Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran Maelstrom Arena Feedback

• boombazookajd
    boombazookajd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    weg0 wrote: »
    disintegr8 wrote: »

I've watched videos and to me it's like everything else in this game, a DPS race. Sure, there are mechanics you have to avoid but the sooner you kill the enemies, the less time you have to spend avoiding the mechanics and the less chance you have of running out of resources.

Not correct. It is almost entirely about mechanics.

In fact, the stage 5 boss is a perfect example of how merely focusing on burning down the boss with dps is a sure fire way to add hours of frustration. Stage 7 is a death trap if you don’t know not to use interrupts at what otherwise seem to be the perfect time.

I have to disagree with you here. You picked about the only boss in the arena that has an anti-nuke mechanic. Round 1= dps race. Round 4, DPS race. Round 6. Yep. Round 7, check. Round 8, yep. Round 9...well, absolutely.

Sure, mechanics are there but they only get worse, and worse the longer you hang around, like round 4 and the dwemer robot. There are indeed mechanics, like in round 6 where you have to clear the obelisks or in round 7 where you have to hid under the shields but most of vMA can be handled by high dps. If you don't think so, watch Alcasts videos. He skips by most of the more dangerous mechanics because he just nukes everything before he gets overwhelmed with adds.
    Drathus Delenu- Dunmer magDk: Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Stormproof, Peak Scaler, Clockwork Confounder, Orderly, Master Wizard, Cloudrest Hero, Undaunted, Dragonstar Arena Champion
    Thoronir Rolston- Breton petsorc: Stormproof
    Zaakazha-Redguard stamblade: Boethia's Scythe, Clockwork Confounder, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Dragonstar Arena Champion

Scrubs:
    Justinius Maximus Decimus- Altmer magblade
    Agronak gro'Mashul- Orc DK Tank
    Valerya Hawkcroft- Breton healer
    Zaaka- Imperial stamDK/crafter

✭✭
    I have to agree with the OP that the weapon system is flawed. I completed vMA the first time about 6 months ago after weeks of trying. I was so happy to have completed it, and the fact that I got dual wield weapons as a reward seemed fine given that the RNG meant I would need to run it a few more times to get the lightning staff I wanted.

For the next 9 runs I had the side goal of Flawless Conqueror while trying to get that lightning staff. Then, after getting the achievement on my 10th run, I still didn't have anything but dual wield, 2h or s&b, but I wanted a staff so I could create a competitive magicka DPS character.

It's been 6 months and I've run vMA over a hundred times since. Still no lightning staff. I'm so fed up with the content now that I've given up and started a new stam toon so I could use one of the many bows I have. I even started making the leaderboard (as a sorc), and tbh the most useful thing I got was yellow tannins from deconstructing the gear.

Having some sort of system where players can choose their weapons, whether it be a token based system or even letting you pick between stamina or magicka weapons, would be much better.
    PC | NA
    Guildmaster of Noob Nation

Snegurd Limp-Spear: Nord DK tank
    Milamber of Midkemia: Breton Sorc dps

Flawless Conqueror | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Assistant Alienist | Shadow Breaker | Blackrose Executioner
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    The random part in drop system, the fact that you are alone (in vDSA u get four kind of drops and can trade gear with team mates).

Let's just put some number, after all it's not that hard as we have these possible drops:

S&B:
    -Axe
    -Sword
    -Mace
    -Dagger
    They all comes with the shield so i wont list it

2H:
    -Greatsword
    -Battle Axe
    -Maul

DUAL:
    -Sword
    -Mace
    -Dagger
    these comes in two, so i'll list only 3 items but i'm speculating here since i really dont know how the drop combination works, could be up to 27 chanches to get this instead of 3

BOW:
    -Bow

DESTRO:
    -Flame Staff
    -Lightning Staff
    -Ice Staff

RESTO:
    -Restoration Staff

This makes it that you have 1/15 (6.66%) chanches to get the desired item (if my speculations on duals are correct, i've never seen tons of dual drops which would otherwise happens with more chanches).

Without the Transmute System you would have to be lucky twice in a row because u only had 1/9 chanches to also get the desired trait making the chances being 1/135 ( 0,74%).

I went there for a flame staff during event (double drops) and found it at 3rd attempt (normally it would have been the 5th or 6th) which means i had some luck since the event is most likely to happen during it's half phase (7-8 run)

Yet, the fact that once things were worse doesn't mean that now they are good, even with these odds it could happen to run it 20 times before getting the drop and the fact that once it could require more than a hundred runs (but most likely around 70) only means that the problem got better not that it's good.

Still I dont think it should be a sure drop where u can choose it, maybe the final chest should drop bound "weapon fragments" that, if collected in numbers and merged (with some gold tax), create a weapon of choiche in a way similiar to psijic potion/glass frag motifs.

Anyway be thankful to the Arena, it changes your playstyle and you should really do it on regular basis (beside some hard VET DLC content this game is fairly easy and it's easy to 'get lazy' and forgot to time shields, heals, damage and such, u dont need it since u win anyway. The arena is where better players are forged, even by not completing it just by progressing and that's where your skill stays sharp for when you want to go in some Vet DLC (dungeon or trial) content.

My only real problem with Arena is that it's not doable in an healer or tank (pve) build. It would be wonderful to have 3 version of it with the tank one having less hp (but stronger-hits) enemies and the healer version as an in-between.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Noldornir , in other threads, I've encountered mentioning that the weapon drop table is different, and divided by weapon type: 1h, 2h, bow, staff. So you may have fewer classes with higher probabilities, and then you further have probabilities of particular type (axe, dagger) dropping inside of those. But I don't think anything is official, so... go figure. ^^

And I'm not sure how useful Arena is as a training dummy. It's lengthy, and while it's training skills, reflexes, it makes one discover new things about own class and make better use of it... in 16-man content, focus shifts to other things like coordination. Arena is awfully repetitive and mechanical (not to mention unforgiving), running it simply for the challenge becomes a chore when you can run something else, possibly also challenging, in a nice company of guildmates and tackle problems together. And running for reward... the dubious usefulness of most weapons (only inferno and bow are useful, basically) and flukes of randomness turn Arena into a chore long before desired weapon drops. Running for the sense of having completed it also wears out very fast. I run it, but I never look forward to each run, it's just not as enjoyable anymore as sharing time with friends and tackling group content.
    Edited by John_Falstaff on August 31, 2018 10:04AM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Noldornir , in other threads, I've encountered mentioning that the weapon drop table is different, and divided by weapon type: 1h, 2h, bow, staff. So you may have fewer classes with higher probabilities, and then you further have probabilities of particular type (axe, dagger) dropping inside of those. But I don't think anything is official, so... go figure. ^^

And I'm not sure how useful Arena is as a training dummy. It's lengthy, and while it's training skills, reflexes, it makes one discover new things about own class and make better use of it... in 16-man content, focus shifts to other things like coordination. Arena is awfully repetitive and mechanical (not to mention unforgiving), running it simply for the challenge becomes a chore when you can run something else, possibly also challenging, in a nice company of guildmates and tackle problems together. And running for reward... the dubious usefulness of most weapons (only inferno and bow are useful, basically) and flukes of randomness turn Arena into a chore long before desired weapon drops. Running for the sense of having completed it also wears out very fast. I run it, but I never look forward to each run, it's just not as enjoyable anymore as sharing time with friends and tackling group content.

Appreciate that this content was designed around 300CP players - Before all of todays OP sets and general PvE understanding (Rotations, abilities etc)

As a tool for getting better at the game it's very good - In an environment where the difference between life and death is on you and you only, of course you're going to improve. Yes, group content requires coordination, but it requires it between individuals and you'll get exposure to your own coordination, running VMA.

It's much easier now to get your desired weapon from minimal runs. The people who complain about this have obviously never played another MMO at end-game, where it's usually a much longer grind.
    weg0 wrote: »
    disintegr8 wrote: »

I've watched videos and to me it's like everything else in this game, a DPS race. Sure, there are mechanics you have to avoid but the sooner you kill the enemies, the less time you have to spend avoiding the mechanics and the less chance you have of running out of resources.

Not correct. It is almost entirely about mechanics.

In fact, the stage 5 boss is a perfect example of how merely focusing on burning down the boss with dps is a sure fire way to add hours of frustration. Stage 7 is a death trap if you don’t know not to use interrupts at what otherwise seem to be the perfect time.

I have to disagree with you here. You picked about the only boss in the arena that has an anti-nuke mechanic. Round 1= dps race. Round 4, DPS race. Round 6. Yep. Round 7, check. Round 8, yep. Round 9...well, absolutely.

Sure, mechanics are there but they only get worse, and worse the longer you hang around, like round 4 and the dwemer robot. There are indeed mechanics, like in round 6 where you have to clear the obelisks or in round 7 where you have to hid under the shields but most of vMA can be handled by high dps. If you don't think so, watch Alcasts videos. He skips by most of the more dangerous mechanics because he just nukes everything before he gets overwhelmed with adds.

It's not really about mechanics at this point in the game - See the 300CP oriented comment above.

Back when this arena came out, 30k DPS~ was alright. You've got guys doing much more than that now, so it's no surprise that the focus has shifted on to straight nukes - It had shifted on to nukes a couple patches after release (For top scores)

Round 5, if you nuke too fast you just get 4 adds out for the final platform, adds that take a couple of dots or hits whilst you're on the move to the last platform. There's no anti-nuke mechanic, only increased risk (that can be dealt with very very easily)

Round 7 you don't need to interrupt at any point, I'm not sure where anyone got that impression (Unless you're going for 0 bubble kills) - Too many people attribute nothing but luck to R7 and it's one of the easiest fights. You can literally hug a green pool all fight, CC break/Block a chomp and nuke.

Mechanics are there but can safely be avoided and probably should be on today's runs. If not I recommend going to an actual dummy and practicing.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @BNOC , I wouldn't say there's such a thing as 'easier' thing where random number generator is involved. On average, it's faster, but I see outliers with two hundred runs under their belt and no weapon they're looking for, regardless of the trait. I don't think it's a good design, and I don't think that Korean MMOs with their hideous grind must be a role model for what hopefully aims to be a better MMO.

Complains are not about the grind. Complains are about grinding a not very replayable content that becomes a boring chore very very soon, with high probability of getting no reward (as most weapons are useless), with pride for finishing it being very short-lived, and with diminishing returns on it being a universal ESO training tool - as soon things wind down to knowing spawn points, having good damage output and finding proper cadence.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BNOC , I wouldn't say there's such a thing as 'easier' thing where random number generator is involved. On average, it's faster, but I see outliers with two hundred runs under their belt and no weapon they're looking for, regardless of the trait. I don't think it's a good design, and I don't think that Korean MMOs with their hideous grind must be a role model for what hopefully aims to be a better MMO.

Complains are not about the grind. Complains are about grinding a not very replayable content that becomes a boring chore very very soon, with high probability of getting no reward (as most weapons are useless), with pride for finishing it being very short-lived, and with diminishing returns on it being a universal ESO training tool - as soon things wind down to knowing spawn points, having good damage output and finding proper cadence.

I'd be interested in seeing unquestionable proof that people are doing 200 runs without getting the weapon type they want, anyone can say that and it would be, quite literally, the worst luck in the world.
    If you took that down to a % chance, I bet it's unrealistically low and with that, just hearsay.

"as soon things wind down to knowing spawn points, having good damage output and finding proper cadence."
    Diminishing returns are just that, you're still moving forwards with generic game mechanics and understanding, not backwards - The things you mentioned are all core components of success in this game, solo or grouped, any improvement is improvement.

Your statement about content becoming boring and I agree it is at this point, but that encompasses every single piece of PvE content that ever existed - Normally content is killed with the release of new expansions and level caps - For us it's with the addition of powerful sets, CP gain, frontloading and so on...
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @BNOC , now I'm curious what would you demand as unquestionable proof. There's own report on the forums from someone with two hundred runs without the weapon they want (I think it was inferno, though I'd need to find it again). If you'd rather assume the person is lying, I'm not sure what other proof to bring.

