Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Roleplaying vs Sandboxing

stitchesofdooom
stitchesofdooom
✭✭✭✭
Okay, so in Fallout 4 (slightly off topic, I know, but there's a point) I have complained in forums about the lack of roleplay and there's always some idiot that tells me that building settlements IS roleplaying.

You're not "roleplaying": you're SANDBOXING.

I see a thread about "roleplaying as a master assassin" and... well, you can't really. There are no assassin options in quests, the dark brotherhood questline is too short and you have to grind "radiants" to get at the proper content.

Stop making your own fun and tell Bethesda/Zenimax etc that you want more proper content. Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood should have proper side quests, not endless "radiant" junk quests. Do not settle for sandboxing when you should be demanding more proper quests.

Now ESO is more true to Elder Scrolls than Fallout 4 and 76 are to Fallout. And the Psijic order "side quests" were an improvement on leveling up TG and DB so Zen seems to have learned, but there needs to be more main and side quests. Espacially with all the money Zen and Beth are raking in.
Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
PCMR EU.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you want true roleplaying you need to play an actual tabletop RPG or do player only written content in an MMO.

Questing and storylines in games have to have limits and MMO games generally have weaker repeatable content because it's faster to produce. I would love to see more TG/DB content developed by ZOS but I don't think they could produce new (and interesting) side quests for these in addition to the other updates they're doing.

Also let's not tell people to stop having fun, if someone can make their own fun from this game it's very much working as intended.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I say I roleplay as my Dark Brotherhood Silencer, I mean that Im doing the overland quests through her persona. That Divayth Fyr wanted a bodyguard for Clockwork City and he chose one of the most lethal people he could find. That someone performed the Black sacrament on Aldarch Tilcalar and now she's neck deep in saving Summerset because she's already beat the Triad's plan once before and the Psijic Order can't handle it (and its a chance to steal from places she never thought she'd have access to.)

ESO isn't ever going to let me customize those quests for real, that has to happen in my inagination. I'm okay with that! Because I can role play as my Silencer off of the base quests, I can also role play as my war-weary Cyrodiil veteran Altmer who wants peace but has to dig deep to save her homeland. Or as my Vestige, who was taking a vacation incognito to Summerset and is continually frustrated in her attempts to sightsee by having everyone need her to solve their problems.

I get the desire for more detailed quests, but Ive always used quests, whether Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind or ESO as the template onto which I imprint my character's personality and reactions through my imagination. That's how I role play, and it makes for a rich, repeatable experience for me.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bethesda, and really no major MMORPG publisher, will make questing so it will fit every possible RP desire. That is just unreasonable on many levels which should be obvious.

I think OP sees something where it is not but that is besides the point.

Serious RP players create their own stories and RP them out with other RP players. This is done similar to table top games and requires players with good imagination just like it is required for good table top RP.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm talking more about skill checks. You max level DB? Option to intimidate or stab NPC in the face, that sorta thing
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm talking more about skill checks. You max level DB? Option to intimidate or stab NPC in the face, that sorta thing

So something closer to the Fighters And Mages guild Intimidate/Persuade passives?

That has potential. It would be fun to have unlockable options tied to titles or achievements.

In Skyrim, when you go to Sovngarde you have the option for dialogue that unlocks based on your factions. You can tell Tsun you are archmage, and he's like "The clever craft is cool!" But if you are like "I'm the Listener" he's like "Ugh, well, I suppose I have to let you fulfill your destiny."

I may on occasion, have the very strong desire to have my Vestige say something like "Look, Villain of the Week, I defeated Manninarco and Molag Bal. You are small potatoes compared to that. You can surrender now if you like or we can get on with the part where we fight and I kill you, but don't patronize me. I'm the effing Vestige."

As it is, I totally say that, just in my imagination instead of in game.
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 4, 2018 3:49PM
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

So something closer to the Fighters And Mages guild Intimidate/Persuade passives?

That has potential. It would be fun to have unlockable options tied to titles or achievements.

In Skyrim, when you go to Sovngarde you have the option for dialogue that unlocks based on your factions. You can tell Tsun you are archmage, and he's like "The clever craft is cool!" But if you are like "I'm the Listener" he's like "Ugh, well, I suppose I have to let you fulfill your destiny."

I may on occasion, have the very strong desire to have my Vestige say something like "Look, Villain of the Week, I defeated Manninarco and Molag Bal. You are small potatoes compared to that. You can surrender now if you like or we can get on with the part where we fight and I kill you, but don't patronize me. I'm the effing Vestige."

As it is, I totally say that, just in my imagination instead of in game.

yeah. Being that the last Beth/Zen "innovation" was sticking "radiant" junk quests and base building into what should have been an RPG... I think a little positive innovation is called for now. They could do a good innovation if they tried.
    PCMR EU.
  • icebladess
    icebladess
    ✭✭
    I use to help run an assassin type guild that did assassin type player run quests. I miss that. Guild fall apart cause someone raided the guild bank. This was before the brotherhood came out.
    Edited by icebladess on October 3, 2018 3:04AM