The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Cost of sorc ward

Irylia
Irylia
✭✭✭✭✭
Now that we have a cap on how big our ward can be and it is also affected by crits/resistances.
Can we see a cost reduction on the skill seeing as all it does it provide a capped ward with minimal other effects.

Or tag minor protection onto the skill if the cost has to stay the same.

• citats
    citats
    ✭✭✭
    Sure decrease the upfront cost, but each time a shield is recasted within 4 seconds of a previous shield cast, increase the cost by 50%. This would put shield spamming on par with dodge roll spamming.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    citats wrote: »
    Sure decrease the upfront cost, but each time a shield is recasted within 4 seconds of a previous shield cast, increase the cost by 50%. This would put shield spamming on par with dodge roll spamming.

Please. Take a good look at the sorc' skill lines and tell me exactly how much many of those abilities are spammable without penalty.

I'll give you a clue..:
    Shield
    Pet heals
    That root that nobody uses

Err....

Why is the answer to everything sorc 'make it unspammable'?
    Edited by Biro123 on October 9, 2018 5:39PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    Now that we have a cap on how big our ward can be and it is also affected by crits/resistances.
    Can we see a cost reduction on the skill seeing as all it does it provide a capped ward with minimal other effects.

Or tag minor protection onto the skill if the cost has to stay the same.

The shield size itself should remain unchanged in pvp, and in pve they needed an adjustment.

Crits is certainly a nerf, but the lowest resistances can be is a null effect, and far more probably a net gain in defense. If you spec into crit resist like most do, you'll see this balances out relatively nicely as a slap on the wrists for wards.

Sorry, I do not agree with you.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree purely on the notion that harness sustain still did not get adressed.

If that should ever happen something has to be added to hardened/empowered - or the cost has to be reduced.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    I disagree purely on the notion that harness sustain still did not get adressed.

If that should ever happen something has to be added to hardened/empowered - or the cost has to be reduced.

Harness got addressed. It was giving back way more resources then it should.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments like this show a poor understanding of how these skills actually function to mitigate damage.

Let’s assume that both are dirt cheap to cast, there is no stack cost, and your regen is sufficient to allow you to spam both ward and dodgeroll infinitely.

If you could do that with dodgeroll, you would be nearly immortal. You could roll right through zergs, laugh when out numbered 10 to 1, and escape any time you wanted to.

Now let’s do the same with a shield you can spam infinitiely. Instead of a Zerg, you are simply forced to fight 2 competent opponents. You are dead in 3...2... hopefully you get the point. These abilities aren’t even remotely equal. One scales when outnumbered and the other does not. One is a skill, the other is an inherent game function available to all. Stack cost would be more detrimental to Sorcs than the cast time would have been.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

Harness got addressed. It was giving back way more resources then it should.

It´s still a scaling resource mechanic and even on low end magica builds still refunds more than it costs from my brief examination on pts.

Tell me how it got adressed? Just because zos writes something into the patchnotes about doubledipping into light armor piece worn?
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have to look at the definition of "on par" again.

1) Shields mitigate an absolute amount of damage and as such have an upper limit, dodge roll does not
    2) Shields require the sacrifice of a bar slot to be able to use them
    3) Shields costs cannot be reduced via item traits
    4) Shields costs cannot be reduced via the CP system
    5) Shields cannot be woven with abilities like light attacks

And before you start "But shields can be increased in the CP system and dodge roll cannot". That's because dodge roll does not need adjustment for the increase in damage caused by the CP system - 100% mitigation is 0 damage taken, no matter if the original damage was 1 or 1,000,000.

I am sure I missed something, but you get the point.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd be down for both Light armor ward and Sorc ward to get a 5% cost reduction each
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Look sir, nightblade
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galarthor wrote: »

1) Shields mitigate an absolute amount of damage and as such have an upper limit, dodge roll does not

And before you start "But shields can be increased in the CP system and dodge roll cannot". That's because dodge roll does not need adjustment for the increase in damage caused by the CP system - 100% mitigation is 0 damage taken, no matter if the original damage was 1 or 1,000,000.

