The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Could use Some Help with Jewelry Crafting Master Writ

Fudly_budly
Fudly_budly
✭✭✭✭
Yesterday, I received this Master Crafting Writ as a reward for completing the daily jewelry crafting writ:

20181008143721_1_zpsdurmnieb.jpg

This was incredibly exciting for me as up until now the richest master crafting writ I had ever received as a reward was a blacksmithing master crafting writ worth 87 writs. So the first thing that I did was port to my guild's home with all of the Attunable
crafting stations to see if I could produce it.

20181008145442_1_zpsfiy8y2ui.jpg

Crap!
Well okay fine the good news is that I will be able to craft this necklace in 15 days. Yay!

20181008143832_1_zpsfffnk29v.jpg

upon checking my storehouse I determined that I will need to obtain some materials in order to craft a necklace.
I was also curious about the cost involved in crafting the necklace. So I did the following research:

20181008143152_1_zpsw9fzffu0.jpg

20181008142844_1_zpsg95sb4th.jpg

20181008143357_1_zpsjjjzocnt.jpg

20181008143342_1_zpsfbi4hujg.jpg

aea266c7-1bdc-4ff1-bd6e-bebbaeb7a909_zpslgzii1a0.jpg

20181008143007_1_zpsfmubvrnq.jpg

Okay, so let's total that up and see the cost:
Amount Req. * Unit Cost = Total Cost
Platinum 15 * 11 = 165
Dibellum 1 * 5500 = 5500
Terne 1 *1050 = 1050
Iridium 2-* 3394 = 6787
Zircon 3 * 24500 73500
Chromium 4 * 77200 = 308800
Total = 395802
Ugh... Ugh... That can't be right! If it were right this writ would cost 1346 gold per writ! So in order to have some frame of reference I thought I would find a comparable blacksmith master crafting writ with which to compare. I found this one:

20181008142550_1_zpsnhazjive.jpg

While I actually had all of the materials in my storehouse to craft this writ except the style stone and the motif, for point of objective comparison what is the total cost of producing this axe?

Amount Req. * Unit Cost = Total Cost
Rubedite 11 * 7 = 77
Motif 55 Axes 1 * 15094 = 15094
Minotaur Bezoar 1 * 179 = 179
Honing stone 2 * 19 = 38
Dwarven Oil 4 * 21 = 84
Grain Solvent 6 * 327 = 1962
Tempering Alloy 8 * 4502 = 36016
Potent Nirncrux 1 * 9212 = 9212
Total = 77679

So this means that this blacksmithing master crafting writ costs 271 Gold per writ. In actuality if I were to receive this blacksmithing master crafting writ my gold investment would be a little bit more than 15,200 and I would receive the ongoing benefit of having purchased the style motif.

But wait a minute. Perhaps I could just sell this writ to some PT Barnum-ite. How does that look?
Sell the Jewelry Writ: writs guild MM price
Current Market price for this JCWrit: 294 ... 12279 ... 42
Compare to Blacksmithing Writ: 287 ... 117454 ... 409
42 gold per writ! Are you kidding me? For point of reference I can sell a filled soul gem to an in-game merchant for 30 gold.

Now I am really confused. I thought master crafting writs were supposed to be rewards for dedicated crafters who invested the time and resources into the crafting aspects of ESO. Why would the game developers put a carrot out there that could so rarely be obtained? Were we just meant to buy our way toward writ rewards from the writ vendors? I would appreciate any insight the game developers could provide to me as to what they would do with this writ. Thank you
Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve done one, and only one master jewelry writ. It was a legendary bloodthirsty one worth 407 vouchers (don’t remember the set). I figured I still needed the achievement for constructing a legendary piece to knock out the jewelry master crafted or whatever, so I did it. Not sure on my mat cost, but it was still north of 1k per voucher.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, that writ is garbage. You can sell it, but the only people buying it are very ignorant of the math involved or those looking to sell it to those that are ignorant of the math involved. The material cost is greater than what you get in return, therefore, it's not just worthless, it's of negative worth. You lose money by crafting it.

Now, there are a few JC writs I've been holding on to. Any legendary for 400+ has some potential. Maybe not right now, but minor value fluctuations in materials could make it worth doing. However, the existence of legendary tier JC writs that reward 400+ means that those that reward 100, 200 or even 300 will always be worse.

