The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Total Dark Reflecting DoTs and Hurricane

anatole1234
anatole1234
✭✭✭
Was fighthing a templar on my stamina sorcerer bleed build. I DoTed him up and start to LoS and he put a total dark on me and I was getting the reflected audio cue and getting massive damage even though I was not attacking him and just trying to LoS. It seemed to me some or all of my DoTs were being refected to me. Anyone Could look into that? Or do some testing ? I was using Carve/Rending Slash/Hurricane/DBoS as dots.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest more specific information other than the broad information form single target to AoE being reflected.

Try testing with a friend, one DoT at a time and see if it gets reflected. Dualing is good for that.
  • anatole1234
    anatole1234
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I would suggest more specific information other than the broad information form single target to AoE being reflected.

Try testing with a friend, one DoT at a time and see if it gets reflected. Dualing is good for that.

Don't have any templar friends, that's why I asked if someone could t est or look into it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are in a guild there has to be someone who can help for a few minutes.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is what I found via a forum search ("hold onto your butts"):
    - From 2017 and quote from paulsimonps "Btw, for those that don't know. AoE DoTs that don't tick every second, like the scamp or blade cloak, are Direct damage. Tested it myself, bladecloak even proced Selens which only procs on direct damage.
    - From Gilliam himself this year in July "Direct Damage refers to an instance of damage that hits only once during an interval of time. Some abilities are broken into separate portions of Direct Damage and Damage over Time. Many (not all) Damage over Time abilities also are counted as Direct Damage upon their application. This does not always mean all interactions of Direct Damage requirements will follow suit (i.e; sometimes item sets states only Direct Damage will trigger them, yet a DoT might still do so, CP might not scale properly, etc), so realize it's not a universal rule book that ESO follows.

Here are some examples of Direct Damage;

Poison Injection has two sources of Direct Damage; the initial poison damage hit, and the first damage tick of the DoT it applies.

Rending Slashes has three sources of Direct Damage; the two initial hits, and the first damage tick of the DoT it applies.

Daedric Curse and its morphs (even Haunting Curse) is considered Direct Damage, even though it has a duration associated with it. This is due to the fact that it hits only once (Haunting Curse is an exclusion to this rule, since it technically hits twice, but is still considered Direct Damage because of how the skill operates).

Light Attacks of all weapons.

Lightning Fully Charged Heavy Attack's final damage tick (named Shock Pulse) is considered Direct Damage. The initial channel tick is not. It should also be noted that the Tri Focus passive is also no longer considered Direct Damage.

With certain interactions of Direct Damage requirements, some item sets will also react to AoE DoTs' initial ticks (Endless Hail, Wall of Elements, etc) as well. This is not wholly applicable however. "

My guess on why you took so much damage, was the application of rending slashes, as that causes 3 direct dmg attacks.
    Edited by Minno on September 27, 2018 7:47PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • anatole1234
    anatole1234
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

- From 2017 and quote from paulsimonps "Btw, for those that don't know. AoE DoTs that don't tick every second, like the scamp or blade cloak, are Direct damage. Tested it myself, bladecloak even proced Selens which only procs on direct damage.
    - From Gilliam himself this year in July "Direct Damage refers to an instance of damage that hits only once during an interval of time. Some abilities are broken into separate portions of Direct Damage and Damage over Time. Many (not all) Damage over Time abilities also are counted as Direct Damage upon their application. This does not always mean all interactions of Direct Damage requirements will follow suit (i.e; sometimes item sets states only Direct Damage will trigger them, yet a DoT might still do so, CP might not scale properly, etc), so realize it's not a universal rule book that ESO follows.

Poison Injection has two sources of Direct Damage; the initial poison damage hit, and the first damage tick of the DoT it applies.

Rending Slashes has three sources of Direct Damage; the two initial hits, and the first damage tick of the DoT it applies.

Daedric Curse and its morphs (even Haunting Curse) is considered Direct Damage, even though it has a duration associated with it. This is due to the fact that it hits only once (Haunting Curse is an exclusion to this rule, since it technically hits twice, but is still considered Direct Damage because of how the skill operates).

Lightning Fully Charged Heavy Attack's final damage tick (named Shock Pulse) is considered Direct Damage. The initial channel tick is not. It should also be noted that the Tri Focus passive is also no longer considered Direct Damage.

With certain interactions of Direct Damage requirements, some item sets will also react to AoE DoTs' initial ticks (Endless Hail, Wall of Elements, etc) as well. This is not wholly applicable however. "

My guess on why you took so much damage, was the application of rending slashes, as that causes 3 direct dmg attacks.

I think hurrican was proccing the reflect as well
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure without a pure test. Could be anything that got changed to direct dmg accidently.

If you had a video, we could break it down to find out the moments it was proced. I also know you can proc it via block casting if you accidentally do a bash on a target.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You used direct damage attacks on a templar while being affected by his Total Dark. There is nothing strange in that. You haven't used DOT ability. You have used an ability that makes multiple direct damage attacks over a span of time while activating it only once. You would get the same result if you procced Zaan on him. Thats the way it is supposed to be. You can either counter it by breaking free or disengaging untill Total Dark runs out.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure without a pure test. Could be anything that got changed to direct dmg accidently.

If you had a video, we could break it down to find out the moments it was proced. I also know you can proc it via block casting if you accidentally do a bash on a target.

I have a dual wielding stam sorc @Minno. We could test this.
  • Unified_Gaming
    Unified_Gaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the direct damage portion of hurricane and possibly the cp passive reposte too. I've had this happen when I'm on my sorc too.

Basically hurricane is an aoe direct damage ability as when it hits it hits once. Your bleeds and dbos are dots as they hit then tick and do further damage.

I found that if the skill hits the target once with no follow up damage it's then considered direct damage and not dot. The confusion is that aoe and single target damage can fall into either category.

Hope that helps
    Unified Gaming - creating a shared and Unified Gaming community.

For some of the best and most up to date PVP builds around or useful tips and tricks from an experienced player for PvP and PvE, then check out my channel and consider subscribing if you want to see regular ESO content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCorbta-fAHKJcxJ6ExbtPwg/
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    best counter to bleed build scrubs, stop moaning.