The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

10 Easy Shield Nerf Alternatives that are less hateful than a Cast Time

Nox_Noir
Nox_Noir
✭✭✭✭
Assume that we all agreed that shields needed some changes, a cast time is without a doubt the single most unfun thing that could possibly happen.
I don't think the community will ever accept the cast time. So here's a compilation of 10 alternative changes that would do the job without resorting to a cast time, just to show that there are certainly other ways to go on about it.

1. Stacking shields and recasting too quickly costs extra magicka (similar to streak or roll dodge fatique)
2. Short delay between cast and shield popping up (1-2s) but still instant cast
3. Shields from different sources don't stack (strongest value overrides)
4. Shield doesn't pop to full strength instantly but builds up over short time frame (E.G. 20% of current amount every second for 5s)
5. Shields have a weakness to a certain element (E.G. Frost damage)
6. Small general cost increase
7. Short Cooldown
8. Reduce shield effectiveness (Size, Resistance etc)
9. Instant cast but 1s interruption window after which shield pops
10. Debuff to caster for duration

more ideas to extend this list are welcome, lets see how many good ones we can come up with.
Edited by Nox_Noir on September 25, 2018 3:41PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harness will be useless in PVP as its tied to light armour, and already small...
    Hardened useless to sorcs trying to keep heal pets (or themselves) alive with it so they can heal themselves..

So how about:
    Remove the crits/resists part from harness (+morphs)
    Remove the cast-time from hardened (+morphs)

Sorcs who want to stack need light armour - rendering hardened weak (gets crit and low resists).
    PVP sorcs will be able to part-rely on shields by going heavy and use hardened only. Can only be intermittently due to cost in heavy.

Anyone else using light in PVP gets hit with the cast time - but already has other viable build options and abilities - yes it is limiting (as it is for sorcs) - but the options are there.

Sorcs in PVE can still keep their pets alive but shields will be weaker (resists). Other light-armour PVE casters have to be pre-emptive with shields. ( - maybe a bit of an imbalance here - but sorcs are meant to be the shield-class afterall)
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about casting a shield is instant, but afterwards you can't use any skills for 2s?

Aligns it with dodge roll as a DPS loss in PvE but still gives instant shield. Combined with crittable in PvP, they will be weaker than current live.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense intented and nothing personal, this adresses u as much as everyone else who made an "alternate shield nerf" thread.

When the decision was made to nerf shields, development went thru all the options and picked the one we can see on pts right now. They never asked for suggestions, nor will care for any. They'll only read thru the feedback they asked for.
    Last pts, there were alot of posts suggesting balance changes, they went on for two weeks (some of them actually good) until a green stepped in and told "Its nice what u r doing here, but we r not gonna do any further balance changes this patch."

By making an "alternate nerf suggestions"-post, the only thing u r achieving is writing yet another post, that also reads: "Heres 10 good reasons why shields r to strong".
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    11. free class change token
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only acceptable nerf to shields was to revert to the old behaviour of not refreshing total on cast. I.e. If your shield has 2k left and you cast it again you still have 2k left. Meaning you need to let the shield drop before recasting.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields instant cast. 1 second cooldown.
    Shields instant cast but lock entire skill bar for 1 second. This would be a true choice between surviving or doing damage.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kagukan wrote: »
    Shields instant cast. 1 second cooldown.
    Shields instant cast but lock entire skill bar for 1 second. This would be a true choice between surviving or doing damage.

cloak instant cast but uninstall your OS. stupid but why not?
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best sounding options to me were #7 and #4.

#3 seems fine, but then it got me thinking of DK healers and tanks together. Assuming the tank would have the stronger shields, would a DK healer get the Major Mending buff, but retain the shield from the tank? Or would it just be a wasted cast entirely for the healer?

#6 is like Streak and dodge roll increases, might not be bad, but would punish shield spammers.

All in all, not bad ideas.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • helios777
    helios777
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nox_Noir wrote: »
    Assume that we all agreed that shields needed some changes, a cast time is without a doubt the single most unfun thing that could possibly happen.
    I don't think the community will ever accept the cast time. So here's a compilation of 10 alternative changes that would do the job without resorting to a cast time, just to show that there are certainly other ways to go on about it.

