Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Grand Psijic Villa 700/700... and not 1/2 finished.

Lazurynae
Lazurynae
✭✭✭
I have wanted the Grand Psijic Villa since screen shots of it were 'leaked' back in July. I bought crowns when they were on sale so i would be sure to have enough to buy it, because i was certain it would be 16-18k crowns. I was also certain it would be the first to have more than 700 slots. Then low and behold, the event...even better...IT WAS FREE! Now i know why. ZOS knew better than to release this stunning house, without any of the trees it is displayed with in preview, for actual money. I love the house, and what i have done with 1/2 of it. But it is just one more thing that i have become disenchanted with about ESO.
I remember playing Morrowind, and how long it took to get that guy to build my mushroom house. But boy was it worth it. ANYTHING in your inventory could go in your house, with no item limitations. What a gamechanger... I played just to get more things to put in my house!
I also remember the forum discussions about how Morrowind would never be made into an MMO. The times have changed. But I'm about ready to dust off my copy of Morrowind just to decorate my mushroom house just the way i want it. I'm tired of being frustrated with the limitations and stifling of my creative outlet in a world that tries to crush any individuality right out of you. I pay good money to live in an imaginary world where i am queen for a little while. Can someone give me an legitimate answer as to why my castle has to be so barren?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lazurynae wrote: »
    Can someone give me an legitimate answer as to why my castle has to be so barren?

Money

Because ZOS wants you to spend more crowns ($$$) on additional houses ...
    :neutral:
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money.

Sad I know, and I can relate. I dread knowing that I'll run out of space with a huge part of the villa empty or sparsely decorated. I ran into this issue with Hakkvild's Hall, was decorating the side yard, and placed a tree, and it wouldn't let me because I hit the 700 limit.
    Edited by Mintaka5 on October 17, 2018 8:13PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Can someone give me an legitimate answer as to why my castle has to be so barren?

Money

No

They have stated that they can not increase housing slots because of performance limitations on consoles and low end PCs. People would not be happy if the game crashed every time they tried the enter their house because it cant load 1000 intractable objects.

Edited by Katahdin on October 17, 2018 8:16PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Lazurynae
    Lazurynae
    ✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

Money

No

They have stated that they can not increase housing slots because of performance limitations on consoles and low end PCs. People would not be happy if the game crashed every time they tried the enter their house because it cant load 1000 intractable objects.

How about the vast majority of people who have paid good money for a computer that will handle a 1000 load limit? What about telling people right up front that if their system isnt up to par, they cant run this house? Or that they must turn off shading and grass, etc? Most people who play and pay for games like this have better than average computers to run it on. Or better yet, how about a section of the crown store where you need a better gaming system to purchase the better houses? lots of people would be willing to pay for that...
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a sliding scale cant work, because its not just you that goes to your house, you would effectively segragating the population into good/bad computers which could cause a lotof issues amongst players.

I can just see it now, dps needed for vet dungeon cp790 + 1k house, since likelyhood of lag and crashes decrease with the number of players around you with stable connections and good pc.

Not good for business.

Beyond that, its the rendering engine that is the bottleneck, not theend users. If anything, lower spec pcs would just take longer to load.

Only real fix is having instanced zones within house.

Load in 700 exterior pops, open door and 700 interior pops.

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Lazurynae
    Lazurynae
    ✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    Having a sliding scale cant work, because its not just you that goes to your house, you would effectively segragating the population into good/bad computers which could cause a lotof issues amongst players.

I can just see it now, dps needed for vet dungeon cp790 + 1k house, since likelyhood of lag and crashes decrease with the number of players around you with stable connections and good pc.

Not good for business.

Beyond that, its the rendering engine that is the bottleneck, not theend users. If anything, lower spec pcs would just take longer to load.

Only real fix is having instanced zones within house.

Load in 700 exterior pops, open door and 700 interior pops.

THIS!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money
    No

No

As a software developer coming up on my 40th year of doing this professionally and having spent many of those years in the gaming industry, i call BS on that excuse.
    type.gif

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Money

No

How about the vast majority of people who have paid good money for a computer that will handle a 1000 load limit? What about telling people right up front that if their system isnt up to par, they cant run this house? Or that they must turn off shading and grass, etc? Most people who play and pay for games like this have better than average computers to run it on. Or better yet, how about a section of the crown store where you need a better gaming system to purchase the better houses? lots of people would be willing to pay for that...

