The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hireling Question

Grotleren
Grotleren
✭✭
So I've searched around for an hour or so, on google and forum, but can't find a good answer to the following question:

What affects the chance of getting Gold & Purple mats by Hirelings in emails?

Is it affected only by the Hireling passive itself, or also by the top on (Metalworking, etc) or any other passives.

I read somewhere the Metalworking and such only effects the mats you get, like ore etc, not the tempers etc.

PS4 EU Server
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    there are no modifiers for hirelings. it's just rng.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no modifier for what Hirelings get you, other than the Tier of the Hierling itself. That is mostly because the higher 3 Tier gives you more stuff.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    First, the level of the main skill passive will dictate what items you get (ex. with 9 points in Metal Working you'll get Rubedite), possibly it will also affect the likelihood of getting better rewards (ex. tempering alloy), similar to how writs work, but that's just a hunch, and I don't have lower tier crafters with hirelings to compare. Second, how many points you put in the hireling passive, which is clearly stated. For example if you just put 1 point you'll have less chance of getting those rewards. I always put 3 points since hireling cooldown is 24 (2) or 12 hours (3 points), and with a 24h cooldown the mail time will tend to jump forward every day, making it necessary to jump a day from time to time to bring them in line.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Grotleren
    Grotleren
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    First, the level of the main skill passive will dictate what items you get (ex. with 9 points in Metal Working you'll get Rubedite), possibly it will also affect the likelihood of getting better rewards (ex. tempering alloy), similar to how writs work, but that's just a hunch, and I don't have lower tier crafters with hirelings to compare. Second, how many points you put in the hireling passive, which is clearly stated. For example if you just put 1 point you'll have less chance of getting those rewards. I always put 3 points since hireling cooldown is 24 (2) or 12 hours (3 points), and with a 24h cooldown the mail time will tend to jump forward every day, making it necessary to jump a day from time to time to bring them in line.

I've noticed similar things myself, I feel I often get purple/gold or none upgrade mats at all on my main while on all others I get a lot of green/blue upgrade mats.

Think I'll put 3/3 hireling and 10/10 on top on some chars and just see if I notice a diff.

PS4 EU Server
  • Grotleren
    Grotleren
    ✭✭
    Grotleren wrote: »
    Asardes wrote: »

I've noticed similar things myself, I feel I often get purple/gold or none upgrade mats at all on my main while on all others I get a lot of green/blue upgrade mats.

Think I'll put 3/3 hireling and 10/10 on top on some chars and just see if I notice a diff.

I've come to the conclusion it's really is just RNG like said at first.

I've gotten 2 dreugh wax, and other gold/purple mats, several times now on chars with only full hireling.

Full main skill passive is only useful for getting small amounts of raw mats/trait stones and doing writs, it's nice to have several chars for writs thou.
    PS4 EU Server
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grotleren wrote: »
    So I've searched around for an hour or so, on google and forum, but can't find a good answer to the following question:

What affects the chance of getting Gold & Purple mats by Hirelings in emails?

Is it affected only by the Hireling passive itself, or also by the top on (Metalworking, etc) or any other passives.

I read somewhere the Metalworking and such only effects the mats you get, like ore etc, not the tempers etc.

I have 4 characters, all with maxed hirelings on all skills. I see a couple of gold mats each day on average I think.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you cannot get in game twice in a 24 hour period it is pointless to be 3/3 for hirelings as the 3rd skill point in a hireling only changes the delivery time to 12 hours. 2/3 and 3/3 have the same level and opportunity for materials in their deliveries.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you cannot get in game twice in a 24 hour period it is pointless to be 3/3 for hirelings as the 3rd skill point in a hireling only changes the delivery time to 12 hours. 2/3 and 3/3 have the same level and opportunity for materials in their deliveries.

I have all my hirelings maxed and I only log into the game once per day, around the same time every evening. I cycle through my characters doing writs, horses, etc. and with the full 24-hour cooldown on the (2/3) hirelings, I would have to log in later and later each day until eventually I would miss a day and start over the next.

By having hirelings maxed (3/3), you will ALWAYS get a shipment at least once per day on all characters. This is why I do it.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

I have all my hirelings maxed and I only log into the game once per day, around the same time every evening. I cycle through my characters doing writs, horses, etc. and with the full 24-hour cooldown on the (2/3) hirelings, I would have to log in later and later each day until eventually I would miss a day and start over the next.

By having hirelings maxed (3/3), you will ALWAYS get a shipment at least once per day on all characters. This is why I do it.

Eh, I don't seem to have that problem. But whatever works for you.
    The Vegemite Knight

• Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A different question: My blacksmithing hireling doesn't deliver anymore. Nevermind, it got delayed. This is the third time though.
    Edited by Facefister on September 7, 2018 10:09PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Unless they changed it, the description for the 3/3 hireling does indicate that more and better mats are possible than at level 2.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Unless they changed it, the description for the 3/3 hireling does indicate that more and better mats are possible than at level 2.

If it was they changed it back, I just checked to be sure:

hire1.jpg

hire2.jpg

hire3.jpg

Edited by SpAEkus on September 7, 2018 11:05PM
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Since around 2015 the tool tip has said that the 3rd skill point in a hireling is only 2 deliveries in 24 hours.
    UESP wrote:
    Lumberjack Hireling: A lumberjack hireling will send you wood and possibly other items every day.
    Lumberjack Hireling II: A lumberjack hireling will send you more wood and possibly better items every day.
    Lumberjack Hireling III: A Lumberjack hireling will search for resources for you. A new delivery from your hireling can be claimed the next time you log in or change zones, provided it has been no less than twelve hours since the last bundle.
    The Vegemite Knight

• Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I respeced to get rid of mine, I found 3 rubedite ores and a trait material once a day... underwhelming.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two cents: Hirelings at the minimal level on one character, just for the letters. The materials are just too insignificant to worry about. You'll do much better from the daily writs on more characters, as that will add the possibility of more surveys and master writs, too.
  • Lasinagol
    Lasinagol
    ✭✭✭
    What if all the resource bots are the hirilings?
    Altmer Supremist, filthy spell slinger since Nerevar was assasinated
  • AdamskiAlders
    AdamskiAlders
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    My two cents: Hirelings at the minimal level on one character, just for the letters. The materials are just too insignificant to worry about. You'll do much better from the daily writs on more characters, as that will add the possibility of more surveys and master writs, too.

Those hireling Letters are awesome to read, I definitely agree level 1 is worth it just for those. I also just recently found a book by Urbek in Summerset which I was so surprised but weirdly very happy to find as I felt quite invested in him after all the hireling mail he sent me.