The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

what should sorcerer tank with shields do after nerf?

Myyth
Myyth
✭✭✭✭✭
My sorcerer tank uses the build with the Armor Master set -
"(5 items) While you have an Armor Ability slotted, your Max Health is increased by 5%. When you use an Armor Ability, your Physical and Spell Resistance is increased by 5332 for 10 seconds."
with annulment on both bars and hardened ward on one bar.
Will this build be unplayable after the patch?

What will be the best build for sorcerer tanks be after patch?
Or maybe its time to just give up on sorcerer tank and go dps
I want to prepare myself and start collecting a new set of gear if needed.

• Cronopoly
    Cronopoly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the ONLY armor abilities that affected the Armor Master set were the Light Armor, Medium, and Heavy Armor Ultimates... It's been so long since I used that set...hmm

I used to run a build similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPaUXSvRXn8 but that is from February. there's so many builds available to get ideas from for even a Sorc Tank. I typed ESO Sorcerer Tank and no less than 8 popped up, all different.
    Edited by Cronopoly on September 22, 2018 4:40PM
  • Myyth
    Myyth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cronopoly wrote: »
    I thought the ONLY armor abilities that affected the Armor Master set were the Light Armor, Medium, and Heavy Armor Ultimates... It's been so long since I used that set...hmm

yes, Annulment is the light armor ability. That's how the set works. I cast it and get buffs.
    But if annulment will have a cast time and the animation will make it unusable in combat trying to tank, then I will have to find another build.

Edited by Myyth on September 22, 2018 4:34PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortified Brass has a very similar level of resistances, though minus the 5% health, and its crafted, so you can stay in Light Armor if you need to.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperium.

Bone shield.

Lots of other options as well. Hell, I even deck my magsorc tank with knightmare, so I don't worry about melee damage.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use the clanfear. It is cheaper to use now, by alot.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

How do you keep that alive without wards?
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    5 pc Heavy Innate Axiom
    5 pc Treasure Hunter
    2 pc Ice Heart

Use Bound Aegis instead of Inner Light. Spec more CP toward phys/spell resistances and less toward shielding.
    Edited by Savos_Saren on September 23, 2018 3:14PM
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • weg0
    weg0
    ✭✭✭
    5 pc Heavy Innate Axiom
    5 pc Treasure Hunter
    2 pc Ice Heart

Use Bound Aegis instead of Inner Light. Spec more CP toward phys/spell resistances and less toward shielding.

I forget, is treasure hunter leviathan’s Magicka counterpart?
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok.. so what I am understanding so far about this Ward change for sorc that lots of peeps so revved up about is really not even a nerf. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but things are still in PTS and not even finalized or live yet. So, the latest I'm understanding is the change is to cast time. So, the ward is getting a 1 sec, a merely 1 sec cast time added to it. Along with that, the duration is getting a buff. Hardened Ward, unless the information is not correct or just fabricated, it's getting a few seconds added to the duration. If so, this will make it better for sorc tank. Currently, the 6 sec to Hardened Ward is ehh, but will be much improved with 3 more seconds or so added to it. I'll take the added 1 sec cast time as a trade-off to increased durations. 1 sec is nothing at all. Although, I haven't heard or seen anything about the nerf or decrease in strength to the ward, at this time. Ok yeah, it would suck bad if the strength of the ward is decreased, but wait to be seen, if any.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Respec to DPS and youll be fine in PVE or PVP
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Ok.. so what I am understanding so far about this Ward change for sorc that lots of peeps so revved up about is really not even a nerf. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but things are still in PTS and not even finalized or live yet. So, the latest I'm understanding is the change is to cast time. So, the ward is getting a 1 sec, a merely 1 sec cast time added to it. Along with that, the duration is getting a buff. Hardened Ward, unless the information is not correct or just fabricated, it's getting a few seconds added to the duration. If so, this will make it better for sorc tank. Currently, the 6 sec to Hardened Ward is ehh, but will be much improved with 3 more seconds or so added to it. I'll take the added 1 sec cast time as a trade-off to increased durations. 1 sec is nothing at all. Although, I haven't heard or seen anything about the nerf or decrease in strength to the ward, at this time. Ok yeah, it would suck bad if the strength of the ward is decreased, but wait to be seen, if any.

That's like saying, "if you add a cast time to block, tanks will be ok". Sorc tanks dont have 1 sec to cast a shield and no good ways of regenerating stam to permablock.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karm1cOne wrote: »

That's like saying, "if you add a cast time to block, tanks will be ok". Sorc tanks dont have 1 sec to cast a shield and no good ways of regenerating stam to permablock.

Look.. I'm no ZOS's white knight (nor is that's even bad or good), but we'll be fine. Even if with the 1 sec sec, tap ward, hold block momentarily, and before you realized the ward is up and glaring. I roll with my sorc tank in vet dungeons and whatever, and I use more of my Hurricane and Dark Deal than I do with my ward. Oh, I use the ward, but not as often as the other two. Besides, I'm constantly Pierce Armoring the boss and also dropping the likes of Liquid L and Razor Caltrops as well. I don't just stand and hold block and pop ward all the time. Hell, I've been at this game for a good 3 years now, and throughout all the years of whatever changes or nerf and every new contents, the toons are still fine. Ffing A, man.. adapt and readjust and enjoy the game. No use crying over spilled milk. Clean the shitt up and move on.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Look.. I'm no ZOS's white knight (nor is that's even bad or good), but we'll be fine. Even if with the 1 sec sec, tap ward, hold block momentarily, and before you realized the ward is up and glaring. I roll with my sorc tank in vet dungeons and whatever, and I use more of my Hurricane and Dark Deal than I do with my ward. Oh, I use the ward, but not as often as the other two. Besides, I'm constantly Pierce Armoring the boss and also dropping the likes of Liquid L and Razor Caltrops as well. I don't just stand and hold block and pop ward all the time. Hell, I've been at this game for a good 3 years now, and throughout all the years of whatever changes or nerf and every new contents, the toons are still fine. Ffing A, man.. adapt and readjust and enjoy the game. No use crying over spilled milk. Clean the shitt up and move on.

3 years in the game and still fails to see how casting time on wards is a huge problem. Throw your "adapt" around all you want, killer arguments won't help when this stuff hits live. You might be better off suggesting "outfit transmutation" instead again. Hard to believe you're actually this long in this game with how little understanding you show.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With Hurricane, are you tanking on a Stam Sorc? Or a MagSorc using Hurricane. I'm curious, because I enjoy tanking on my Stam Sorcs, and hurriane is amazing, but I haven't tried Hurricane for tanking on my MagSorc who uses her ward.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't the healers heals heal it too? I see people say pets steal Buffs all the time.
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except the new animation can't be block cast.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea your suggestion of taping block after casting ward will just cancel the ward cast.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't the healers heals heal it too? I see people say pets steal Buffs all the time.

Touché. Except that they'll still die to various (one shot) mechanics. And then we're at another cast time again. Plus there are reasons why dds don't use them in certain environments, those reasons also apply to other roles.
  • Myyth
    Myyth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    Imperium.

Bone shield.

Lots of other options as well. Hell, I even deck my magsorc tank with knightmare, so I don't worry about melee damage.

Yes, I guess I will have to give up the idea of a 5 light armor tank with two instant cast shields to help with survivability.

I am assuming that the 1 second cast time will lock you into an animation and prevent any other actions during the cast time making it unplayable.

The reason I picked the build I am using is that I had a hard time with stamina/heavy armor sorcerer tanks. The majority of sorcerer skills do not have a stamina morph. Which means that it was almost impossible to use sorcerer magicka skills due to lack of magicka and regen on a stam sorcerer. So my tank ended up being a generic boring tank with one hand and shield/undaunted skills, just like every other tank, nothing like a sorcerer at all.

If I am forced to go back to a generic heavy armor stamina tank then I will just go back to dps.
    Edited by Myyth on September 23, 2018 5:55PM
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    weg0 wrote: »
    5 pc Heavy Innate Axiom
    5 pc Treasure Hunter
    2 pc Ice Heart

I forget, is treasure hunter leviathan’s Magicka counterpart?

@weg0

No. Treasure Hunter is the magicka version of Toothrow.

(2 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka
    (3 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (4 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (5 items) Gain Major Prophecy at all times, increasing your Spell Critical rating by 2191.
    (5 items) Adds 100 Spell Damage

So, you get max mag from both Innate and Treasure Hunter. You get three extra lines of crit AND Major Prophecy at all times. So, instead of slotting Inner Light- you can slot Bound Aegis. (which means more crits for heals and more resistances)
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ward Tanks are pretty much dead now, much like Sap Tanking died in Morrowind. Might as well spec as a DPS and save yourself the hassle of having to reroll as a DK or Warden Tank.
    Argonian forever
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    just re-roll, sorc won't even be viable for pve dps.