The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Old Newbie needs advice

princessdawn982b14a_ESO
Hello I am wondering if someone can give me advice. I have been a player on eso since launch on ps4. I am a solo player and this was my 1st mmo. Basicly one of those elder scrolls fans that jumped in face first without knowing what I was really doing. My main character is cp 703. Nord templar welding a bow. Long story short is I have spent alot of hours playing. Have all quests done except the ones in craglorn and imperial city. I have made my attributes mostly balanced with the last extra one on stamina because of my bow. Ability bar I have puncturing sweep IV, focused aim, breath of life, ritual of retribution, arrow barrage, and solar disturbances. For gear I have twice born star and willows path. All heavy. But its gets irratating having to spend hours at a world boss for other people to come along and help take it down. Is there anything I can do with the character I have to be more effective soloing. Or do I need to start over? Thanks for any advice or tips.
-an old newbie
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi! For starters:
    • You should put almost all your attribute points either into magicka or stamina. A very small number should go into health, and 0 is a reasonable candidate for being that number.
    • To that point, there's no such thing as a good build that relies on bow damage and then heals with Breath of Life.
    • By the way -- if you play solo, Honor the Dead is a better choice than Breath of Life anyway.
    • Repentance IS a good heal for stamina characters, but only in the kinds of fights that leave a lot of bodies strewn around.
    • Heavy armor is a questionable choice if you want to do damage; medium armor goes better with stamina skills and light armor with magicka ones.
    • Almost every Templar should have a Rune Focus morph equipped.

I'm guessing that you'd be happier making the magicka choice than the stamina one, but that's just a guess. Elements of that would include:
    • A destruction staff in place of your bow.
    • A total either of two destruction staffs or one destruction and one restoration.
    • Puncturing Sweeps as a damage skill that also heals you, if the enemies insist on fighting you at close range.
    • Elemental Blockade as a wonderful damage skill.
    • Blazing Spear as a very nice damage skill.
    • Reflective Light, a Force Shock morph, or both among your damage skills.
    • All the heals you want to take, starting with Honor the Dead.
    • Channeled Focus.
    • Maybe Solar Barrage; it seems to finally have gotten good.
    • Armor sets like Julianos, Seducer's, Mother's Sorrow or Spinner's.
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like you are at the point when you became unhappy with your solo overland niche funny hybrid build

maybe it is a good time to check how endgame builds looks like and learn about game mechanics deeper

because you are kinda motivated at this moment with your unsatisfaction =)

try to check some endgame build guides for your class ( just google it )

as a solo player you don't have to follow them literally - it just gonna give you some good ideas

about how strong endgame loadouts which breezes thru overland with overkilling dps looks like

and what game mechanics allows them to do so.

just try it and then feel free to tweak it so it suits your playstyle better .

best of luck on your improvement road,

have fun =)
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also check out Sherman's Gaming He does some great Solo builds you could try out. They are mostly not meta but fun to play. Also he is super detailed why he uses certain sets and how to play the build =)
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an Imperial Templar which I use as a stamina damage dealer, and as a tank. Both Nords, and Imperial's racial bonuses make them well suited for those roles, but don't contribute anything towards magicka damage. Hybrid builds are fun, but inferior to focused damage builds, though the best tanks are usually hybrids, but they are not intended to do much damage.

I put all my attribute points into stamina, that grants higher damage output as a damage dealer, and resource to block with as a tank. Higher resource values mean more damage, healing power, and a bigger pool.

I use five pieces of medium armor when damage focused, or five pieces of heavy armor when tanking. The other two pieces I always equip are the other armor types, so I always have all three armor types equipped, light, medium, and heavy to gain the passive benefits.
    Hundings Rage, and Night Mothers Gaze are great sets to begin with, and are easy to make at their crafting stations if you have developed the crafting skill lines.

Repentance is a great heal, and sustain option when there are bodies around, if not then vigor is the best, or at least one of the best heal over time for stamina builds.

Puncturing sweeps is a magicka morph, Biting jabs would almost certainly produce better results if you focus on stamina. Endless hail is usually recommended over arrow barrage.

Overall it would probably be best to look at some of the popular builds more experienced players post to get a good understanding of what can produce the results you want. This game gives you a lot to learn.
    Edited by jlmurra2 on October 29, 2018 3:41PM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello I am wondering if someone can give me advice. I have been a player on eso since launch on ps4. I am a solo player and this was my 1st mmo. Basicly one of those elder scrolls fans that jumped in face first without knowing what I was really doing. My main character is cp 703. Nord templar welding a bow. Long story short is I have spent alot of hours playing. Have all quests done except the ones in craglorn and imperial city. I have made my attributes mostly balanced with the last extra one on stamina because of my bow. Ability bar I have puncturing sweep IV, focused aim, breath of life, ritual of retribution, arrow barrage, and solar disturbances. For gear I have twice born star and willows path. All heavy. But its gets irratating having to spend hours at a world boss for other people to come along and help take it down. Is there anything I can do with the character I have to be more effective soloing. Or do I need to start over? Thanks for any advice or tips.
    -an old newbie

Well, you seem to be a veteran player considering you have been playing since PS4 launch. However, there is always room to learn new things everyday. I started just a bit after launch, but I still don't know everything about ESO. However, I have over 15 maxed toons (well beyond a 1000), from every class (you name it, each and all and every other hybrid and combo) and I know my toons. I'm a solo artist as well (well, except for trials) and been soloing world bosses (well, except for the Summerset ones; I can, but nahh, too much time needed on those multi-millions hp ones) and dungeons since the hay days. So, let me help you better your toon a bit; particularly on PvE.

One of my fav toon is a Stamplar (mine are all Imperial for the stamina passive; I just favor Imperial for stam toons over other race.) I have both a 2H (greatsword) and DW. Front bar is always the 2H and DW with bow on the back bar on both. You're good with heavy. That is what you want for soloing lonewolf. Contrarily to popular belief, you can still dish out phenomenal damages with one of the set being heavy; mine does. Whatever set you choose, you want a balance of resources and damaging stats. For example, with food buff, aim for your stam pool to be in the upper 30s. It would be nice to have over 40k stam, but then you sacrificing on the overall weapon damage rating. For example.. on one of my 2H build, I use heavy Shacklebreaker and Innate Axiom (since we can craft jewelry now) with Grothdaar. Prior, I was using Shackle/Spriggins. I like the Shackle as it pluses up the stam and maj and also gives weapon damage. Of course, the Innate Axiom pluses the Templar class ability. For one of my DW, I use heavy Innate Axiom/Sword Dancers and Velidreth. The Innate pluses up the Templar class abilities while the Sword Dancer pluses up the DW abilities. On another Stamplar, I use Twice Fang/Mechanical Anuity and Stormfist 2-piece. You also need your hp to be within the 19-20k flat range; not over 20 and overall weapon damage rating to be in the 3k (non-buff.) Majicka pool; well, you can fair well with around 11-13k. You also want your phys/spell resistance to be over 18k a piece. Mine is close to 20k and a bit over.

Skillwise.. on stam; particularly a Stamplar with a bow, and I'm hoping you're not using a bow/bow build. You're missing out if you're not slotting a 2H or DW on the primary bar. Anyways, on my 2H/bow, for example, I slot Biting Jabs (for stam toon, you want this and not Puncturing Sweep), Forward Momentum, Brawler, Razor Caltrops, Retribution and Flawless Dawnbreaker on my front bar. On the back bow bar, I slot Poison Injection, Rune Focus, Power of the Light, Endless Hail, Blazing Shield and then Ice Comet.

For world bosses (soloing or not), for example: I'll buff up with Forward M, then drop Endless Hail, hit him with Power Light, blast with Poison Inj; flip bar and drop Razor Caltrop, Retribution, then swat with Brawler, drop Ice Comet and pommel a few times with heavy attack combo with Jabs. Of course, using Blazing Shield and Rune Focus as needed. I'll redo the rotation after the 3rd heavy/Jabs. There are just lots of DoTs, AoE and supplementary damages dropped with Endless Hail, Razor Cal, Retribution, Brawler and Ice Comet. Plus, the Power of the Light is constantly on him. When it bangs off, I'll immediately drop the Light again and again. The heavy attack/Jabs combos are just punishing damages until the timer is about up and I need to redo the rotation from Forward Momentum and also to replenish my stamina pool. On my DW, it's practically similar, but I use the Rapid Strikes, Deadly Cloak and Shrouded Daggers from the DW skill line to supplement the Templar skills.

On your gear, other than Twice-Born and Willow, try out Shacklebreaker, Spriggins, Innate Axiom, Mechanical Annuity, Twice Fangs, Sword Dancers, or Vicious Oph. You can even use Hunding and Hulking; something that will give you more overall stamina and weapon power and some crit. On your mundus, you can use the extra stam one or Warrior. I prefer Warrior for the extra weapon damages.

I hope this helps you out a bit and something useful to you..

Edited by GreenhaloX on October 29, 2018 2:33PM
  • princessdawn982b14a_ESO
    All awesome advice. Thanks everyone!