The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need help building a staircase

Itacira
Itacira
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi ! I'm very much a beginner in in-game housing and decorating and I'm turning to you guys to accompany me in my journey.

I'd like to build a spiral wooden staircase that'd look somewhat like so :

10drwey8k2u8.jpg

Any advice to achieve the result I'm seeking?
PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could probably recreate this with a dozen of of the smaller wall shelves...
    but! it would be tricky to space them out exactly right to make it functional.

You might need that add-on "Essential Housing Tool" which can help you get the "steps" laid out in mathematical precision
    Good Luck!
    :)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could probably create that with a barnicle post and some crate lids.. but you wont be able to walk up it.

If you wish for one you can walk up, you could try using limestone stairs, angle them apart to create a spiral, but it would be much wider and not around a pole.

If you just need something to walk up, I think murkmire adds a ramp ;)

If going with crate lids, any home furnisher sells those
    Edited by MacCait on October 24, 2018 12:25PM
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned above, the addon will space the items equally in a spiral shape that you can then adjust in height.
    However, this doesnt guarantee that you will be able to walk up the stairs in the way that you can with existing stairs in game.
    There has to be a specific angle + depth between the step for it to function.
    of course, if you just want it for a display staircase this doesn't matter at all.

Also mentioned above, the limestone stairs could work quite nicely, they pretty much ensure that you can walk up them, but they are a little wider than the image you presented...and made of stone :)

Also, just to note.
    Are you wanting to access that upstairs floor or just add stairs?
    if I remember correctly, there is a height limit upstairs and you cant actually 'get in' it.
    Maybe check that you can actually access that upstairs floor, if that is your plan - before stating on the staircase :)
    You can just use a rough plank or 2 to make a ramp towards it.
    Edited by dtsharples on October 24, 2018 3:21PM
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dtsharples yeah, by the time I had built the stairs (had to update the kind of stairs I wanted to make them usable) I found out I couldn't go under the roof.

lkw0m6h9w6vq.png

So much wasted space D: Much sadness.
    PC/EU - PVE 2H stam orc petsorc (meta, what meta?) ww - terrible dps - mediocre player - fun times - free ww bites to whomever asks so don't be shy if interested
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :( I thought as much.
    I think I managed to place some small chests and barrels up on that ledge, so it looked like storage space for the house, but otherwise unusable.
    You could however build something quite fantastic outside if you use your imagination, I am sure :)
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really would like for them to revisit these houses and remove those collision fields. I wanted to build up into that space as well, and for example into the domes of the Hunding's Palatial Hall too but they have collision fields stopping you from going up into the domes.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DjinnRa I know, right? I'm pretty disappointed, as I was really counting on turning it into a two floors house :( regretting not going for Twin Arches a little bit. Oh well, eventually the money will add up for me to get it.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Itacira, if you can hold off I'd suggest saving for Sleek Creek House. It's in a perfect location, right by Rawl'kha and with an Outlaw's Refuge out the back door. The space is nice to work with, I've built a treehouse and put a platform on the roof with a curved path up made using Daedric Thrones turned upside down. The area under the house is the kitchen and the rest for crafting tables and collectibles.

If you want to see it hit me up if you see me on and I'll add you to my friends list. You can then use the house as a free port or a quick escape. My username in game is Wildberryjack.
    Edited by Wildberryjack on October 24, 2018 6:21PM
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DjinnRa wrote: »
    I really would like for them to revisit these houses and remove those collision fields. I wanted to build up into that space as well, and for example into the domes of the Hunding's Palatial Hall too but they have collision fields stopping you from going up into the domes.

The problem is that they're not collision fields.... they're the edge of the map. The devs have explained before that there is no way to adjust the bounds of a map like this once created.

The devs have been a lot more aware of vertical space since we discovered unusable areas like this in the first group of houses... I was able to build a spiral ramp all the way to the top of Tel Galen, and the interior space of the Summerset villa goes all the way up to the (very high!) ceiling. But they can't reasonably go in and "fix" the map sizes of the older houses.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BlackSparrow Thanks for the explanation. Very sad though. Lost possibilities!
    Meh, we'll have others :)
  • Itacira
    Itacira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any usable ladders available as furnishings ?
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Murkmire Ramp, Marshwood which is in the purchasing section of the Housing Editor under Structures/Platforms.

Best I've found, and it makes good fencing too, turned on its side.
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very nearly bought Humblemud, but decided to save up a little and bought the slightly larger Ample Domicile instead.
    From what I can see, the inside space looks only marginally larger / taller, with all the excess room being available in the 'ample' garden :p

I managed to build a second floor inside the house, using 2 of the limestone stairs as access, and 2 of the wide wooden planks as the floor itself.
    it's more of a mezzanine, as it doesnt cover the whole space, just over half. Plenty for a Bedroom.
    Maybe give that a try and see if you can 1) Walk under the planks 2) Walk above it without hitting that dreaded end-space.

if I remember I will try to post a photo later this evening.
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Downstairs, From on the stairs and upstairs (bedroom)
    Still very much a work in progress as I was waiting to see what items Murkmire brought :)
    fKPkB7e.png
    XJ0Juzt.png
    hLtOe46.png
    Edited by dtsharples on October 25, 2018 4:59PM
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the limestone stairs is that they need to be placed with a very shallow depth between the items, or you cannot climb up them.

So unless you specifically want a curved staircase they take up too much space, and more slots than is ideal.

They are better suited to outside both functionally and in looks.

No offence @dtsharples...I play around with these quite a lot, but they do have their limitations.
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is just 2 of the staircases and you can walk up them like any other functional staircase to the second floor.
    We aren't discussing the spiral staircase any more afaik :) I think that idea was dead on arrival due to the limitations and item slots it would take to do properly.
    The above was me demonstrating how you don't need a spiral staircase to build a second layer / mezzanine in the home.
    And also that the space at the very top is non functional