The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PLEASE HELP - Can't install game, launcher/installer won't work?

melodicmelody
Hi guys, so let me explain the situation and I'm depending on your computer skills to help me out here.
I have a 10.8.5 Mac 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB.
Basically what happens is, I click on the ESO Installer, it takes me through the terms of agreement, gets to the installing part, and after it installs the launcher it quits out suddenly. It makes me have "The Elder Scrolls Online" on my desktop (the launcher) so when I click on the launcher, this happens: http://imgur.com/sM8oj9k
As you can see, it freezes halfway and the rest of the screen is black. It says it's "Not responding". I'm assuming this is because the installer itself never installed the game/didn't install the launcher properly? I tried deleting it and installing it again but I get the same problem.
Can anyone PLEASE help? I just bought this game and really don't want it to be a waste of 60 bucks :/
We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    If it is just the launcher doing this what I would do is:

Repair Disk Permissions -> Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
    Verify/Repair Disk while your there
    Delete the ESO Installer (and Launcher)
    Check to see if it installed anything in your User/Documents folder - if so delete this as well - this folder would be named Elder Scrolls Online
    Restart your computer
    Download the ESO Installer again and relaunch it
    Probably overkill but...
    Edited by SilentVigil on April 4, 2014 2:43AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest to delete anything it installed i.e. the Launcher and the ESO_Installer you downloaded too. Redownload a fresh one from the Account page (this is a newer one to one that was used previously in Beta so get this ESO_Installer.zip)

Next Shutdown you Mac. Reboot and follow the instructions as before.

What should happen once you confirm region etc. in settings is to close itslef and the Launcher should auto launch and be ready to Install. It seems stuck on this part but try the above and see if it helps.

It is a Java process the install and you will see the Installer bounce in the Dock while you install the Launcher and also a small java icon. This is normal and doesn't or shouldn't require any other applications or download (The java is self contained in the Installer)

Hopefully it was just a problem with the download and the reboot can help clear issues sometimes itself.

Try this and post back if it doesn't end with the Launcher ready.

• melodicmelody
    Followed all the instructions, no luck. My driver is updated, I verified my disk, firewall is down, deleted everything/reinstalled via account page. :/ The installer shuts down when I confirm my disk space, then it shows it downloading the launcher, gets to 100% and shuts down but the launcher doesn't open by itself, I have to manually open it and then it freezes
    Edited by melodicmelody on April 4, 2014 3:01AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Followed all the instructions, no luck. My driver is updated, I verified my disk, firewall is down, deleted everything/reinstalled via account page. :/ The installer shuts down when I confirm my disk space, then it shows it downloading the launcher, gets to 100% and shuts down but the launcher doesn't open by itself, I have to manually open it and then it freezes
    Just to confirm, you say you don't get to the point where you confirm the region,but that is on the same page as the Install Location and HD space details. Where you select North America or Europe.

Can you do a screenshot of that Installer page just so we can see the Location and HD size details. May be helpful.

I have not seen this issue myself before. If you followed the suggestion from @SilentVigil to use Disk Utility and repaired preferences and the disk that is a normal step to do.

You have 10.8.5 installed. Is there any reason you haven't updated to 10.9.2 yet? I would recommend that OS X Update if not which is free from Apple as it will have more updated graphics drivers and just general OS.

You can upgrade to the latest OS X 10.9 Mavericks for free even from 10.6. Check the Apple page here.

if I did not see that you have 10.8.5 I would have said that not having 10.7 was the reason for this.

The other thing to try is to now is these other common trouble shooting things;

Reset the PRAM & SMC. It is not very complicated and I will provide two links at Apple which give clear instructions how to do this. I suggest to do the SMC reset first and see it that helps. If not do the PRAM reset and try that.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Try these and if they don't work at least they have checked these things of possibles.

One observation from the screenshot, you have an awful lot of things on your Desktop at least around the edges :) It is possible that this can cause issues to have lots on the Desktop especially the way in which the Installer really takes over a big part of the screen; it's not very elegant design as it is. And the more stuff you have on desktop it can just make it run slower and possible issues.

It may not matter at all but just making a folder on the Desktop and putting all the lose stuff in there before you do these tests may help.

Try these things and let us know how it goes.

Please open a ticket with Support so that they may be able to help you also. You may want to just do a search for any help in the knowledge base that is similar to this.

Good luck.
  • melodicmelody
    So I updated to Mavericks, still not working! Also I have an image of the moment right before the installer crashes: http://imgur.com/rAiuLTs

The 100% isn't the game itself installed, just the launcher. It never gets to the point where it installs the game.

Going to try to reset the PRAM and SMC in the meantime.

I talked to someone from support and they said it could be my internet? I'm downloading it from a university so maybe they are blocking the installation. I personally don't think this is the issue, but you never know.
    Edited by melodicmelody on April 4, 2014 4:22AM
  • melodicmelody
    And sorry I do get to the point where it says North America/Europe, I thought I didn't.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I updated to Mavericks, still not working! Also I have an image of the moment right before the installer crashes: http://imgur.com/rAiuLTs

The 100% isn't the game itself installed, just the launcher. It never gets to the point where it installs the game.

Going to try to reset the PRAM and SMC in the meantime.

I talked to someone from support and they said it could be my internet? I'm downloading it from a university so maybe they are blocking the installation. I personally don't think this is the issue, but you never know.
    It is a possibility. It at least updates itself enough to get to that point for 100% (assuming it does the Update bar across bit before this screenshot) but it may be trying to do something else at that point of relaunching.

Like I said it is unusual so something like that could be the issue. Chat to the network techs about it.

If possible see if anyone else on campus has successfully downloaded it, or better still, copy their complete install folder including their functioning Launcher. In fact best to do that first. You can then just copy/ paste it to the folder and at least know it is working. Maybe someone else can download it for you and update it?

or, go to another place and try to download it. At least that helps diagnose any college network problem.

No worries on the install thing. I assumed it that way but wanted to be sure.

Good luck with it.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 4, 2014 4:49AM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just posted a working Mac Launcher to this thread. Download and follow the instructions and post this thread how it goes.