my enjoyment of the game since October Patch 2018.

Without the Windowed (fullscreen) mode I cannot immerse myself into the game and still be able to switch to Discord or Safari or Mail or Messages or Etc. Sometimes while playing in Fullscreen mode I forget and move the cursor offscreen to interact with another program only to find that I froze ESO - meaning that I have to Force Quit ESO from the dock on my second screen and start over. I have played Windowed (fullscreen) ever since I first found ESO and it is hard to remember to Command-M every time before clicking offscreen into another app.

Please would someone from ZOS acknowledge this issue with the Mac Client and let us know if there is a fix in the works.

This more than any of the other bugs introduced since Murkmire shows a lack of basic Mac Programming expertise.

While trying to implement a whole new renderer is obviously difficult - basic functions for any Mac App had better not be too much to expect from your programmers :/
  • Gaelord_the_2nd
    This problem is the singel biggest Mac bug atm imo. Sure, I experienced all the others (although, to be fair, the FPS problem seem solved, at least to me). But the fact that I cannot play in windowed fullscreen is the thing that kept me from playing every day and spending money in-game like I used to do. I now play once, maybe twice a week mostly to keep my place in my various guilds. I also haven’t spent a single dollar on the game since this problem arose. I’m holding off on buying the next chapter as well. It completely destroys immersion to have that gray bar on top of the game all the time and the fact that I can’t switch between the game and, for instance, a chat window also kills it for me.

How hard can it be to fix this? Is this really related to the new renderer? And why is no one trying to, at the very least, keep us informed on what’s happening?
    Edited by Gaelord_the_2nd on January 28, 2019 4:29PM
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭
    Attention Please: ZOS @ZOS_SarahHecker , @ZOS_AlexTardif and @ZOS_GinaBruno

Could one of you please comment as to whether this is an issue that is or will be addressed in an upcoming patch??

I am sure that you are not getting as many tickets or complaints about this issue as compared to FPS or Crashing but I can assure you that if those two major Game Stopping bugs were not in play this would be a top Mac Client issue

3 Months is beyond anything reasonable to expect to fix an issue that has nothing to do with the game or graphics and is just a basic function of any MacOS Application
  • TeamAwesomee
    TeamAwesomee
    Soul Shriven
    tmexx wrote: »
    Same!
    Plus my system seems to be stuck in mouselook mode and spins uncontrollably. NOT PLAYABLE AT ALL.
    Please Help!

You can fix the mouse spin problem easily. Just go to system settings, then go to security and privacy (the little grey house next to spotlight) and then accessibility. If you completely remove ESO + Zenimax Online Studios Launcher and then re-add it, same thing on the blue map underneath (full disk acces). You should be fine after that and your mouse stops spinning uncontrollably! :)
  • Gaelord_the_2nd
    @ZOS_SarahHecker, @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_AlexTardif

Why dont you even mention THIS issue in the few responses to us Mac-players I’ve seen from you since Murkmire. For many of us not being able to play in windowed fullscreen is the biggest issue. I have no FPS drops and I’ve gotten used to the crash on exit thing, but this bug really destroys the game for me.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update here. We currently don't have a fix planned for this as other issues like crashes and FPS issues have taken priority. Right now you can play in either Windowed or Fullscreen mode.
    Staff Post
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answer but It's a dissapointment.
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭

I feel it is time to raise this issue again Over the last few patches I have had my Crashing to desktop fixed and my FPS have stabilized to the point where I can adventure out again. I feel we can expect incremental improvement going forward in regards to these troubling issues.

But that still leaves this Major issue with the Mac Client. Please help to put this back onto the radar for the programmers - Windowed Fullscreen is a basic client function that had always been available prior to the Murkmire

ZOS will you please update us as to whether this issue can now be addressed in an upcoming patch?
  • Zicarius
    Zicarius
    ✭✭
    Callah wrote: »

I feel it is time to raise this issue again Over the last few patches I have had my Crashing to desktop fixed and my FPS have stabilized to the point where I can adventure out again. I feel we can expect incremental improvement going forward in regards to these troubling issues.

But that still leaves this Major issue with the Mac Client. Please help to put this back onto the radar for the programmers - Windowed Fullscreen is a basic client function that had always been available prior to the Murkmire

ZOS will you please update us as to whether this issue can now be addressed in an upcoming patch?

Agreed I have not had any crashes or FPS issues for a while, but for what feels like 6 months now, I have been unable to play in full screen.

GUILD LEADER OF MIRKWOOD FOREST!

Mirkwood Forest is a social guild that welcomes anyone regardless of level or experience! Find out more!

Mirkwood Forest's Recruitment Forum: Click here to visit our Recruitment Forum!
    Mirkwood Forest's Website: Click here to visit our website!
    Mirkwood Forest's Discord: Click here to join our Discord!
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Same here - while FPS and graphical glitches in full-screen have been addressed, there are for me 2 major issues remaining:

1. Graphics quality is noticeably inferior in Full Screen rather than Windowed (maximised to fill the screen). Sadly the presence of the menubar really does break immersion and i don't enjoy having to minimise my Dock every time i play ESO just to enjoy the much higher graphics quality of windowed mode.

2. The game still crashes miserably when switching to another app mid-game; hitting alt-return or cmd-m does not do anything and i have to force-quit the app. This means that to use Discord or update add-ons with Minion for example I have shut down the game and then re-launch. Not great.

Also, when quitting the game will eventually quit after about 2 minutes, otherwise screen goes black and i have to force-quit if i need to get to desktop quicker... annoying.

Hopefully, there will be an update eventually to address this, unless i'm missing an easy fix in the mean time?
    Edited by Seedier on March 16, 2019 12:40PM
  • Callah
    Callah
    ✭✭
    Seedier wrote: »
    Same here - while FPS and graphical glitches in full-screen have been addressed, there are for me 2 major issues remaining:

1. Graphics quality is noticeably inferior in Full Screen rather than Windowed (maximised to fill the screen). Sadly the presence of the menubar really does break immersion and i don't enjoy having to minimise my Dock every time i play ESO just to enjoy the much higher graphics quality of windowed mode.

2. The game still crashes miserably when switching to another app mid-game; hitting alt-return or cmd-m does not do anything and i have to force-quit the app. This means that to use Discord or update add-ons with Minion for example I have shut down the game and then re-launch. Not great.

Also, when quitting the game will eventually quit after about 2 minutes, otherwise screen goes black and i have to force-quit if i need to get to desktop quicker... annoying.

Hopefully, there will be an update eventually to address this, unless i'm missing an easy fix in the mean time?

I think it is time for anyone who is still concerned about these issues to Turn in Tickets and to Post in this Thread:

We have seen slow progress on repairing the damage done to the Mac Client since Morrowind. I believe that it has only been through the noisy reaction of of this community that any actions by ZOS were taken. (regardless of the degraded gaming experience that they must have been aware of)

I am appreciative of ZOS's decision to move the client to Molten since it shows the long term commitment to supporting the Mac community playing ESO. (enough said on the role out and execution of that project) It is past time for ZOS to address the final couple of issues related to Gameplay and Immersion introduced nearly 6 months ago. Then they can return to the status quo of trying to promote some parity between Windows and Mac clients :p

I have decided Not to Buy Elsweyr unless ZOS decides to address this issue with the Mac client - I still have almost 3 months left on my ESO+ and with the current gaming performance I will have to decided when it expires if I will continue playing ESO or look elsewhere with my gaming time. I will be turning in tickets on a regular basis for the next couple months and following this thread to see if ZOS decides to finish their job.