I think I get what you are saying in 5, but what you actually wrote is giving me pause. You can absolutely weave your shields with light attacks (light attacks arent abilities). What you cant do is use your shield to animation cancel ability like you can with dodge roll.

But yes, comparing these two are apples and oranges for sure.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think I get what you are saying in 5, but what you actually wrote is giving me pause. You can absolutely weave your shields with light attacks (light attacks arent abilities). What you cant do is use your shield to animation cancel ability like you can with dodge roll.

He's missing an important comma. "Shields cannot be woven with abilities, like light attacks" - would make clearer that the light attack portion is its own thing and doesn't belong to the mentioned shields part in this sense. Or even easier: "..., UNLIKE light attacks".
    Anyway.

He's right.
    Maybe shields shouldn't be weavable with attacks like Force Pulse. But they should ignore GCDs from breaking free. For example, when you get bursted and stunned, and you break free, and a potentially lethal execute (ESPECIALLY Executioner!) comes in:

- if you shield to defense, you suffer the GCD from break free, delaying the shield. The shield itself also takes a second to be considered active by the game. Execution will kill you. For Executioner, you can even see your resource bars drain through your shielded hp bar, as if you got snipe stacked. Because the game prioritizes your enemy's execution, NOT your shield. Fight me if you disagree, I've seen this BS wayyy too often.

- if you dodge after break free, and the execution is dodgable, you'll live. Because you can cancel the break free animation into a dodge, but not a shield. The game will also give your dodge priority: if enemy execution and your dodge were started at exactly the same time, you will always dodge it. Again, fight me if you disagree, but I'm sure you're experienced enough to know, maybe even subconsciously, that it's a dodge after break free that really ensures your survival in a critical situation.

What does that mean?
    It means that (shield) mag builds are further forced into using a foreign defense mechanic. Stam builds get a free pass, of course. But mages have to sacrifice even more of their limited resource they already need for break free and roots.
    This is not fair. It is faulty design. Why is one primary defense given all those priority advantages, and the other not?

So. In a fair, balanced game, shields would ignore break free GCD and get priority over executions there, like dodge. You would able to cancel an animation with them. Not weave, say FP-shield for attack+defense, but cancel FP or something with a channel/cast time to stop the animation, negate the skill's effect, but immediately apply the shield instead. And of course, shield would be active immediately, not after the second the game considers you to be in casting animation. It is a burst defense, after all, just like dodge.

But I don't dare asking for that, even though I have every right. The pure hate I would receive here from all the Whineblades would probably make me jump in front of a train.
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what you mean. Yes point 5) should have been more precise.
    I never said you can't weave your shields with light attacks. I said you cannot weave your shields with other abilities. And then it became ambiguous.

"Shields cannot used to animation cancel abilities like you can with dodge roll" would have been a better phrasing.

Should have paid more attention. Thx :)
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is just fine with the cost now. Yes i play sorc too as my main.
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭

Lord-Otto wrote: »

He's missing an important comma. "Shields cannot be woven with abilities, like light attacks" - would make clearer that the light attack portion is its own thing and doesn't belong to the mentioned shields part in this sense. Or even easier: "..., UNLIKE light attacks".
    Anyway.

He's right.
    Maybe shields shouldn't be weavable with attacks like Force Pulse. But they should ignore GCDs from breaking free. For example, when you get bursted and stunned, and you break free, and a potentially lethal execute (ESPECIALLY Executioner!) comes in:

- if you shield to defense, you suffer the GCD from break free, delaying the shield. The shield itself also takes a second to be considered active by the game. Execution will kill you. For Executioner, you can even see your resource bars drain through your shielded hp bar, as if you got snipe stacked. Because the game prioritizes your enemy's execution, NOT your shield. Fight me if you disagree, I've seen this BS wayyy too often.

