Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cap cumulative damage shields at 60% of max HP?

Solariken
Solariken
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
ZOS has stated that they plan to cap Sorc Ward and Annulment at 40% of max health.

Regardless of whether this is the perfect way to handle these skills, it doesn't address shield stacking in PvE and PvP since you can still stack Hardened/Harness with each other and any of the other small-ish shields available.

So why not in addition to capping Hardened/Annulment, cap the total damage shield effects that can be simultaneously applied to a character at 60% of max health (or whatever % ZOS deems appropriate)?

This would add a sort of soft Major/Minor shield system (40% of HP for Hardened or Annulment, 20% from all other sources) but would prevent any compatibility issues with the huge number of smaller shields out there. You could even still stack Hardened with Annulment but you would lose a lot of efficiency.

The only skill that might then need to be adjusted is Barrier since it would receive a huge nerf due to this, but that can be addressed with cost or adding a heal over time or whatever.

Any thoughts on this?
Edited by Solariken on September 28, 2018 5:29PM
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, this is just needlessly overcomplicating things.
  • Synapsis123
    Synapsis123
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel like I'm living in the twilight world where everyone is suggesting ways to nerf magicka sorcs while we're in a stamina meta. MAgicka sorcs already suck in cyrodiil so why is the focus of this PTS to nerf them? They are already crazy easy to lock down in one place and just dps until they die because the shields can't keep up.

My magicka sorcs shields in cyrodiil are going from 15400 to 10400 and will be critable. I'm not even going to bother playing my sorc.
    Edited by Synapsis123 on September 28, 2018 6:31PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    based on rob's explanation, this would defeat the purpose of capping shield values to dis-incentivize stacking offensive stats to get both offense/defense from one stat.

40% is very reasonable based on the math of having 23-24k max health (most pvp builds).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    based on rob's explanation, this would defeat the purpose of capping shield values to dis-incentivize stacking offensive stats to get both offense/defense from one stat.

40% is very reasonable based on the math of having 23-24k max health (most pvp builds).

Yeah @Minno I'm not asking to change the value they set for Hardened/Annulment. I'm suggesting a hard cap on total simultaneous shields. Maybe I need to reword my OP it seems like I'm confusing people.
    Edited by Solariken on September 28, 2018 6:37PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest a total hardcap on healing. A heal may at no time restore more than 33% of total health and a hot no more than 5% of total health.

See where this is going?

They´ve been nerfed. A lot.
    Stop asking to make things even worse.
    Edited by Derra on September 28, 2018 6:45PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But why? Shields being crittable and their values capped are not enough nerfs for you?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

Yeah @Minno I'm not asking to change the value they set for Hardened/Annulment. I'm suggesting a hard cap on total simultaneous shields. Maybe I need to reword my OP it seems like I'm confusing people.

Ok now your OP makes more sense.

Instead of 40% each shield, 60% max health total for all shields cast on your toon.

SO if you use sorc ward with harness, you'll have the chance to get two 6k+ shields but if your max health is 24k, youll have 14400. So 60% is too high for this change; 20-30% would make sense (7200 for 30% total).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS has stated that they plan to cap Sorc Ward and Annulment at 40% of max health.

Regardless of whether this is the perfect way to handle these skills, it doesn't address shield stacking in PvE and PvP since you can still stack Hardened/Harness with each other and any of the other small-ish shields available.

So why not in addition to capping Hardened/Annulment, cap the total damage shield effects that can be simultaneously applied to a character at 60% of max health (or whatever % ZOS deems appropriate)?

This would add a sort of soft Major/Minor shield system (40% of HP for Hardened or Annulment, 20% from all other sources) but would prevent any compatibility issues with the huge number of smaller shields out there. You could even still stack Hardened with Annulment but you would lose a lot of efficiency.

The only skill that might then need to be adjusted is Barrier since it would receive a huge nerf due to this, but that can be addressed with cost or adding a heal over time or whatever.

Any thoughts on this?

Because they've been nerfed enough?
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah @Minno I'm not asking to change the value they set for Hardened/Annulment. I'm suggesting a hard cap on total simultaneous shields.

Hell no!

1) There are more than a few skills, some group buffs they really want people to use to encourage bringing that class with it or encourage paying attention and activating synergies well, which go higher than 60% and would be neutered and rendered useless then. That is something they want to avoid.

2) They want shields to still be useful for tanking, which they should be an option for since they logically help survivability. Nerfing the total value for everyone across the board, or even just sorcerers, regardless of build would then kill any usefulness these would have for tanks.

What game are you playing or world do you live in where it was ever a good idea to ensure that people did not want to use certain skills at all?