Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Thoughts on the trivial loot code

ahstin2001nub18_ESO
I recently noticed that ESO has a trivial loot code- mobs 6 or more levels lower than you do not render loot. This really erks me quite a bit, given the amount of things to do past, present, and future. There a loads of quests, achievements, and dungeons to complete, and I don't see you doing all of it in the time span of the zone (end game zones being the exception). Now I understand the reason for it, and perhaps I am alone in hating it, but is there enough demand for getting rid of it? I did think long and hard about it over the last few days, and my suggestion is keep the trivial loot code and steal the mentor system concept similar cyrodill. it would play off how cyrodill works, in that you have the skills of your level, but boosted to level 50. In other words, if you are level 50 and you kill mobs in a level 10 area you get no loot. However, if you are level 50 and mentor down to level 10 in a level 10 area you get loot. My main concern is that if you have friends/family that play you may not keep perfect pace with each other. if you out level them or vice versa and you wish to help them, it comes at a cost. I know it sounds greedy, and it is, but I like going back and fighting old past content sometimes and do like helping my friends/family/guildmates, but I also like the cash/items i get in the process. Any thoughts?
I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone.

Martin A. Treptow
1894-1918
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    I do remember reading somewhere that they were looking into possibly creating some type of mentor system...so, stay tuned :)
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't quite see the purpose. The gold would be so little that it wouldn't have any importance on a L50 character, and any gear you could get to give to friends you could just make for them.
  • ahstin2001nub18_ESO
    I am glad to hear its a potential.

I completely understand not seeing the point and since you mention it i will expand. My experience in LOTRO was that the gold/items received was never a "profit" venture. Typically, it was something that you would gain items for crafting- you can make an item.... if you have the materials to do so, but you dont because you are level 50 and you purged level 10 crafting items from your storage, so you would have to back track. this is where the mentor system would come in handy. you have a choice- plow through level 10 mobs for no loot at 50 or drop down to a level of 10 ish and get loot while getting crafting nodes and assisting said friend with quests/achievements/etc. the nodes are what you are after but the cash would mitigate the cost of repairs. but look!! you got a level 10 recipe you didnt have and now you do. or maybe you finally find the argonian crafting book you always wanted. or you get level 10 items that you deconstruct and make your friend level 10 blues instead of greens or whites. the other reason i know people that plow to end game levels then back track their tradeskills. as it stands now you would have to focus primarily on end game levels which is cool and possible, but you already been in the level 50 zone for the past two weeks and you want a change of pace. mentor down and farm somewhere else. Rift had the mentor system and i loved it. i am a competionist so i do EVERYTHING. this came at the price of out-leveling quests and/or achievements. mentoring down let me still gain experience, rewards, while still giving me a challenge in combat. i am also a pretty hardcore end gamer that believes in "train as you would fight, for you will fight as you have trained." in other words if you train yourself to be a drone, you probably wont be too effective when you need to be quick witted under pressure. being under constant stress and pressure provided from mentoring down in levels keeps you in a position to be constantly aware of your actions.
    I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone.

Martin A. Treptow
    1894-1918
  • Srikandi
    Srikandi
    ✭✭✭✭
    At level 50 you can do the other two alliance zones in 50+ mode, and find loot throughout.

I went back to Auridon at level 20 to use up a treasure map yesterday. The chest didn't have any loot I could use and I was quite happy not to have to bother picking stuff up :p Bank's too full as it is! Still enjoyed the puzzle of finding the spot though.

Loot in games is generally seen as a reward for risk, and if there's no risk, why should there be a reward?

Having said that, I'm in favor of a mentoring system.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I see your point now. In that case, I agree with @Srikandi. Going to other alliance zones seems like the best option for going back and leveling up tradeskills. As far as mentoring, you could make a suggestion though I'm not sure if it should be in the New Player Questions thread. =P
  • ahstin2001nub18_ESO
    that reminds me of another point to the mentoring system. i also have friends (looks at the wife) that prefer to slam through quests to end game level and then go back to finish the other quests they (she) missed. would be nice to mentor down in levels to match the quests not completed.

i agree on not posting it in "new players" thread. for whatever reason, it wouldnt let me post anywhere else- perhaps because i just got my physical copy this second and need to update my account. i did do an in-game feedback and want the ball rolling and player (especially new ones) chiming in and get the input for it so it can be implemented sooner rather than later.

Martin A. Treptow
    1894-1918