With enough people running, there always will be outliers. That's the nature of randomness. Yes, probability is low, but not unrealistically so. With 17 weapons on the loot table (if memory serves, and if I omitted something, won't make much difference) probability of not getting a particular weapon type in 200 runs would be 5.42e-6, five per million. Yes, it's very low, people like those are outliers - but, looking at ESO 3-million player base, not surprised to have a number of those around. (And again, true to nature of randomness, the real number can be anywhere.) Nothing in 150 runs? That would be one in ten thousands, not a small risk. Hundred runs? Should be much more common, one player per five hundreds has to make 100 runs before he sees his bow or inferno. And so on and so forth. Opposite also holds true of course, I know someone who never runs Maelstrom after having gotten his bow on first clear, bit that's the gist. Everyone bears the risk of being an outlier, and in a very realistic sense.

The gripe with spawn points and cadence I've mentioned is that spawn points are Maelstrom spawn points, and the cadence is Maelstrom cadence. After all that is memorized, it's zero progress: remembering all that won't be of help in any new content. It's like knowing chess openings - can play by hand to 15th move, but first move off the analyzed line, and it's time to start calculating at the board. With some exaggeration - grinding Arena endlessly and then going into MoL is like studying chess openings and then heading to a Fischer random tourney.
  • HappyElephant
    HappyElephant
    ✭✭✭

I strongly feel that the final chest should give a different weapon each time until you're gone through all weapon options.
    This would still leave in some form of RNG but at least you'll know the chance of getting what you want is increasing.
    Its really dis-encouraging to get 10 weapons in a row that are useless for both magicka and stamina builds.

The time I have to play ESO is pretty limited so I would rather spend it with a group, doing something I actually enjoy.

A token system would also work if you dont need 50 vMA runs to get the item you want.

Completely agree!
    Edited by HappyElephant on September 4, 2018 1:15AM
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Septimus_Magna , in practical sense, the chance of getting what you want is increasing as the number of runs grows (in each run, the chance is the same, but the chance of not getting the weapon over N runs will steadily decrease as N grows). Problem is, the slope is smooth and the trail of probability distribution is infinite, there's no hard guarantee that any number of runs would yield the desired weapon. So, yes, the content is pretty daunting when there are so many runs with deconstruction material as reward, and no guaranteed light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Septimus_Magna , in practical sense, the chance of getting what you want is increasing as the number of runs grows (in each run, the chance is the same, but the chance of not getting the weapon over N runs will steadily decrease as N grows). Problem is, the slope is smooth and the trail of probability distribution is infinite, there's no hard guarantee that any number of runs would yield the desired weapon. So, yes, the content is pretty daunting when there are so many runs with deconstruction material as reward, and no guaranteed light at the end of the tunnel.

Thats all true, the problem is that for some weapons the drop chance is too low. Ive farmed vMA for long enough to get the flawless run. Still not a single lightning or flame staff. When Summerset was announced and 2h weapons counted as 2 pieces I stopped farming. I can pull 40k on my magblade which is more than enough for most content.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Septimus_Magna , I can feel with you. ^^ I'm still grinding for bow, and I can make a garden fence out of staves - I have every possible kind, inferno included, much good as it does to me on stamina DK. It only stopped gathering dust in the bank when I decided to try a magblade recently, so there's that at least. Probabilities on the drop table may be equal, but not everyone's into spending hundreds of hours gambling against random number generator that can make anyone an outlier. Invested effort should result in some gratification, and it feels a waste of time to run for another useless maul or sword and shield.
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree with everyone!

Buff vMA and stop power creep!
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • HappyElephant
    HappyElephant
    ✭✭✭

Buff vMA and stop power creep!

