The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why can I not access game after latest Update today 22 October

Steeler195
On hitting play the following comes up "ESO cannot start because your machines Vulkan Support is insufficient or non existent" I have been playing since April 2016 why all of sudden does this happen?

Best Answers

• Steeler195
    What happens to my account, my game and all its content now? I was in 5 guilds with loads of stuff for sale, not to mention i will be kicked out of guilds i have been with for ages. I am/was an ESO Plus member also -what happens now - can i transfer to Xbox which at the moment would be cheaper option than a new computer.

I have:

iMac 21.5-inch, mid 2011
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333Mhz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
    High speed internet

Or can my machine be updated - I am not computer knowledgeable and would appreciated any advice you can give

Thank you
    Answer ✓
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steeler195 wrote: »
    What happens to my account, my game and all its content now? I was in 5 guilds with loads of stuff for sale, not to mention i will be kicked out of guilds i have been with for ages. I am/was an ESO Plus member also -what happens now - can i transfer to Xbox which at the moment would be cheaper option than a new computer.

I have:

iMac 21.5-inch, mid 2011
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333Mhz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
    High speed internet

Or can my machine be updated - I am not computer knowledgeable and would appreciated any advice you can give

Thank you

Please do NOT take this as ESO screwing you out of game access. this is happening here because with our new OS shift, Mojave, Apple is moving us away from Open GL. Now, ZOS is incorrect on certain minimum requirements here but that is ONLY because there are older models of Mac that have the better hardware ( you had to order it when you ordered your machine) that have the necessary Metal support. I have a 2012 model, 21.5" iMac that is working fine on High Sierra, but my video card supports metal, i have the needed 8gb memory, etc. if you missed the High Sierra upgrade, and your machine will not run Mojave, you have no recourse really but to get a new machine, but chances are if your machine supports Mojave, you might be ok. i believe the new memory needed though is 8gb. IF you can support Metal though, you CAN probably take your machine into the Apple Store and see about more memory and that SHOULD fix you for running ESO. Here's some good news though if you have to replace your machine, the 2016 and later iMac (not certain about laptops i don't have one) Now supports external video cards so if this happens again, and the only requirement later is needed a better graphics card you ill have more options. Remember, we get away with MUCH older hardware for longer on the same games than PC's do, but eventually our time comes due. ESO is one of the FEW games supporting our shift away from OpenGL.
    Here is some of the important info about our changes fromApple that will help you troubleshoot on your end:https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/28/why-macos-mojave-requires-metal----and-deprecates-opengl
    NA EP CP1200+
    Original: Mag/Templar Erestem Nightblossom (Tank/Healer Hybrid, Alchemist, general nuisance)
    Alt's? at this point...so many to play, so little time!

**RED or DEAD** Long Live EP!

Leather Lace- GM, ESO Grand Designs GM, Ankle Biter for Lone Wolf United, CO-GM of Tower of Wayreth,
    Master Furnisher & Housing fanatic, PvP junkie
    Beta Tester, part of the 2013 Club
    Answer ✓
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Um, I'm on a relative recent OS -- Mac OS 10.16, Macbook Pro mid 2015. Apparently happily supports Metal and I still don't get anything.

I DO NOT EXPECT TO DO A MAJOR OS UPDATE JUST TO PLAY YOUR FRACKING GAME.
    Answer ✓
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For mouse spinning take a look here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/437539/eso-macos-mojave-spinning-issue-solved#latest. Next two issues may in fact also be a result of you not updating accessibility for the game.

As for the last issue I presume this is actual operating system that you are talking about and has little to do with TESO? In such a case why don't you disable dark mode? It is in Settings and then general.
    Answer ✓
  • ProphetOfArkay
    ProphetOfArkay
    Soul Shriven
    Romilly wrote: »
    Ok, other things that went wrong post Mojave upgrade:

1) Infinitely spinning character in dungeon - solution disable all addons.

2) Keyboard non-functional -- solution -- disable the somehow enabled "Mouse Keys" mode (Apple?)

3) Non-double-finger-scrollable windows outside of ESO - disable and re-enable scrollimg under the Accessinility (Apple?)

4) Some system UI is unusable due to some weird "Dark-Mode backgroun + Light mode text".

Re: 1) To fix the spinning character, go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Accessibility. In the list of apps on the right in this window, click the checkboxes next to the ESO app and the ESO Launcher (and maybe Steam if you use that to launch the game? I don't use the game via Steam). This solved the spinning camera issues for me. I had already done this prior to the update, but had to do it again post-update.

Re: 4) Most apps are not yet fully compatible with Apple's new dark mode in Mojave. I suggest leaving this off.

