The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crafting

ApokaWitch
ApokaWitch
Soul Shriven
What is the best/easiest way to level your skills faster?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear, decon mob loot, farm squishy zombies or undead or public dungeons for the loot. So any weapons, armor, jewelry or glyphs that you dont need, decon.

For Alchemy and Provisioning, just make stuff. Make things you wont use if your just grinding so you can keep your supplies for things you will use. These two level quite fast so no real worries.

Do make sure you research your armor and weapon traits, it takes a couple focused months to get to 6 traits known on gear you use, 14 to 18 months for all traits on everything
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget that you'll need skill points as well. Raising your level won't do a thing for the passives. Take a break from time to time to gather skyshards.

You'll need to increase the passives to do things like learning higher level recipes, using higher level materials etc. The better the things you make, and dismantle, the faster you go. You'll want the research passives that let you do multiple items at a time, for the same reason. That 14 to 18 months figure assumes you do so. If you only do one at a time it will take years.

• Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    And don't forget that you'll need skill points as well. Raising your level won't do a thing for the passives. Take a break from time to time to gather skyshards.

You'll need to increase the passives to do things like learning higher level recipes, using higher level materials etc. The better the things you make, and dismantle, the faster you go. You'll want the research passives that let you do multiple items at a time, for the same reason. That 14 to 18 months figure assumes you do so. If you only do one at a time it will take years.

Go skyshard hunting and it'll solve part of your issue. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

The daily writs help a little. I notice intrinsic items as a reward from to time. The gold doesnt hurt either.

Enchanting is usually the slowest for me. Find another aspiring crafter and trade glyphs.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use CraftStore addon to track this across multiple characters. Other than that, play the game and save all researchable stuff. It puts icon next to items you need to keep for research and puts icon next to lowest value object in case of conflict. And tracks across multiple toons. Decon everything hat can’t be researched. Put skill points in research passives as soon as possible.
  • ApokaWitch
    ApokaWitch
    Soul Shriven

Go skyshard hunting and it'll solve part of your issue. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

The daily writs help a little. I notice intrinsic items as a reward from to time. The gold doesnt hurt either.

Enchanting is usually the slowest for me. Find another aspiring crafter and trade glyphs.

Is there a way to find where the Skyhards are at?
  • ApokaWitch
    ApokaWitch
    Soul Shriven
    qbit wrote: »
    Use CraftStore addon to track this across multiple characters. Other than that, play the game and save all researchable stuff. It puts icon next to items you need to keep for research and puts icon next to lowest value object in case of conflict. And tracks across multiple toons. Decon everything hat can’t be researched. Put skill points in research passives as soon as possible.

not sure they have addons for xbox 1
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ApokaWitch wrote: »

I'm assuming that you're on console? If you focus on skyshards in delves and public dungeons for the time being you wont need an add on for that. That's also where you can find a lot of gear to deconstruct. I believe the public dungeons alo have a quest worth one skill point as well.

Edit: For clarity, I believe all delves and public dungeons have a skyshard. Once you've completed it the icon should turn from black to white. Just make sure that you complete the dungeon/delve while you're grabbing the shards and it's an easy way to track them.
    Edited by Agenericname on September 14, 2018 7:23PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApokaWitch wrote: »

There is an add-on for PC, but not for the Xbox/PS4. The delves and public dungeons have them (one each), but there are also several above ground that you just have to look out for. UESP's maps show them, but that's not an in-game resource. The achievement tab will tell you how many there are in each region, and give you clues to help find them.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several maps on line that show the skyshards. Just print them out and keep them in a notebook somewhere.

As for Crafting, it can eat up 122 or more skill points to fully invest in all the skills. However, for leveling, you only need 12 to cover the research passives for trait research. The extraction passives are nice for getting more mats.

Also while crafting is beneficial, it is more helpful end game than while leveling your character. So, you can level crafting while leveling your character without investing a bunch of points. Just use the gear that drops until you get CP160. By then you shoild have enough skill points for crafting. You can buy some foods and potions from crafters if you dont have the points needed to make them yourself.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my general purpose crafting primer, it says some of what I have posted already, I just did not have access to the text earlier

Here is the thing about Crafting, you don't need it until End Game (post CP160) but you can level it in preparation with few to no skill points invested. Crafting can eat up 122 Skill Points to fully invest, so this will gimp your combat while leveling. Best to invest as few points as possible while levleing your character and crafting.

Equipment Crafting

Decon all mob loot other than what you are using to research traits. Research traits, learn two on all items you would use, then learn 3, etc. Focus on Divines, Infused and Training for your first three for Armor, Sharpened, Precise and Training for your Weapons. Then go for the other ones. Nirn is expensive, and a lot of people suggest putting a priority on that, I can't see why. The Trait is all but useless for Armor or Weapons. Best place to find Mob Loot is Public Dungeons, then over land grind spots. Grind on mobs until your bags are full, then go on a decon fest. Remembering to save the ones you need or want to research. Use the Lock Function and or an Inventory Mule to hang on to those. Only invest Skill points while leveling it into the Research and Extraction Passive, the last really only needing one point.