If you need a challenge try to get in the top 10 on the vMA leaderboard.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've made it a daily event to run vMA when I get home from work. Still trying to get the bow for my stamBlade and inferno staff for my Sorc. It honestly feels like I come home from work to do more work. But it's become an obsession for me now. Probably about 20+ runs under my belt, and I've gotten everything except those two weapons that I want. I used to care about getting a high score, now I just use any sigil at will to beat the place as fast as possible.
  • Swifigames
    Swifigames
    ✭✭✭
    For as difficult as this content is, there should be no weapon in the entire game that is better than a vMA weapon.

I've run this (expletive deleted) arena more times than I can count, burned through this many soul gems, spent who knows how much gold in repairs and repair kits, and I can't even imagine how many hours I've spent in there smashing my head against a brick wall.

I find all the 'build' tutorials and class setups that suggest any type of arena weapon mostly comedic at this point. So and so is recommending the maelstrom destro for this particular build, so and so is recommending the maelstrom bow for this particular build. I can only laugh...like it's just so (expletive deleted) easy to run through the arena and pick one up. I know that's not really anyone's fault but the content creators, but good lord, please realize not everyone is l337 and the vast majority of the population simply does not have one. But that's alright, you just keep rubbing it in all of our faces.

It has taken me on such a torturous journey. It's no wonder there are specific posts that make certain up front of just how difficult the content is, that it's going to be frustrating, that you're going to die....a lot, that it's all just mechanics, it's going to shame you, etc..

The arena does much more than that. There are no posts that do justice to the torture and torment this content will bring you as a human being. Sometimes I just want to quit for good. But I can't, I keep crawling back in to get my *** kicked over and over again.
    I've experienced difficult content in games before...but nothing quite like this. What do you call it? RNG? There might be sections of the arena that may very well be patterned and predictable, but not completely, and I believe that is what makes it so difficult. A vast majority of the time it feels completely based on luck.
    There are no words that are friendly for how I feel about this content. I'm sure I'll keep smashing my head against the wall in an attempt to secure one of those prized, legendary weapons. I'm completely certain if that day ever comes, I would assume that I would not get a resto or bow and that it would be something entirely different from my preferred play style. It's really going to be something.
    I'm not sure it will ever happen, but I'm (deleted) certain that whatever it is should it happen, I will never set out to experience it again.

It's like this..
    "Hey honey?! You remember that one place that gave us the worst food poisoning we've both ever experienced?" "Yiss." "Well I think we should go there for dinner tonight." Just No...

It's the most random, disgustingly difficult experience I've ever had in a game and I'm obviously disappointed that I am apparently unable to complete it. I've gotten so close, the kind of close where you were sure it was right there, then pfft...not today dude. And not tomorrow, or the next day, or the week after that. And don't even think about trying next month.

Why do I do this to myself? And better yet, why did you give me the option to do this to myself? Right of passage...ooooh, aaaah, *jazz hands*.
    :smiley:
    Edited by Swifigames on September 17, 2018 12:09PM
    "We don't want other worlds, we want mirrors." - Gibarian
    --
    Nightblade (Bosmer) - Kremlok
    Templar (Khajiit) - Drops-the-Ball
    Templar (Altmer) - Lyranil of Alinor
    Necromancer (Altmer) - Kalomyr
    Sorcerer (Dunmer) - Lord Eldruin
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    This arena has broken my will a few times. I am on the last boss! I thought I would never beat him but last night I finally got close. So time to go back at it for a while. I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Not sure I'll ever do it again but you never know. Once/If I get that first clear I'll have to see. Not doing it for a weapon - just the glory.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Acharnor wrote: »
    I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

It's a train. ^^

But really, congratulations. ^^ It's a feat to beat it. And you'll see that on second and subsequent runs, it gets easier - not at once, but over time.
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swifigames wrote: »
    For as difficult as this content is, there should be no weapon in the entire game that is better than a vMA weapon.

I've run this (expletive deleted) arena more times than I can count, burned through this many soul gems, spent who knows how much gold in repairs and repair kits, and I can't even imagine how many hours I've spent in there smashing my head against a brick wall.

I find all the 'build' tutorials and class setups that suggest any type of arena weapon mostly comedic at this point. So and so is recommending the maelstrom destro for this particular build, so and so is recommending the maelstrom bow for this particular build. I can only laugh...like it's just so (expletive deleted) easy to run through the arena and pick one up. I know that's not really anyone's fault but the content creators, but good lord, please realize not everyone is l337 and the vast majority of the population simply does not have one. But that's alright, you just keep rubbing it in all of our faces.

It has taken me on such a torturous journey. It's no wonder there are specific posts that make certain up front of just how difficult the content is, that it's going to be frustrating, that you're going to die....a lot, that it's all just mechanics, it's going to shame you, etc..

The arena does much more than that. There are no posts that do justice to the torture and torment this content will bring you as a human being. Sometimes I just want to quit for good. But I can't, I keep crawling back in to get my *** kicked over and over again.
    I've experienced difficult content in games before...but nothing quite like this. What do you call it? RNG? There might be sections of the arena that may very well be patterned and predictable, but not completely, and I believe that is what makes it so difficult. A vast majority of the time it feels completely based on luck.
    There are no words that are friendly for how I feel about this content. I'm sure I'll keep smashing my head against the wall in an attempt to secure one of those prized, legendary weapons. I'm completely certain if that day ever comes, I would assume that I would not get a resto or bow and that it would be something entirely different from my preferred play style. It's really going to be something.
    I'm not sure it will ever happen, but I'm (deleted) certain that whatever it is should it happen, I will never set out to experience it again.

It's like this..
    "Hey honey?! You remember that one place that gave us the worst food poisoning we've both ever experienced?" "Yiss." "Well I think we should go there for dinner tonight." Just No...

It's the most random, disgustingly difficult experience I've ever had in a game and I'm obviously disappointed that I am apparently unable to complete it. I've gotten so close, the kind of close where you were sure it was right there, then pfft...not today dude. And not tomorrow, or the next day, or the week after that. And don't even think about trying next month.

Why do I do this to myself? And better yet, why did you give me the option to do this to myself? Right of passage...ooooh, aaaah, *jazz hands*.
    :smiley:

There are a lot of factors that can improve and simplify your maelstrom experience:

- use proper bufffood (reg food), pots
    - get yourself good gear that help you sustain and increase your dmg (Vicious Ophidian on stam is probably the best)
    - skill setup that suits you (shield/heal on the same key on both bars(e.g shield on 4 on frontbar, heal on 4 on backbar which makes 4 your panicbutton), atleast two aoe dots, just one spammable)
    - practice a rotation for the boss fights so you can burn him down easily (good dps makes everything way easier)
    - learn the mechanics and add-spawns (the arena is not as random as you might think. it's mostly just bad timing)

Trust me, the arena can be fun.
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Swifigames
    Swifigames
    ✭✭✭
    It felt very good to vent it out. I don't mean to sound like a crybaby, I was feeling frustrated. I appreciate that it's not easy, not many things are an actual challenge anymore in many games, so it's nice this provides a very real test of skill.
    That being said, I feel slightly weaker having vented even though it felt good at the time. I will practice more restraint in the future in hopes of avoiding such behavior.

I've made it to the final stage at least. I've been scared to go into VMA with anything but my Magsorc, it's one of the safest builds I've ever played as and felt it would make it easiest for me on my first run. I'm getting very close, then I fail a few right away, come close again, repeat. I'm significantly worried that the changes coming to shield cast time are going to make this even more difficult for me...not looking forward to the nerf and VMA is my only reason for that as I don't PVP.

As for proper food/pots, I've tried Witchmother's and burned through some. I decided to try Clockwork Citrus Filet for the additional bonuses in hopes it would help more. I sought out the Bosmer's quest in CCity specifically just to be able to craft them. It may have helped, but only slightly. Pots...lord have I burned through stacks of those...the good ones too. Restore Health/Magicka w/major sorcery. The experience has become pricey to say the least.