1. Stacking shields and recasting too quickly costs extra magicka (similar to streak or roll dodge fatique)
    2. Short delay between cast and shield popping up (1-2s) but still instant cast
    3. Shields from different sources don't stack (strongest value overrides)
    4. Shield doesn't pop to full strength instantly but builds up over short time frame (E.G. 20% of current amount every second for 5s)
    5. Shields have a weakness to a certain element (E.G. Frost damage)
    6. Small general cost increase
    7. Short Cooldown
    8. Reduce shield effectiveness (Size, Resistance etc)
    9. Instant cast but 1s interruption window after which shield pops
    10. Debuff to caster for duration

more ideas to extend this list are welcome, lets see how many good ones we can come up with.

No to all of those. Shields bring crittable was already a huge nerf. Yes shields now have mitigation but crit dmg and penetration is so hi in CP campaigns shields will melt so fast it'll make your head spin. And now bleeds can crit on shields AND they ignore mitigation. Also factor in the other counter to dmg shields: Shattering Blows CP, Shieldbreaker set, Oblivion dmg, etc. No none of those will do I'm sorry my friend. Give us the instant cast back and keep the crits/mitigation to shields. Understand that's a huge nerf, but one the masses will be able to swallow. @ZOS_RobGarrett
    Edited by helios777 on September 25, 2018 7:35PM
    Grand Warlord HAXERUS. One of the last OG Mag DKs.
    Mag DK through Thick and Thin.
    Retired from Cyrodiil until they finally decide to fix the performance, which is probably never.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, ZOS is trying to do too many things at once. Allowing resitances to apply and making shields critable is already a monstrous change. It is going to take a while for the dust to settle and measure the impact of this. I do believe it will result in a net nerf, but it’s always hard to tell when they are pulling at both ends.

In isolation, it’s a PVE buff because NPCs don’t crit. In a PVP, hard to see how it ultimately doesn’t result in a nerf. There is too much pen and too many crit modifiers. A player relying on shields is going to have to make sacrifices elsewhere to get the same mitigation they are used to.

Before I go any further, I will say that a cast time is the worst possible approach here, especially on top of what was already discussed. Cast times in a dynamic game like this just feel terrible in the best of scenarios. In a place like cyro that is often subject to crippling lag, the idea of putting a cast time on a class’s main defense ability is simply ludicrous.

ZOS, your game simply doesn’t work that well.

ZOS also has demonstrated over the last 4 years that they don’t listen to constructive feedback. They listing to whining and often react inappropriately, but once their mind is made up, they are more likely to let a change crash and burn on live for 3-6 months than backpedal on the PTS. It seems they are set on cast times as a response to PVE and healers feeling sad and lonely. Of course they are missing the mark because it’s their own content design that is filled with unhealable one shots, and to this day I have never been in a trial group that said they didn’t want a healer, but I digress...

At this point what I want is for them to remove the cast time from Hardened ward. Here are a few points as to why.

We are not plagued with Sorcs over running PVE currently. They are mediocre at best for damage. Even If they are the only one with an instant cast shield, that is not going to radically shift group comp. Shields are barely needed in PVE by the best groups anyway outside of 2-3 pieces of content. You aren’t going to suddenly have class exlusion because Sorcs have it a bit easier on defense, especially considering that Sorcs give very little to their group (you really only need one).

The real problem here is PvP, not PVE where content is scripted. Adapting to a cast time on PVE is doable. It’s stupid that we have to, but it’s doable. In PVE, these changes will only serve to lower the floor, with little to no impact on the ceiling.

Removing the cast time from hardened ward would still allow Sorcs to react dynamically to an incoming threat in the same way that cloak, Breath of life, wings, shimmering shield, and roll dodging does (just to name a few).

On the other hand, this would still constitute a hefty nerf to shield stacking. Sorcs would not be able to do this reactively, they would have to pick and chose their moments if they want to stack shields, otherwise they would be stuck with just one. It would still be an effective move in some situations, but it would eliminate perpetual 20k additional health bars on Sorcs.

Sorcs are in a bad spot at the moment. They were an overturned one trick pony for a while there, but that ship has sailed. They have gone from a class of too many CCs to one that barely has the space for one. They have a choice between one that is clunky telegraphed and dodagble or one that is clunkier, blockable, expensive, and requires melee range.