- if you dodge after break free, and the execution is dodgable, you'll live. Because you can cancel the break free animation into a dodge, but not a shield. The game will also give your dodge priority: if enemy execution and your dodge were started at exactly the same time, you will always dodge it. Again, fight me if you disagree, but I'm sure you're experienced enough to know, maybe even subconsciously, that it's a dodge after break free that really ensures your survival in a critical situation.

What does that mean?
    It means that (shield) mag builds are further forced into using a foreign defense mechanic. Stam builds get a free pass, of course. But mages have to sacrifice even more of their limited resource they already need for break free and roots.
    This is not fair. It is faulty design. Why is one primary defense given all those priority advantages, and the other not?

So. In a fair, balanced game, shields would ignore break free GCD and get priority over executions there, like dodge. You would able to cancel an animation with them. Not weave, say FP-shield for attack+defense, but cancel FP or something with a channel/cast time to stop the animation, negate the skill's effect, but immediately apply the shield instead. And of course, shield would be active immediately, not after the second the game considers you to be in casting animation. It is a burst defense, after all, just like dodge.

But I don't dare asking for that, even though I have every right. The pure hate I would receive here from all the Whineblades would probably make me jump in front of a train.

It’s funny how you guys assume you’re playing the poor underdog class (most played one lol) who gets an uneven treatment every time without looking at the bigger picture.

1• roll dodge is not a skill. Comparing the two is dumb

2• dodge roll works that way because how different are the survival mechanics. After a burst rolling is the only way to survive as a stamina because most of the time rally is not charged enough and Vigor is a hot. Meanwhile classes that relies on active skills usually have a burst heal or a shield,meaning that they can survive the executioner phase easier.

2• If you’re having so much problem with the GCD try blocking into a shield. Or casting preemptive shields. You know,like every other class preemptive defense....oh wait
    Edited by Ocelot9x on October 12, 2018 1:52PM
  • Sygil05
    Sygil05
    ✭✭✭
    Ocelot9x wrote: »

Anyway.

He's right.

What does that mean?

It’s funny how you guys assume you’re playing the poor underdog class (most played one lol) who gets an uneven treatment every time without looking at the bigger picture.

2• dodge roll works that way because how different are the survival mechanics. After a burst rolling is the only way to survive as a stamina because most of the time rally is not charged enough and Vigor is a hot. Meanwhile classes that relies on active skills usually have a burst heal or a shield,meaning that they can survive the executioner phase easier.

2• If you’re having so much problem with the GCD try blocking into a shield. Or casting preemptive shields. You know,like every other class preemptive defense....oh wait

Great idea, except that in a real fight with someone that knows what they're doing, we would have been run out of stam and the burst would have already eaten the entire shield.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The more I think about it, the more I think its the cost of other abilities that need to drop.

Sorc has soo many unspammable abilities in its toolkit - which are expensive *because* in theory, its ok to have the odd expensive non-spammable ability, and they were strong, once upon a time.

In reality, they have been nerfed to high heaven, and the sheer amount of non-spammables, for sorc doesn't just mean using the odd one - it means rotating a whole bunch of different, expensive un-spammables.
    All this still makes light-armour mandatory - and because magsorcs have always had their sustain issues made manageable by light-armour - their severity has been quite well-hidden

Imho, we need to see cost-reductions on:
    Mines
    Frag(hard-cast)
    Boundless
    Encase
    Surge
    Rune Prison
    Streak (or reduce the cost increase % significantly)

And heavy armour may actually become viable. (Remember all our current light armour builds benefit from 15% cost reduction and 20% mag recov - more for 7-pieces).

Almost all of these have become weaker over time - but their cost has stayed high.. I mean:
    Mines - so much immov making the cc not work - and the tank meta just eating them up
    Frags lost both damage and stun
    Boundless taking a big exped duration nerf in murkmire
    Encase - soo much snare/root immunity now makes it weak
    Surge heals don't scale - so years of power-creep everywhere else haven't touched it
    Prison - lol.. was buffed -and had its cost buffed with it - then nerfed to hell, and left the high cost.
    Streak once had a longer range, didn't freeze you, and didn't have cost increase.. But this was before speed-pots and swift were a thing - which trumped it by far.