I'm running Mother's Sorrow & Julianos all gold w/divine. I keep rotating Skoria with Iceheart and the results are head scratching. Sometimes I make it further with one than I do the other, and then I swap and it's vice versa, then I swap again and it's completely different than the previous attempts. I'm not understanding it tbh. I do well with both and don't do well with both, it seems completely random which monster set is helping me out more each round.
    I've tried changing up my CP for better results and still meh.
    I've watched multiple video's on it as a visual guide can always point out things I may have missed. It's frustrating as well...I watch these people just casually complete the final stage while I'm simply struggling to do the same thing even with similar skills, similar gear, similar strategy.

The biggest disappointment for me personally are the 300CP guides/builds for VMA that are working for all these other players and yet I struggle significantly at 775CP. I've just come to the conclusion that I genuinely suck at this game and am unable to complete one of it's prized sections. I hate how that feels. Like the game is deciding when I am allowed to win, not me. As if there is some illusion of control when in fact there is none...at least that's how it feels at times.

I'm sure I'll try again, though I have no idea when I may. I guess I should try some more before those shield changes take effect. Just thinking about it brought me down. This post started so positive :disappointed:

I'm just bad I guess.
    "We don't want other worlds, we want mirrors." - Gibarian
    --
    Nightblade (Bosmer) - Kremlok
    Templar (Khajiit) - Drops-the-Ball
    Templar (Altmer) - Lyranil of Alinor
    Necromancer (Altmer) - Kalomyr
    Sorcerer (Dunmer) - Lord Eldruin
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swifigames wrote: »
    It felt very good to vent it out. I don't mean to sound like a crybaby, I was feeling frustrated. I appreciate that it's not easy, not many things are an actual challenge anymore in many games, so it's nice this provides a very real test of skill.
    That being said, I feel slightly weaker having vented even though it felt good at the time. I will practice more restraint in the future in hopes of avoiding such behavior.

I've made it to the final stage at least. I've been scared to go into VMA with anything but my Magsorc, it's one of the safest builds I've ever played as and felt it would make it easiest for me on my first run. I'm getting very close, then I fail a few right away, come close again, repeat. I'm significantly worried that the changes coming to shield cast time are going to make this even more difficult for me...not looking forward to the nerf and VMA is my only reason for that as I don't PVP.

As for proper food/pots, I've tried Witchmother's and burned through some. I decided to try Clockwork Citrus Filet for the additional bonuses in hopes it would help more. I sought out the Bosmer's quest in CCity specifically just to be able to craft them. It may have helped, but only slightly. Pots...lord have I burned through stacks of those...the good ones too. Restore Health/Magicka w/major sorcery. The experience has become pricey to say the least.

I'm running Mother's Sorrow & Julianos all gold w/divine. I keep rotating Skoria with Iceheart and the results are head scratching. Sometimes I make it further with one than I do the other, and then I swap and it's vice versa, then I swap again and it's completely different than the previous attempts. I'm not understanding it tbh. I do well with both and don't do well with both, it seems completely random which monster set is helping me out more each round.
    I've tried changing up my CP for better results and still meh.
    I've watched multiple video's on it as a visual guide can always point out things I may have missed. It's frustrating as well...I watch these people just casually complete the final stage while I'm simply struggling to do the same thing even with similar skills, similar gear, similar strategy.

The biggest disappointment for me personally are the 300CP guides/builds for VMA that are working for all these other players and yet I struggle significantly at 775CP. I've just come to the conclusion that I genuinely suck at this game and am unable to complete one of it's prized sections. I hate how that feels. Like the game is deciding when I am allowed to win, not me. As if there is some illusion of control when in fact there is none...at least that's how it feels at times.

I'm sure I'll try again, though I have no idea when I may. I guess I should try some more before those shield changes take effect. Just thinking about it brought me down. This post started so positive :disappointed:

I'm just bad I guess.

Pet sorc is the best build for it. Shield + heavy attacks and the job is done. With basic magicka pots. And Witchmother's Brew or blue food even. Wasting gold on expensive foods and pots only matter if you want to do a Leaderboard score.

vMA is only bad at first because it is really challenging. Still hard on the second and third but a lot easier as you know what to expect. There is not really an RNG thing about mechanics, it's more like how fast and smart you can react. Even using the Sigils should be tactical.

