The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do the different crafting skills level so unevenly?

Ikasugami
Ikasugami
✭✭
Why is it that making a potion in alchemy gives you so much more experience in that skill than crafting a piece of armor in blacksmithing or clothing? I have a character that is now level 47....my alchemy is at level 48 while blacksmithing / clothing / woodworking is at around 27! In fact crafting in say blacksmithing, even though I would craft things at a higher level than my character, levels painfully slow....I wish it would level more like alchemy where I make potions at a lower level but it levels so much faster.

Best Answer

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ikasugami wrote: »
    Why is it that making a potion in alchemy gives you so much more experience in that skill than crafting a piece of armor in blacksmithing or clothing? I have a character that is now level 47....my alchemy is at level 48 while blacksmithing / clothing / woodworking is at around 27! In fact crafting in say blacksmithing, even though I would craft things at a higher level than my character, levels painfully slow....I wish it would level more like alchemy where I make potions at a lower level but it levels so much faster.

Alchemy and Provisioning level through creation as there is no potion or food deconstruction. The higher level of the consumable you craft, the more exp.

The other skills level fastest through deconstruct. The higher the level the item, the more exp.

Items crafted by other players deconstruct for more exp. This is especially useful with enchanting as there are no intricate glyphs, so get yourself a glyph buddy. Extract (deconstruct) all the glyphs you find and recieve, collect all the runes you can find, learn all the rune effects by using them once, craft your useless runes into useless glyphs and send to your buddy. The glyphs you recieve from each other will level you much fatser. If the runes are green, blue or purple, they will give you more skill like exp.

Daily crafting writs also give good reward items, gold and "inspiration" - which is skill line exp.

Once you have a CP160 level character, if you make a second character, just give your new character all the CP160 items you get to decon. Your first character levels the slowest in crafting, the rest are a lot quicker.

Need items to deconstruct, jewelry specifically? Hit the dolmen train. The higher your level, the higher the level of your items to decon so the more skill line exp. The dolemn train is how I maxed my jewelry on 4 characters already and now I sell my CP160 intricate jewelry items to my Guild via our guild store.

Speaking of Guild stores, you can but CP160 intricates from guild traders. Try not to spend more then 150ish gold. Over 200g for each CP160 intricate is an utter rip off.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
    Answer ✓
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    my experience is.... quickest to slowest....

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭

Items crafted by other players deconstruct for more exp.

I'm not seeing that in effect. I even just ran my last Alt-crafter L43 Enchanter with ESO+ and Tower Cp and the IP for both a crafted and a Loot Superb Green glyph were the same at 9501 IP. This has been the norm for my testing for the last few years except for Intricate and Ornate loot items.

Also according to the most recent data from Sunshine Daydream Crafting guide, Jewelry Loot is def giving more IP than crafted which has not been the norm before and may be an oversight from ZOS so far.

http://www.sunshine-daydream.us/ESO/jewelry.html#Jleveling

Also with BS-WW-Cloth, Intricate and Ornate loot does not have an upper limit to decon IP, it keeps increasing until you reach L50 when you don't receive any more IP. Crafted Decon has max returns that end before loot does.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »

I'm not seeing that in effect. I even just ran my last Alt-crafter L43 Enchanter with ESO+ and Tower Cp and the IP for both a crafted and a Loot Superb Green glyph were the same at 9501 IP. This has been the norm for my testing for the last few years except for Intricate and Ornate loot items.

Also according to the most recent data from Sunshine Daydream Crafting guide, Jewelry Loot is def giving more IP than crafted which has not been the norm before and may be an oversight from ZOS so far.

Also with BS-WW-Cloth, Intricate and Ornate loot does not have an upper limit to decon IP, it keeps increasing until you reach L50 when you don't receive any more IP. Crafted Decon has max returns that end before loot does.
    its an cap on how much xp in faction of bar you get so an level 5 in crafting will not get more xp of an cp160 white item than an cp160 intricate. Same as its an cap for quest reward xp so cashing in a lots of quests during double xp event with an +150% scroll will be disappointing. This does not apply to cp leveling.

