Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS Problem

• Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad it's not just me. I've had to turn off half my graphics settings... no more water reflections, no more occlusion, reduced visual range, etc... Rather frustrating.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    2018 Macbook Pro 13" here with iris 655 graphics. Pre-patch was getting about 50fps at 1440x900 with the medium preset. Now getting about 25-30fps in the same locations as before.

On a side note is there any chance of making the eso client retina aware? It isn't capable of running above the "looks like" scaled resolution on the built in screen without using 3rd party utilities to switch the desktop res to the physical resolution of the screen. For example, my screen is 2560x1600 but I run it at the default scaled resolution which "looks like" 1440x900, and 1440x900 is the max the game will run at. Other games like wow and diablo 3 do not have this issue.
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, we're aware and working on making some improvements for an incremental patch.

Any ETA ?
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    Have you guys read this > https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/9qgz1a/psa_if_youre_on_pc_check_your_ambient_occlusion/

Murkmire has an 'Ambient Occlusion' setting in settings > video that default to off. I changed mine to SSAO (though I won't be able to tell you what that means) and my game went back to semi normal. Still a bit stuttery, but WAY better.

Apologies if this has already been covered, I'm not techy at all :)
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am on PC, and my frames are terrible in murkmire. The only place in the game i have any issues at all.
  • raffaeleg
    raffaeleg
    ✭✭✭
    As “terrible” do you mean good or bad? How many FPS if I may ask?
    Neoealth wrote: »
    I am on PC, and my frames are terrible in murkmire. The only place in the game i have any issues at all.

Edited by raffaeleg on October 23, 2018 11:55AM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have FPS of 30 - 40 when in Murkmire, approx. half of what I get outdoors in other places.
    PC EU
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    Ecstatica wrote: »
    Have you guys read this > https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/9qgz1a/psa_if_youre_on_pc_check_your_ambient_occlusion/

Murkmire has an 'Ambient Occlusion' setting in settings > video that default to off. I changed mine to SSAO (though I won't be able to tell you what that means) and my game went back to semi normal. Still a bit stuttery, but WAY better.

Thanks, I have tried that as well but it did not help. That being said, for me, turning off Sunlight Rays at least allowed me to do a dolmen and get an event ticket. Prior to that, the input lag was horrible, the fps was horrible and it was unplayable. Now I can put up with it enough to do that but it is still mostly unplayable unless I want to give myself a massive headache.
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    Ecstatica wrote: »

Thanks, I have tried that as well but it did not help. That being said, for me, turning off Sunlight Rays at least allowed me to do a dolmen and get an event ticket. Prior to that, the input lag was horrible, the fps was horrible and it was unplayable. Now I can put up with it enough to do that but it is still mostly unplayable unless I want to give myself a massive headache.

Tried it also, no luck :( but thx

I hope zeni fix this soon
  • rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    bg85cqh267pc.png

Chris dillman made the metal port.
    Eso is the only AAA Titel, other games he ported are tetris like games ;)
    Hmmm

http://chrisdillman.com
    Edited by rluke on October 23, 2018 12:47PM
  • Montie
    Montie
    ✭✭✭
    rluke wrote: »
    bg85cqh267pc.png

Hmmm

While I can understand your frustration, I am frustrated too.Let's not start pointing fingers at single people and blaming them for everything that is bad. The company decided to push this patch. Hopefully they are working on a fix or contemplating a rollback to how it ran on Macs until they can fix it.
    Edited by Montie on October 23, 2018 1:11PM
  • Evilspock
    Evilspock
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same issues, fps abysmally low. I’ve played since beta on mac on much worse machines and never had this poor of performance. Adjusting game video settings seems to have no effect.
    🖖 @EvilSpock |PC/NA| ✦ Guildmaster: Vulcan Commandos |AD| ✦ https://youtube.com/@vulcan_commando
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Update please.
    -Jeth
  • boggo
    boggo
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also having only about 15 FPS live.
    Something that might be important: On PTS I first had also very low FPS, the last version on PTS however was at 40 FPS as usual.
  • lymantria
    lymantria
    ✭✭
    I am also experiencing very low FPS, almost unplayable. Definitely unplayable in dungeons, trials, etc. Feeling awful at dolmens as well. It is technically playable but my eyes literally hurt.
    Patiently waiting for the solution from ZOS, however. Hope it will come soon.
    17 chars

PC EU.
    810cp+
    Main - Khajiit MagDK
    DDs - Argonian MagPlar, Redguard StamPlar, Redguard StamCro, Dunmer MagBlade, Khajiit StamBlade/WW, Dunmer StamDen, Altmer MagSorc, Orc StamDK
    Healers - Argonian Warden, Breton Templar, Khajiit Necro
    Tanks - Orc Warden, Argonian DK, Khajiit Necro
    PvP - Argonian MagPlar, Bosmer StamDK

Not a big fan of hardcore endgame (I'm too lazy lol), but all vDLC dungeons completed, as well as vMoL, vSS and been in all others. Master Crafter.