Enchanting

Ignore all the "advice" on the web about using an enchanting partner. First, use Mob Loot decon to raise this up to a point. Later on as you approach end game have some some gold, then start making Green, Blue or Purple Glyphs on one character and decon them on an Alt. You will level Enchanting faster than trading the glyphs with another player, which is tedious by the way. (like pull out your hair and make a doily tedious). Use Green up to about L15 in the Enchanting Skill, Blue up to about L30/35 and Purple up to about L46/47. Then learn the runes you don't know, you should be at or near 50, if not, make/decon some more Purples.

Provisioning and Alchemy

Don't worry about these, you can level these professions in about an 20 minutes, for both. Just collect the Various Solvents and Reagents and Provisioning Ingredients/Recipes as you go along. Once end game, then you can level it. Use Mushrooms to level Alchemy, or Flowers that make potions you won't use. Make sure you grab solvents (waters) as your leveling as they can be rare to find in the guild stores. For Provisioning, make the highest level Green Recipes you can make. Blue or Purples do not give any more inspiration than Greens, so save those for character use.

Yes, use Drop Sets for now, and Yes, level your crafting skills and do the Trait Research. Traits are why you craft as they allow you to make Special Crafted Sets. There are two sets in the game that your going to want to make, Julianos for your Magic Characters, and Hundings Rage for your Stamina Characters. There are no better sets in the game to have 5 pieces of. Period. Well, Twice Born Star is great to, but your a year out from making that. But you need to start learning your traits now.

Traits

While it takes 6 traits known to be able to make Hundings or Julianos, 9 Traits for Twice Born Star. You don't need to know learn all of these traits on everything before you craft anything. In fact, there are nice sets that you only need to know 2 or 3 or 4 traits to make. So, learn 2 traits first, then 3 etc. This way you can be making set items in just a few days. So, start learning those traits. Focus on the gear you will use first, then fill in the rest later. This means:

Casters
    Heavy Chest/Legs
    Light Feet/Hands/Waist
    Shoulders and Heads are good to, but there are 2 Piece Monster sets that can take up those slots. So learn the traits on these pieces, but prioritize the ones above.
    Staves (all 4 of them)

Stamina
    All Medium Armors
    Daggers, Swords, Axes, Bow

Tanks
    All Heavy Armors, Sword and Shield and maybe Staves (Ice is your tanking stick). Can add in Axes or Maces for the weapons if you want.
    For Armors, Sturdy, then Divines, Infused, Reinforced. Same with Shields but Nirn can be nice on a Shield.
    For Weapons, Infused, Sharpened, Defending. Charged for the Staff

Learn Training, Divines and Infused on the Armors first, Sharpened, Precise, Infused and Training on the Weapons. Powered is good for the Healing Staff, Defending is good for Sword or other one handed Melee. Then fill in the rest until you have 6 traits on each piece of gear you will use. Eventually you will learn all 9 traits. Some people recommend Nirn as an early trait to learn. Unless they change it, don't listen to them. You might use it on a Shield or a Weapon but that is about it. You need it someday, but it's expensive and you need your gold for other things.

Invest the skill points into the Research Passives. I can't stress enough how much of a time sink Trait Research is. Be able to learn more than one at a time, and reduce the time needed. Get an addon for Trait Research Tracking, I recommend Craft Store. If your on the Consoles, find one of the spreadsheets out there or make one to track this. Have I mentioned you need to learn your traits?

Doing this you will be ready to invest skill points into Crafting when it matters and not have to spend months getting ready. Did I mention Trait Research and how much a time sink it is? The last two traits will take you a month each to learn, on each item you learn them on. Get started now, yesterday would have been better.

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    These should still be fairly accurate for skyshards:

***SPOILERS*** - Alliance Zone Safe Walk-Swim-Sneak Skyshard Maps
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/274635/spoilers-guide-pc-alliance-zone-safe-walk-swim-sneak-skyshard-maps
    Edited by SpAEkus on September 15, 2018 1:29PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, the advice on learning Nirn early is a question of grabbing the chance when you get it. Nirnhoned items don't drop in-game, except from one specific quest, so if you're aiming for a full nine-traits crafter, you don't pass on any opportunities to learn it.

However, it's also not one you need much, especially early on, so if crafting isn't your ultimate objective, it's less important that the traits you'll be using. A balance consideration, like most things in the game.

tl;dr learn early on a primary crafter, don't bother if not.