They aren't going to have different limits for PC vs console. Consoles are stuck on whatever specs they are in and I suspect that console limits are the bigger issue here.

There are published minimum specs and recomended specs for PC. Suddenly changing the game making parts of it need more than those minimum specs and causing people computers to crash is not something they are going to implement either. They are also not going to tell a portion of their customersthat they cant buy this or that house.

Look back in the forum and see the rage that happened when they stopped supporting DX9 or 10 and you'll understand.

Look I agree, this game is graphics intensive and people should have a non potato computer. My own computer is pretty high end. Unfortunately some people don't want to invest in or can't pay for newer machinery.

ZoS may have data on the numbers and types of machines running the game. Until consoles get a new version that can handle more items and a greater portion of PCs are not potatoes, we will not see increases in housing slots unfortunately.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Money

No

Yes.

You know in all my years in the tech industry I've come to realize that most problems can be solved with hard work, resources, and improving what is already in place, all of which needs money to operate. Nothing in programming is intractable, it's the code produced that may be, but it's not impossible.

Now I ask you how many things do you continue to pay for, and not experience some sort of improvement upon which you've invested? In Zenimax's case this it is not acceptable to not have the expectation that the product should reflect the buyer's interest and not the interests of the people providing the service. We all pay in one way or another, and we pay a lot of money. Databases and servers cost money. People to maintain them cost money. So in conclusion, money is the reason.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe @ZOS should stop producing houses that are far too large to be able to furnish them within the item limit.

That was much of the reason why I made that custom build over the Grand Psijic Villa sea. It takes far less slots to build your own home (even a fairly large one) than to try and furnish a house like the original Villa satisfactorily.

@ZOS should realise that by continuing to mass produce huge places, and only release a few smaller ones, they are guaranteeing infinite upset and anger amongst the housing community. And the posts regarding this on the forum will not go away.

So @ZOS, either give people more of the size houses they can work with, or increase those wretched item limits :/
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mintaka5 wrote: »

Money

No

Yes.

You know in all my years in the tech industry I've come to realize that most problems can be solved with hard work, resources, and improving what is already in place, all of which needs money to operate. Nothing in programming is intractable, it's the code produced that may be, but it's not impossible.

Now I ask you how many things do you continue to pay for, and not experience some sort of improvement upon which you've invested? In Zenimax's case this it is not acceptable to not have the expectation that the product should reflect the buyer's interest and not the interests of the people providing the service. We all pay in one way or another, and we pay a lot of money. Databases and servers cost money. People to maintain them cost money. So in conclusion, money is the reason.

You can go argue with ZoS about it.
    They have stated in their own words that they want to give more slots but can't because of technological limitations mostly with consoles.

Your arguement is not logical. It makes no sense whatsoever that the reason is to sell more houses because the limits are discouraging people from buying large crown store houses, not the opposite.

If it's one thing we know about ZoS, if they think they can make money from it, they will do it.
    Edited by Katahdin on October 17, 2018 11:28PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money
    No

No

As a software developer coming up on my 40th year of doing this professionally and having spent many of those years in the gaming industry, i call BS on that excuse.
    type.gif

Then go argue with the devs about it they are the ones that said they would like to give more slots but cant. I did not make it up.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't worry about crashing in Cyrodiil due to thousands of effects and objects on screen in a same time for many players, yet they worry about loading screens in a house which is a separate instance loaded only for one player. If having 1000 objects means only longer loading screen, do it. Also ppl already told them, load the internal and external items separately, 500 pieces in the house, 500 pieces out (courtyard), total 1000. Problem solved.

Edited by Gargath on October 18, 2018 11:06AM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One time this guy tried to explain this housing space situation from a technical computer capability POV. It made no sense to me. Still don’t. The way I see it, this game takes up an enormous amount of space already. What’s a few more gigs for me house gonna hurt.

Let us put as much stuff as we want in these houses. Like you could on a game far older.

Add in some more functionality like an armor vault load out with stuff set up on a mannequin or something...for coolness.

Lose the limit of how many players can be in my house at same time.

Oh, and these places are huge. Need to ride my horse in here too.

And a garden to grow things. Maybe some fishing holes.

I don’t do much of anything with my houses. They don’t really offer much of anything to do if you suck at decorating.

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Maybe @ZOS should stop producing houses that are far too large to be able to furnish them within the item limit.

