The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

Save the arctic blast skill!

Ihonu
Ihonu
✭✭✭
Arctic blast is changed from a dmg/heal skill, scaling from Health, to a stun/heal that needs a target and scales from magicka, making it useless for tanks.

Save the arctic blast skill! 155 votes

Arctic blast should stay as it is.
61%
cwp303b14_ESODarcyMardinWonderboyXsorusGythralmartin.e.perssonb16_ESONebthet78IxSTALKERxILeingodLaerothKeykalynWolfpawbooksmcreadEnkilStreegaHidesFromSunZarycmitebaAkgurddarkstar2084Mojomonkeyman 95 votes
I want the new Arctic Blast
38%
vailjohn_ESOkendellking_chaosb14_ESOPhilhypeTryxusTurelusDTStormfoxRadianceIndorilArwynLlethranArtemiisiakollege14a5bitelsAnhedonieMettaricanaacw37162ChunkyCatAedarylMyNameIsEliasTimeDazzlerworsttankeverAerem 60 votes
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of the new version sorry. I want to see the Warden get some more offensive capabilities.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Arctic blast is still scaled based on your maximum Health, so it is trash on a magden : )))
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arctic Blast (AB) in its current form is an enabler for many PvP builds (Frostmage, Healthen, Warden Hybrid Tank) and provides not only healing and damage, but also utility and crowd control:

- AB delivers just enough on-demand (this is the important part, not needing a target) over time healing to be sufficient when layered with trellis
    - AB AOE damage is perfect (50% of WOE even on 25-30k HP) as a secondary damage source to be layered with either Winters Revenge or WOE (or both ofc)
    - AB functions as a soft counter to cloak (which is very valuable on MagWarden - like a Warden "hurricane" that ticks every 2 sec instead of 1s for Stamsorcs)
    - AB is the single largest contributor to chilled into deep freeze stacking (due to its high status effect proc %) which is essential for Frost Mage in PvP

I could go much more into detail on why AB in its current iteration on live is one of the best designed warden skills but the above mentioned points alone hopefully show that the trade-off to the current PTS version is huge and not desirable for many working MagWarden setups (those are not exactly easy to create considering the overall state of the class).

I really want a CC, there is not a single day in my MagWarden PvP life where I don't wish I had one. But I am convinced breaking that one of the very few big assets (AB in that case) the class has to bruteforce a CC into the toolset is not helping the Warden class. We are losing out overall.

Edit:
    I really hope threads like this one will help making ZOS reconsider their suggestion and be more sensible about the implementation of a CC.

Gameplay-wise, from a PvP pov, a MagWarden is already forced into manual multi-camera angle targeting (i couldnt find a better wording) - Fissure has to be manually targeted since its a cone, Winters revenge is a manually targeted ground AOE which is always a pain in fast-paced combat situations, Pollen is as well, Trellis is manually single target camera perspective dependant, Growth is another cone.

In Short - we are already really busy with targeting stuff (both, friendlies and opponents)... Wardens have to be very active in that regard compared to other classes. In my perosnal opinion, the CC we need is a CC that won't consume another exclusive global cooldown and targeting maneuver.
    Edited by Mojomonkeyman on September 20, 2018 8:26AM
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Ihonu
    Ihonu
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the new version sorry. I want to see the Warden get some more offensive capabilities.

How is less damage more offensive?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its not offensive if its not hurting anything.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run a snare tank in PvP and I think this will just make my build even better:)
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really love this skill. Please leave as is. It's unique and its useful.

Change the other morph. The second heal is meh. Or just make em both do 2 heals. This change sucks lol. Leave as is or take the other morph.

Kills playstyles for a stun that's meh at best.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In another post:
    Kadoin wrote: »
    I think the change is also bad. A tank needs an AoE to pull trash in dungeons. If not, it makes running a dungeon very annoying for a tank. Trust me, I know. I used my templar to tank when solar barrage had a cast time.

Then there is the fact that the AoE uncloaked nightblades, applies frost damage to more than one enemy, etc. in PvP. That has more value than a stun to me...I could always have slotted sellistrix and used it with this skill which would be a better option anyway for both PvP and PvE IMO (AoE damage + stun working reliably).

