Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Battlemage build for PVE?

Brittany_Joy
Brittany_Joy
✭✭✭✭
Hi is there a viable battle-mage build for PVE? I am wanting to make a magicka user but I want the protection and the style of heavy armor. Would I be excluded from all group play for a battle-mage build? Is there a way to make it work?
  • Caleb_Kadesh
    Caleb_Kadesh
    ✭✭✭
    The warnings about being excluded from group play are quite exaggerated. The only content that you are likely to be excluded from is trials. As long as you can fill your role at a minimal level you should never be kicked from Normal dungeons. As long as you can fill your role at a competent level you should never be kicked from Vet Dungeons. This game truly can be played however you like as long as you are willing to fulfill your role in group settings.

BattleMage would be a great tank. Front Bar sword and board and back bar Ice Staff. There are a number of great sets that would compliment this as well.Permafrost is the first one that comes to mind.
  • Azkure
    Azkure
    Soul Shriven
    What class are you planning playing?

I have been playing the magDK in this style and love it. I am still leveling so I cannot speak to end game content, but I have not ran into any "issues" with groups or my build as of yet.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azkure wrote: »

I have been playing the magDK in this style and love it. I am still leveling so I cannot speak to end game content, but I have not ran into any "issues" with groups or my build as of yet.

Unfortunately, when it comes to endgame content (Vet Trials and Vet DLC dungeons for skins) you need to be specialized to have a good success rate. During the main questline, dolmens, public dungeons, and even normal dungeons you can get away with having this kind of build. But when you're required to have 30k+ DPS, then you need that extra spell penetration, magicka cost reduction, and magicka recovery that comes from wearing light armor. If you're trying to do PvP, then the Battle Mage is basically the meta build right now. You see a lot of heavy armor magicka builds due to it's ability to survive better.
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Donny_Vito wrote: »
    Azkure wrote: »

Unfortunately, when it comes to endgame content (Vet Trials and Vet DLC dungeons for skins) you need to be specialized to have a good success rate. During the main questline, dolmens, public dungeons, and even normal dungeons you can get away with having this kind of build. But when you're required to have 30k+ DPS, then you need that extra spell penetration, magicka cost reduction, and magicka recovery that comes from wearing light armor. If you're trying to do PvP, then the Battle Mage is basically the meta build right now. You see a lot of heavy armor magicka builds due to it's ability to survive better.

Well I don't plan to do vet content anytime soon. I was mainly referring to leveling experiences and dailies that often interconnect with group play. When I am ready, I can definitely see myself specializing but for now I just want a leveling experience that I will enjoy without the fear of exclusion from group content.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How successful the build is depends on how you approach it.

Considering many spells have a stamina morph choice it can be done very well as a purely stamina build. DKs is probably the best class to pull this off, but all the classes would work.

If the choice is to use a combination of stamina weapon skills and as magicka based spells then the effectiveness drops and gearing changes. However, as pointed out above, these hybrid builds can still perform ok for most activities, exceling most in PvP but struggle to compete with more competitive PvE builds. Players still have fun with them and that is what counts.
  • FoolishOptimist
    FoolishOptimist
    ✭✭✭
    If you just like the look of heavy armour, you can still wear your light armour and change the appearance of your character at an outfit station :)

Magicka characters are fairly hard to kill due to their shields and strong healing capabilities
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play a hybrid and it is very fun. I get mixed reactions to it. Nobody minds outside of veteran dungeons. I think in cyrodiil it is welcome that I do a bit of each role.
  • Azkure
    Azkure
    Soul Shriven
    Well I don't plan to do vet content anytime soon. I was mainly referring to leveling experiences and dailies that often interconnect with group play. When I am ready, I can definitely see myself specializing but for now I just want a leveling experience that I will enjoy without the fear of exclusion from group content.

If you are running into players excluding you from a group WHILE leveling based on stats/gear/general playstyle...I'd say that group is not where you want to be! While leveling is the best time to sort out what you like, what abilities you want to use, etc, etc.

Now, I understand in end-game that guilds or groups are looking for more specific roles and benchmarks (gear, dps, CP, etc). If that is something that is an issue, find some like minded players and just have fun with the million other things in the game!

If you want to be the best/highest DPS, then yes, you'll need the right combination of race/class/build. However, I think that is a constantly moving target as many builds change over time with buffs and nerfs with each new content release.

Just my two cents :)