I was a bit of addicted to vMA after 1st clear that I have even done it on my Magblade and StamSorc and planning to do on my other chars. I've only run like 15 times yet I got 4 bows, 4 inferno staves and 4 lightning staves thanks to the event(Orsinium) which doubled the chance to get the weapons even for my alts. But during the event is ridiculous to run vMA with that lag and latency there. Skills aren't fire etc.

Some people are very good at vMA, can do Flawless on 2nd run. I was close one but died like 5 times on the last arena then I didn't care, I only wanted the weapon and finish vMA.

After you do vMA a couple of time, everything in ESO seems a lot easier to be honest. People doing vMA without shield so it is definitely doable. I did in on StamSorc so possible. I'm not very good at vMA but when I'm doing I enjoy doing it, sometimes easier, sometimes harder.

Just don't give up really.
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao! making a forum thread just because you didnt get an inferno on your first run.

Can you imagine what the grind was before retraiting? With 300 CP less. With worse gear options.

I probably did 100+ runs before I got a Sharpened Bow and Inferno which was needed if you played on a high level back in One Tamriel and thats pretty insane RNG if you just need this many runs for those BiS weapons. Also on top of that you can also do multiple characters and get on the weekly leaderboard for more rewards which was also half of my vMA weapons probably. Id assume that right now just a completion with a score above 300k is probably leaderboard-worthy lmfao.
    Back then you actually had to try to get good scores otherwise you'd just get kicked off the leaderboard. Sorcs and Nightblades were like 540k minimum for a weekly finish on top 100.

Right now with the DPS through the roof, people are finishing vMA under 30 minutes for those 610k scores, just saying.

TL;DR: get used to bad RNG you dont always get what you want, stop being lazy, get multiple chars and get on those weekly leaderboards.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on September 22, 2018 7:42PM
  • HappyElephant
    HappyElephant
    ✭✭✭
    It took me a while but I am finally at the last boss. Still trying to develop a strategy around the mechanics to destroy the crystals upstairs.

I think DPS stats matter a lot in vMA. I am a Stamblade with 24k dps.
    And am only able to get to this point because of it. I also have golded-out ViciousOphidian + Briarheart + Velidreth.

I see this as a journey though. A regular regiment where twice a week I spend an hour to practice stage 9 in the evenings after work. I have more time during the weekend so I spend the afternoons to practice and learn the mechanics.

I dream of getting the last boss down - I have been trying for 3 weeks now.

Who knows, maybe someday I will get Valkyn Skoria on his knees begging for his life :)

Edited by HappyElephant on October 2, 2018 4:40PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It took me a while but I am finally at the last boss. Still trying to develop a strategy around the mechanics to destroy the crystals upstairs.

I think DPS stats matter a lot in vMA. I am a Stamblade with 24k dps.
    And am only able to get to this point because of golded-out ViciousOphidian + Briarheart + Velidreth.

I see this as a journey though. A regular regiment where twice a week I spend an hour to practice stage 9 in the evenings after work. I have more time during the weekend so I spend the afternoons to practice and learn the mechanics.

I dream of getting the last boss down - I have been trying for 3 weeks now.

Who knows, maybe someday I will get Valkyn Skoria on his knees begging for his life :)

Try putting on a skeleton pirat head and Chudan, Lord Warden or something shoulder. The extra resistance helps a lot.
  • HappyElephant
    HappyElephant
    ✭✭✭
    Try putting on a skeleton pirat head and Chudan, Lord Warden or something shoulder. The extra resistance helps a lot.

Will do. Thanks for the tip
    Edited by HappyElephant on October 2, 2018 4:43PM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did it first when you didn't get a guaranteed weapon AND couldn't save progress.

The weapon RNG is BS, but it's way way better than it used to be. But that RNG is the same for all content. The only stuff you can actually grind for and be guaranteed to get it is IC sets and what's on the golden.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've given up on it QQ