All the change means is that I will morph it to the other skill and have to find some other way to pick up trash...

I honestly don't like the idea of "ice staff or go home," or any weapon being forced on me in a build when a class skill can and already does provide what I would need the staff for in the first place.
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they revert AB back to the way it was. I understand "class stun," but Mag Wardens really need it to remain unchanged. The AOE effect also really fits into the frost mage theme, or even the frost tank theme.

Plus gripping shards already immobilizes. And all the frost damage causes snare. I if any class could without a class stun, its magden.
    PS4 NA
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how the dmg scaling from health was actually usefull for tanks ? I mean how lack of the damage is suddenly an issue for a tank , a build that is designed mainly for survivality and support ? Second morph Polar Wind still heals based on max health and also have heal for an ally which fits much more to tank role.

I think I know what type of "tanks" all people who QQ about this change have in mind...

Edited by Juhasow on September 22, 2018 12:21PM
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should it be saved?
    By any means, players should not deal dmg by skills that scale off max hp.
    You choose to be 60k hp warrior? Your choice to become a punching bag.
    Edited by amir412 on September 22, 2018 12:57PM
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• cwp303b14_ESO
    cwp303b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    amir412 wrote: »
    Why should it be saved?

As a tank with high hp anyway, that's kinda the point right?

Right now it's a heal skill with no target requirement that provides supplemental damage to both contribute to group dps and provide a class innate source of the chilled status effect to cause AoE minor maim. It's a perfect tank skill for trash packs.

New version requires target to get heal and loses all damage, chilled procs, and AoE effect for a single target stun.

It seems so bad that its obvious how desperate magdens are for a stun. I support a class stun but not like this

Edit: it also makes sensible use of the class passives as it stands but will not after the change which diminishes their worth

Edit: it's so bad lol
    Edited by cwp303b14_ESO on September 22, 2018 1:54PM
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The original damage needs to be based off max magicka and spell damage

The new NEEDs damage.

So whichever one offers the damage SHOULD be the one that goes live because frost damage is lacking so much
  • Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warden getting finally a class stun, which is not tied on ultimate? AWESOME!
    Give me that, I want to make my ice mage finally happen for PvP.
    Edited by Fiktius on September 22, 2018 2:09PM
  • The_Last_Titan
    The_Last_Titan
    ✭✭✭
    that target requirement is ruff, like trying to run away and heal = fail
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that target requirement is ruff, like trying to run away and heal = fail

Yes most idiotic change ever
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should it be saved?

As a tank with high hp anyway, that's kinda the point right?

Right now it's a heal skill with no target requirement that provides supplemental damage to both contribute to group dps and provide a class innate source of the chilled status effect to cause AoE minor maim. It's a perfect tank skill for trash packs.

New version requires target to get heal and loses all damage, chilled procs, and AoE effect for a single target stun.

It seems so bad that its obvious how desperate magdens are for a stun. I support a class stun but not like this

Edit: it also makes sensible use of the class passives as it stands but will not after the change which diminishes their worth

Edit: it's so bad lol

I forgot to mention, i come from PVP perspective.
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should change the other morph of artic blast to the stun cause no one uses that and leave this morph alone.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should change the other morph of artic blast to the stun cause no one uses that and leave this morph alone.

PvE tanks

Especially next update when Wardens are gonna hog all the Minor Toughness
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • FoolishOptimist
    FoolishOptimist
    ✭✭✭
    Wardens have a whole skill line dedicated to healing, we don’t need health-based heals on our tanking skill line when we have access to the exceptionally cheap and OP Budding Seeds AoE heal.

This skill should have received the same treatment as gripping shards.

Maintain arctic blast as a tanking morph and keep its current design.
    Alter Polar Wind into the magicka and spell damage version.
    I think that this skill could use the permafrost addition of stunning any enemy hit three times by the DoT. Alter Permafrost so that it hits harder on enemies under a certain percentage of health. Medically speaking, trauma patients experiencing hypothermia are likely to have poorer survivability outcomes. so thematically it makes sense to capitalise frost skills as an execute.

PvP Frost Mages utilise high health builds to support their damage and snares. Please don’t remove one of the two skills they have going for them.
    Edited by FoolishOptimist on September 22, 2018 9:38PM
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I'm wondering is why does ZOS so often choose to change the base skill instead of baking a new idea or concept into a lesser-used morph, or even have the base skill be an option to use instead of morphing.

And why require a target? It seems possible to just have the targetted part be 'extra' and fire off something if you happen to be targetting someone, but activate the heal and other stuff every press no matter what.
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why should it be saved?

Excuse me? Please read my lengthy post to understand the struggles of MagWarden and why this skill is important for the setup. Can't believe you're pushing your stamwarden twink agenda.

60k hp punching bag ... for real? I have 27k HP in PvP in 6 Light and this skill is essential.
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Arthalion1
    Arthalion1
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I do not want to see tanks disadvantaged, I would very much like a class stun.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love you have people in this thread saying "We got plenty of heals in the healing line, use that" completely ignoring the other morph bloody Heals still....They just removed all the damage from this morph.....Its now just a *** stun.
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with more offensive capabilities and I doubt anyone will argue against that one bit. However, Arctic Blast is already being used for multiple totally different purposes and was an extremely poor choice to modify into this class stun. They need to find a better fit for it on a lesser used skill and not mess up/delete currently working, popular and fun skills.

Edited by Enkil on September 23, 2018 1:46AM
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arctic Blast (AB) in its current form is an enabler for many PvP builds (Frostmage, Healthen, Warden Hybrid Tank) and provides not only healing and damage, but also utility and crowd control:

- AB delivers just enough on-demand (this is the important part, not needing a target) over time healing to be sufficient when layered with trellis
    - AB AOE damage is perfect (50% of WOE even on 25-30k HP) as a secondary damage source to be layered with either Winters Revenge or WOE (or both ofc)
    - AB functions as a soft counter to cloak (which is very valuable on MagWarden - like a Warden "hurricane" that ticks every 2 sec instead of 1s for Stamsorcs)
    - AB is the single largest contributor to chilled into deep freeze stacking (due to its high status effect proc %) which is essential for Frost Mage in PvP

I could go much more into detail on why AB in its current iteration on live is one of the best designed warden skills but the above mentioned points alone hopefully show that the trade-off to the current PTS version is huge and not desirable for many working MagWarden setups (those are not exactly easy to create considering the overall state of the class).

I really want a CC, there is not a single day in my MagWarden PvP life where I don't wish I had one. But I am convinced breaking that one of the very few big assets (AB in that case) the class has to bruteforce a CC into the toolset is not helping the Warden class. We are losing out overall.

Edit:
    I really hope threads like this one will help making ZOS reconsider their suggestion and be more sensible about the implementation of a CC.

Gameplay-wise, from a PvP pov, a MagWarden is already forced into manual multi-camera angle targeting (i couldnt find a better wording) - Fissure has to be manually targeted since its a cone, Winters revenge is a manually targeted ground AOE which is always a pain in fast-paced combat situations, Pollen is as well, Trellis is manually single target camera perspective dependant, Growth is another cone.

In Short - we are already really busy with targeting stuff (both, friendlies and opponents)... Wardens have to be very active in that regard compared to other classes. In my perosnal opinion, the CC we need is a CC that won't consume another exclusive global cooldown and targeting maneuver.

Spot on. I hope this type of sensible feedback makes it to the devs.
  • Synapsis123
    Synapsis123
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new artic blast change is nice, but only if they did it on the morph that heals an ally. No one takes that garbage.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still fond of Swarm recasts on a target, fearing the target, rather than an odd AF Stun+Heal. But understand that that would then screw over StamWarden (as their stun pulls too much into their off-resource).
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »

PvE tanks

Incorrect sir. I play mostly PvP, and the current artic blast was a very important part of my build. So I'd appreciate if you open up to larger possibilities than just a PvE tank.
    Edited by Dracan_Fontom on September 23, 2018 2:48AM
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polar wind needs a health scaling aoe ice dot with a heal as a tanking morph and arctic blast needs a mag scaling single target dot with a stun as the dps morph