i tend to drop intricate items in bank and have an alt deconstruct, is on 8 character in clothing and 7 in wood and blacksmithing, I tend to deconstruct ancestor silk items as the mats are more expensive than the npc trader price.
    Enchanting I'm on my 5 character. Just deconstructing drops.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looted gear has always rewarded more inspiration than crafted.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

its an cap on how much xp in faction of bar you get so an level 5 in crafting will not get more xp of an cp160 white item than an cp160 intricate. Same as its an cap for quest reward xp so cashing in a lots of quests during double xp event with an +150% scroll will be disappointing. This does not apply to cp leveling.

i tend to drop intricate items in bank and have an alt deconstruct, is on 8 character in clothing and 7 in wood and blacksmithing, I tend to deconstruct ancestor silk items as the mats are more expensive than the npc trader price.
    Enchanting I'm on my 5 character. Just deconstructing drops.

Yes, the CAP is there for both Crafted and Loot, but that is the CAP in action, not the max IP possible from any item as the CAP goes away.

The CAP is gone for CP160 Superb Green Loot Glyphs at level 11 Enchanting.

Edited by SpAEkus on September 6, 2018 6:55PM
  • ictopbasli
    ictopbasli
    ✭✭✭

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

Nope, woodworking is the slowest one. At least for me.
    Thalmor rules!
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ictopbasli wrote: »

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

Woodworking may appear to be your slowest due to the lower drop rate of woodworking items to deconstruct, but you get far more inspiration per deconstructed woodworking item than you do from blacksmithing or clothing items.

Clothing tends to be the fastest for me because body pieces tend to drop the most from overland mobs, and you have a 67% for that body piece to be light/medium which goes towards clothing inspiration.

If in doubt, do a test using only intricate items from each line. Start at level 10, 20, 30, whatever and deconstruct say.... 20 intricate pieces each and see which skill line(s) have advanced the most. Woodworking will be far out ahead of the other two.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

um.... there are only 6 items?
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

There are 7 if you count each craft - did you miss the / in above?
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jewelry slowest for sure.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Jewelry slowest for sure.
    i found it level pretty fast if you do writs on multiple alts and feed back to the one leveling.
    Save up the intricate for the last 15 levels.
    Enchanting is very fast if you make stuff for alt to deconstruct.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure a lot depends on how you decide to level the skills. If your primary source of inspiration is the intricate items fed back in the daily writ rewards, you get one for each skill per day, even though the distribution in random drops from adventuring is probably different. That would make the higher inspiration from each item even more of a bias to woodworking.

If you collect random drops as the source, then the higher number of items available for clothing and smithing should bias it the other way. There are 14 types in each skill, instead of just six.

Supplies of materials could also affect you. If you're always running out of Jute, as I was before the latest adjustment, then clothing skill slows down, because you're not doing the writs, and getting the intricate pieces back.

The consumables are a different story. Provisioning can just be raised by making the same thing repeatedly, provided that you have enough ingredients.You'll need skill points for higher ranks, but you can take the level all the way without them. Alchemy and enchanting can also be raised all the way (with enough ingredients) and the skill points used later, but give less advance per use of the craft. Alchemy resources are fairly abundant, and the level one crafter can use any of them. Enchanting locks you out of using all the runes until you raise the rank, so that can be a factor, but it also gives inspiration for deconstruction like the equipment crafts.

This all means that creating an alt for someone who has a huge reserve in their craft bag is a different story from someone starting their first character, too. Those players can also feed weapons, armour and glyphs between characters for deconstruction.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As others have mentioned, deconstructing is the way to level all crafts except for provisioning and alchemy, which rely solely on creating items for XP. You aren't going to get very far crafting iron daggers or leather bracers (ala Skyrim).
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

nope.... woodwork has 6 items.

bow

3 offensive staffs

resto staff

shield

i learned to count and add up a long time ago..... 1 + 3 + 1 + 1 still makes 6.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

bow

3 offensive staffs

resto staff

shield

My apologies, I thought the reply was that there were only 6 total crafts (items) listed above. I was reading quotes to quotes and not seeing the full context above.
    Edited by SpAEkus on September 11, 2018 8:29PM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

bow

3 offensive staffs

resto staff

shield

This whole chain of posts is a big misunderstanding it appears.

One poster is talking about 6 items in the woodworking line (bow, inferno staff, ice staff, lightning staff, restoration staff & shield), the other is talking about 7 items as it pertains to crafting disciplines (alchemy, blacksmithing, clothing, enchanting, jewelry, provisioning & woodworking).

And this is why texting ends marriages.... lol.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

bow

3 offensive staffs

resto staff

shield

My apologies, I thought the reply was that there were only 6 total crafts (items) listed above. I was reading quotes to quotes and not seeing the full context above.

hey it's fine. threading is the bane of sensible conversation.

my point in that bit was that there is no real difference in research times between jewellery and woodworking provided you are sensible about it and max the passives first... and ensure you have gear with all the traits to start with.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

well level is also important. Higher level: more ip Once you have a CP160+ max level at crafting character, leveling the crafting skills for alts is so much easier. Just grind for CP160 stuff and give to alt to decon.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭

well level is also important. Higher level: more ip Once you have a CP160+ max level at crafting character, leveling the crafting skills for alts is so much easier. Just grind for CP160 stuff and give to alt to decon.

Yes it is def easier when you have max level loot to feed any alt.

With this discussion I also decided to reaffirm my own results and did not get consistent Loot Glyph IP returns. Crafted glyphs will still give a consistent IP return that has not changed for 2 years or longer. Loot glyphs can now give the same or less or more than crafted and I will have to continue to test to see if there is any pattern to what determines the different results.

As ZOS has now changed the glyphs from having ranges per tier to only having a minimum item level, you can now get two loot glyphs of the same Essence, color and level that provide different stats as shown in the item popup.

I think this is may be the old overlap of glyph ranges that ZOS didn't actually remove mathematically and so now you can also get diff IP returns from two loot glyphs that appear the same. Or loot glyphs now just have individual decon IP values that we may not be able to accurately catalogue.

Using my CP677 character with Level 45 Enchanting. ESO+ and No Tower CP. No IP CAP is in effect. All loot was Kill Drops and no containers or stolen.

lootvcraft.jpg

Bottom line, Craft-Swap-Decon will always return consistent results and if you have the resources to start with high level items you will level quickly and at a known timeline. Loot Glyphs can still be relied on as a free source of leveling and can give at least as much or more IP as often as crafted.

With BS (and should show the same for WW and Cloth) low level plain white loot starts giving higher IP as soon as Level 5 items. BS-WW-Cloth Loot decon is always the better IP returns since craft-swap-decon crafters will not waste materials to match higher quality loot items.

Using a new Level 11 character with level 1 BS, ESO+, NO CP. IP CAPs are in effect but loot was kept at Skill Level to avoid them. All loot was Kill Drops and no container or stolen.

bslootvscraft.jpg

Edited by SpAEkus on September 18, 2018 7:01PM
  • bri5
    bri5
    ✭✭✭
    Ikasugami wrote: »

Alchemy and Provisioning level through creation as there is no potion or food deconstruction. The higher level of the consumable you craft, the more exp.

The other skills level fastest through deconstruct. The higher the level the item, the more exp.

Items crafted by other players deconstruct for more exp. This is especially useful with enchanting as there are no intricate glyphs, so get yourself a glyph buddy. Extract (deconstruct) all the glyphs you find and recieve, collect all the runes you can find, learn all the rune effects by using them once, craft your useless runes into useless glyphs and send to your buddy. The glyphs you recieve from each other will level you much fatser. If the runes are green, blue or purple, they will give you more skill like exp.

Daily crafting writs also give good reward items, gold and "inspiration" - which is skill line exp.

Once you have a CP160 level character, if you make a second character, just give your new character all the CP160 items you get to decon. Your first character levels the slowest in crafting, the rest are a lot quicker.

Need items to deconstruct, jewelry specifically? Hit the dolmen train. The higher your level, the higher the level of your items to decon so the more skill line exp. The dolemn train is how I maxed my jewelry on 4 characters already and now I sell my CP160 intricate jewelry items to my Guild via our guild store.

Speaking of Guild stores, you can but CP160 intricates from guild traders. Try not to spend more then 150ish gold. Over 200g for each CP160 intricate is an utter rip off.

A glyph buddy! nice one!
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭

provisioning

alchemy

woodwork/jewellery

clothing

blacksmith/enchanting

Funnily enough, Provisioning was my last to get to level 50 (but was I then leveled it from 20 to 50 in one quick sitting)
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!