Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lets talk about one of the dumbest features added back to this game - Forward Camps

Xsorus
Xsorus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I know, there are going to be some people who come in here and say "Without them this is Horse simulator online!!!" ...Which i say false, without them..This is Large Scale PvP online...and in that game if you die...You might have to ride back to the fight if you can't get a res..Which is how its suppose to work...you want to instantly get back into the fight...play BGs or run around in IC.

Forward Camps themselves are basically an instant aoe rez...available to everyone every 5 minutes. You fight a Zerg Guild and you kill 23 out of 24 people..Guess what..They all get Rezzed to full health and no penalty what so ever.

You have things like this that were added to previous games like DAOC (there ya go Joy) and quickly removed because they learned the same thing...that AOE rez is powerful..and you shouldn't give it to everyone in a Zerg.

• Chori
    Chori
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ermmm nah
    EP NA-PC - Invictus - Odem Mortis
    1. Stamina NB Cat - ChoriB'Good
    2. Magicka NB High Elf - Lîndara
    3. Stam Sorc High Elf - Lindara Moonlight
    4. Red Guard Stamina DK - Chorî
    5. Red Guard Stamina Templar - Choripaninikinnie
    6. Magplar High Elf - Vagitarian Sillonour
    Don't tell me you lag, I play with 200-300 ms all the time ^_^
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when the camp range was lot bigger than now...
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    different objectives in cyrodiil...sometimes the most important objective - enjoy a good fight...

I'm glad for forward camps...

it's also fun to find enemy camps and burn them...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked when they turned the mobile spawn closets off. The spawn closet’s timer is too short and ap cost too low. It needs a 30min cooldown after use and needs to cost at least 80k ap. With the new choke point controls coming next patch I foresee players just using the mobile spawn closets to stay behind enemy lines. What is the point to territorial control mechanisms when hostile players can respawn in your territory indefinitely?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing forward camps punishes defenders far more than it does attackers and removes almost all incentive to aggressively defend keeps once they are flagged. If by dying you knew you couldn't get back to the keep you were defending, the only logical move is to hole up in the inner and pour oils.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forward Camps are one of the few things ZOS actually improved and got right.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forward Camps are one of the few things ZOS actually improved and got right.

Except for the word "few," I agree.
    Edited by Maryal on September 23, 2018 1:58PM
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only thing more satisfying than wiping a large group is doing it twice in a row. Forward camps don't often change the outcome of the battle, but they do help promote a more active fight where people will jump down off the walls instead of turtling up inside a keep and being completely defensive. The timer, large AP cost, and burnability helps keep them in check as well.
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beards weird
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont mind forward camps that much but i think they need to adjust the health or how burning camps works. Kinda lame that burning it just stops spawning. Like why cant i spawn on a burning camp and try to defend so its not destroyed?
    PS4 NA DC
  • SouthernSoldjer
    Yeah idk why this is a thread some of us remember when there was no camps and had to ride 20 minutes to every keep. The only time they were op is when there was no timer
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the original camps... Could spawn from anywhere.

Anyway, what about the new recall stones? I suppose you don't approve of those either?
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nermy wrote: »

Anyway, what about the new recall stones? I suppose you don't approve of those either?

do they instant res a lot of people and are common?
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think the zone of exclusion around keeps should be a bit bigger in order to avoid the constant stream of respawns during attacks... if you wipe while you're attacking, there should not be second chances, IMHO.

EDIT: Clarification, I mean... the zone of exclusion to placing your FC near an enemy keep.
    Edited by leeux on September 25, 2018 5:10AM
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I believe that forward camps have a place in the game, as long as they are used offensively. We should not be able to deploy forward camps inside the range of a flagged objective. that does not make any sense. Camps should be place outside of the range of any objective by both attackers and defenders.
    Edited by frozywozy on September 25, 2018 8:43AM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

They allow people to Insta-port to any keep that's not flagged, like a blood port without dying. If you PVP a lot, yeah, they're pretty easy to acquire.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They allow people to Insta-port to any keep that's not flagged, like a blood port without dying. If you PVP a lot, yeah, they're pretty easy to acquire.

So not the same

Gotcha
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a small scale perspective I have found forward camps overall to be a good thing. We run 3-5 people so if someone goes down its really hard to get off a res when fighting outnumbered. What is quite a bit more viable though is getting someone to peel off from our group and get a camp up to reset the fight.

Yes it does on occassion help the opposition. In fact it happened to us last night where we nearly wiped an entire raid and they all took the camp and reset the fight. That said I'd still prefer to have forward camps in the game.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forward camps in their current iteration are pretty great. It makes defending things much more enjoyable if you get one "camp life" to push out and actually fight rather than having to be super conservative until the keep is breached. It helps make it worth the time to ride a small group deep into enemy territory--not much point if one wipe and a few salty body campers shuts the whole thing down.

In terms of the big contested fights where it's respawning a zerg...

