Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How much Impen for no-CP BGs

Sleezly
Sleezly
✭✭✭
Looking for opinions on no-CP BGs when using 7 tri-stat glyphs with purple food on a semi-hybrid build. Hence, extra resources all around would be nice but crit-resist is just too important to ignore.

Would it be better to go 5/2 impen/infused or a full 7 impen? Would the extra crit resist for the final two pieces make that big of a difference in terms of crit damage mitigation?

Looking to be tanky but resources are a luxury in no-CP as well.
Edited by Sleezly on October 7, 2018 5:54PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to put a silver bullet number on it. I have multiple no-CP non-shield builds that I run 0 impen and it works alright, but I do it at the risk of occasionally exploding in an instant.

Honestly the ideal would be 7 impen but as you said other needed stats are in rare supply in noCP.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few variables to the answer.

Maths wise, In case you didn't know ~3300 Crit resist is 50% Crit mitigation, 50% being base Crit. Obviously there's no elfborn CP in BG bumping it but other things can, NB, trap, etc etc

At 250ish impen an armour piece you hitting 1250 on 5 bits. So still getting Crit for about 30% damage
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Sleezly
    Sleezly
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight, folks. Maybe the happy medium here is 6 pieces of impen for a ~45% crit resist...

With shields able to be crit against in the upcoming update, it would seem a lot more folks will run crit builds in no-CP so even sorcs will probably want to move away from divine/infused to impen.
  • Delimber
    Delimber
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using the Impregnable Armor set with Bone Pirate. Gold quality Impregnable Armor gives 1206 Health, 1096 Stam and Magic, and 2500 Crit resist.

It works for my stam Warden. And I do believe there is the equivalent of Bone Pirate for magic users coming in the next update.
    Solo PvP and PvE most of the time.
    CP 2300+
  • tunepunk
    tunepunk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using 0 impen gear. Mainly because i don't wanna bother chasing down and changing gear all the time depending on what I'm doing alright though. 1v1 or 1v2 i can usually handle but if everyone is targetting you doesn't matter how much impen you have.

I find that using infused weapon on defensive bar with glyph of hardening works better than impen.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 impen, 1 infused, 2 Reinforced.

Works for me most of the time

And that's on. 5light, 1 med, 1heavy
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SugaComa wrote: »

What pieces do you put the reinforced on?

Asking for a friend..
    Edited by ChunkyCat on October 11, 2018 10:01AM
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    impen is so overrated in noncp environment, rather go reinforced or infused on heavy armor or well fitted on medium is gonna mitigate way more than that impen piece (if reinforced then chest > legs > everything else)
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    SugaComa wrote: »

What pieces do you put the reinforced on?

Asking for a friend..

You would want it on a heavy chest for sure, since it has the highest armor. After that, head, legs, shoulders and boots are all equivalent. If doing a second piece it should be one of these 4, and be the medium armor piece.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reinforced on a gold-quality heavy chest is a mere 2772*0.16 = 443. That's a measly 0.67% mitigation. Impen on the other hand would provide a whopping 3.9% mitigation towards crits.

Now these are just absolute values, not taking your existing resists/impen as a baseline for comparison (as these will vary from build to build), but you can realistically expect actual values of something like 1% vs. 3% respectively in practice. Which means impen is STILL providing more overall defence when your enemy has ~33% crit or lower higher, despite only applying to crits.

But you also have to consider the practical value of crit resistance. An extra 1% general mitigation (from reinforced) against light attacks and spammables is inconsequential, because you wouldn't have died to these in either case. It's the big, lined-up crit bursts that kill you, and impen will save you ass from those. It's hard to quantify this value numerically, but impen is far, far better in practice.

If your choice is strictly between impen & reinforced—even on a heavy chest—go with the impen. Resistances can be obtained much more cost-efficiently from heavy armor passive or the protective jewelry trait.

EDIT: 33% crit or higher
    Edited by TheYKcid on November 2, 2018 6:07PM
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • Rizz_the_Filthy_Dino
    As a Warden healer, I currently run 5 heavy, 1 medium, and 1 light. I run Bogdans / Seducers / and Transmutation. All of of my gear is impenetrable, and it's all gold (except Transmutation jewelry and Bogdans).

Most competent healers in BG's will run Transmutation which gives you pretty nigh 100% 1200~1300 critical resists, making impregnable more of a solo queue armor. My team in BG's I run regularly with doesn't need impregnable because when you couple impregnable with transmutation's buff, you're way over the soft cap of like 3500 crit resists.

Impregnable is a solid PvP armor type although!
    PC-NA
  • elijafire
    elijafire
    ✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    It's hard to put a silver bullet number on it. I have multiple no-CP non-shield builds that I run 0 impen and it works alright, but I do it at the risk of occasionally exploding in an instant.

Honestly the ideal would be 7 impen but as you said other needed stats are in rare supply in noCP.

LOL what's a "silver bullet number".
    Sleezly wrote: »
    Looking for opinions on no-CP BGs when using 7 tri-stat glyphs with purple food on a semi-hybrid build. Hence, extra resources all around would be nice but crit-resist is just too important to ignore.

Would it be better to go 5/2 impen/infused or a full 7 impen? Would the extra crit resist for the final two pieces make that big of a difference in terms of crit damage mitigation?

Looking to be tanky but resources are a luxury in no-CP as well.

Zero Impen. Infused and tri stat on head, legs and chest divines on the rest.

E
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All impen unless you use impregnable armor is what I do. Even then, in no-CP impregnable armor isn’t that great because it’s stats light. You’ll have more success running all impen and a better set.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So NBs and Templars have an additional 10% crit damage, khajiit is another 10%, shadow is (I know it was 20%) whatever value it's at now lol, and you have minor force (10% more yes?)

So some builds in no CP BG a massive crit modifier, almost doubling their damage. Someone with no crit mods has 50% crit damage.

What I'm getting at is; with full impen in no CP some players can still nuke you; however without any impen everyone can nuke you.

Go full impen, even if you don't notice a difference against an NB blowing you up, you'll notice the difference against say a Warden not blowing you up
    Edited by Waffennacht on July 4, 2019 6:13PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People with zero impen must be the people who I feel a little guilty about killing so fast. Well-fitted is fine if you're running impreg, if not, impen on everything.
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    People with zero impen must be the people who I feel a little guilty about killing so fast. Well-fitted is fine if you're running impreg, if not, impen on everything.

It’s the people who’re 810 but on the other end of 1vX videos.

YOLO, power to them if that’s their thing, playing at a disadvantage can be fun.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Necro.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raasdal wrote: »
    Nice Necro.
    Quick, someone snare the Blastbones.
  • Sleezly
    Sleezly
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks. Love the necro.

But regardless I’ve got to agree that full impen is the way to go. Has been since 2018 and still is today.
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all divines and infused gear on my lowbie and been doing well in bgs. Its not necessarily needed.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    I have all divines and infused gear on my lowbie and been doing well in bgs. Its not necessarily needed.

You can go in sub-50's in training gear and smack, most players in there aren't even geared in sets, they're in mob looted blues and have no idea what's up - The second you go into a real BG or your MMR get's pushed a tiny bit you're going to have a bad time.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, it’s at 50 where people unlock the skill trees and sets that give crit.

Sub-50 just have fun, at 50 1805 crit resists min (all impen). It’s really too bad they didn’t add a crit resists mundus to help new pvpers transition to pvp at 50. Maybe they’ll add it in the future.

1805 crit resists reduces crits by only 25%. NBs using minor force and the shadow mundus can hit 93% crit modifier. You just merc new players like crazy.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair