Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Hirelings...

Maestro_Sartori
Maestro_Sartori
✭✭✭
Hello

Could somebody explain to me what Hirelings are and how you use them....I asked in the zone chat today but of course everybody was just arguing with each other as usual and couldn't be bothered...

Thanks
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Alright, they're basically your slaves that go out and collect materials for you for free. When you level them up they'll farm you more rare things more often. They give you what they have acquired every 24 hours, like the good slaves that they are. Of course, you will not receive the first shipment until 24 hours after you obtain the passive skill, as they must put in some work first.

They will give you material based on your level of skill at the craft. Say blacksmithing...and your main blacksmithing skill is only rank one, your hirelings will give you iron ore. If you have it up to rank two, your hireling will give you steel (high iron).
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    The mousover tooltip in-game explains it all. Use a skill point. You get a mail with resources every 24 hours. There is no other interaction, it's a passive "skill".
    Edited by Gillysan on April 5, 2014 4:40PM
  • Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    Okay thanks!
  • nlnj_a
    nlnj_a
    ✭✭✭
    Do they bring many materials?
    Otherwise I would not waste my skill points.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I invested in the enchanting one and typically get 3 runes each letter.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably wouldn't wast skill points early on. They don't give you much but what they do give you is usually useful materials you are typically short on. Depends how much you are crafting but I'd put it on the low/med priority of where to spend your skill points.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Once you get up to 2/3 or 3/3 it can give you very rare legendary item improving materials, which is very very useful. So I would say the points are worth it.
  • Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    Okay I hired a hireling, the 24 hours is this real time or game time?
  • nero5684ub17_ESO
    nero5684ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    If I go on vacation do they still send you stuff everyday or do I have to logon to get them?
  • miakellyb16_ESO
    24hrs real time Maestro
    it mail it will stick there for up to 30days nero
    The things i say are my thoughts and don't reflect any group i'm part of.
    That said, do you have cookies?
    player of
    • Ahaná
    • Tears of Night
    • Ekahi
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    nlnj_a wrote: »
    Do they bring many materials?
    Otherwise I would not waste my skill points.

It's variable. Sometimes you will get a few bits of ore, other times you will get quite a bit. Sometimes you will just get materials, sometimes you will get the reagents needed to improve the items. I've snagged quite a few green quality reagants, some blue ones and even a couple of epic/legendary ones. I'd say it was a fairly essential skill to get (on a number of characters) if you're serious about crafting.

• Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed it can take time after you login to receive the email. On the other claw I have noticed if you login then back out then back in you always get the email then. I have a feeling that the check to send you the email only runs every so often but something in the housekeeping of logging out after its due triggers it then, otherwise you just have to wait for it to process. Hmm it probably processes on the hour or half hour. I'll have to pay attention better.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, in case it hasn't been mentioned before, read the mail. Every day, the hireling sends a different message. They're pretty good.
    Edited by nerevarine1138 on April 6, 2014 5:54PM
    ----
    Murray?