I've also been hoarding epic JC writs in the 100 range for the same reasons. They are "almost" worth doing currently and if zircon prices end up dropping, say by introducing a hireling perhaps, then they may be worth doing. Same issue here. The existence of epic tier JC writs for 100 means that those that reward 30, 50 or 70 will ALWAYS be a worse deal so not likely to ever be worth doing.
  • WIZZARD2K
    WIZZARD2K
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly the issue with JC writs- just taking up space for now.
    As a side note, I recommend the addon writworthy, it will do all that research and calculation for you and present the result in the tooltip.
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    WIZZARD2K wrote: »
    Exactly the issue with JC writs- just taking up space for now.
    As a side note, I recommend the addon writworthy, it will do all that research and calculation for you and present the result in the tooltip.

thx vm for the info.
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When I get a master jewelry crafting writ (and I’ve gotten quite a few of these) I hit /DESTROY. Not worth it to make them and you can’t sell them. Hell, you can’t even give them away. I like the Summerset expansion, but anyone who bought it mainly for jewelry crafting sure got ripped off.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have beautifully shown why jewelry master writs are still garbage. The system they put in for upgrade mats means that crafted jewelry is out of reach of most of the player base, and will be for years. The only value in Jewelry Crafting having been introduced to the game is the ability to transmute traits on dropped pieces.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    I am foraging & doing daily writs including Jewellery and slowly building up supplies of the Jewellery mats but the returns are so low that even with the reduced numbers of platings to improve stuff the Jewellery writs are a wast of time and resources.

I am just dumping my Jewellery writs into one of my guild banks a\s they are no use to me.

Trying to do them by buying the mats (as illustrated above) is a crazy and money losing concept even with the inflated number of chits you get rewarded with.

In a few years I may have scraped up enough resources to gold the jewellery that my characters use.

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah... ZoS kind of messed up with JC master writs. They lowered the crafting cost of upgrade mats, doubled the vouchers recieved, and seem to give out more JC Master writs than the other master writs, but you have the problem of cost. They also locked themselves into the system they created because if they made plates more common, people holding those 400 voucher writs waiting for a change would flood the market with voucher purchasable items. They could do something like make it take 7 grains to make a plate or make you get 2 or 3 plates for 10 grains, but I don't see any great solution to this problem on the horizon.
    Starfire Protocol lvl 50 NB Redmage healer - Main + Master Crafter
    Gives Good Heed lvl 50 Warden Super Buff Healer
    Crafty Smyth lvl 50 Stamblade Poison Assassin - Farmer
    Everyon's Pal Adin lvl 44 Templar Splash Healer
    Stands Against Danger lvl 16 DK Tank -ex mule
    Matriarch Tamer lvl 18 Baby Sorc Healer
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have destroyed all jewelry writs i have got on different toons since jewelry crafting came out, except one what was worth 461 vouchers, i sold it for a good price and it was the only writ i have sold.

Jewelry writs need a revamp.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, that writ is garbage. You can sell it, but the only people buying it are very ignorant of the math involved or those looking to sell it to those that are ignorant of the math involved.

You are missing the people that have no problem with math and buy those writs dirt cheap right now so they can make a huge profit once JC becomes more accessible and prices for those writs will rise significantly.
    shades.gif
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that writ is garbage. You can sell it, but the only people buying it are very ignorant of the math involved or those looking to sell it to those that are ignorant of the math involved.

You are missing the people that have no problem with math and buy those writs dirt cheap right now so they can make a huge profit once JC becomes more accessible and prices for those writs will rise significantly.
    shades.gif

The problem with that is there are a few things working against it.

1. The last time ZOS did any rebalancing to JC writs, they added the adjustments to newly dropped writs and left the old ones to rot. Another change may lead to the same situation or it may not.

2. Different writs within the same tier have wildly differing values. Epic can range from 30 - 110 and legendary from 90 - 450+ The epic 110 range will likely become desirable first. If you have access to 110 vouchers for the same cost investment as 30 vouchers, you would have to be one of those bad math people I described above if you choose to do any 30's. I do agree that the higher end writs within those 2 tiers will likely become doable soonish, but their existence voids the usefulness of any that are of significantly lower value in the same tier.

3. The values for JC mats are currently about as stable as they will be for some time, at least until something changes. ZOS could adjust the numbers again as far as platings required, or they may add a hireling at some point or maybe drop rates could change. The point is, some change needs to happen for values to change much now. We are fairly stable currently.

4. There are a lot of JC master writs out there. Due to the way they drop, pretty much only trait research increases your odds of a drop and it increases it a significant amount. If there comes a time when I want to do JC master writs, I can probably do just fine off the ones I pull and still have many, many extras left. Not everyone will be in this situation, but there is a massive supply now and little demand. Even if the demand increases, there is still a lot of these in the system and more added daily.
    Edited by redspecter23 on October 12, 2018 12:02AM
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I stopped with jewellery. It was the only reason that I got Summerset.
    i wasted my money.