Edited by Biro123 on October 12, 2018 3:10PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ocelot9x wrote: »

Anyway.

He's right.

What does that mean?

1. It's better, even, it doesn't require a skill slot. Or THREE, for shields. Thanks for reminding me, pal!

2. Except shields are down after burst, and then you're oneshot... Because we have no HoTs ticking to save us.

3. You mean, the pre-emptive, self-expiring shields? That won't mitigate with block?

Yeah, you proved my point.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what you mean. Yes point 5) should have been more precise.
    I never said you can't weave your shields with light attacks. I said you cannot weave your shields with other abilities. And then it became ambiguous.

"Shields cannot used to animation cancel abilities like you can with dodge roll" would have been a better phrasing.

Should have paid more attention. Thx :)

Sorry to be the grammar police, was 90% sure I was getting what you were saying. Haha
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resistance was placed before the shield comes into play effectively reducing the size of the nerf. Zos also changed the order of where the health cap and battle spirit come into play which significantly reduces the nerf in PvP making this more of a PvE nerf.

So in effect, very doubtful the cost will be reduced.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I think its the cost of other abilities that need to drop.

Sorc has soo many unspammable abilities in its toolkit - which are expensive *because* in theory, its ok to have the odd expensive non-spammable ability, and they were strong, once upon a time.

In reality, they have been nerfed to high heaven, and the sheer amount of non-spammables, for sorc doesn't just mean using the odd one - it means rotating a whole bunch of different, expensive un-spammables.
    All this still makes light-armour mandatory - and because magsorcs have always had their sustain issues made manageable by light-armour - their severity has been quite well-hidden

Imho, we need to see cost-reductions on:
    Mines
    Frag(hard-cast)
    Boundless
    Encase
    Surge
    Rune Prison
    Streak (or reduce the cost increase % significantly)

And heavy armour may actually become viable. (Remember all our current light armour builds benefit from 15% cost reduction and 20% mag recov - more for 7-pieces).

Almost all of these have become weaker over time - but their cost has stayed high.. I mean:
    Mines - so much immov making the cc not work - and the tank meta just eating them up
    Frags lost both damage and stun
    Boundless taking a big exped duration nerf in murkmire
    Encase - soo much snare/root immunity now makes it weak
    Surge heals don't scale - so years of power-creep everywhere else haven't touched it
    Prison - lol.. was buffed -and had its cost buffed with it - then nerfed to hell, and left the high cost.
    Streak once had a longer range, didn't freeze you, and didn't have cost increase.. But this was before speed-pots and swift were a thing - which trumped it by far.

Lets also not forget that a sorc couldnt possibly fit all those skills on their bar. Who the F has room for Mines and Encase, especially after the OL nerf. It takes at least 4-5 bar spots of damage/CC abilities just to secure a kill, and only 1 out of the 7 skills you listed is part of that. It takes a minium of 2 shields to stay alive. So basically you have 3 bar spots for surge (do you want any sort of heal), Streak (do you want any mobility), Boundless (do you want any resistance), Dark Conversion ( do you want any sustain). At least one of those wont make your bar, let alone some of the other skills like mines or encase. If you run pets, well the problem is even worse. Sorcs have by far the most cramped bars of any class, and yes, I play them all. Their skills are one trick ponies, and almost completely absent of any major buffs and debuffs.

Frags needs a stun, Streak needs to be reverted to its former self, and surge heals need to scale. Do that, and sorc becomes viable again. Wait, what were we talking about?
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, by itself I think its quite a weak ability. Just a plain shield, Its only because it can be stacked with other shields (and then allows you to get their effects like harness's super strong mag return or healward heal fully) that makes its useful.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.