Also, since it sounds like you are very frustrated with using macOS for gaming, I strongly recommend using Boot Camp to dual boot Windows on your Mac. I'm a lifelong Mac user, but I still play ESO on Windows most of the time.
    Answer ✓
  • GG_Rabbit1
    GG_Rabbit1
    Soul Shriven
    I actually found a solution to this, for anybody else that's having this problem:

So with my newly downloaded "Setup" not being able to open, and like i mentioned before, I had deleted the game planning on re-installing it, not realizing that it wasn't working because of the update, I was pretty much screwed.

But luckily, I found an old "Setup" icon from when I first installed the game over a year ago buried in an old random folder on my desktop; which was weird because there were no other eso related files at all on my computer, just that one.

Not sure how it got there, but thanks god it was there, because that old one worked.

For some reason, its just the new one that you get if you try to download the game now that won't open
    (at least on my system.)

But here's another solution to another problem that some of you might have:

If the game keeps crashing during the loading screen that follows after you sign into your account, here's how I got around that:

keep the game in windowed mode while it loads, then click and hold and drag the window around your screen until its made it to the next screen.

If I don't do that, then it crashes every time.

Maybe its just my Mac, but just in case anyone else is having this problem (which I read somewhere that someone else was), this should work.

Or at least it worked for me.

Anyways, there ya go!
    Answer ✓
  • speedking79
    Its funny, every time i get this answer i think "is that the most normal thing ever?"

I am not a computer nerd, i dont read in forums normally or read magazines. I buy a game or download a demo and when it works then in 100% cases i can play that game. I am playing for 15 years now, never had something similar. I heard WOW was the same, but i read that yesterday. I mean i am buying a online game that i play for 4 years and after an update i can never play again on that computer? I played it on an different one, nothing has changed. The graphics are the same and the loading times are the same. SO why its not possible to play it anymore? Will there be a big graphic change?

I found a lot of people that have the same problem and dont know why (now they do) I think ist not fair. At LEAST it should be possible to transfer my character to a PS4 Account like they did a few years back i think when it was released for consoles.

But i got the same answer that is posted here and an "We hope you will support us in the future" I mean yeah i would but i cant play anymore. I hate this auto copy/paste e mails that much.

But yeah after all i had luck and i have an macbook where i can play it now. But i am still gutted. If somebody knows similar cases, when a game that could be played, could not be played anymore after an update please give me a shout. I would like to know how often this already been the case. As i know only at WOW. Since then? At least not with the games i played.

Cheers, S
    Answer ✓
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Steeler195

As of the Mojave update, macOS no longer supports OpenGL. In order to continue supporting the majority of our Mac players as of Update 20 (Murkmire), ESO will be upgrading from OpenGL to MoltenVK; this means the minimum system requirements for Mac have changed as detailed below. If your Mac does not support MoltenVK, it may no longer run ESO after the update.

The new minimum system specifications for Mac will be as follows:
    • Operating System: macOS High Sierra v 10.13
    • Model: Late-2013 27-inch iMac and Newer
    • Hard Disk Space: 85 GB free HDD space
    • Internet: Internet Broadband Connection
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I don't have any option to upgrade to High Sierra...

So, now what do I do?

You can refund every PENNY I spent on this game.

Winton
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    I have spent a year building 8 characters, spent a ton on your in game stuff, and now I'm dead in the water, because you can't program compatibility.

I am so angry right now.
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, so apparently you can still install for free, if you go to the App Store and search for it, even though its not considered an upgrade...

Well here goes nothing. I just want to say one last time though, wow, so annoying. You need to compensate us for your incompetency at compatibility. At least 1 day extra ESO+
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Also, why the hell can't you actually just notice the incompatability and send a HUGE POP UP saying what was wrong?
    Amateurs.

W
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    You know what will happen if this doesn't work right? I'll buy a PC, and not be limited to crappy games that offer Mac compatability.
  • Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, great, now I've upgraded and it's managed to lose my desktop picture that I have had forever.

Awesome. More on your crappy developers who made me upgrade.
  • Steeler195
    Thank you for the clear explanation of what has happened.

I Guess that it is Apple I should be annoyed at in that they are trying to push people with older models into purchasing new machines, it follows the usual pattern of the greedy monopolists in this world of today.

Would have been nice to fold my account and characters down without losing too much just incase i am able to get a newer iMac in the future. Be nicer still if you could transfer to Xbox.

I too had 8 characters running at cp 908, spent loads in Crown Store etc etc and being mad just doesn't fit the bill.

• Romilly
    Romilly
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, other things that went wrong post Mojave upgrade:

1) Infinitely spinning character in dungeon - solution disable all addons.

2) Keyboard non-functional -- solution -- disable the somehow enabled "Mouse Keys" mode (Apple?)

3) Non-double-finger-scrollable windows outside of ESO - disable and re-enable scrollimg under the Accessinility (Apple?)

4) Some system UI is unusable due to some weird "Dark-Mode backgroun + Light mode text".
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this with the pts a couple of weeks ago, my iMac is mid 2011 so its not supported for mojave and doesn't support metal. So thats screwed that up. I have a MacBook pro which i share with my partner from mid 2015 and it runs just fine in ultrahigh settings. Still having to replace my iMac is going to be costly but I suppose 7 years usage from it is pretty good.
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.
  • GG_Rabbit1
    GG_Rabbit1
    Soul Shriven
    So after the last update, i've upgraded to High Sierra, and my specs meet minimum requirements.
    (i've attached a photo of my Mac's specs just for reassurance)

twysf5wds279.png

So now i'm trying to re-download the game

(Unfortunately I deleted the game from my computer after the last update because I didn't know that the minimum specs had changed, so I thought maybe something went wrong with my files, and that a re-install would fix it it)

But when I download the game zip file from my account page, unzip it, and run "Set Up", I just get the following message:

"The application "setup" can't be opened"
    (image below)
    fwmclu7pkh2z.png

I feel like if I never would have deleted the game file in the first place, I would just be able to to open it as usual..

Can anyone help me with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

• Evilspock
    Evilspock
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »

Wrong, it’s your game that doesn’t, not Mojave. Prior to murkmire, EOS ran on opengl on all mac versions including Mojave. It wasn’t necessary to force this change at this time. If only we could just have the prior game client with updated murkmire content.
    🖖 @EvilSpock |PC/NA| ✦ Guildmaster: Vulcan Commandos |AD| ✦ https://youtube.com/@vulcan_commando
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Evilspock wrote: »
    Wrong, it’s your game that doesn’t, not Mojave. Prior to murkmire, EOS ran on opengl on all mac versions including Mojave. It wasn’t necessary to force this change at this time. If only we could just have the prior game client with updated murkmire content.

Well, as of Mojave Mac doesn't officially support OpenGL. It can still be used but Apple won't offer any degree of assistance if their updates break it and after the next version of Mac OS after Mojave they'll probably completely remove driver support for OpenGL.
    Edited by kenjitamura on October 26, 2018 10:47AM
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Well, as of Mojave Mac doesn't officially support OpenGL. It can still be used but Apple won't offer any degree of assistance if their updates break it and after the next version of Mac OS after Mojave they'll probably completely remove driver support for OpenGL.
    I think that Evilspock's point is different here. ZOS in fact possibly could do what certain other developer did with their MMO game (No name mentioned so post does not get removed - you know of whom I speak). And maybe they did consider it but some reasons like technical issues or resource availability on their side prevented them from doing so. Basically to place both renderers with Metal based one as experimental for the time being on live client (or even as default but with possibility to switch back to OpenGL one). That way:
    - people would still send their complains called bug reports
    - players with older Macs would get a lot more time to adapt (even just 6 months is much better than 3 - 4 weeks)
    - Metal renderer could in fact mature while not interrupting players in any way. After all if they face issues with that prevent them from playing they could just as a workaround switch to OpenGL instead as long as problem does not get resolved.
    - message from ZOS would still be clear: "We consider MoltenVK/Metal to be the future and OpenGL will be dropped soon"

But then I would not judge anyone for decision they made as basically as software engineer and product owner myself I can think of at least a dozen of valid reasons that could prevent them from doing that even if they wanted it.
  • maybe_so
    maybe_so
    Soul Shriven
    if all I did was listen to Zos who said and says and keeps saying you have to have a 2013 or new Mac to run ES, I'd be buying a new mac. but there is the small fact that Zos has Apple's Metal requirements wrong.

To be fair maybe Apple changed the compatibility - I don't know, but other people have pointed out that Zos is wrong on the minimum for Metal/moltenVK and they just repost the same minimum requirements right next to that.

For anyone looking to see what Apple has for requirements for Mojave with Metal so that MoltenVK will run, please go to
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475 ( If you are already on High Sierra check your About this mac-> system report and see if metal is in the graphics - if so you should be good to go )

Probably, if your mac is on Apple's compatibility list you can play ESO, if not - sorry you need to replace equipment

My 2009 iMac isn't eligible and I am not surprised, but my 2012 MacBook Pro does work

• alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    maybe_so wrote: »
    if all I did was listen to Zos who said and says and keeps saying you have to have a 2013 or new Mac to run ES, I'd be buying a new mac. but there is the small fact that Zos has Apple's Metal requirements wrong.