It's a 5 minute cooldown. Kill them again, problem solved.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know, there are going to be some people who come in here and say "Without them this is Horse simulator online!!!" ...Which i say false, without them..This is Large Scale PvP online...and in that game if you die...You might have to ride back to the fight if you can't get a res..Which is how its suppose to work...you want to instantly get back into the fight...play BGs or run around in IC.

Forward Camps themselves are basically an instant aoe rez...available to everyone every 5 minutes. You fight a Zerg Guild and you kill 23 out of 24 people..Guess what..They all get Rezzed to full health and no penalty what so ever.

You have things like this that were added to previous games like DAOC (there ya go Joy) and quickly removed because they learned the same thing...that AOE rez is powerful..and you shouldn't give it to everyone in a Zerg.

I agree they kind of negate the point of killing a group.

Previously you used to flag keeps and if anyone of the defending made a mistake and died in enemy lines they had to ride back which actually have attackers number advantage etc..

Now everyone just respawns.

You wipe a group? Someone will put a camp up and it's pointless.

Camps is just another tool that removes consequences from the game.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree that they got camps right.

For me I'd like to see camps be implemented in the following way:
    1. No radius in which to res, if you see a camp on the other side of the map you can take it. This spread out fights and allowed for quick movement around cyro.
    2. Offensive camps should be placed further away from keeps. Allowing for a push by defenders rather than instant reinforcements.
    3. When you res at a camp you should have low resources not full resources. if you want full resources you should have to res at a structure (keep etc).
    4. Longer 'placement' time. Camps are too easily placed during combat. It should be at least a 5s cast imo. (Even if I benefit from being able to place it doesn't mean I should). To balance this is should appear on the map quicker once placed. It seems to vary from between 3s and 10s sometimes likely when lag is involved.
    5. There should be a much smaller cap on the number of players who can respawn at a camp (10 rather than 20) without it being manually repaired. This would mean that if your whole group but 1 wipes you can't just all insta res on a camp without at least placing another down.
    6. General for all siege - allow players to be interrupted regardless of their immovable status both repairing and burning.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think forward camps are pretty good for everything but solo players. The problem solo players face with forward camps is that they allow groups to stick closer together which pretty much makes Transit routes empty or either a big Zerg is running through, but once the Zerg past it's a ghost town. Before when there were no forward camps it was harder for groups to move together. Players would die and have to run back to the keep meaning there were a lot more small scrimmages in open fields and that's what's missing from eso right now. It's basically just 60v60 keep fights right now. And even though forward camps are popular I feel this won't change until they are removed
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are probably a lot of current players who didn't play during the period when Forward Camps were removed.
    Forward Camps were part of the game at launch and removed during 1.5 until 2.3 -- approximately 15 months off the top of my head.

The removal of camps changed gameplay in countless ways. In particular, players were forced to make intelligent choices about engagements. Objective fights didn't drag on and victories were decisive.

In today's game, groups aren't punished for bad decisions like they were then. Running deep in enemy territory took much more skill and focus. There was less of an 'omglol' mentality when making mistakes. Groups couldn't just kite indefinitely by dropping camps gratuitously. Good groups couldn't afford to carry bad players as easily.

IMO, players were less concentrated without FCs for multiple reasons. A defeated player or group was forced to respawn at the nearest unflagged friendly objective. From there, they may have chosen to fight somewhere else.

Tick quagmires were rare. In today's game, objective fights drag on for so long that very large dticks often accumulate. Tick quagmires feed themselves by drawing players from across the map, increasing lag for everyone. Some groups simply can't resist joining an already painfully laggy fight because of this.

The best part of the game without FCs were the lanes connecting a flagged objective to the closest respawn objectives because they were always alive with activity. These were ideal locations for solo players and small groups to fight.
    Edited by zyk on September 29, 2018 8:45PM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree they kind of negate the point of killing a group.

Previously you used to flag keeps and if anyone of the defending made a mistake and died in enemy lines they had to ride back which actually have attackers number advantage etc..

Now everyone just respawns.

You wipe a group? Someone will put a camp up and it's pointless.

Camps is just another tool that removes consequences from the game.

correct
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    There are probably a lot of current players who didn't play during the period when Forward Camps were removed.
    Forward Camps were part of the game at launch and removed during 1.5 until 2.3 -- approximately 15 months off the top of my head.

The removal of camps changed gameplay in countless ways. In particular, players were forced to make intelligent choices about engagements. Objective fights didn't drag on and victories were decisive.

In today's game, groups aren't punished for bad decisions like they were then. Running deep in enemy territory took much more skill and focus. There was less of an 'omglol' mentality when making mistakes. Groups couldn't just kite indefinitely by dropping camps gratuitously. Good groups couldn't afford to carry bad players as easily.

IMO, players were less concentrated without FCs for multiple reasons. A defeated player or group was forced to respawn at the nearest unflagged friendly objective. From there, they may have chosen to fight somewhere else.

