The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

2013 Macbook Air - Error 104 Not enough Disk Space

mrbill317
mrbill317
I have 83gb free and the launcher still only reports 40gb when running Install_ESO.
Time Machine isn't running , only backed up to an external drive anyways.

Any ideas?
  • mrbill317
    mrbill317
    Ok this seems to have resolved itself when I downloaded a new Install_ESO.dmg.
    They must have modified the patcher.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mrbill317 wrote: »
    Ok this seems to have resolved itself when I downloaded a new Install_ESO.dmg.
    They must have modified the patcher.
    I think you are getting the Install from the PTS account not the normal (ex Beta) ESO account because there is a newer version/ type of installer from the normal Account Mac client link which is Install_ESO.zip;
    http://elderscrolls-a.akamaihd.net/products/BNA_Launcher/Install_ESO.zip

The Install_ESO.dmg was the older one though it is still the link on the PTS account page (down atm so I can't confirm)

I suggest you get the later one from the normal account page. Unless you put .dmg instead of .zip which is understandable on a Mac ;)
  • samnova
    samnova
    fdpxwboosi9c.png
    I just downloaded the install_ESO.zip, this installer says I have 48 GB free but in finder I have 95 GB free, I just copied a lot of stuff away to external hard drive (around 70 GB), so I do have the space available. Any suggestions?

(See screenshot)
    Edited by samnova on April 4, 2014 3:37PM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    samnova wrote: »
    I just downloaded the install_ESO.zip, this installer says I have 48 GB free but in finder I have 95 GB free, I just copied a lot of stuff away to external hard drive (around 70 GB), so I do have the space available. Any suggestions?

It could be that the "local TimeMachine Backup" feature, which is enabled by default on all MacBooks, is stealing your volume space. The Finder is, of course, in on the conspiracy and reports much more free space than there really is.

WARNING! Following the instructions below makes you root (superuser) on your computer. Any typo, any wrong path, puts you at risk to lose your data PERMANENTLY! Always have a current backup!

Your account needs to have administrative rights, or you need to know the password of an administrative account on your computer for this to work.

Do the following:
    • open Terminal.app (either by browsing to /Applications/Utilities in the Finder, or by pressing [cmd]+[space], then entering "Terminal" in the search field and pressing [enter]
    • in the terminal window, type "sudo su -" and press [enter], then enter your administrative password. YOU ARE NOW ROOT!
    • type "cd /.MobileBackups/" and press [enter]
    • type "du -c -h" and press [enter]
    • after the command finished, you should see a line like "<number>M total" or "<number>G total". This is the amount of space the local TimeMachine backup needs on your disk, in megabytes or gigabytes, respectively.
    • if this amount is in the region of 47 GB (the difference between the 95 GB free reported by the Finder, and the 48 GB free reported by the launcher, you now know where your missing free space has gone
    • to remedy the situation, type "tmutil disablelocal" and press [enter]. You have now disabled the local TM backup feature. If you ever want to re-enable it, repeat the steps above, but type "tmutil enablelocal" instead.
    • close the terminal and reboot your machine
    • the launcher should now report enough free space to install the game

If you're not doing so already, you should consider to regularly backup your machine to an external TimeMachine drive, be it on an external HD or a NAS. Remember: all data that is not backed up is obsolete by definition.
  • samnova
    samnova
    Interesting, been working with OSX for many years now but this was new to me. But matter of fact, I moved 70 GB (Lord of the rings online, WOW and some WWDC movies) away from the internal HD today, thats why I got up from 15GB to 90 GB free storage.. But I guess that this data is still in the local version of the Time Machine (actually, total 90 GB).
    I did a df -h and got

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2 233Gi 185Gi 48Gi 80% 48527330 12542110 79% /

So let me try your tip :-)

PS we do make TimeMachine backups to a drive at work ;-)
    Edited by samnova on April 4, 2014 7:53PM
  • mobrady
    mobrady
    I seem to be having the same issue but when i open terminal and typed the sudo su- command it asked me for password, when i entered the password it seemed to accept it, warned me about root damage and then didn't recognize any of the other commands except the one that told me the total (18G) my time machine needed to backup...so the disable command didn't work nor did the sudo su- or others after i put in my password, only the one to get the totals..i have a macbook air with just over 60G free, the client is still saying i need to free up 60G to get farther and its really got my irish up >:/
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mobrady wrote: »
    i have a macbook air with just over 60G free, the client is still saying i need to free up 60G to get farther and its really got my irish up >:/
    "Just over" may not be enough. The computer needs around 15% to allow for overheads. Trying to install close to the limit can cause issues. And check the pst above regarding TimeMachine.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @mobrady‌,

if you follow the steps above, until after the directory change to /.MobileBackups, does your prompt look like this?

<hostname>:.MobileBackups root#

If it does, you should be able to stat the disk usage with du, and to switch off the local TimeMachine backups using tmutil disablelocal. The command has been with OS X since 10.7 (Lion), which is the minimum system requirement for ESO. Try using "/usr/bin/tmutil disablelocal" if the command is not found (this would mean your PATH has somehow become borked, which would be very odd).

If you see your command prompt ending in "$", you're not root, and tmutil will tell you that disablelocal requires root privileges.