The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

critting

rumple9
rumple9
✭✭✭✭✭
Crafting should be able to crit. This is a mechanic that was used in Lotro. For example if upgrading a green item there would be a chance it turns out purple. Or when deconning an item there would be a chance of getting gold mats
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    They had something like this in FF14. You had to do a mini-game to upgrade materials and gear and sometimes you could crit and end with a higher score because of it.
    Starfire Protocol lvl 50 NB Redmage healer - Main + Master Crafter
    Gives Good Heed lvl 50 Warden Super Buff Healer
    Crafty Smyth lvl 50 Stamblade Poison Assassin - Farmer
    Everyon's Pal Adin lvl 44 Templar Splash Healer
    Stands Against Danger lvl 16 DK Tank -ex mule
    Matriarch Tamer lvl 18 Baby Sorc Healer
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All we get is a chance to fail. Does anybody actually take the risk, and use less mats?
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    They set that system up all wrong. What they should have done was set it up so that it gives you a chance of failure, but in the long run, it costs less mats if you take the chance.

For example if you are using 4 mats, right now each mat gives you a 25% chance to upgrade. It is pointless to do anything less than 100% percent because if you did 1000 upgrades at 3 mats each, you would still have to spend an average of 4000 mats to get those upgrades. You'd then also loose all the materials from the 25% of the times you failed. There is no advantage to people who do a ton of crafting and really not much of an advantage to people who do fairly little. I think the percentages should probably look more like

2 mats

1- 75%
    2 - 100%

3 Mats

1- 66%
    2 - 90%
    3 - 100%

4 mats

1- 50%
    2 - 80%
    3 -90%
    4 -100%

8 mats

1- 33%
    2 55%
    3 -70%
    4 - 80%
    5 - 90%
    6- 95%
    7 - 99%
    8 100%
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you start making a knife and by accident you craft 14 damn things?
    Im sorry, but that is just stupid.
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭

What on earth are you talking about?
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    db0ssman wrote: »

What on earth are you talking about?

critting in crafting of any sort.
  • db0ssman
    db0ssman
    ✭✭✭
    OP just meant that sometimes when you upgrade an item, it sometimes upgrades 2 levels instead of 1, kind of like a crit. I don't think they mean it will suddenly make like 17 when you want one.
  • Greysson
    Greysson
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe, in case of upgrading, let a crit cost less materials.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is my first MMO, so maybe I'm not in a good position to chime in here, but...

This makes no sense to me. How do you get lucky enough to decon a purple item, and get it to poop out a gold upgrade material? How would I be able to magically, accidentally upgrade an item to purple using only blue stuff to do it?

If you'd have suggested that the number of Inspiration points you get from crafting/deconning an item should be able to crit at X% chance for X% more Inspiration gain, I might have been able to get onboard with that. But the whole tier jumping idea seems a bridge too far, for me at least.
  • msetten
    msetten
    ✭✭✭✭
    db0ssman wrote: »
    They had something like this in FF14. You had to do a mini-game to upgrade materials and gear and sometimes you could crit and end with a higher score because of it.
    ghastley wrote: »
    All we get is a chance to fail. Does anybody actually take the risk, and use less mats?

I’ve actually set up a poll about this earlier: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439460/improvement-to-gold#latest
  • srmalloy
    srmalloy

It doesn't have to be handled that way; getting a crit while crafting could result in crafting the item while using fewer materials -- one less ingot or whatever, depending on the item being crafted -- or having the resulting item getting a quality boost -- making a green item instead of a white one, giving you a step up on improving it.

• StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srmalloy wrote: »

It doesn't have to be handled that way; getting a crit while crafting could result in crafting the item while using fewer materials -- one less ingot or whatever, depending on the item being crafted -- or having the resulting item getting a quality boost -- making a green item instead of a white one, giving you a step up on improving it.

Imagine crafting for gold. You send someone required mats list and he says that if u r worth anything as crafter u will crit a lot and u should get less mats for ur crafts. There is zero need for such system.

Process of crafting should not be affected by RNG.
    Edited by StamWhipCultist on October 7, 2018 7:29PM
  • srmalloy
    srmalloy

Imagine crafting for gold. You send someone required mats list and he says that if u r worth anything as crafter u will crit a lot and u should get less mats for ur crafts. There is zero need for such system.

I wasn't suggesting that such a change be made; I was pointing out that a "Look -- you got a crit, so you made more of what you were intending to make!" crit system wasn't the only way to handle it. The coarseness of the material requirements, though, argue directly against a material-refund crit system -- even if the percentage chance to get a crit is the same, getting one ingot back is a much bigger reward when you're making a sword that requires four ingots versus one that requires 12, and there's no way to make that even across different levels of gear. The upgrade from white to green, though, is an even reward regardless of level, although it would be necessary to make the chance both low and unimprovable to prevent it from being relied on.

• msetten
    msetten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using fewer material than normally required when critting would be the best solution in my opinion. Imagine that you have a master writ that requires an epic (purple) item and while improving it crits and get gold. Then you can start again.
  • StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't suggesting that such a change be made; I was pointing out that a "Look -- you got a crit, so you made more of what you were intending to make!" crit system wasn't the only way to handle it. The coarseness of the material requirements, though, argue directly against a material-refund crit system -- even if the percentage chance to get a crit is the same, getting one ingot back is a much bigger reward when you're making a sword that requires four ingots versus one that requires 12, and there's no way to make that even across different levels of gear. The upgrade from white to green, though, is an even reward regardless of level, although it would be necessary to make the chance both low and unimprovable to prevent it from being relied on.

And then you get master writ to craft purple stuff but it critted to gold and now u cant use it to get writ vouchers. lol.
  • johnbonne
    johnbonne
    ✭✭✭
    Greysson wrote: »
    Or maybe, in case of upgrading, let a crit cost less materials.

This I would far prefer. I've seen how these "crits" have split the WoW community when it comes to loot; some like Warforging/Titanforging (the idea that when one loots an item it has a random undisclosed chance of upgrading) because it's a pleasant surprise, and others hate it because people can out-perform them because of pure luck.

Now I don't know how important crafting is at higher levels, or how much randomness there is in high-end group content, so I couldn't speak to whether or not luck would do more bad than good. I think at lower levels it's safe to ask "who cares?", and those who do are probably those who want an extra jolt of energy in their levelling experience (players whom in all games I advocate for). I have to praise ESO for the amount of certainty there is, and I don't want it to rely too much on rolling the digital bones.

Greysson's idea is far more attractive, in my opinion. You're not getting more power out of an item, but you're spending less material to be on par with others. As far as I can see, that puts everyone on an - if not even - agreeable playing field.
    "A question requires an answer, a set of facts has only a result. An answer raises further questions, but a result is indisputable." - Imperial Commander Ryland Kline, Warhammer Siege
    PC EU
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is my favorite insane idea ever.

I want a robust and varied crit table for crafting.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with getting a free upgrade on a crit is that the daily writs (most of the crafting for some folks) requires a white, not a green or higher. You want exactly what you're trying to make, and not a random item. This proposal is just a different way to fail.
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Are you serious?!"

lol, "no, just critting."
    PS4 NA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because one would like crit to be part of crafting does not mean it should.

There are great aspects of crafting from many games and ESO certainly has great aspects of their craftring. For upgrading we have a great system in ESO as well as the ability to get gold mats when deconning gold gear.

Further, If zos made the changes OP suggested it would merely mean Zos would reduce the chance to get the same matts from other sources so in the end the change would be irrelevant. Anyone who disagrees with that has not paid attention to what Zos has done when they added new sources of gold upgrade matts.