Tick quagmires were rare. In today's game, objective fights drag on for so long that very large dticks often accumulate. Tick quagmires feed themselves by drawing players from across the map, increasing lag for everyone. Some groups simply can't resist joining an already painfully laggy fight because of this.

The best part of the game without FCs were the lanes connecting a flagged objective to the closest respawn objectives because they were always alive with activity. These were ideal locations for solo players and small groups to fight.

also correct; But it was a "horse simulator" so it was changed *grin*.

• frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Players would die and have to run back to the keep meaning there were a lot more small scrimmages in open fields and that's what's missing from eso right now. It's basically just 60v60 keep fights right now. And even though forward camps are popular I feel this won't change until they are removed

Have you played when forward camps were removed? The most typical scenario happening on a daily basis would be a huge crossword on top of Alessia Bridge, Chal milegate and sometimes Nikel milegate. Stale fights happening for hours with a side winning from time to time and pushing to the next objective until they get wiped for being too far away from the spawn.

I am not sure exactly where the removal of forward camps is supposed to favor small scrimmages in open fields. Unless what you mean by that is to gank people riding back to the bridge or milegates? Could you elaborate more?

Without forward camps, we would barely see anybody taking the decision to push deep in enemy territory to spread out the fight. Only on super rare occasions and from very specific groups we would see such events happening.

With offensive camps, it allows and encourages people to fight at different places, out of the emp ring.

I disagree entirely about groups not being punished enough when they do an effort to fight by themselves far away from their faction and any spawn point other than a camp. The problem is when people are able sneak camps while defending a keep, avoiding all kind of fights and running straight inside the inner postern to reinforce. A "Forward camp" used defensively. This tactic allows the fight to last forever and does not punish anybody resing at the camp. Those people can just safely wait inside with a massive amount of sieges until they are off cooldown to try another mindless push outside.

Edited by frozywozy on October 2, 2018 9:39AM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »
    Players would die and have to run back to the keep meaning there were a lot more small scrimmages in open fields and that's what's missing from eso right now. It's basically just 60v60 keep fights right now. And even though forward camps are popular I feel this won't change until they are removed

Have you played when forward camps were removed? The most typical scenario happening on a daily basis would be a huge crossword on top of Alessia Bridge, Chal milegate and sometimes Nikel milegate. Stale fights happening for hours with a side winning from time to time and pushing to the next objective until they get wiped for being too far away from the spawn.

I am not sure exactly where the removal of forward camps is supposed to favor small scrimmages in open fields. Unless what you mean by that is to gank people riding back to the bridge or milegates? Could you elaborate more?

Without forward camps, we would barely see anybody taking the decision to push deep in enemy territory to spread out the fight. Only on super rare occasions and from very specific groups we would see such events happening.

With offensive camps, it allows and encourages people to fight at different places, out of the emp ring.

I disagree entirely about groups not being punished enough when they do an effort to fight by themselves far away from their faction and any spawn point other than a camp. The problem is when people are able sneak camps while defending a keep, avoiding all kind of fights and running straight inside the inner postern to reinforce. A "Forward camp" used defensively. This tactic allows the fight to last forever and does not punish anybody resing at the camp. Those people can just safely wait inside with a massive amount of sieges until they are off cooldown to try another mindless push outside.

I played when forward camps were removed and there were a lot more fights in the fields between keeps. It was great for solo players like myself. I could stand in the open field while people who died run back to the keep and actually get some good 1vXs where as now you either get a whole Zerg running to a keep or no one at all. So it's either I get a fight that's impossible for me to win because of game mechanics or I fight no one. And it's not necessarily ganking because I'm not one shotting players from stealth but I am talking about killing players that died and are running back to the fight. Right now that is not existent because of forward camps.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP is glossing over the changes from the original design of the camps and just focusing on what he does not like.

That 5 minute lockout is a fairly long time. People end up riding back into battle if they get killed during that lockout.

The range is so much shorter and cannot even begin to be used like they used to. Often when someone dies on opposite side of the keep from the camp they hare out of range.,

So, in the end, with the current design of forward camps Cyrodiil is Large Scale PvP online. Very much so.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We know that's not true because we played without Forward Camps for more than a year and groups of all sizes pushed as deep as they do today. Except then, they did so for a fight rather than an otick. 2.2 had a far more active map than 4.1 does.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We know that's not true because we played without Forward Camps for more than a year and groups of all sizes pushed as deep as they do today. Except then, they did so for a fight rather than an otick. 2.2 had a far more active map than 4.1 does.

I disagree. Remember 2.2 had a far higher population than now which is why the map seems less active.
    Additionally it's far more difficult for groups to stay alive in the current patch then previously. Which is why you see less and less groups able let alone willing to take a back keep and fight (not counting all those who have quit).

Also there will always be groups who push further into enemy territory but before camp removal there were fights all over the map. As soon as they were removed it became bridge wars online.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)