This one line nails it. ZOS need to scale the houses to suit the limits.

It may all derive from having a designer that favours spare furnishings, so they think it looks "done" at a much lower density of clutter than the average player. Just like the homes in Better Homes and Gardens, where all the junk has been stowed away in closets before the photographer arrives. We want to show our homes as they are in daily use, when it's all scattered over the floor (especially in the teenager's room).
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Money/greed has nothing to do with how limited housing slots are. If anything, they'd sell MORE furnishings if there were more slots.

The performance reason/excuse sounds questionable, but I personally believe it, because I can't think of any other reason they'd want to limit slots in houses.

...I've found that large/medium houses with relatively small spaces for their category are the easiest to make feel full/lived in. Manors are rough.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Money

No

...which is absolutely rubbish!

If they cannot increase the number of furniture items, why then do they continue to increase the number of special items and trophys etc. Its all just code. There is no difference between placing a trophy, special item, mount, and a piece of furniture. People are asking for more furniture slots. Lete people decide if they want to place a trophy or extra piece of furniture.

simply: slots are slots, whether furniture or trophs, so increasing one shows that despite claims, you can indeed increase the number of items placed. Therefore, let us decide
  • Rhoande
    Rhoande
    ✭✭
    I heard it was because Console Cannot have an upgrade on item count. Not because of PC/Mac not being able to handle bad load times.

Also any other game with housing people do not give a crap if you have to wait 5 minutes to get the whole house to load. THEY CONSIDER THAT PART OF THE COST OF ZONING INTO A HEAVILY DECORATED HOUSE. IT'S NORMAL.

So if that's the real reason, they need to take one hard look at games with 2-3x ZOS' limit and far more loading intensive games and reconsider. People who love housing will absolutely wait at the door for a fully deco'd place to load.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money
    No

No

type.gif

This.
    I am pretty sure when I load any zone (which the houses essentially are) there are more than 700 objects in them.
    And if it doesn't work on the consols, then sorry but screw consols and just increase the cap for PCs. As for the segregation part: there is always segregation in the PC community. I can't ask to play a contemporary game on my 20 year old PC.
  • Azriael2
    Azriael2
    ✭✭✭
    They should just do instanced houses.. 700 outside and 700 inside villa is enough to make it nice..
    "Rise, red as the dawn."
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody who knows anything about software and/or game development knows that the limited tech excuse is ***. Why is my Bouldertree refuge (favorite house by the way) not 700 slots? What makes it different from the grand psijic villa? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There's a reason having ESO+ literally DOUBLES your furnishing count. MONEY. They know you will pay for it because if you like housing, you have to.

Why is the population cap different for each house? Money. That's it. You want to invite people over then buy a bigger house. That's the only reason.
    Edited by CyberSkooma on October 18, 2018 7:05PM
    I play this game a little bit I guess
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find this annoying too, but what I find more annoying is why my amaya lake lodge can only have 600, when it's a large house aswell, so im missing 100 slots for no damn reason.
    Edited by Crixus8000 on October 18, 2018 7:29PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crixus8000 wrote: »
    I find this annoying too, but what I find more annoying is why my amaya lake lodge can only have 600, when it's a large house aswell, so im missing 100 slots for no damn reason.

That's an easy one. Large houses have 300 (600) slots. Manors are 350 (700). Amaya is large and not a manor.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    Crixus8000 wrote: »

That's an easy one. Large houses have 300 (600) slots. Manors are 350 (700). Amaya is large and not a manor.

Still annoying though, it's a large house and they just decide to give it 100 less. I hate the look of the manors. I shouldn't need to buy a manor just to get max slots.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anybody who knows anything about software and/or game development knows that the limited tech excuse is ***. Why is my Bouldertree refuge (favorite house by the way) not 700 slots? What makes it different from the grand psijic villa? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There's a reason having ESO+ literally DOUBLES your furnishing count. MONEY. They know you will pay for it because if you like housing, you have to.

Why is the population cap different for each house? Money. That's it. You want to invite people over then buy a bigger house. That's the only reason.

There is an arbitrary limit to the smaller houses, certainly, as they don't want a small home to have the same capacity as a large home, otherwise, why would anyone upgrade from the free inn room, if they can put as much into their Saint Delyn's as they can their Snugpod? I appreciate that they've offered a variety of sizes, as not everyone would want a giant home or even a moderately sized one. But, of course, they want you to upgrade to a larger home if you want to have more furnishings. And they want you to get ESO+ if you want even more.

They set their hard limit of 700 and worked down from there. I hope they are able to increase it in future, but I wouldn't pay crowns for extra slots.

As for the collectibles vs. regular furnishings: I've often wanted to be able to use my collectible furnishing limit for regular furnishings. But, it's possible that the game treats collectibles differently than regular furnishings. Regular furnishings are inventory items, whereas collectible furnishings aren't. So, the game must treat them differently, since you can put the same collectible furnishing in each of your homes. This is all guesswork on my part, since I'm not a software developer.

In the end, I have to keep reminding myself that housing is a part of the game that is designed to generate revenue, and so it will largely be monetized - like the new housing feature, music boxes, which are locked behind the CS. As long as players keep buying ginormous homes that cannot be adequately furnished with the current limits, they'll keep cranking them out. But, I think they could make a lot of money from smaller notable homes - keep them CS exclusive, with 700 slots, but more of a medium or even large-size home. Tel Galen, to me, is more of a large-size home, but gets an extra 100 slots over Hundings and Amaya.
  • weedgenius
    weedgenius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Money

No

This is already happening, I personally can’t visit my friend’s fully furnished Dawnlight Palace bc it crashes on the load screen. Lots of ppl in my housing guild on PS4 always complaining about issues with loading into each other’s houses, it has gotten especially bad in the last couple weeks. It would be literally impossible to let people add another couple hundred items to these houses and not experience huge issues on console as it stands now.
    PS4 NA
    Better Homes & Gardens
  • RABIDxWOLVERINE
    RABIDxWOLVERINE
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they are going to cap the limit of things you can put in your house it should be like 300 for small, 700 medium, 1200 large ad 2000 for the big houses like this, linchal grand manor, and the other larger homes.
    Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
    RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've recently arrived from a game with lots of housing, large item counts, the ability to expand, and also the ability to cheat the limit to go even bigger. There were problems. Visiting large homes had long load times as the items populated. It was possible to think a house was done loading, only to find yourself trapped in a furnishing that popped right on top of you. Large homes did not populate evenly, depopulated as you explored, and then repopped as you went back to the beginning. More often than not, I lost patience rather than wait through the load times. I've always run better than average PCs, so that wasn't the issue.

I agree that instanced housing (700 in/700 out) would be a good compromise. I am probably in the minority in that I love large homes. If I need to close off part of it so I can decorate other areas, I'm fine with that. I would rather have options than small housing.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    One time this guy tried to explain this housing space situation from a technical computer capability POV. It made no sense to me. Still don’t. The way I see it, this game takes up an enormous amount of space already. What’s a few more gigs for me house gonna hurt.

They're not the same and it isn't a matter of space taken up on your computer.

The game world environment is completely static beyond a few NPCs who move or are removed depending on quest choices. The environments exist in their entirety on every player's computer.

In player homes, every single player placed item exists as a graphical asset on every player's computer, but the location and orientation of each item is stored on the server. When you visit a home your computer needs to ask the server for all of those locations and orientations. And if a player adds, removes or moves an object while other players are present, the server needs to communicate that to them.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Money

No

They aren't going to have different limits for PC vs console. Consoles are stuck on whatever specs they are in and I suspect that console limits are the bigger issue here.

There are published minimum specs and recomended specs for PC. Suddenly changing the game making parts of it need more than those minimum specs and causing people computers to crash is not something they are going to implement either. They are also not going to tell a portion of their customersthat they cant buy this or that house.

Look back in the forum and see the rage that happened when they stopped supporting DX9 or 10 and you'll understand.

Look I agree, this game is graphics intensive and people should have a non potato computer. My own computer is pretty high end. Unfortunately some people don't want to invest in or can't pay for newer machinery.

ZoS may have data on the numbers and types of machines running the game. Until consoles get a new version that can handle more items and a greater portion of PCs are not potatoes, we will not see increases in housing slots unfortunately.

And this is why the PC crowd hates it when money grubbing companies insist on TRYING to make their game run on multiple platforms. It ALWAYS dumbs down the PC version and places a ton of limitations that would not be there otherwise. And all because a company is too cheap to properly SEPARATELY develop 2 different versions of their game. Console players should understand that any game they play is NOT going to be he same as the PC version and it is their CHOICE to play on that platform. Quit punishing the PC players of your game ZOS! :neutral:
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!