To be fair maybe Apple changed the compatibility - I don't know, but other people have pointed out that Zos is wrong on the minimum for Metal/moltenVK and they just repost the same minimum requirements right next to that.

For anyone looking to see what Apple has for requirements for Mojave with Metal so that MoltenVK will run, please go to
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475 ( If you are already on High Sierra check your About this mac-> system report and see if metal is in the graphics - if so you should be good to go )

Probably, if your mac is on Apple's compatibility list you can play ESO, if not - sorry you need to replace equipment

My 2009 iMac isn't eligible and I am not surprised, but my 2012 MacBook Pro does work

Metal requirements are not that much about card performance as they are about GPU capabilities. Mac Mini is the best example. 21 inch iMac 2013 year is another example - they can run Metal so it may be indeed possible to have some basic games for them still however for graphics in games such as TESO this may not be enough regardless of Metal compatibility.

Yes, it should start, however fps on those computers will always be a lackster regardless of optimisations. On the other hand when TESO launched the minimum requirement for it was supposedly Intel HD 4000 just to be able to start it while in reality I could pull around 15 fps in low settings using Intel HD 3000 (officially never supported).
    Edited by alterfenixeb17_ESO on October 26, 2018 6:08PM
  • Zealot365
    Zealot365
    Soul Shriven
    What a joke !, fuming to say the least, been playing this game for appox 12 months no issues, lags nothing even signed up to ESO against my better judgement and now with latest update I can't even play a game I have paid for along with monthly subs !!, unreal and very poor from the developers. back over to Diablo 3 for me.

Disgusted, disrespectful to gamers all over the world.

• Evilspock
    Evilspock
    ✭✭✭✭

Point is it was already working, and opengl still works in mohave. There was no eminent need to drop it so abruptly with a botched new client. Opengl isn’t going to be dropped within the next month, more like a year.
    🖖 @EvilSpock |PC/NA| ✦ Guildmaster: Vulcan Commandos |AD| ✦ https://youtube.com/@vulcan_commando
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No wonder gamers think Apple is a joke.
  • chaos1970
    chaos1970
    The BOW and frame rate issue's seem to be only on those of us using a Mac. Happened with the last update and I've seen one and only one acknowledgement from the powers that be that they know about it and a patch will be issued in the future.
    So with all the things going on and Holiday event's and the new DLC the game remains unplayable for most Mac user's with absolutely no word what they are doing to fix it nor to compensate us for not being able to play this game
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Point is it was already working, and opengl still works in mohave. There was no eminent need to drop it so abruptly with a botched new client. Opengl isn’t going to be dropped within the next month, more like a year.

ZOS has already made it clear they don't want to support 2 render paths for a client. When they went to dx11 for windows they got rid of all other rendering back ends including OpenGL. For each patch they probably have to hack together specific fixes for each render path which means maintaining two separate code bases and having to test and fix patches against both code bases. It adds overhead and takes developer resources.

Small patches can potentially break either code base and it wouldn't be smart to release a broken client without the intentions to fix it, the opengl renderer, as it would generate worse publicity than even what's happening now.

• MetroGamer
    MetroGamer
    Soul Shriven
    Bought this game on Steam over a year ago, had many problems to get it running due to Steam deploying a faulty launcher (missing "Bethesda.net_Launcher_Mac.version").
    Now that I have been playing this game for over a year now, most of the time as a subscriber, I am now confronted with a non-compatibility problem – without any warning. Should I read the System requirements each time I start a game that I have been playing? Seems to be so.
    Maybe Bethesda/ZOS should change them inside the Steam shop, too.

Launcher updated everything but won't start the game, without any warning. Thank you!
    MacPro 4,1 (Early 2009) • OSX 10.10.5 • Dual Quad-Core 2,26 GHz • 12GB • EVGA GeForce GTX760 2GB
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    MetroGamer wrote: »
    Bought this game on Steam over a year ago, had many problems to get it running due to Steam deploying a faulty launcher (missing "Bethesda.net_Launcher_Mac.version").
    Now that I have been playing this game for over a year now, most of the time as a subscriber, I am now confronted with a non-compatibility problem – without any warning. Should I read the System requirements each time I start a game that I have been playing? Seems to be so.
    Maybe Bethesda/ZOS should change them inside the Steam shop, too.

Launcher updated everything but won't start the game, without any warning. Thank you!

You seem to have a Metal friendly graphics card so would it be possible to try upgrading to Mojave through the macOS Mojave Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs?

I always recommend backing up your files and doing a clean install whenever doing an OS upgrade if you decide to take that route.