Love helping nice people.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rluke wrote: »
    bg85cqh267pc.png

Hmmm

No, Chris did the original Mac client (OpenGL). He's been gone from ZoS for years now.
  • timdew
    timdew
    Soul Shriven
    FPS on my iMac was always above 60FPS, it has now dropped to 20FPS and as low as 8FPS in some places. It has made the game unplayable. Please sort this so I can explore Murkmire @ZOS_GinaBruno

• boggo
    boggo
    ✭✭✭
    GOT A SOLUTION:
    1) Go to your Elder Scrolls Online folder
    2) Rename the "live" subfolder to "live_old" to make a backup
    3) Start game
    ---
    You will lose your settings like that. Copy the files you need back into the newly generated "live" folder from your "live_old" folder. Be careful, this might lead back to slow FPS because one of those files seems to be the culprit.
  • lymantria
    lymantria
    ✭✭
    boggo wrote: »
    GOT A SOLUTION:
    3) Start game
    ---
    You will lose your settings like that. Copy the files you need back into the newly generated "live" folder from your "live_old" folder. Be careful, this might lead back to slow FPS because one of those files seems to be the culprit.

Wow, thank you! Worked for me :)

17 chars

PC EU.
    810cp+
    Main - Khajiit MagDK
    DDs - Argonian MagPlar, Redguard StamPlar, Redguard StamCro, Dunmer MagBlade, Khajiit StamBlade/WW, Dunmer StamDen, Altmer MagSorc, Orc StamDK
    Healers - Argonian Warden, Breton Templar, Khajiit Necro
    Tanks - Orc Warden, Argonian DK, Khajiit Necro
    PvP - Argonian MagPlar, Bosmer StamDK

Not a big fan of hardcore endgame (I'm too lazy lol), but all vDLC dungeons completed, as well as vMoL, vSS and been in all others. Master Crafter.

Love helping nice people.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOT A SOLUTION:
    3) Start game
    ---

Oh thank you so much for investigating. I tried that and my fps at dolmens is now at 35-40. Not where I was before the patch but much better than earlier today.

Now to slowly add back my addons and make sure they don't mess up my fps.

• rluke
    rluke
    ✭✭✭
    GOT A SOLUTION:
    3) Start game
    ---

thank you Sir, its much better I got 30-40 FPS.

@ Zeni
    But I want back my 80+ FPS before the Patch ;)

thx again @boggo

Edit:

In Dungeons and BG´s i geht only 15-25 FPS, but in Open World the Workaround from boggo helps.
    Edited by rluke on October 23, 2018 8:45PM
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Waiting........
    -Jeth
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

- I've reviewed the patch notes for the update and NOWHERE, not even under known issues, does it disclose a 50% to 75% performance drop for Mac platform. This smacks of blatant dishonesty.

- This update was billed as a performance enhancement.

- Whether it's you and or others who aren't doing the job that I pay you for, it's you that is tasked with communicating with the general public.

- ZOS may choose to ban me from the game or the site which is actually just fine cause the game is unplayable as is.
    -Jeth
  • Shomar133
    Shomar133
    Soul Shriven
    I was hoping that the update from today would have resolved the FPS issue for the Mac platform but it has not.

Thank you Boggo for you work-a-round. (That did not work for me.)

I hope that the moderator's are looking at our post and will do something to correct this issue soon. I enjoy playing the game, but in its current state it is very difficult to play.

Just looking for a little help from the ZOS team.
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I love about the internet is how things live on forever

ZOS? Why would you knowingly launch an update that crippled your game on a whole platform?
    -Jeth
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeth wrote: »

ZOS? Why would you knowingly launch an update that crippled your game on a whole platform?

They really screwed the pooch on this one. Just when I thought my confidence level in Zos couldn't get any lower...
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    postlarval wrote: »
    Jeth wrote: »

They really screwed the pooch on this one. Just when I thought my confidence level in Zos couldn't get any lower...

Were you playing when Mac platform couldn’t complete WGT because they chose to go live with bugs reports for 60 days in PTS?

-Jeth
  • Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a post by Dev's that they are working on a patch to correct this. I have a late model iMac running Mojave that had around 60FPS prior to murkmeir, now running around 10 -20 on medium, with most features turned off. First thought was add-on causing so turned them all off. Still same problem. My Mac uses AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2048 MB so it is recent video. Hope to see them support the Radeon cards as someone mentioned. Not everyone can use NVIDIA. Game ran just fine prior to this latest patch that was supposed to be optimized for Mojave. Trust they will figure it out shorty. I also run 24G RAM, with the I5 3.2G processor.
  • Emrani
    Emrani
    I have a 2017 27 inch iMac with Radeon Pro 580 and 8192 MB graphics.

Before the Murkmire update I had at least 60 FPS on 2560 x 1440 on high settings.

Now I get 5-20 FPS on those settings.
  • timdew
    timdew
    Soul Shriven
    It seems that Mac support isn't high on ZOS agenda, perhaps not enough of us?

Very disappointing.