Their damage can be strong, but it is the most predictable of any class, and is a shadow of its former self. It also takes an entire skill bar to accomplish.

Their access to major minor buffs is a joke compared to ANY other class. With this metric, they are in last place by a mile.

Their mobility is pitiful at this point. The swift stamina meta runs circles around a streaking Sorc at a fraction of the cost.

If something is not done, Sorcs are going to be a dead class in cyro. At first it will be dead Sorcs littered on the battlefield followed by a rise in the population in other more powerful classes as people jump ship.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on September 25, 2018 8:17PM
  • helios777
    helios777
    ✭✭✭✭
    As usual, ZOS is trying to do too many things at once. Allowing resitances to apply and making shields critable is already a monstrous change. It is going to take a while for the dust to settle and measure the impact of this. I do believe it will result in a net nerf, but it’s always hard to tell when they are pulling at both ends.

In isolation, it’s a PVE buff because NPCs don’t crit. In a PVP, hard to see how it ultimately doesn’t result in a nerf. There is too much pen and too many crit modifiers. A player relying on shields is going to have to make sacrifices elsewhere to get the same mitigation they are used to.

Before I go any further, I will say that a cast time is the worst possible approach here, especially on top of what was already discussed. Cast times in a dynamic game like this just feel terrible in the best of scenarios. In a place like cyro that is often subject to crippling lag, the idea of putting a cast time on a class’s main defense ability is simply ludicrous.

ZOS, your game simply doesn’t work that well.

ZOS also has demonstrated over the last 4 years that they don’t listen to constructive feedback. They listing to whining and often react inappropriately, but once their mind is made up, they are more likely to let a change crash and burn on live for 3-6 months than backpedal on the PTS. It seems they are set on cast times as a response to PVE and healers feeling sad and lonely. Of course they are missing the mark because it’s their own content design that is filled with unhealable one shots, and to this day I have never been in a trial group that said they didn’t want a healer, but I digress...

At this point what I want is for them to remove the cast time from Hardened ward. Here are a few points as to why.

We are not plagued with Sorcs over running PVE currently. They are mediocre at best for damage. Even If they are the only one with an instant cast shield, that is not going to radically shift group comp. Shields are barely needed in PVE by the best groups anyway outside of 2-3 pieces of content. You aren’t going to suddenly have class exlusion because Sorcs have it a bit easier on defense, especially considering that Sorcs give very little to their group (you really only need one).

The real problem here is PvP, not PVE where content is scripted. Adapting to a cast time on PVE is doable. It’s stupid that we have to, but it’s doable.

Removing the cast time from hardened ward would still allow Sorcs to react dynamically to an incoming threat in the same way that cloak, Breath of life, wings, shimmering shield, and roll dodging does (just to name a few).

On the other hand, this would still constitute a hefty nerf to shield stacking. Sorcs would not be able to do this reactively, they would have to pick and chose their moments if they want to stack shields, otherwise they would be stuck with just one. It would still be an effective move in some situations, but it would eliminate perpetual 20k additional health bars on Sorcs.

Sorcs are in a bad spot at the moment. They were an overturned one trick pony for a while there, but that ship has sailed. They have gone from a class of too many CCs to one that barely has the space for one. They have a choice between one that is clunky telegraphed and dodagble or one that is clunkier, blockable, expensive, and requires melee range.

Their damage can be strong, but it is the most predictable of any class, and is a shadow of its former self. It also takes an entire skill bar to accomplish.

Their access to major minor buffs is a joke compared to ANY other class. With this metric, they are in last place by a mile.

Their mobility is pitiful at this point. The swift stamina meta runs circles around a streaking Sorc at a fraction of the cost.

If something is not done, Sorcs are going to be a dead class in cyro. At first it will be dead Sorcs littered on the battlefield followed by a rise in the population in other more powerful classes as people jump ship.

Now on the other hand I agree with everything you've said. Preach brother.
    Grand Warlord HAXERUS. One of the last OG Mag DKs.
    Mag DK through Thick and Thin.
    Retired from Cyrodiil until they finally decide to fix the performance, which is probably never.
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, all of these are terrible!
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake